PDA

View Full Version : Guide: Make your team-mates proud.

Hankomachos
10-02-2011, 05:57 PM
OK. I'm sure there are already guides discussing good teamwork but I feel my insight is needed. I've been running Many PUG games lately and to say the least,
I'm dissapointed. I'm not exactly sure if nuris halllows is genuinely hard or some players cant play their role. I'm not saying everybody can't play well, but what I've seen, I'm not entirely sure. I'm not biasing any class, because I have at least one of each.
1) Bears, you must CC well!
Between bears hiding in the back of the group, not knowing how to clump enemy's into the wall or whatever the case may be, it seems a lot don't know how.
This is how: run by a mob of enemy's, taunt them run near a wall or corner and beckon them right into the wall. Once they're clumped up nicely; run out and stomp them even farther into the wall. Hell-scream them for extra stunning. Now, if you are with a good team, they should have no problem nuking the enemy's. Rinse and repeat. By the way, if you're running with another bear and it seems like that bear knows what he's doing; let him do it. If he makes a good pull, and you scatter the mob all over the place then you won't be the most liked member of your team... to say the least.
2) Mages, support your team!
This seems to be a reoccurring issue: some mages can't keep the team alive. The other night I was playing with a friend, and a mage and a bird; my friend died so i kept going and figured the mage would revive him but she just ran by and left him to rot. (lol)
As a mage, you should keep your team alive; and in return you stay alive by the bear keeping the aggro. As long as you revive, heal, buff, and try not to lead (if a bear's present, let him lead since he has CC skills) then you're pug team will respect you and perhaps thank you as ell. :D
3) Let the bear lead!
If there is a bear present.. let him lead. Even if you're juiced up on a 4x combo elixir and you're a pally; a skilled bear always leads better. Now I know if the bear isn't using an elixir you may get a little impatient, but at least the mage or bird wont die if the bears takes all the heat.
4) Birds, use you're skills!
Some birds click auto-attack, sit back and drink a soda, and do barely anything. Yes, you can sit back, but at least use your skills. You were blessed with dps, and powerful arrow skills! Use 'em! Kill 'em! Make your team proud that you killed that boss so uber quickly!
5) Be respectful!
Don't join a game, shooting your mouth off or be in any way disrespectful. It is, after all a game.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Follow these steps and your nuris hallows experience will go so much easier. :)
Oh and it wouldn't let me post this in the guides section so I'm posting this here. Any constructive feedback is welcome.

Cytokinesis
10-02-2011, 06:00 PM
Exactly... usually some obnoxious mage or bird just charge forward into the mob, die and scream "REV!". Four Words, LET THE BEAR LEAD!!!!

13lacklegionz
10-02-2011, 06:02 PM
I think a skilled pally with a 4x elixir will always lead better than a skilled bear, a he/she has 3x damage, 3x armor and more movement speed. Due to the elixir, it would be very unlikely that a skilled pally would die. Just my opinion.

NECROREAPER
10-02-2011, 06:34 PM
I think a skilled pally with a 4x elixir will always lead better than a skilled bear, a he/she has 3x damage, 3x armor and more movement speed. Due to the elixir, it would be very unlikely that a skilled pally would die. Just my opinion.

It's also very unlikely for an unelixired, skilled bear to die. I the reason why a bear should lead is for CC, something which no other class can do as well as the bear class.

Oh and Hank, is this the result of out conversation from earlier? Hahahahaha

pastrychef
10-02-2011, 06:54 PM
It's also very unlikely for an unelixired, skilled bear to die. I the reason why a bear should lead is for CC, something which no other class can do as well as the bear class.

+1

Also, there's the matter of constantly taunting to take aggro.

Hankomachos
10-02-2011, 08:37 PM

Pretty much! :D lol

mackjack
10-02-2011, 08:38 PM
And if birds and mages can hold off on their auto-attack/ice/thorn until after bears beckon, it makes the beckon more effective as well.

Hankomachos
10-02-2011, 08:40 PM
And if birds and mages can hold off on their auto-attack/ice/thorn until after bears beckon, it makes the beckon more effective as well.

Very true. :)

Doubletime
10-02-2011, 08:54 PM
Typically the skill progression is something along the lines of:
Bear - taunt, beckon
Bird - thorn wall
Mage - lightning and Bear - Stomp
Bird - shatter/blast combo and Mage - ice/fire combo.

If anything is still alive - I would be shocked.

