PDA

View Full Version : How to 616 your engineer

GigaBits
10-04-2011, 04:16 PM
Hello all, and welcome to my first ever guide! I chose the engineer because it is both my favorite class to play and the one which I have the most experience. I look foward to input and any suggestions. Okay, here goes nothing:

How to 616 your engineer

Philosophy: The 616 philosophy is all about effectiveness and customization. It relies on a simple theory that engineers reach their full potential through their class specific abilities, to be more specific group heals and the ability to revive your fallen comrades.
What does 616 stand for? the numbers reference skill point allocation to Empathy, Revive, and Transference. Followers of the 616 feel that an engineer without at least these three skills are not maximizing their parties effectiveness nor their own. The concept is derived from min/maxing in other rpgs, in which you place the minimum points needed for use in certain skills, while maxing out others for effective builds with little to no "middle ground" skills. In a way, the concept is very similar to what I have heard of "dual-speccing" in pocket legends, in which you only put the minimum points into a given skill for equipping certain items. The 616, currently, is only concerned with these three skills due to current level cap and skill point limitations
Why 616? I put 6 points in both group heals to maximize healing power and only 1 point in revive so that I can actually revive, while saving as many skill points for customization as possible.

the builds
disclaimer: the builds I will list are a starting point and not meant to be taken as the end all, be all of the engineer class. These are my opinions and I have used each of these builds effectively at one time or another. The purpose here is to show that you can have many viable builds and still have the most important engineer skills available. I also assume a basic understanding of game mechanics and skill description, please see noneos engineer survival guide for an in depth look at this info http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?30805-The-Engineer-s-Survival-Guide
disclaimer2: these builds are designed for a level 30 or 31 engineer, This is a work in progress and my first guide so please bear with me.(skill point allocation is taken to 30 because I think more people are still around there than at 31)

Within the 616 framework are 3 archetype, or paragon structures The healtank, or paladin, the dps, and full support. I highly encourage hybrid builds and will throw in my current build at the end for comparison.For now all of these builds will assume you have put all your stat points into intelligence.

Healtank
aka paladin
What is a healtank? a healtank is a tank who can do enough damage to keep aggro off his squishy pals and enough healing and armor to mitigate the incoming damage after he gains the aggro, it isn't easy and not recommended for beginner engineers

skills: Wither-0 a healtank need not concern himself with this single target dot .
Leech-6 This single target dot however, will also heal you, it is invaluable to the enginerr looking for aggro.
Empathy-6 it isn't a 616 without it
Revive-1 see above
Force shield-6 a bit of controversy here, see below
Suppression-2 This will help you control mobs and gain aggro, be careful because it makes everyone in your party un-target any target you suppress. If you are not comfortable using suppression, I suggest adding the points to pain
Protection-0 although it may seem like a good idea for a healtank to have this skill, I don't recommend it as it takes too many points to become useful
Transference-6 hello last 6 a group heal and aoe damage, this is THE engineer mainstay, I can't say enough about this skill, good damage, relatively short cooldown.
Pain-2 okay 1 point is sufficient here but a little extra damage never hurts. mainly, a boss control skill but is usefull for grabbing aggro from mini-bosses and high armor/hp mobs
Sonic boom-0 there is no debate here, this skill takes too long to cooldown for any usefulness anywhere.
Decay-0 this particular build has no use for this dot, although I do LOVE this skill in general.
Playguide: a healtank is comfortable on the front lines, running in guns blazing next to a commando or even in front of one, if need be. Cast empathyas you are running to the group so the first tick will start about the same time you start to take damage, cast empathy to engage and pull aggro, when/if your health falls below half pop up your shield The reason you wait is because force shield doesn't take a lot of damage before it bursts, so you'll want that extra armor midfight. the difference between life and death is one hp, this could save you from an embarassing death after running into a group of mobs full tilt all alone( I know it has for me at least once). With pain and suppression you will want to be careful, supressing a group of enemies going after your operative is a good thing, trying to suppress a boss everyone is attacking or casting it first off when a commando will be trying to grab aggro with aoe is not. pain is an excellent aggro grabbing ability after it explodes, it has been noted elsewhere the suppression and pain make a wonderful unofficial combo that will give you surefire aggro if the baddy survives.

Note:some people feel like force shield is useless, I am not one of them. If you are, by all means allocate those 6 points elsewhere.My suggestion would be to add some to pain and decay, decay is a high damage skill, great for grabbing aggro.

the DPS
What is the DPS? DPS stands for damage per second and this build knows how to dish it out, through stacking dots on single targets or spreading them around in a mob this build can get the job done quickly and efficiently.If you feel your engineer is undervalued for his damage capabilities or just want a more action oriented playstyle, this is the build for you.

