PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to play Nuri Without using elixirs as a mage or archer?

modredd
10-04-2011, 12:04 AM
I went through about 100 dollars worth of platinum and now I find that my characters die left and right when I'm doing the 5 levels of Nuri.
I also have only seen 3 pink drops in the last 5 days it's becoming very monotonous, frustrating and not terribly fun.
It just seems to me these levels were made a lot harder than the sewers were in comparison
As you are all aware from 56 to 61 we are not allowed to upgrade our skills with 6 still the max even though our adversaries are harder to kill.
You can't play to win pinks anymore because they drop so infrequently
Is everybody else happy? Are you all having fun?
I appreciate any constructive,positive feedback.
:crushed:

Aneheazatek
10-04-2011, 12:38 AM
I have been thru the whole game to level 60 without potting exlixer from plats. Yes it's tough but is fun with doing the runs with friends. Basically the level of difficulty make all the classes better display what they are good at and to learn a team play as a whole.

NECROREAPER
10-04-2011, 12:41 AM
It Is possible to survive as a Mage or bird without using elixirs, play with me and you'll see.

You just need a good bear and need to stay behind him so he can take the heat for you. *** stay behind the bear***

Aneheazatek
10-04-2011, 12:44 AM
yup. having a bear that beckons and does crowd control is good. at time when there isnt a bear, remember to eat lots of hp pots.

Kraze
10-04-2011, 12:50 AM
Problem is after using plat elixirs people start acting like they are invincible. It's possible to play without elixir with or without a bear just can't be over aggressive

Cobraguy
10-04-2011, 01:07 AM
Ive leveled both my chars with nothing more than dailys and 1.5 xp pots. Ive learned to play without the combo elixirs. Seems that people who play without them are generally better all around players anyway.

I do agree that we need to be a bit more poweful because the enemies do hit so much harder.

modredd
10-04-2011, 01:41 AM
I feel that I am a very good mage(Lvl 61) but I tend to get stuck with all archers and spend the whole game reviving people and being defensive therefore getting myself killed.
It seems like everybody wants to be either a mage or an archer I don't see bears often and I don't have many friends that are warriors.
Maybe I just need to take a break until Mount Fang comes out.

pastrychef
10-04-2011, 01:42 AM
It's definitely possible to play without elixirs. I've had some of my best runs with teams what were not potted. There are lots of good bears out there. You just need to meet them...

TANKKAAR
10-04-2011, 01:45 AM
I feel that I am a very good mage(Lvl 61) but I tend to get stuck with all archers and spend the whole game reviving people and being defensive therefore getting myself killed.
It seems like everybody wants to be either a mage or an archer I don't see bears often and I don't have many friends that are warriors.

Honestly even if you knew 10 people who played bear half would be dex (no good for tanking unless potted) and the other half wouldn't be any good anyways :-) IMO ... you would be lucky to find one good tank out of the 10 :) its so hard to find good bears these days......

JaytB
10-04-2011, 01:47 AM
Honestly even if you knew 10 people who played bear half would be dex (no good for tanking unless potted) and the other half wouldn't be any good anyways :-) IMO ... you would be lucky to find one good tank out of the 10 :) its so hard to find good bears these days......

Uuuhhhmmm. So hard you say?? So we don't have any good bears in our little family? :p

TANKKAAR
10-04-2011, 01:51 AM
Uuuhhhmmm. So hard you say?? So we don't have any good bears in our little family? :p

Idk that guy tankkaar is AMAZING...... but he is always with that noob whatshisface Ikungfupandabear guy....lol ... total scatter bear ;-P

I mean for people running pugs tho....hahaha

JaytB
10-04-2011, 01:53 AM
Idk that guy tankkaar is AMAZING...... but he is always with that noob whatshisface Ikungfupandabear guy....lol ... total scatter bear ;-P

I mean for people running pugs tho....hahaha

Ow, I didn't know that Tankkaar even played, he always chilling in balefort castle :p

TANKKAAR
10-04-2011, 01:57 AM
Ow, I didn't know that Tankkaar even played, he always chilling in balefort castle :p

Hey man, leave my fat bear alone... he gets outta breath easily, needs to get snacks in balefort so that he can refill his energy...lol

jespeygirl
10-04-2011, 02:42 AM
@modredd what is mount gang you speak of?

jespeygirl
10-04-2011, 02:43 AM
Fang?

