PDA

View Full Version : It is a sad, sad day.

WoundedEagle
10-05-2011, 06:40 PM
:grief::grief::grief:Steve Jobs Died today.

http://media.npr.org/assets/img/2011/09/21/jobswhiteiphone_8484571_custom.jpg?t=1316632568&s=4

October 5, 2011
Steve Jobs — the man who brought us the iPhone, the iPod and the iMac — has died. The co-founder of Apple was 56 years old. Jobs had been battling a rare form of pancreatic cancer for years.

"It boggles the mind to think of all the things that Steve Jobs did," says Silicon Valley venture capitalist Roger McNamee, who worked with Jobs.

McNamee says that in addition to introducing us to desktop publishing and computer animated movies, Jobs should be credited with creating the first commercially successful computer.

"Any one of those would have qualified him as one of the great executives in American history," McNamee says, "the sum of which put him in a place where no one else has ever been before. To me he is of his era what Thomas Edison was to the beginning of the 20th century."

Jobs was just 21 when he co-founded Apple Computer in his garage in Cupertino, Calif., in 1976. The following year, when Jobs and his partner, Steve Wozniak, released the compact Apple II, most computers were big enough to fill a university basement or came from do-it-yourself kits for hobbyists with soldering irons.

More at: http://www.npr.org/2011/10/05/123826622/apple-visionary-steve-jobs-dies-at-56

Cascade
10-05-2011, 06:41 PM
He did? 0.0

Catwomen
10-05-2011, 06:42 PM
This is a very sad day indeed as this has happened he battled so hard to stay alive but he will be remembered always

Ebalere
Even sadder, his funeral has to pass Apple's approval process, which could take months.

....too soon?

Ayc2000
he was an amazing ceo for apple :dispirited:
RIP:(

Cytokinesis
He did? 0.0
YES.

Even sadder, his funeral has to pass Apple's approval process, which could take months.

ROFL

but seriously, R.I.P :sorrow:

Tvis
10-05-2011, 06:43 PM
even sadder, his funeral has to pass apple's approval process, which could take months.

....too soon?

lol :D

RedRyder
10-05-2011, 06:50 PM

....too soon?

Lmao... Omg.

RIP stevie

razerfingers
10-05-2011, 06:59 PM
Well windows's competitor is outta the water now :) lol jk R.I.P steveie jobss

SUPAPRODIGY
10-05-2011, 07:06 PM
R.I.P from my iphone thanks for such a great device... :(

cjackyo
10-05-2011, 07:10 PM

....too soon?

Gs lol

Moogerfooger
10-05-2011, 07:13 PM

....too soon?

Too soon. Dude was a visionary, like him or his products or not.

RedRyder
10-05-2011, 07:25 PM
I guess an apple a day doesn't keep the doctor away :(

For real though.. What a tragedy

elianel
10-05-2011, 07:36 PM
Do they have a app for that?
Rip

RedRyder
10-05-2011, 07:45 PM
Do they have a app for that

iCoffin. Lol no really we have to stop these jokes, even though he's probably laughing from the pearly gates

NYCFanMan
10-05-2011, 07:46 PM

....too soon?
Haha ROFL

Ebalere
10-05-2011, 07:53 PM

....too soon?

Too soon. Dude was a visionary, like him or his products or not.

Oh, sweet bro. Everyone else found it funny -_-

Kossi
10-05-2011, 07:57 PM
now we will slowly see the steve jobs and bill gates meme's dissapate

Flickz
10-05-2011, 08:06 PM

....too soon? Lmao thats so messed up but i was dying from laughing so hard

Lillypink
10-05-2011, 08:17 PM
R.I.P. steve jobs
He was a great creator :(

Piosidon
10-05-2011, 08:22 PM
Wow, I honestly don't know what to say.
I'll be dressing my bird in black to honor Steve, he always seems to have plenty of black shirts doesn't he?

Zeus
10-05-2011, 08:29 PM
I feel bad for contributing to his death by being one of the angry customers complaining about the iPhone 4S. After all, half the reason for his loss at cancer was the stress from the business.

SuperNas
10-05-2011, 08:49 PM
[QUOTE=Cascade;437505]He did? 0.0
YES.

My Android just laughed to the bank with that Ahaha

Moogerfooger
10-05-2011, 09:34 PM

Cool story bro.

1) Lost my grandmother two years ago to pancreatic cancer, same as Jobs.
2) Lost someone else close to me due to cancer, just last year.
3) Joking about anyone dying, especially due to cancer, especially during Breast Cancer Awareness Month? Tacky.

Pardon me if I think your joke was terrible. Go have some people close to you die due to various cancers and see if you dig jokes about people dying because of it.

Have a swell forum day.

Kaytar
10-05-2011, 09:36 PM
Everyone was saying this in game and I had no idea what it meant. Thanks for the info

Cytokinesis
10-05-2011, 09:46 PM

so ur saying it wasnt suppose to be a joke?

Samhayne
10-05-2011, 10:34 PM
Rest in Peace.

We had a lot of computers in our house when I was a kid, but our Apple II was by far the best!

Zeus
10-05-2011, 10:51 PM
Cool story bro.

3) Joking about anyone dying, especially due to cancer, especially during Breast Cancer Awareness Month? Tacky.

Pardon me if I think your joke was terrible. Go have some people close to you die due to various cancers and see if you dig jokes about people dying because of it.

Have a swell forum day.

Has anybody ever won an argument against you? Lol.

ProSophist
10-05-2011, 10:52 PM

....too soon?

Too REAL.... :|

Moogerfooger
10-05-2011, 11:31 PM
Has anybody ever won an argument against you? Lol.

