PDA

View Full Version : Is Spamming Bannable?

Zeus
10-03-2011, 06:44 PM
Hello STS Community,

It has recently come to my attention that spamming is not a ban worthy offense. I have one question, If it is not a ban worthy offense, why are people being banned for it? I know a few well known players permanently banned for it. Now, if memory serves me correctly, the developers of STS can ban for any reason whatsoever, and I respect that. But, if I’m also correct, explicitly stating that spamming is not punishable by a ban voids that, no? If so, I think a few players deserve an apology and to be unbanned, correct? It’s just a thought.

Thoughts, Comments, Decisions? Please let me know. I would particularly appreciate a developer’s input.

Arterra
10-03-2011, 06:59 PM
Usually more than one reason in a ban relating to spamming I imagine.
We do have the ignore button, but who knows.

Ayc2000
10-03-2011, 07:00 PM
it should be like, a mute, the longer you spam, or the more numerous, the longer the mute. after like, say, 10 times, you get temp banned then another 5 and perma

Artemis
10-03-2011, 07:05 PM
Editted out(:

KingFu
10-03-2011, 07:06 PM
I read in the TOS spamming is against the rules. I don't think devs ban much for it, it's more so kinda, added to your record I guess? And makes other offenses look worse:p

thewolf
10-03-2011, 07:09 PM
Did I've seen a lot of spammers though

WoundedEagle
10-03-2011, 07:09 PM
http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?11694-Pocket-Legends-Terms-of-Service

Moogerfooger
10-03-2011, 07:10 PM
Honestly, just use the ignore button :) if the devs, who are pretty busy anyway, had to chase down every spammer, nothing else would ever get done.

Only thing I can think of them taking action on is someone who is repeatedly reported for spamming, or running some kind of scam via spam like the "doublez yer gold!!!! honest" scam.

Zeus
10-03-2011, 07:12 PM
I realize that in the TOS spamming is against the rules. However, when you click to report and send the email; the email states that spam is not ban worthy. If it isn't, shouldn't players who were banned for spamming get unbanned? I find it a bit contradictory.

Moogerfooger
10-03-2011, 07:14 PM
How do you know for a fact that players were banned for spamming? Seeing as devs do not discuss bans with other players, everything else is hearsay :D

Wasn't aware of said message, but that could have been a semi-recent change for all we know...I've never even seen it, I just thwack the ignore button with a vengeance!

Zeus
10-03-2011, 07:16 PM
How do you know for a fact that players were banned for spamming? Seeing as devs do not discuss bans with other players, everything else is hearsay :D

Wasn't aware of said message, but that could have been a semi-recent change for all we know...I've never even seen it, I just thwack the ignore button with a vengeance!

I didn't discuss it. I was enlightened on the information. Also, I believe it was do not discuss anybody's ban in public, which I think I'm not breaking. :D

RedRyder
10-03-2011, 07:16 PM
Usually spamming is one of other reasons of the banning. Like an added offense.

Zeus
10-03-2011, 07:18 PM
I just realized, stupid me, Bans are not to be discussed in public. I haven't broken that rule on this thread, but is this thread itself breaking the rule? If that is the case, somebody let me know so I can lock it up.

Hankomachos
10-03-2011, 07:20 PM
i read the spam part and its for the forums, not in game. correct me if I'm wrong.

Artemis
10-03-2011, 07:20 PM

Its called texting :P

RedRyder
10-03-2011, 07:21 PM
Discussing player specific bans aren't allowed. You're speaking in general, and if those that happened to mention specific players in this thread edit their post, then I don't see the problem here :)

Spekticle
10-03-2011, 07:23 PM
it should be like, a mute, the longer you spam, or the more numerous, the longer the mute. after like, say, 10 times, you get temp banned then another 5 and perma

What if you are attempting to sell something

RedRyder
10-03-2011, 07:33 PM
What if you are attempting to sell something

Spamming would cause everyone to put you on ignore, not getting your items sold any sooner

Spekticle
10-03-2011, 07:44 PM
Spamming would cause everyone to put you on ignore, not getting your items sold any sooner

touché

StompArtist
10-03-2011, 07:50 PM
Spamming is bannable according to TOS but likely folks are not reporting it much and probably less enforced than other seemingly worst offenses...

my 2 cents.

Otukura
10-03-2011, 07:55 PM

What if you're not spamming about items?

Hankomachos
10-03-2011, 07:58 PM
I'd really like to hear a dev give us the answer.

StompArtist
10-03-2011, 07:58 PM
A dev with a twisted sense of humour could do something real funny after the previous post.

Ayc2000
10-03-2011, 08:00 PM
lol otu...

Moogerfooger
10-03-2011, 08:04 PM
Its called texting :P

It's called you still don't know it for a fact unless they sent you a screenie of the message as to why they were banned ;) if I got banned for some offense, I could text you all day long and say it was for spamming...but that doesn't make it true :D

I'm just tweaking Parf a little, never mind me, lol.

Otukura
10-03-2011, 08:11 PM
I'm just tweaking Parf a little, never mind me, lol.

BAM PARF! /caps

Parf!

parf

hey Parf....

Parf,

XghostzX
10-03-2011, 08:13 PM
Yeah apollo i agree. I miss all of my friends that spammed just from a little of boredom and i miss them all :( they contributed so much to STS and its developers seems unfair to them :/

Roc
10-03-2011, 08:37 PM
Unfortunately when rules are reversed or altered, there are those who don't get the benefits newcomers do much like in real-life. :dejection: However, players all carry a responsibility to be respectful to others and should spamming indeed be a violation of that respect then...well, that's that. :dread:

MoarPewPew
10-04-2011, 09:03 AM
"5. Non-Constructive posts are prohibited.
Below is a non-exhaustive list of examples of non-constructive posts. As a rule, non-constructive posting is not permitted:
Spam - this is considered to be repetitive posting of the same topic or text or nonsensical posts that have no substance and are often designed to annoy other forum users."