AdinoEznite
10-04-2011, 03:05 AM
Fang?
you dont have to repost, you can just edit the previous one.

in any case Mt Fang is a new map that is coming out...check the announcements ill link it here (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?29377-Pocket-Legends-Expansion-Announced-Music-Madness-and-Blood!)

WhoIsThis
10-04-2011, 03:12 AM
It is possible and with a good team, it is possible to do it without deaths in the majority of runs.

Riccits
10-04-2011, 03:14 AM
nuri without elix is a pain.. the combos of the mobs are dang tough and their hp never ends.. rounds needs muchmuch more time
nuris gear is to underpowered for that dungeon imo

mrnofunz
10-04-2011, 04:06 AM
This is exactly why I started to play my bear again. Tanks are necessary now for a non elixir group. Patience is virtue. Stay behind the bear and do not shoot or cast any spells until the bear beckons the entire group into the wall. Time it so your combo hits immediately after the mob is put into the wall. A good group can cut right through a mob like butter but only with a good bear will everyone stay alive...hope this helps.
REMEMBER...STAY BEHIND THE BEAR AND DO NOT GAIN AGGRO BY FIRING UNTIL MOB IS CONTROLLED BY BEAR(BECKONED/STOMPED INTO WALL)

Kelstrick
10-04-2011, 04:08 AM
I'm a Mage at Lvl 60 with about 35K of xp towards 61 and have run Nuri's elixir free in a poor man's load out and can definitely say you can survive in Nuri's. However as players we all have to change our mindset & playing style b/c we are definitely no longer invincible vs. the mobs.

Honestly, I believe the Devs have done a great job of providing a challenging set of opponets and have forced us to return to playing our characters towards their strengths. For ex: I definitely do not "lead the way" anymore like I used to as a Str/Off Tank Mage. Instead I make sure the Bear is in the lead to take the heat, while timing my buffs/debuffs/heals for max effect. In addition, I believe the Devs have shown that the old strategy of pulling together a chain of mobs for slaughter is a quick way to die in Nuri's and instead the party has to face down each mob one at a time. Which is not great for earning xp at a fast rate, but is what is necessary to survive.

I think if you hook up with some of your trusted friends and look at Nuri's as a "return to fundamentals challenge" that the Devs have thrown down you might find some enjoyment before they release Mt Fang.

Hang in there on the pink drops, your luck has to get better b/c it can't get any worse right? :D

Ruby!!!
10-04-2011, 04:51 AM
*** stay behind the bear***

REMEMBER...STAY BEHIND THE BEAR AND DO NOT GAIN AGGRO BY FIRING UNTIL MOB IS CONTROLLED BY BEAR(BECKONED/STOMPED INTO WALL)

Idk this might be true for guild or team runs but whenever I feel adventurous and join random games I don't usually find a bear worth staying behind. Most do funny things like entering rooms with a stomp, dying while trying roundups or simply move so slow that I wonder if they play with one hand only.
So imo staying behind the bear can be the right thing to do when there actually is a good bear but in my experience these are hard to find. Fortunately guild and friend list help you remember the good ones. :adoration:
If I see you two in the games list I sure will join to check you out tho :p

Necrobane
10-04-2011, 04:54 AM
No good bears? Probably because we all gave up on them when elixirs got so popular, running behind the pack was not fun, and when I was quick off the bat and managed to stay ahead, I got yelled at for grouping the mobs as I was forcing the party to stop for a second before combing....lose lose at the time. Switched to SL :P

ExperimentNebulaCore
10-04-2011, 05:37 AM
I'm lvl 53 bear and I can solo nuri without elixers and dying... but of course its one by one or two by two not whole mobs :). I thought they were stronger but I stun them soo much and dodge is good so they rarely hit me. When I get hit, it tickles. My regen already heals me after few seconds.

