PDA

View Full Version : bank vault entry point broken

Fusionstrike
10-03-2011, 02:45 PM
It seems that the entry point (the point at which player enter the map) for the Balefort Sewers bank vault is broken. Ever since one of the patches released in the last week, I've found that every time I've tried to enter the vault, I've arrived right in the middle of the room only to get mugged and killed by all four foes.

I know that entry into this area has had problems for a while. See this thread:

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?19178-Known-bugs-in-Balefort-Sewers

However, the problem has gotten much worse. It used to be that anyone joining the vault "late" (via join game or join friend) would appear right in the middle of the foes. However, anyone entering the "normal" way through the entrance in the hideout would correctly enter at the entrance room off the main vault chamber. Since last week, though, I've found that I always drop into the main chamber even when entering from the hideout passage. Because you drop right into the middle of the mobs with no warning, you're pretty much dead before you can do anything. This essentially makes the bank vault impossible. The vault needs to be fixed right away to have players enter at the correct point all the time.

Here's my idea of what's probably happening to create the bug. First, there's been a long-standing bug that anyone other than the first person to enter the vault lands at the wrong place. Why or how that bug happened I don't have any ideas on, but it's apparently been that way a long time based on the thread I linked above. What I think happened recently is that somehow behind the scenes some developer "optimized" the use of the vault map such that if there is a vault instance that someone abandoned without killing any of the mobs, that vault instance is reused as the landing point when someone enters from the hideout entrance (rather than create a new instance). However, this then trips the existing bug that anyone other than the first arrival lands in the wrong place. This essentially makes it impossible to enter the vault in the right arrival location until someone clears the "broken" instance of the vault out. In order to do that, one must survive being dropped in the middle of all four mobs for an unprotected beat-down and somehow kill them all four on one.

Whether anything I wrote is actually the underlying problem or not, the fact remains that the problem has to be fixed. Right now, the only way to get a "correct" entry into the vault is to be lucky enough to be the first one in and clear it out. If that person leaves the vault undone, everyone else is now doomed to be dropped into the death trap version of the vault from then on. As a result, the vault quest and therefore access to the steel crafting material is essentially removed from the game.