I should add...

"These rules are here to keep the forums a nice place for everyone to visit. If you break the rules, you may find that your access is suspended or removed. This includes access to any Spacetime Studios games."

There you go, taken from the forum rules.

So yes Spamming can result in Bans.

WhoIsThis
10-04-2011, 09:29 AM
You know if they actually banned people for "non constructive" posts, how many people would be booted from here?

Navygreen
10-04-2011, 09:31 AM
You know if they actually banned people for "non constructive" posts, how many people would be booted from here?

Oh yea.. But i'm sure that rule is there to keep the forum relatively clean... You know? Otherwise it'd probably just be a mad free-for-all lol :star:

WhoIsThis
10-04-2011, 09:34 AM
Oh yea.. But i'm sure that rule is there to keep the forum relatively clean... You know? Otherwise it'd probably just be a mad free-for-all lol :star:

STS is generally more strict than other forums I've seen.

Navygreen
10-04-2011, 09:40 AM
STS is generally more strict than other forums I've seen.

This could be true. We have to all remember that there's a large number of young people on these boards. Not to mention, because it's a game for all ages, it should be looked at as a friendly place for all ages. The only way to achieve that goal is to set strict rules from the beginning and to actually enforce them. Yeah, i've been to some forums that have very lax rules and I'd be scared to post because nothing but flames or just nonsense going on. There's nothing I can learn from a place like that you know? What's a forum if you're scared to even ask questions?

So I can appreciate the rules here. And I think spamming should definately be a rule lol. I hate that. :victorious:

wvhills
10-04-2011, 09:46 AM
spamming may not be bannable but bananas are spammable.

:banana:

Samhayne
10-04-2011, 10:23 AM
http://support.spacetimestudios.com/entries/20428617-i-ve-been-banned-help

Hankomachos
10-04-2011, 10:29 AM

I didn't see anything about spamming in game. Yes? No? O.o

wvhills
10-04-2011, 10:35 AM
I didn't see anything about spamming in game. Yes? No? O.o

I didn't either so they should be reinstated. Either that or ban everyone who spams just to keep it fair.

Nick41324
10-04-2011, 10:40 AM
Apollo, I think I saw you in cs last night talking about how spamming is bannable. I even remember seeing samhayne talking one time about the new update and how there was a bug. In the bug, you weren't able to scroll up and down to see the history of what people had said before you. Samhayne said "all you have to do is spam a few messages to get older ones to appear" those may not have been his exact words but I do remember him talking about you being able to spam a few messages. (obviously they don't care...)

I'll look arround for his post.

starsavior
10-04-2011, 10:55 AM
I say lol like alot is that counted as spamming.

RedRyder
10-04-2011, 10:59 AM

Obvious troll is obvious

Obvious troll is obvious

Obvious troll is obvious

Obvious troll is obvious

Obvious troll is obvious

Obvious troll is obvious

Obvious troll is obvious

Obvious troll is obvious

Obvious troll is obvious

Obvious troll is obvious

Obvious troll is obvious

Obvious troll is obvious

Obvious troll is obvious

Obvious troll is obvious

Obvious troll is obvious

stevieoopsie
10-04-2011, 12:10 PM
"Now, if memory serves me correctly, the developers of STS can ban for any reason whatsoever, and I respect that."

I find that statement to be deeply irritating. You obviously have never been to communist North Korea.

StompArtist
10-04-2011, 12:15 PM
"Now, if memory serves me correctly, the developers of STS can ban for any reason whatsoever, and I respect that."

I find that statement to be deeply irritating. You obviously have never been to communist North Korea.

STS Games are private property and belong to STS. Just like you are allowed to kick anyone out of your house they can kick anyone out of their game. North Korea is a different scenario altogether since there is no private property and the country is controlled by one man who has absolute power over the masses and can (has!) infringe on basic human rights as ratified by the international community. Let's be fair in our comparisons here.

stevieoopsie
10-04-2011, 12:19 PM
And I wonder why people would spend real money to play a character that belongs to someone else. You can kick someone out of your house when he violates a rental contract, but not for "any reason whatsoever". A landlord that kicks guests out for any reason whatsoever should be absolutely despised, not respected.

stevieoopsie
10-04-2011, 12:29 PM
In North Korea, there is no private property and everything you have is leased from the government. The government legally can seize your properties at any time for any reason whatsoever. So the two entities have a very similar structure there.

The only difference is STS chooses not to seize your private property "for any reason whatsoever". The structure is the same, the difference is choice and discipline.

Samhayne
10-04-2011, 01:22 PM

Sorry, I had written out a more detailed response (in a meeting, lol!) but it got lost when trying to post.

Anyway, Apollo, if you know someone who feels they have been banned unjustly, then by all means, pass along the above URL and have them get in contact with us via the support portal at http://support.spacetimestudios.com

The bottom line is, we are very committed to keeping the play environment of our games fun and jerk-free. If you're annoying other people enough to the point where there are multiple reports against your account, then you might receive a temporary suspension with a warning to not be a disruption. If you continue, or you engage in other behavior (like swearing or scamming, for instance) that is in violation of our Terms of Service, then you'll probably be banned.

Bottom line, please abide by our Terms of Service: http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?11694-Pocket-Legends-Terms-of-Service

We ask that you abide by the following rules:

Keep all chat clean!
Do not ask for another player's account information! And don’t give anyone else your own!
Do not do anything that will ruin another user's play experience!

Or you can, and will, be banned.

Thread locked.

If anyone has further questions they would like to discuss with me, please click my name on the left and send me a private message. Thanks!