RedRyder
10-04-2011, 06:18 AM
I do it all the time, using a lv 58 wand set. I only do runs with my guild really, and I die a normal amount

Moogerfooger
10-04-2011, 06:32 AM
This is exactly why I started to play my bear again. Tanks are necessary now for a non elixir group. Patience is virtue. Stay behind the bear and do not shoot or cast any spells until the bear beckons the entire group into the wall. Time it so your combo hits immediately after the mob is put into the wall. A good group can cut right through a mob like butter but only with a good bear will everyone stay alive...hope this helps.

Tanks are not "necessary" for non-elixir runs, but they are great and help out immensely; my original char was a tank so I am not bagging on them, and some of my fave people to play with are tanks. However, I have done many a Nuri run with just mages/archers and as long as everyone stays roughly together, and party members do not stand around/"busy" mode, party will be just fine.

Nor am I staying behind and waiting around for a bear who runs off trying to kill some single mob that has popped off to the side, like some bears do. On the flip side, it is frustrating, like someone said, when you are the tank and everyone with an elixir runs ahead...I didn't hold it against them though, as they possibly paid real money/plat for their elixir.

Agreed with other people that the Nuri mobs are just HP-jacked mobs that hit harder exponentially it seems than previous mobs. I won't get into why I think so, because other people have already stated it.

RedRyder
10-04-2011, 06:47 AM
Just to show, with the right equipment and build, a Mage can have enough armor to not get 1hit KO'd (in my case at least)

Sharing is caring :)

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m279/MADNIGGA2K5/2b02b370.jpg

Equipment:

Lv 58 wand charmin' set
Founders helmet
9armor dex ring.

Base stats:
Str - 15
Dex - 150
Int - 140

That grants, as you can see in the pic, 170 armor with no buffs (about 244 with all buffs including mana shield) at level 60. That should all increase your survivability with no lix's :)

Phoenixking
10-04-2011, 07:04 AM
O.o o.O ooohh la laaaah:P so .....peerfect but what if you dint have a founders helm O.o it may shock you but i dont have one

RedRyder
10-04-2011, 07:11 AM
165 armor is still pretty good!

wvhills
10-04-2011, 07:14 AM
I went through about 100 dollars worth of platinum and now I find that my characters die left and right when I'm doing the 5 levels of Nuri.
I also have only seen 3 pink drops in the last 5 days it's becoming very monotonous, frustrating and not terribly fun.
It just seems to me these levels were made a lot harder than the sewers were in comparison
As you are all aware from 56 to 61 we are not allowed to upgrade our skills with 6 still the max even though our adversaries are harder to kill.

Yes it is possible, I do it all the time. The key for me is having a good bear. I followed Decur around for about an hour last night and we didn't die much at all. If ur a mage let the bear go in first to get aggro, as he taunts/hellscreams run beside him and cast nightmare then lightning as he beckons, when the mobs get to the wall or corner cast ice/firestorm for ur combo. If there are any mobs left after he stomps cast lightning again to finish them off (a bird should have rooted by now for the nature strike combo).

I play a bird really similar. Let the bear go in first. Shattering scream when you see him beckon, then blast shot when they get against the wall then root wall.

If there's no bear or the bear is a scatter bear you're in for rough day. Lol. My bird is still in custom so there's no way he's going out front. If the bear sucks or there's not a bear I stay way back and try to pick off stragglers. My mage is in enchanted staff set but I'll still attempt to lead if no one else will. I just alternate between using mana shield and BOV. I try to always have one going but never both at the same time. I can do it but it takes lots of heals, pots, and drain lifes.

wvhills
10-04-2011, 07:18 AM

I'm not the best bear out there but I'm pretty good. I'm the same guild as you too. Get with me if you see me online. IGN is in my sig.

