PDA

View Full Version : Help with Chemistry! I am so lost..

Spekticle
10-04-2011, 06:12 PM
So Today in Chem the teacher tried to teach us how to figure out names of chemical compounds and I am honestly lost...

So for an example, how would you find the compound

CuBr? or CaF2?

Please respond ASAP because I have a small quiz tomorrow on this stuff and I have to do 19 of these for homework.

Cahaun
10-04-2011, 06:22 PM
Hmm so you want the names of the compounds?

Leli
10-04-2011, 06:23 PM
umm umm ik this somewhere...

Spekticle
10-04-2011, 06:23 PM
Hmm so you want the names of the compounds?

No because I could just google them...

But I need help figuring out how to name them.

Drues
10-04-2011, 06:26 PM
isn't a compound 2 elements so would CuBr be the answer because CaF2 isn't an element the F2 is an ionization!
is that the question exactly or is it F+2<----which would be 2 positive ions.
see if this helps?

Spekticle
10-04-2011, 06:28 PM
isn't a compound 2 elements so would CuBr be the answer because CaF2 isn't an element the F2 is an ionization!
is that the question exactly or is it F+2<----which would be 2 positive ions.
see if this helps?
Well CuBr would be... Copper Bromide.

Im asking what is CaF2 <---That is how it is written.

Moogerfooger
10-04-2011, 06:32 PM
If you are looking to figure out just the names, it is just a lot of memorization unfortunately.

The first element in CuBr is "Cu" or copper. Br is Bromine, but you would say Copper Bromide (not Bromine). Copper usually has a charge of +2, but Bromine has normally -1, so this is technically Copper(I) Bromide, but dunno if your teach is looking for that much detail.

CuF2 is Copper Fluoride. Copper (Cu) is +2 normally here, and Fluroine (F) is -1 normally. so there has to be 2 fluorines to balance the +2 from one Copper. Fluorine usually is found in F2 anyway, so you will see a lot of compounds with F2 at the end of them, rarely just a F. Normal name, no (I) or (II) here.

Most simple compounds like these, usually have -ide on the end of the second element, if that makes sense. But remember, chemistry is a LOT of memorization and there are a lot of exceptions :)

I knew that damn minor in Chemistry would come in handy some day.

Im asking what is CaF2 <---That is how it is written.

Calcium Fluoride.

Drues
10-04-2011, 06:34 PM
yes it would be.
okay so to figure this out you need to do the following:
1. figure out what compound it is (ionic compound without a transition metal, ionic compounds with a transition metal, or a covalent compound)
ill tell you step two once you figure this out.
if you need help figuring out how to tell then just ask. Just remember what group each element is in which should show on the periodic table
:)

Drues
10-04-2011, 06:35 PM
Mooger got it exactly lol
follow that:)

JaytB
10-04-2011, 06:42 PM
If you are looking to figure out just the names, it is just a lot of memorization unfortunately.

The first element in CuBr is "Cu" or copper. Br is Bromine, but you would say Copper Bromide (not Bromine). Copper usually has a charge of +2, but Bromine has normally -1, so this is technically Copper(I) Bromide, but dunno if your teach is looking for that much detail.

CuF2 is Copper Fluoride. Copper (Cu) is +2 normally here, and Fluroine (F) is -1 normally. so there has to be 2 fluorines to balance the +2 from one Copper. Normal name, no (I) or (II) here.

Most simple compounds like these, usually have -ide on the end of the second element, if that makes sense. But remember, chemistry is a LOT of memorization and there are a lot of exceptions :)

I knew that damn minor in Chemistry would come in handy some day.

Calcium Fluoride.

I have no idea what you're talking about, but that's impressive bro O.o

Moogerfooger
10-04-2011, 06:53 PM
I have no idea what you're talking about, but that's impressive bro O.o

I haz a Biology degree and a Chemistry minor....which I have never used in any job I've ever had, haha. Forgotten a lot of it though. But now I have totally made it worth all the studying helping answer a random question on the STS forum.

Silly biology fact of the day: Did you know that when a bird poops on you, it is also peeing on you? They have only one outbound hole :D

Drues
10-04-2011, 07:00 PM
and you know what a frog has i asume?
a Cloaca LOL!

Spekticle
10-04-2011, 08:43 PM
I haz a Biology degree and a Chemistry minor....which I have never used in any job I've ever had, haha. Forgotten a lot of it though. But now I have totally made it worth all the studying helping answer a random question on the STS forum.

Silly biology fact of the day: Did you know that when a bird poops on you, it is also peeing on you? They have only one outbound hole :D

Well, in my opinion you put your knowledge to great use :-p

WhoIsThis
10-04-2011, 09:08 PM

Nomenclature is a pain. Especially with complex organic compounds.