Whirlzap
10-02-2011, 11:07 PM
Great guide!
Kinda like the HOW TO NOT BE A NOOB GUIDE, but with mote detail and concrete-ness.
I like this part:

So many mages these days think they're there to Revive and dish out damage.
I''m pretty sure 80% of level 55-61 mages think to get some critical hits when they buff, instead of thinking to buff their teammates. MORE importantly, 90% of mages probably heal because THEY have low HP, rather than healing because their party does. I'm pretty sure 50% of mages don't even glance at their party members' HP bars at all.

Hankomachos
10-03-2011, 06:24 AM
Great guide!
Kinda like the HOW TO NOT BE A NOOB GUIDE, but with mote detail and concrete-ness.
I like this part:

So many mages these days think they're there to Revive and dish out damage.
I''m pretty sure 80% of level 55-61 mages think to get some critical hits when they buff, instead of thinking to buff their teammates. MORE importantly, 90% of mages probably heal because THEY have low HP, rather than healing because their party does. I'm pretty sure 50% of mages don't even glance at their party members' HP bars at all.

Ikr! I was actually gonna name this:how to not be a noob at level 60, but I thought it sounded kinda harsh.. hahah

Pakax
10-03-2011, 11:26 AM
lol... you are describing what makes the difference between a good player who has been curious about improving his skills and the 'others'.
As for the skill progression:

Typically the skill progression is something along the lines of:
Bear - taunt, beckon / Mage: weakness + buffs party
Bird - thorn wall quickly followed by lightening
Bear - Stomp / Bird - shatter/blast combo and Mage - ice/fire combo.

All dead. It's all a bout timing tho. Get one of those wrong, and you get the efficiency down by 80%, particularly if one of the players scatters the enemies in the middle.

Rare
10-03-2011, 11:41 AM
3) Let the bear lead!
If there is a bear present.. let him lead. Even if you're juiced up on a 4x combo elixir and you're a pally; a skilled bear always leads better. Now I know if the bear isn't using an elixir you may get a little impatient, but at least the mage or bird wont die if the bears takes all the heat.

Rarely if ever happens during this roid era. Not that it matters much when everyone is on the juice.

Rare
10-03-2011, 11:45 AM
+1

Also, there's the matter of constantly taunting to take aggro.

I'm not going to lie. Taunting in the middle of a group mobs in Nuri (especially in Haunted Symphony) usually means death without support from a mage or 3.

I'm pretty sure my death count has jumped almost 500 since the Circus came to town. Doesn't seem like much. But it is for a bear.

ATL

pastrychef
10-03-2011, 12:09 PM
I'm not going to lie. Taunting in the middle of a group mobs in Nuri (especially in Haunted Symphony) usually means death without support from a mage or 3.

I'm pretty sure my death count has jumped almost 500 since the Circus came to town. Doesn't seem like much. But it is for a bear.

ATL

Symphony requires teamwork more than any other map in Nuri's. The mobs with their special attacks makes it very dangerous when not on the juice. That being said, it's still important to taunt and take aggro so the mages and birds can safely come and finish off the mobs you clump up. It helps to run with people you are familiar with and who are familiar with your playing style and the routes you take.

As for the high number of deaths, yes, 500 is A LOT for a bear. The only thing I can suggest is to look at the gear you are using... Remember, dodge is the single most important factor for survival. Give royal sewer helm and plate another look. In my opinion, it's better than any glyph for demonic stuff out there for a tanking bear.

wvhills
10-03-2011, 12:10 PM
OK. I'm sure there are already guides discussing good teamwork but I feel my insight is needed. I've been running Many PUG games lately and to say the least,
I'm dissapointed. I'm not exactly sure if nuris halllows is genuinely hard or some players cant play their role. I'm not saying everybody can't play well, but what I've seen, I'm not entirely sure. I'm not biasing any class, because I have at least one of each.
Between bears hiding in the back of the group, not knowing how to clump enemy's into the wall or whatever the case may be, it seems a lot don't know how.
This is how: run by a mob of enemy's, taunt them run near a wall or corner and beckon them right into the wall. Once they're clumped up nicely; run out and stomp them even farther into the wall. Hell-scream them for extra stunning. Now, if you are with a good team, they should have no problem nuking the enemy's. Rinse and repeat. By the way, if you're running with another bear and it seems like that bear knows what he's doing; let him do it. If he makes a good pull, and you scatter the mob all over the place then you won't be the most liked member of your team... to say the least.
This seems to be a reoccurring issue: some mages can't keep the team alive. The other night I was playing with a friend, and a mage and a bird; my friend died so i kept going and figured the mage would revive him but she just ran by and left him to rot. (lol)
As a mage, you should keep your team alive; and in return you stay alive by the bear keeping the aggro. As long as you revive, heal, buff, and try not to lead (if a bear's present, let him lead since he has CC skills) then you're pug team will respect you and perhaps thank you as ell. :D
3) Let the bear lead!
Some birds click auto-attack, sit back and drink a soda, and do barely anything. Yes, you can sit back, but at least use your skills. You were blessed with dps, and powerful arrow skills! Use 'em! Kill 'em! Make your team proud that you killed that boss so uber quickly!
5) Be respectful!
Don't join a game, shooting your mouth off or be in any way disrespectful. It is, after all a game.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Follow these steps and your nuris hallows experience will go so much easier. :)
Oh and it wouldn't let me post this in the guides section so I'm posting this here. Any constructive feedback is welcome.