Doubletime
10-04-2011, 07:19 AM
Problem is after using plat elixirs people start acting like they are invincible. It's possible to play without elixir with or without a bear just can't be over aggressive

However as players we all have to change our mindset & playing style b/c we are definitely no longer invincible vs. the mobs.

Honestly, I believe the Devs have done a great job of providing a challenging set of opponets and have forced us to return to playing our characters towards their strengths. For ex: I definitely do not "lead the way" anymore like I used to as a Str/Off Tank Mage. Instead I make sure the Bear is in the lead to take the heat, while timing my buffs/debuffs/heals for max effect. In addition, I believe the Devs have shown that the old strategy of pulling together a chain of mobs for slaughter is a quick way to die in Nuri's and instead the party has to face down each mob one at a time. Which is not great for earning xp at a fast rate, but is what is necessary to survive.

I think if you hook up with some of your trusted friends and look at Nuri's as a "return to fundamentals challenge" that the Devs have thrown down you might find some enjoyment before they release Mt Fang.

I think Kraze and Kelstrick are right on about what the fundimental problems seem to be with how players are playing Nuri. First, there is an "Elixer generation" coming up at the moment (I'll leave the question of whether the Elixer Gen is the next great wave since the Mynas Gen power level wave for another thread). The free daily elixer plus the ability to level increadibly fast using 4x pots has created a play style that is a little reckless and has many players feeling they are suppose to be over-powered for current levels. It has hurt team work some -- ok a lot. And it has caused many people to stop relying on fundimental strategies and game tactics that got them this far.

Second, I think this is also a direct result of Sewer campaign. In the Sewers, non-elixered groups would walk into Stronghold and have a bear pull every mob in an area into a big pile then nuke the mess out of them. It became a game of how big a pull can we make and not wipe the party. The answer was a whole freakin lot. The Devs actually had to patch the leash on mobs and how aggro was maintained on following mobs to try and stop the wholesale slaughter of these poor little bandits. In other words, the Devs thought these tactics were something of an exploit or work around for the "intended game play experience". And still we tried every last trick to try and keep doing this massive groupings and death train runs because honestly end-game toons were over-powered for typically sewer runs.

So in Nuri, I believe the Devs wanted to create a game play experience that didn't have a work around. Or at least a work around that you didn't have to pay for. These rush tactics and reckless play still work if you elixer up.

However, if you want to run with a semi-normal group you have to use fundimental game skills. Balanced parties tend to work a little better and move a little quicker. No more mass killing of mob groups. It is one group or room at a time. It develops team work. It develops balance. I think this is what the devs were going for. And I hope Mt. Fang continues with it.

My two cents...DT

Navygreen
10-04-2011, 08:00 AM
165 armor is still pretty good!

Ryder, may I ask what the extra 15 str points does for you? Does it really make much of a difference?

Thanks!

RedRyder
10-04-2011, 08:25 AM
Ryder, may I ask what the extra 15 str points does for you? Does it really make much of a difference?

Thanks!

Without the 15 points I get an uneven 169 armor, which bothered me enough to add the 14 pts for the 1 armor :p

MoarPewPew
10-04-2011, 08:36 AM
If you go strong Bird you will have no problem in The Circus. I am only level 57 and I rarely died from this place. I just recomend debuffing the enemy as soon as you are in combat.

If you do feel need to pot buy the one for 7k gold so you dont waste your real life money.
Also try and find a group that knows what they are doing.

:)

Navygreen
10-04-2011, 09:36 AM
Without the 15 points I get an uneven 169 armor, which bothered me enough to add the 14 pts for the 1 armor :p

Aha, gotcha. lol

Thanks

TANKKAAR
10-04-2011, 09:52 AM

Wow really? Bad reputaion for this...lmfao haters gunna hate?

