PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Simple Icon Next To Enemy Health Denoting Damage-Giving Type

Ephemeris
10-02-2011, 09:56 AM
Alright, hopefully my title isn't too convoluted. :)

With time/experience, it becomes fairly easy to discern whether the mob that you're fighting deals single-target versus AOE-style damage. When a new campaign is released (or when someone is new to the game, in general), however, it isn't necessarily easy to tell what you're up against. In my mind, something as simple as putting, say, an "l" (indicating a single-target offensive) or an "O" (indicating a multi-target offensive) would help ease this learning curve. As most of my suggestions are, I would recommend that such a feature be available via an opt-in approach (i.e., the player would need to enable it via their Options panel).

I realize that this could become a little tricky to implement, as there are a number of mobs with single-target regular attacks and AOE-style special attacks. I don't (yet) have a great suggestion for such mob types, but my initial thoughts around "cataloging" such mobs would be to either add a secondary icon or to color-code the original icon (i.e., a green "l" would indicate pure, single-target offensive abilities, a yellow "l" would suggest single-target traditional offensive abilities with limited AOE-style special attacks, and a red "l" would hint at a single-target normal attacker with frequent/deadly AOE abilities).

It may be more trouble than it's worth to add such a feature, but I wanted to throw it out there. Thoughts?

Silentarrow
10-02-2011, 10:03 AM
Not needed, but I wouldn't mind it being added.

Ephemeris
10-02-2011, 11:35 AM
Not needed, but I wouldn't mind it being added.

Thanks for the feedback. Just out of curiosity, what makes you say that this isn't needed?

Silentarrow
10-02-2011, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Just out of curiosity, what makes you say that this isn't needed?

I think it's not needed because a player can easily tell if an enemy does AoE or single target damage.

Darkfader
10-02-2011, 12:58 PM
Couple toughts about this. As idea itself it looks good and propably useful for players. As problematic I see new players, they won't visit forums(mostly) and mostly wouldn't have any idea what those icons means. Ofc if devs would add this into ingame tutorial then yes.

Also another side suggestion I would like to see in pve that level of mobs is shown next to their health bar, It would help new players to know right area for themselves. I have lately seen many players asking in towns that why they won't level up, and where they should go at their level.

Ephemeris
10-02-2011, 01:26 PM
Good suggestions, Darkfader -- I agree. You bring up a valid point on new players likely not understanding what the icons mean (less they visit the forums or the tutorial be modified to introduce their purpose).

Also, +1 on adding a level indicator. :)