PDA

View Full Version : A new beginning...

CrimsonTider
10-01-2011, 08:10 PM
Some of you know I am a teacher and even fewer know I work with children with special needs. On Tuesday, I was offered a position at an elementary school 5 minutes from my home. It is a wonderful opportunity to continue my growth and work with a different group of children.

However, this decision became much more difficult than I expected. The school I am leaving is an inner city middle school. One can only imagine the challenges involved with this student population. I have often wonderded why I put as much effort into it as I do. Well, all of my questions were answered yesterday. The day was spent seeing young men, of whom often tell me to "shut up", with tears flowing from their eyes and at a loss for words. Kids who have threatened to shoot me, giving me hugs and asking me to not leave.

I do NOT make this thread to "toot my own horn." Rather, I share this with you to send a message: Be careful of your actions as you never know who is watching. My grandfather use to tell me, "Cuz, character is who you are when noone is looking." Treat each day as an opportunity to set an example for you never know how's life you will touch/change.

WoundedEagle
10-01-2011, 08:18 PM
Touching to say the least. Did you make the decision? I can't relate. But there is one thing I know. I am in High school and can't remember the names of my middle school teacher. Yeah, it is going to suck to leave, but you have to look at the brighter side. Kids aren't going to threaten to shoot you in elementary unless their.... never mind. I would say to go with the elementary school. My opinion doesn't matter, but if you can do your best with kids in elementary to show a kind heart, maybe when they get to middle school they won't be threatening to shoot their teacher. Just my 2 pence

Lillypink
10-01-2011, 08:20 PM
Touching to say the least. Did you make the decision? I can't relate. But there is one thing I know. I am in High school and can't remember the names of my middle school teacher. Yeah, it is going to suck to leave, but you have to look at the brighter side. Kids aren't going to threaten to shoot you in elementary unless their.... never mind. I would say to go with the elementary school. My opinion doesn't matter, but if you can do your best with kids in elementary to show a kind heart, maybe when they get to middle school they won't be threatening to shoot their teacher. Just my 2 pence NINJA!!!! :eek: (103 post ;) )

Ellyidol
10-01-2011, 08:21 PM
Good luck, Crim. I hope your decision turns out to be the best thing for you :)

Always good to hear words of encouragement, no matter what source.

Just to lighten up the mood, at least there's more time for SL/PL now! :D

CrimsonTider
10-01-2011, 08:40 PM
@Wounded: I took the new position. And the "gonna shoot you" example was to show change in a situation. I have grown very fond of this particular student and worked hard on his behavioral issues.

@Elly: Thanks bro! And I don't know about more PL/SL. The new position will require greater responsibility. But I'm very good with time management. ;)

SUPAPRODIGY
10-01-2011, 08:40 PM
“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.”

Just dont give up....

CrimsonTider
10-01-2011, 08:47 PM
“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.”

Just dont give up....

Not giving up... quite the opposite. :) But I do like the quote.

Fncrazy
10-01-2011, 09:12 PM
Crim that is awesome man.

Silentarrow
10-01-2011, 09:14 PM
Do what your heart tells you to do Crim!

Sassinya
10-01-2011, 09:17 PM
My daughter is in elementary school, taking special ed courses in reading and math. I can only pray for a teacher like you to come along now while she still wants to do well in school. Good for you! Keep doing the next right thing and the next good thing will happen!

CanonicalKoi
10-03-2011, 09:07 PM
Nothing to add Crim, except to say thank you to you for what you do. :)

CrimsonTider
10-03-2011, 09:13 PM
Nothing to add Crim, except to say thank you to you for what you do. :)

Thanks again for the kind words.

Piosidon
10-03-2011, 10:36 PM
Also remember you need to understand them. Like think about why they would threaten you with a gun. It might be because they grew up in a violent family, had some earlier experiences that shook them, or any diseases that effect their mind and how they think like they may think violence will solve everything.