And I quote the bad rep:
"if your in a pug you must suck"

To whoever my fan is :-x thanks for hating cause if your not being hated your obviously not doing it right :banana:

modredd
10-04-2011, 10:22 AM
I think youre on the payroll of StS,lol
You can not argue that twe levels have under 50 kills and the last only 1.
Getting to 61 was sooooooooooooo long and to win nothing and spend sooooooo much momey on pots I thank the people that agree with me.
Challange I do not mind but you'd like a reward now and then and I think skill points should go up.
Does anyone else get grave-stoned all the time?
With out platinum I have to start all over if Im the only mage,Grrrrrr

modredd
10-04-2011, 10:25 AM
Hey Tank its not how many friends you have,Its who they are.
You rock and the dancing banana was a nice touch,lm@o.

modredd
10-04-2011, 10:28 AM
@Red Ryder:
So you can lend me 2,000000 so I can buy my wand and get the set bonus.
My armor is 154 pure Int mage which is a dicussion for another post

RedRyder
10-04-2011, 10:28 AM
Wow really? Bad reputaion for this...lmfao haters gunna hate?

And I quote the bad rep:
"if your in a pug you must suck"

To whoever my fan is :-x thanks for hating cause if your not being hated your obviously not doing it right :banana:

modredd and myself more than made up for it :)

Rare
10-04-2011, 10:29 AM

Its really not that bad. Most likely it is because you are use to having the elixir which makes things rather easy. You'll adjust to it I'm sure. I remember the sewers being just as difficult at first. Especially the mobs in Catacombs.

The difference is some of the mobs in Nuri have killer combos which means teamwork is as important as ever. When everyone is on the juice though you really don't notice it since you basically just train through it.

EDIT: Regarding the pink drops. Doesn't seem to be any less that the sewers. I went over a month at one stretch without getting a pink. At least you get common item drops in nuri.
ATL

TANKKAAR
10-04-2011, 10:32 AM
You guys ROCK! Thanks for having my back :)

Kraze
10-04-2011, 10:42 AM

Thanks!

OCD much buddy? Something to consider with the 4x pot on it's roughly like a group of unpotted 60/61s running through sandstone. It's going to look really easy until you switch to a 25. Doesn't mean it's impossible to play those maps @ 25 just takes some adjusting. Just my two plat

modredd
10-04-2011, 10:49 AM
No prob bud

modredd
10-04-2011, 10:55 AM
I am just lucky that I have my 56 vanity helm and the new 61 shield or my armor would be 10 less.
but I see Lvl 61 Demon archers with armors of 112 or 120 and I spend the whole game resurecting them but they look great and cost millions,same with mages that use a staff instead of a wand.
They hang out in the casle but w/o pots they die fast in Nuri.

modredd
10-04-2011, 10:58 AM
:positive:
I will be on today,See you around.
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

RedRyder
10-04-2011, 11:16 AM
OCD much buddy?

Mild OCD. yea its annoying

slaveleia
10-04-2011, 01:01 PM
I'd have to agree...using elixirs spoils you. Without the elixir, your movement is so much slower...you get addicted to rushing thru maps for more drop chances. You get hit with big damage too without steroids. I've been gravestoned+death shot & now I've been wacked a lot in Lions den by bird-lion mobs. Need to slow down & play w full groups to quit elixirs I suppose.

Kraze
10-04-2011, 01:10 PM
OCD much buddy?

Mild OCD. yea its annoying
Eh I have a similar issue with being anti even numbers it can be a pain. But at least I can settle for odd numbers now doesn't have to be prime anylonger

Moogerfooger
10-04-2011, 03:00 PM
I am just lucky that I have my 56 vanity helm and the new 61 shield or my armor would be 10 less.
but I see Lvl 61 Demon archers with armors of 112 or 120 and I spend the whole game resurecting them but they look great and cost millions,same with mages that use a staff instead of a wand.
They hang out in the casle but w/o pots they die fast in Nuri.

