PDA

View Full Version : Got rejected from National Honors Society?

Zeus
10-03-2011, 07:24 PM
So, I wanted to know if it would affect me?

I am more than enraged about it, as I qualified more than half the students in there. Based on experience, is it some self glorified college guideline extra curricular?

My resume in short was: 4.1 GPA, Medical Internship at Tri-City Medical Hospital (On-Going), Leader of our school Blood Drive, Junior Historian of OHS Health Academy, and almost 80 Hours of Community Service. I am also going to be either the Valedictorian or Salutatorian.

There were people that got in with 3.5 GPAs and no extra curriculars. Therefore, I am more than irate.

Also, I may have embarrassed the teacher that is in charge of it last year and now I think he hates me. What happened was, in a chemistry presentation in front of the superintendent, a meeting I was allowed to attend, I noticed he incorrectly balanced his equations and corrected him on it. Of course, that didn't sit well with the Superintendent. Is it possible the teacher can reject me for that and is he even allowed to?

I'm sorry for the grammatical errors; I am sure there are quite a few. I just don't type very grammatically when angry.

Survivorfan
10-03-2011, 08:12 PM
Better luck next time buddy, if there is a next time. I'm clueless on this topic lol.
And man do u qualify, I think you should have gotten in ;)

StompArtist
10-03-2011, 08:14 PM
Look at the achievements of their members and lead a better life.

Nickyeagle
10-03-2011, 08:29 PM
Apollo, I don't know if it will affect you. It probabily won't but I wish I was as smart as you. :)

Necrobane
10-03-2011, 08:34 PM
Quite frankly Parth, if your GPA was that much better then others who got in, IMO long term, you'll be the one gettin' places :)

Lowlyspy
10-03-2011, 08:40 PM
Hmm, that shows that someone is insecure about their teaching style. I dont know if he was having a bad day or what but a teacher should be proud when a student corrects them; it shows that they are listening.

He definitely shouldnt be allowed to turn you away for something as trivial as you correcting his math. Best thing i can advise is talk to someone higher up in the society. If you still get turned down so what? People have lead very successful lives even without some stupid society, who in my opinion put the ones that aren't in it down for not being in it, so dont stress it :)

Gluttony
10-03-2011, 08:40 PM
I don't believe that a single teacher can reject you on his word alone, but since he was a former head of that program I imagine his acceptance/rejection list can carry weight. There should be an appeals process and if you took your story to the school paper or local paper I bet you could get some traction and eventually leverage.

Being in the top two of a class should all but guarantee you a spot in NHS, that coupled with extra curriculars should be plenty to meet the requirements. Finally, I don't recall a cap on the members accepted to NHS and if there isn't an actual limit to the number of people who can qualify your voice should be heard; however if NHS has accepted everyone they can your "appeal" may become a bit more difficult.

pwnpear
10-03-2011, 09:31 PM
Wow you're big in PL and Life!

thewolf
10-03-2011, 09:42 PM
NA I dont think so

Cytokinesis
10-04-2011, 05:56 PM
hmmm.. i signed up for this but idk if i'll get accepted XD

Kraze
10-04-2011, 06:10 PM
Eh I get the rage buddy trust me. But you are better than that I say use it as a motivational thing

Paar
10-04-2011, 06:21 PM
Parth dont let it bother you ... Your going places in life , Your gonna have a good career, great family, and great friends. Keep up the good work and as the olsen twins would say on Full House " You got it dude!" Lol

Cahaun
10-04-2011, 06:21 PM
The teacher should be proud he doesn't need a computer to correct himself now! :D