PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion (MORE System created levels) to limit booting in public games w/o Password

octavos
10-04-2011, 01:10 PM
for the past few days, i have seen an increase in system created games (not a player created game). reason "ppl hate being booted, me included"
if system can create more free games so to speak (no host), ppl can join a game worried free. this also benefits low activity guilds

Eg: Hall of Films slouch-o. anyone can join have a good run and "boom" no worries. Make SL and PL more casual and help with frustration of ppl being booted.

What do you guys think?

Darko
10-04-2011, 02:12 PM
i agree, people hate being booted especially when there is no password, you hit continue and you are entered into that room and get booted.

Sassinya
10-04-2011, 02:25 PM
Booting hurts .. ever try a PUG in the zone that drops the hooch hat? I literally had a hotkey that said "May I join, I only want the kills for quests, if I get drop being farmed I will give to you" still didn't stop me from landing back in the swamp sometimes lol

IBNobody
10-04-2011, 04:29 PM
for the past few days, i have seen an increase in system created games (not a player created game). reason "ppl hate being booted, me included"
if system can create more free games so to speak (no host), ppl can join a game worried free. this also benefits low activity guilds

Eg: Hall of Films slouch-o. anyone can join have a good run and "boom" no worries. Make SL and PL more casual and help with frustration of ppl being booted.

What do you guys think?

I support this. I hate being booted. Moreso, I hate being booted and being given vulgar boot messages. It totally ruins my play experience. This is why I always play host-free instances.

It would be nice if I could create a hostless map and then have other people join me.

Gazroast
10-04-2011, 04:44 PM

What do you guys think?

+1 support this.
All games should be server created IMO.

Phoenixking
10-04-2011, 04:49 PM
All games no! What if poeple want to create a hosted game for that they can play the level they want and what if they domt have time to tell poeple the pass if they just want there freind list no pugs theres certain reasons poeple need hosted games yes ik there are password games but what if yo just want you whole freind list thats why they boot poeple to reserve spots for freinds coming why do you think devs put this in

tearacan
10-05-2011, 09:48 AM
well people could just ask kindly to leave first, before booting someone. I had joined a game once while they were waiting for a friend to join and they asked me nicely if i could leave so their friend was able to join. I was happy to leave, no problem.
On the other hand i do understand why the boot-option is available and i can see the use of it. But it is to the host to use his/her people skills before booting someone.

Can i ask you this, is it ok for people join a hosted game while they do not know the host?
If not players should not be able to see these hosted games unless they are friends or guild members (i think).

octavos
10-05-2011, 09:58 AM
well people could just ask kindly to leave first, before booting someone. I had joined a game once while they were waiting for a friend to join and they asked me nicely if i could leave so their friend was able to join. I was happy to leave, no problem.
On the other hand i do understand why the boot-option is available and i can see the use of it. But it is to the host to use his/her people skills before booting someone.

Can i ask you this, is it ok for people join a hosted game while they do not know the host?
If not players should not be able to see these hosted games unless they are friends or guild members (i think).

I don't want to even ask, i just want to play. Having STS create just beginning maps (w/o hosts) Will eliminate the boot issue altogether...so if you get booted, theirs an alternative to play :D
low activity guilds would benefit because all players want to level, and most system created games ppl join, actually play not just stand around lol

bronislav84
10-06-2011, 11:38 AM
Yes I support this, maybe make it create non-hosted games for all the zones in both games. Until somebody joins and fills it, limit it to one system-created non-hosted game per combat zone to prevent server memory issues.

Currently you can only create a public game by walking into a portal or pressing Go To. if you have no quests in later zones, a portal will only create the first zone for you. I specifically never join a hosted game, only join games by friends/guild, or in very rare cases host my own, because I have a fear/dislike of rejection. It makes for slow leveling and hard to complete some quests which can't be soloed.

So naturally I am for this idea.

Kahlua
10-06-2011, 12:31 PM
Make all player created games require a password, no exceptions. That way you can only join games you're "supposed" to join. Make all other games password free games with no host.

Pro of this is that you won't get booted from the game unless you really do something bad and your friends kick you. I was kicked at the boss of Scorcher yesterday after running the first two maps with the people I was with. When one of them died (wasn't using any stim packs at all -.-), they decided they needed an engineer (had none at the time) and kicked me at the boss. They were all in the same guild, made me angry.

Cons of this are that people no longer have to worry about being kicked from games for inactivity or not contributing. Had to kick a guy from Director yesterday because he was just standing at the back of the room shooting the wall. If all public games become server hosted, I can predict a lot more of this.

Navygreen
10-06-2011, 12:44 PM
This is a good idea! System created games. :)

csb
10-06-2011, 02:44 PM
If someone enters a portal, then a system game is created. When they move to the next level after completing a level, a new system game is created. How is this different from how it already works?

To have more system games, then more people should walk through portals.

I don't boot for poor performance, or even for just standing around. Some people are busy replying to messages, or maybe deleting items from inventory. Maybe they had to go to the bathroom. It's not the best time, but I'm fine with it.

I will boot for foul language. It may not be bad enough for a /report, but is enough for a boot. I was in a group where the host booted someone for reason, "wrong choice of words". We went all the way to the boss, and the player said, "lets rape this boss." I would have pressed boot also, but with less friendly boot text.

csb
10-06-2011, 02:50 PM
Also, if people are lazy to run to the portal, I suppose the system can always make sure that one instance is available with 0 players. As soon as someone enters, then the system should spawn another 0 player instance. I often see 0 player system instances, so maybe the game already does that, or it is the result of someone leaving after entering.

octavos
10-06-2011, 05:05 PM
Also, if people are lazy to run to the portal, I suppose the system can always make sure that one instance is available with 0 players. As soon as someone enters, then the system should spawn another 0 player instance. I often see 0 player system instances, so maybe the game already does that, or it is the result of someone leaving after entering.

Yes ppl are lazy "me included lol" if im doing an xp run/all nite run....i just want to hop on to a unhosted game and ppl can just join.

Manx
10-06-2011, 07:09 PM
Booting is awful, especially when you play for so long then get booted without a reason! I got booted at some point today and they gave me a letter as a reason...

I also think this is happening more so right now because of the pw bug. Creating games with a pw is at random times giving players an 'invalid password' when they hit the continue button, so guilds are creating unprotected rooms.

Still, I find that asking someone to leave is more respectable then booting for no reason.

csb
10-06-2011, 07:26 PM
Still, I find that asking someone to leave is more respectable then booting for no reason.

Looking at it from the other point of view:

If you're both the host and the healer, you don't have time for texting. When your tank is marching forward, then taking time to compose a sweet regret letter may mean the group gets wiped. An alternative would be to ask the group to pause, then compose a nice regret message. I think if you get three letters, 'sry', then you are lucky.

But, i will admit that i put people on ignore if i get a one letter boot message, or a hostile boot message like "Fool!" or "idiot", which i have gotten. If i get "sry", then i don't put the host in my ignore list.

A main PL forum contributor (i forget which), would send the message "i love you" and boot. It seems funny, disturbing, and confusing all at once. I almost left the group when I saw that. But, when I think about it, what message could anyone possible compose that would make the boot more comfortable? In this case, it was a 51 PL sewer farming group, which means only specific levels could be allowed, or the drops would be useless.