Incorrect. I very rarely die without elixirs (and I have 'only' the Obedience set, not Demonic), as do many other archers with 110-120 armor. Some of us have mad potting skillz, others don't. Some know how to work with their party, some don't...just like some mages and some bears who die a lot regardless of their armor.

Don't make stereotypical uninformed and trollish statements. I have seen bears with Big Top/Strongman and 170+ armor eat it regularly, but I don't make silly statements on the forums about all bears sucking/dying with their expensive armor.

Swimmingstar
10-04-2011, 03:32 PM
There are not many good bears around now it's like the chance of getting a glyph drop without x4 or x3 elixir although a little higher. If there isn't a good bear I reccomend using your best armor.

modredd
10-04-2011, 04:20 PM
Someone needs to take it down a notch.
Angry much?
Ive gotten all the feedback I need this person has a personal issue with me and is using this forum which up until that post was drama,troll and flame free!!!!!
I can only report what I see and having a dicussion is not trolling.
Coming on my thread with an angry agenda is!
:dejection:

MimeRifle
10-04-2011, 04:20 PM
*sigh* I can't even get out of bed anymore without an elixir... and it started so innocently....

modredd
10-04-2011, 04:30 PM
This is a personal issue the the Devs can address.
I am not putting up with people like that anymore,Tthey need to move on with what ever I did six months ago when everyone was on my case.
He is not my friend,never will be and clearly has nothing constructive to add to our up till now fun and pleasant conversation.

saool
10-04-2011, 04:37 PM

Hey man, leave my fat bear alone... he gets outta breath easily, needs to get snacks in balefort so that he can refill his energy...lol

LMAO!

Spekticle
10-04-2011, 04:41 PM
It Is possible to survive as a Mage or bird without using elixirs, play with me and you'll see.

You just need a good bear and need to stay behind him so he can take the heat for you. *** stay behind the bear***

I vouch for Necro he is a great bear :-p

Well another thing about this, is since you have as you say "spent about $100 in platinum" you then in turn lose experience playing the game because you got from 1-60 in a very shortened amount of time. So just keep playing and you will learn the tricks to staying alive.

One of the tricks I use, is stay back there is a reason that the spells you cast can go up to 12m away. You do not have to be in the middle to do the most damage.

modredd
10-04-2011, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by TANKKAAR:435847
Originally Posted by JaytB
'Ow, I didn't know that Tankkaar even played, he always chilling in balefort castle"
"Hey man, leave my fat bear alone... he gets outta breath easily, needs to get snacks in balefort so that he can refill his energy...lol"
He dosent need to play hes always got atleast three things for sale over a million at a time,lol
He is a cool cat.:p

Moogerfooger
10-04-2011, 05:10 PM
Someone needs to take it down a notch.
Angry much?
Ive gotten all the feedback I need this person has a personal issue with me and is using this forum which up until that post was drama,troll and flame free!!!!!
I can only report what I see and having a dicussion is not trolling.
Coming on my thread with an angry agenda is!
:dejection:

Personal issue? Drama much? If you don't recall, I was one of the ones who eventually stuck up for you long ago during the whole booting/Big Luck thing saying it was your right, whether I liked it or not.

Having a discussion is one thing, being snide about people wearing Demonic saying "I have to constantly rez them, all they do is hang out in balefort with their expensive sets" is trolling, in my book.

Not to mention your silly statement about all staff mages/bow archers not being able to stay alive. Go play with WhoIsThis or Rosettes and they will StaffMage run rings around most other mages regardless of what they are wearing.