skills: Wither-5 stacks well with decay or leech, low indivdual tick damage means low aggro draw
Leech-4 another dot=more dps plus it heals, yay!
Revive-1 see above
Force shield-0 you're looking for damage, not damage reduction
Suppression-0 no damage done means it is useless for this build
Protection-0 see Force Shield
Transference-6 hello last 6 a group heal and aoe damage, this is THE engineer mainstay, I can't say enough about this skill, good damage, relatively short cooldown.
Pain-1 a boss control/utility skill, it stuns for 3 seconds then goes boom.
Sonic boom-0 there is no debate here, this skill takes too long to cooldown for any usefulness anywhere.
Decay-6 this skill does amazing damage over time, plus a small debuff to enemy armor, invaluable to this build in my opinion, stacks well with other dots.
Playguide: your goal here is to target the biggest baddest mob you can see and send him to the great beyond. You'll want to let your tank engage first, but be sure to cast empathy on the way in, like the healtank, so the first tick starts when you start to take damage. The idea is to keep empathy up whenever possible/needed, too much and you will pull aggro constantly, not enough and the party wipes. pick your target and lay on decay then wither then pain for maximum effectiveness., at this point you may want to pick a new target and cast leech and wither, if it is off cooldown. transference is here mostly as a damage dealer and can be cast whenever your team needs the heal or you want some more damage, like empathy, be careful as this skill is an aggro hog.

the Full Support

What is full support? Well, there are certainly enough engineers out there concerning themselves with hybrids and dps and tanking and all these other things, you however, want to aid the team as much as possible and aren't worried about dealing a ton of damage. This build should stay back and let everyone run in before him, but just because you are full support doesn't mean you can't lay out some damage from time to time, as well.

skills: Wither-0 as stated above, this isn't a damage oriented build so you don't/won't really need it
Leech-3 this is here for self healing when the going gets tough.
Revive-1 see above
Force shield-6 as full support you need your mana topped off and it works as a panic button, see playguide
Suppression-0 you could debate the merits of this skill as support function, but I find it's best to let the tank worry about crowd control
Protection-6 or 0 see note see Force Shield
Pain-1 a boss control/utility skill, it stuns for 3 seconds then goes boom.
Decay-0 or 6 see note
note: some people do not like protection but this is a full support build so I included it, and used it myself when testing this build, however if you feel like those points could be better used elsewhere, by all means do so. My suggestion is decay because it stacks well with leech and does decent damage.

Playguide:mmm, support. as stated twice already use empathy as the group runs in and transference as needed. you'll want to let the party head in first but don't let them get out of range for your heals in case something bad happens. stick to your tank like glue, he will keep the baddies off you, hopefully. use leech when you need to heal yourself, but be careful, none of these heals are instant cast, it takes about 1 second for leech to activate. force shield and protection(if you have it) should be up whenever possible, the exception is in the midst of a firefight, save force shield for when you finish the fight to recoup your mana stores if needed, if you went with decay, I suggest targeting the biggest baddest mob you can spot and double teaming him with decay pain(this will prevent an immediate rush to you and give the commando time to regain aggro, hopefully.)

Gear: gear choice is fairly straight foward, pick the armor you like the best or that is within your budget(plat, custom, or atomite) and weapon choices are very subjective at this point. I prefer a rifle for dps, black widow/limited shield for the other two, although you really can't go wrong with the incinerator either.Implant, I suggest damage because it improves your heals, armor implant isn't a bad choice either. leave the crit, and dodge implants alone unless you are using plat armor that gives a dodge bonus, then dodge implant is a viable choice for the healtank.

Okay, so that's it for the how to 616 your engineer guide, please be gentle, I know there are probably a ton of mistakes, clerical and spelling errors as well as unclear advise, I'm not perfect enough to get this right the first time. I would like to extend a thank you to all the people who came before me with great guides and insights into the engineer class, as they have helped me(knowingly or not) come up with all of this stuff. A special thank you to noneo, kamikazees and IBNobody for their continued efforts on the engineer forum and the inspiration to write a guide.

GigaBits
10-04-2011, 04:16 PM
reserved for adding info. I ran out of time to post my personal build, please check back soon for an update to include this information

LelouchX
10-05-2011, 03:53 PM
Very nice! I guess my D.P.S. (Damage Plus Support) Build falls under your dps section (hahaha, pun intended). I am a believer in the 616 as well, and also feel that cuatomization should be done OUTSIDE of those 3 skills, as you mentioned.

a healtank is a tank who can do enough damage to keep aggro off his squishy pals and enough healing and armor to mitigate the incoming damage after he gains the aggro, it isn't easy and not recommended for beginner engineers
I've found that after running my build for some time now, it is also very effective at drawing aggro away from the squishies. But to do this requires muilti-targeting when in a mob. What I mean by this is not just hitting you auto attack and waiting till the enemy dies to attack another. Some may not be bothered with this, but, i often target one enemy, use a dot, target another, use dot, target another, use dot, while using trans AOE to add to my aggro. I've said it a million time that I am a passionate engi, so while my style isn't for the lazy (for lack of a better word), it holds aggro and takes full advantage of the dot by not instantly killing the enemy after it is cast

Sorry for the rant, maybe this is better suited for my "how to use effectively" section than as a comment here..... anywho, well done, kudos, and what build are you currently using?

Glasher
10-06-2011, 01:23 AM
Shouldn't full support include Decay? A debuff is support, theoretically can be considered a buff if you want to get technical. This is assuming it does indeed stack with Amplify Pain.