All good points! I have a few minor things to add:
It seems to me a good bear is the key to having a good, non-elixired nuri's run. I've played mostly on my bear I feel like it's a lot harder to crowd control in nuri's than sewers because of the wide open spaces (in hallows and boggy waters esp). The way I do it is to always stay left and group the mobs towards the wall. If someone needs to clear then continue in a clockwise pattern around the edge of the wide open portions. In some spots it requires a "slingshot beckon" (beckoning while running towards the wall) otherwise the mobs aren't in range when u actually make it to a wall.

Another thing that is CRITICAL, imo, is the distance you keep from ur teammates. In other maps a bear could group a mob, leave early and group the next mob. This is still way to go but if you get too far ahead you will be "stoned" and one shotted. Lol. You should be just far enough ahead to get the mobs beckoned and against the wall when ur team arrives to unleash their combos. So it's important for the bear to not get to far ahead but it's also important for the rest of the group to stay with the bear and not stop to chat or run to open a chest and collect the 23 goldpieces or to go back and kill that one enemy you missed. Stay with the bear!

Hankomachos
10-03-2011, 01:23 PM
3) Let the bear lead!
5) Be respectful!

All good points! I have a few minor things to add:
It seems to me a good bear is the key to having a good, non-elixired nuri's run. I've played mostly on my bear I feel like it's a lot harder to crowd control in nuri's than sewers because of the wide open spaces (in hallows and boggy waters esp). The way I do it is to always stay left and group the mobs towards the wall. If someone needs to clear then continue in a clockwise pattern around the edge of the wide open portions. In some spots it requires a "slingshot beckon" (beckoning while running towards the wall) otherwise the mobs aren't in range when u actually make it to a wall.

Another thing that is CRITICAL, imo, is the distance you keep from ur teammates. In other maps a bear could group a mob, leave early and group the next mob. This is still way to go but if you get too far ahead you will be "stoned" and one shotted. Lol. You should be just far enough ahead to get the mobs beckoned and against the wall when ur team arrives to unleash their combos. So it's important for the bear to not get to far ahead but it's also important for the rest of the group to stay with the bear and not stop to chat or run to open a chest and collect the 23 goldpieces or to go back and kill that one enemy you missed. Stay with the bear!

Yes.
I find it REALLY hard to keep aggro off the "squishys". No matter how much I taunt/ stomp to gain aggro; it seems enemy's want to get the mages & birds first, LOL.
I also agree that bears shouldn't go to far ahead, nor should they stay behind. :)

NECROREAPER
10-03-2011, 01:30 PM
Idk what is is but I never have a hard time keeping agro, especially at bosses, they seem to love me

Aveea
10-03-2011, 01:34 PM
Great post Hank! Thanks

Walkhardd
10-03-2011, 01:47 PM
Good guide..nice to have it all in one place..as a mage I've always made my# 1 priority buff/heal...(pretty sure 80% of mages don't think that way) if there are 2 + mages doing that , the group should never die..and I just want to thank all the bears that do their job well!! And to the rest of the bears out there...read this! :)

wvhills
10-03-2011, 02:05 PM
Good guide..nice to have it all in one place..as a mage I've always made my# 1 priority buff/heal...(pretty sure 80% of mages don't think that way) if there are 2 + mages doing that , the group should never die..and I just want to thank all the bears that do their job well!! And to the rest of the bears out there...read this! :)

Welcome to the forums! You're a level 55 mage aren't you? We did some runs over the weekend on my bear, enif...
You were all elixired up. Haha.

drewcapu
10-03-2011, 02:15 PM
my bear prefers to Bcc:

Hankomachos
10-03-2011, 02:20 PM
I just did another pug run... still non reviving mages, mages trying to lead(and dieing) blah blah. (Lol)
Thanks for the praising. :D

Hankomachos
10-03-2011, 02:21 PM
Idk what is is but I never have a hard time keeping agro, especially at bosses, they seem to love me
Lmao! Of course they do... who dosen't love pumpkins..?! :p