Save the drama for your mama.

ocagrevy
10-04-2011, 06:32 PM
When playing pl with elixers for extended periods of time then playing with out. at first you are going to experience what are called withdrawls. Symptoms are a false sense of strength, speed, rushing into large mobs, repeated deaths,
Hope this helps

Oh and to answer the question ive done it with a good team of 1 bear 2 mage 2 bird.

modredd
10-04-2011, 09:29 PM
I think the hardest game is Nuris Hallows but the swamp boss is the toughest to kill the others are not bad but Hallows one got me to 61 the fastest.
Thanks for the imput,I guess I need rehab,lol
:chuncky:

Zeus
10-04-2011, 10:02 PM
Personal issue? Drama much? If you don't recall, I was one of the ones who eventually stuck up for you long ago during the whole booting/Big Luck thing saying it was your right, whether I liked it or not.

Having a discussion is one thing, being snide about people wearing Demonic saying "I have to constantly rez them, all they do is hang out in balefort with their expensive sets" is trolling, in my book.

Not to mention your silly statement about all staff mages/bow archers not being able to stay alive. Go play with WhoIsThis or Rosettes and they will StaffMage run rings around most other mages regardless of what they are wearing.

Save the drama for your mama.

When Chloe is not talking about forlorn love and romantic movies, she is a pretty dang good mage, if not one of the best.

modredd
10-05-2011, 12:50 AM
I have to say it IS possible to do Nuri without elixirs But it's a heck of a lot more fun if you have one.
I won about 3,000,000 dollars worth of pinks tonight, It was a good night thank you to all of those that helped me.
And fighting is against the terms of service for spacetime studios forums so I am choosing to be an adult and take the high road. I have nothing to say on the matter.
About 95 percent of the games I play I host myself So if telling people my own personal experience offended anybody to the point were they felt they needed to antagonize me that's most unfortunate.
And as mentioned on a previous posts in this thread some people do hang out in the castle and that's okay it wasn't an insult.
When you survive cancer you really don't have time to argue on forums no matter how much somebody tries to:D push your buttons or bring things up from 6 months ago.

Kraze
10-05-2011, 01:03 AM
There are not many good bears around now it's like the chance of getting a glyph drop without x4 or x3 elixir although a little higher. If there isn't a good bear I reccomend using your best armor.
Um pro tip: always use your best gear

This nonsense about having to Rez birds is overblown my poor bird gets one hit so often he should be named Peter McNeily (feel free to google it kiddos) it's part of the game and the way I play it if the bear isn't fighting to keep aggro or the Mage isn't saying "is that Leroy Jenkins?" I'm not doing enough damage.

Uepauke
10-05-2011, 01:15 AM
Its really not that bad. Most likely it is because you are use to having the elixir which makes things rather easy. You'll adjust to it I'm sure. I remember the sewers being just as difficult at first. Especially the mobs in Catacombs.

I agree with the tips on play in this thread. I also add that gear matters--it's like the sewers became more enjoyable when I got my mm, and then my enchanted--less a matter of keeping alive, more nuking the h out of mobs. In Nuri's, I'm noticing a great difference in my glyph set, that is, it's starting to feel more like the sewers felt like towards the end, when mobs just... dissolve.

I know that this doesn't seem to help when you're trying to put away the gold towards the set or farming and getting killed, but stay optimistic because, as the stat points add up and the gear gets better, you'd enjoy it more and more. Until then, kite more, as others have already said, stay back a bit and let the bear (if you got a good one) take aggro and control the mob, practice those combos (HUGE FAN of nature strikes and ice storm/stomp).

Petrichor
10-05-2011, 07:26 AM
When Chloe is not talking about forlorn love and romantic movies, she is a pretty dang good mage, if not one of the best.

:redface: look at you being so nice! I could cry. Is this your way of keeping both your life and getting the friday slot? hahaha.