Also if you take 2 out of Force Field and put 2 in Suppression you can mitigate some cc when the group needs the extra time. This is also a support factor.

Support isn't just heal buff heal buff.

616 is definitely the only way to start building your engineer.

Hullukko
10-06-2011, 02:47 AM
Shouldn't full support include Decay? A debuff is support, theoretically can be considered a buff if you want to get technical. This is assuming it does indeed stack with Amplify Pain.

Absolutely, stacks or doesn't the damage is worth it. A full support should forget the damn mana shield. A 30/31 with full customs has enough mr due to high int and custom set bonus that those skill points are waaaay better spent in other skills like decay in this case.

((that is, assuming one hasn't been adventurous enough to waste int stats to something else, like str or dex, and as a result is suffering from mana and mana reg deficiency *grin*))

Yangry
10-06-2011, 09:29 AM
After my failed experiment with Sonic Boom I am running pretty the same dps build...sonic boom was very disappointing. It was okay but just was not as good as I had wanted it to be.

Think we put too much emphasis on types of engineers. But I agree that as long as you have 616 a decent single eng should have no problems getting any group effectively through Slouch. Will there be some hairy pulls, probably, but it should be easy. The rest is just personal preference IMO.

MitchRapp
10-06-2011, 09:39 AM
there's engineers out there that aren't 616 ??????? wow I think they picked the wrong class!

Yangry
10-06-2011, 09:54 AM
Dude I've seen engineers that don't use empathy unless its to heal themselves...there are all kinds of different players...

Cahaun
10-06-2011, 10:01 AM
I put 6 points to rev for maximum range. Every little bit counts. Soon it will be 666... Wait a sec! :D

Glasher
10-06-2011, 10:21 AM
Dude I've seen engineers that don't use empathy unless its to heal themselves...there are all kinds of different players...

I saw this a lot as I leveled other toons. I believe it is a lack of knowledge more than the build. When you hit about 13-14 players begin to learn there rolls. This excludes Operatives obviously, but then again a lot of them still think they can tank haha.

LelouchX
10-06-2011, 10:27 AM
When you hit about 13-14 players begin to learn there rolls. This excludes Operatives obviously, but then again a lot of them still think they can tank haha.
Haha, i engi as my main, but think it is fun to op. I KNOW i can't tank, but i still rush sometimes, and i get what I deserve, another death.

I've also seen many engi not using empathy, unfortunately

Glasher
10-06-2011, 05:31 PM
Well heres what I think the full support should be

Empathy 6 - Obvious reasons
Revive 1 - Obvious reasons
Suppresion - 3 Sum1 pulls to much, an AoE catches a close mob, lurch pushes someone to far, and so on, and so on. Freezing up to 3 mobs gives you, as well as everyone else, a couple of seconds to recover. I will admit with random groups it is on you to try to time it best.
Protection 6 - The armor debate can go on and on. However, a constant 60 armor is better than a solo boost for a typically short period.
Transference 6 - Obvious reasons
Pain 1 - Obvious reasons
Decay 6 - Gives you some offense as well as increases everyone else's damage, which in turn makes your job easier.

You noted Leech as your "oh ****" should just spam stims, or in this build try to suppresion. This same idea is why Force Field is left out.

Just my thoughts.

GigaBits
10-06-2011, 06:23 PM
Great feedback guys, thanks so much.
As an answer to everyone, these are just "sample" builds, to give a basic idea of the concept and implementation of 616, as well as the different approaches available to engineers based on individual playstyle. The engineer is, without doubt, the most versatile class in the game(imo), and I feel these builds reflect that as they all have different set-ups and slightly different playstyles. Look for links in my upcoming update to other 616 builds around the forums(or just look for yourself!) I am very passionate about this class and love hearing from all the other engineers out there.

IBNobody
10-06-2011, 08:50 PM
You are entitled to your own opinions on Protection, but you should explain why other people don't advocate Force Shield for defense.

The skill does not work as advertised. It does not block 75HP. It blocks much less than that. It may block 12 points off an 85-175 hit, but then the bubble bursts.

Vladrac
10-11-2011, 12:04 PM
I feel the 616 is essential for any engineer build. Without it, you are not your class. I've built several variations with my engie, alll of which used the 616. I fully believe you can build your engie any way you desire as long as the 616 is implemented.

Thanks for this thread!

Glasher
10-11-2011, 01:44 PM
5 1 6 is a viable option for those DPS Engineers not yet at 31 with the extra point.

A DPS Engineer should still try to support but its role shifts to damage and the DOTs definitely burn things down pretty quick. With a DPS focus at 30 5 Empathy allows you to maximise damage for your level and allows that extra point at 30 to complete the 616.

I would think due to the cooldown a higher pain though wielding the same damage on aoe its target damage would out perform Leech?

I understand the dot mathematically puts out more damage but as you run through trash ur not getting to use it as much. Bosses are another issue.

MitchRapp
10-20-2011, 04:08 PM
well new levels now ... is there a new skill? if not I guess I'm maxing Revive for the range (really?) .... dunno what else eh

Ghastly
11-17-2011, 08:19 PM
Don't mean to revive the thread but do you think you can update this soon?