Wonderjuice
10-05-2011, 08:55 AM
I haven't used plats so far for leveling. Sometimes, with my 59 bear (it became 60 yesterday finally), I ran with only one or two players at Symphony and finished the boss. I felt challenge and accomplishment. I soloed Nuri several times. It was more fun and exciting than I played with 4x combo players. It reminds me of the days I spent ten minutes to kill the Keeper (it was so hard to beat in the beginning) with a defense pot and other players. Even with the bird, with a good control, you can lead the group if other players back you up on time. It is more fun with 2k damage elixir.
My bear wears sewer king armor, tamer bow, and fury helm. My bird wears Glyph mimicry armor and helm and tamer bow even though I am rich lol.

modredd
10-05-2011, 10:14 AM
I find it easier to have a balanced team,When I'm the only mage in can get taxing.
I also noticed with my set bonus as of last night plus the +10 armor for my 56 vanity and 61 shild my armor is much better and I am dying less.
I think there is no doubt it can be done and we do not need to beat a dead horse.
:tan:

neko
10-05-2011, 10:18 AM
I think Kraze and Kelstrick are right on about what the fundimental problems seem to be with how players are playing Nuri. First, there is an "Elixer generation" coming up at the moment (I'll leave the question of whether the Elixer Gen is the next great wave since the Mynas Gen power level wave for another thread). The free daily elixer plus the ability to level increadibly fast using 4x pots has created a play style that is a little reckless and has many players feeling they are suppose to be over-powered for current levels. It has hurt team work some -- ok a lot. And it has caused many people to stop relying on fundimental strategies and game tactics that got them this far.

Second, I think this is also a direct result of Sewer campaign. In the Sewers, non-elixered groups would walk into Stronghold and have a bear pull every mob in an area into a big pile then nuke the mess out of them. It became a game of how big a pull can we make and not wipe the party. The answer was a whole freakin lot. The Devs actually had to patch the leash on mobs and how aggro was maintained on following mobs to try and stop the wholesale slaughter of these poor little bandits. In other words, the Devs thought these tactics were something of an exploit or work around for the "intended game play experience". And still we tried every last trick to try and keep doing this massive groupings and death train runs because honestly end-game toons were over-powered for typically sewer runs.

So in Nuri, I believe the Devs wanted to create a game play experience that didn't have a work around. Or at least a work around that you didn't have to pay for. These rush tactics and reckless play still work if you elixer up.

However, if you want to run with a semi-normal group you have to use fundimental game skills. Balanced parties tend to work a little better and move a little quicker. No more mass killing of mob groups. It is one group or room at a time. It develops team work. It develops balance. I think this is what the devs were going for. And I hope Mt. Fang continues with it.

My two cents...DT

Well said.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the Symphony mobs are clustered in the way they are (5-7) and spaced out just so that if you time things right a non-potted party with a bear doing mob control leading a pack of nukers can handily clear that map.

It truly becomes a fun experience counting on each other's strengths and abilities and accomplishment in finishing a map with little or no deaths.

Duped
10-05-2011, 02:47 PM
Playing with good players (like neko!) makes runs very smooth, but last night, I wanted to get my last 400xp to hit 58 on bird, and tried PUG's. Boy it was awful and ultimately I just quit. Groups wiping out, players leaving... it was not fun.

csb
10-05-2011, 03:59 PM
My 58 bear doesn't use elixirs, and only has sewer armor. I don't die easy. I know how long the stuns last, and I try to keep everything stunned. They can't hurt you if they can't move.

Charmstrange
10-06-2011, 01:20 AM

Most of the responses so far addressed team play, gear, survivability, etc. I wanted to respond to this one line because it is not *exactly* true.

Sure, you can't add more than 6 points to any given skill, but skill power increases. Mages, for example, see skill damage increase with increased int stat points as they level up and higher damage weapons and armor gear usually increase skill damage as well. New gear adds significantly more to stat points, which increases skill power accordingly.

Other skills that add a percent figure, such as hit, crit, and dodge cannot be increased with extra skill points, but their value actually increases in relation to the strength (meaning how powerful the character is, not referring to str stat) of your character and that of the enemies.

One skill that I would agree with you on is the blessing that adds a fixed amount of armor. 30 armor increase was proportionally much more useful at level 45 than it is at level 60.

Thems my thoughts on skills