Not about winning or losing arguments. And Royce schooled me coupla times back in the day.

RIP, Black Turtleneck.

CanonicalKoi
10-05-2011, 11:58 PM
It *is* sad. :( I hadn't heard until Ephemeris told me in SL. Bye, Steve--you'll be sorely missed. :(

A little blast from the past:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYecfV3ubP8

ETA since I hadn't read all the earlier part of the thread: Sorry, Eb, but my vote is with Moog on this. My grandmother, my grandfather, my mother, 2 aunts all died of various forms of cancer and an uncle who died of pancreatic cancer. If you've seen it close up, it's really hard to see any humor in it.

Kakatoa91
10-05-2011, 11:59 PM
Rest in Peace.

We had a lot of computers in our house when I was a kid, but our Apple II was by far the best!

Apple II... what a memory...
I remember i was amazed when i first saw it.
Naturally like all little kid, the first question was where are the games??
And my dad with a smile gave me those big dictionnary size books c++, basic,... "there program one yourself..."
That was really hard for a french speaking kid at first.

I really thought Steve Jobs would get better again and remake an other amazing come back.

You will be greatly miss Steve.

Isad

nazgulking
10-06-2011, 12:35 AM
Rest in pieve Steve, here an extract of his famous speech

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF8uR6Z6KLc

A great man has left this world, but I hope others will take his challenge to go against standards and pre-made concepts.
Innovation is the way to go and remeber... stay hungry, stay foolish!

Necrobane
10-06-2011, 01:04 AM
RIP Steve. On a possibly brighter note, the iPhone 4S is coming out - thoughts?

Onaraasider
10-06-2011, 06:42 AM
RIP. Microsoft is probably celebrating right now

Navygreen
10-06-2011, 06:52 AM

....too soon?

LMAO

RIP Steve! I appreciate everything!

MimeRifle
10-06-2011, 06:59 AM
Godspeed Mr. Jobs. (sent from my iPhone)

Paar
10-06-2011, 07:03 AM
RIP Steve Jobs, Thx for all the things you've done ...

StompArtist
10-06-2011, 08:52 AM

....too soon?

A bit too soon but who cares this is got to be the funniest post I have seen in a long time!

JaytB
10-06-2011, 09:03 AM
Personally I think it's a sad day. I believe he truly was a visionary and a 1-of-a-kind CEO. At the time when I was teaching presentation techniques in a previous job experience, I often used parts of his presentations as an example on how to do it right.

I'm in no way an apple fanboy, but one has to admit that Apple, under Steve, brought some revolutionary products to the market.

Only thing I can say is R.I.P. Steve :(

FluffNStuff
10-06-2011, 10:15 AM
Steve Jobs, Thank you for Darwin! It was your greatest acheivment, and it turned me from a MAC hater to a MAC fanboy!

stealthyman
10-06-2011, 10:34 AM
Well said man...well said :)

3xK
10-06-2011, 10:48 AM
Well... on one side a brilliant inovator, with the gold finger (anything he touched is gold - apple and pixar). And a very hardworking person, because he risked his live several times for constantly standing on radiation.

On the other side he was a mean tyran. He didnt want to move the apple (assambeling) production to the US, because he would have to give more pay to people. He had billions of money, but he refused to give the poor chinese people more than 100$ payment per month. Alot of the chinese workers did a suicide, then he finnaly raised their payments a little bit. He made people feel bad and made them cry.

Either way... R.I.P.

iFan

ExperimentNebulaCore
10-06-2011, 10:52 AM
R.I.p man

Ebalere
10-06-2011, 10:54 AM

Cool story bro.

Have a swell forum day.

Well, I've lost a fair share of friends and family to cancer. I wasn't joking about jobs or cancer or even death for that matter. It was a shot at Apple, so take it how you want to.

Moog, check my attachment. You will LOVE it. :D Excuse me for trying to bring a little light to such a tragic situation.

**Edited by Ebalere to avoid future trolling and flaming**

FluffNStuff
10-06-2011, 11:02 AM
On the other side he was a typical CEO. He didnt want to move the apple (assembling) production to the US, because he would have to charge more for his products then people (Americans) were willing to pay, which would cost his investors (Americans) money and cost the US higher paying development jobs. He had billions of (his investors) money, but (the factory owners) refused to give the poor chinese people more than 100$ payment per month. Alot of the chinese workers did a suicide, then the factory owners finnaly raised their payments a little bit after pressure from the international community. American Capitalism makes people feel bad and made them cry.

Don't want this to turn into a flammable topic (kinda tough when speaking of a cult of personality which naturally causes diametric opinions) so I figured I would correct the Grammar in the post.

3xK
10-06-2011, 11:11 AM
Tyvm for trying but it's the truth Fluff.

StompArtist
10-06-2011, 11:14 AM
Tyvm for trying but it's the truth Fluff.

Huh... I am quite certain that CEO's of large companies do not personally engage in contract negotiation with the assembly line workers....

Samhayne
10-06-2011, 12:58 PM
Hey guys,

Thanks in advance for keeping the discussion friendly and considerate.

I wanted to post up a video of Steve Jobs speaking to the 2005 Graduating Class at Stanford University.

http://www.ted.com/talks/steve_jobs_how_to_live_before_you_die.html

nazgulking
10-06-2011, 01:03 PM
Hey guys,

Thanks in advance for keeping the discussion friendly and considerate.

I wanted to post up a video of Steve Jobs speaking to the 2005 Graduating Class at Stanford University.

I ninja'd you on this some time ago :P

Samhayne
10-06-2011, 01:18 PM
I ninja'd you on this some time ago :P

My thread scanning skills failed me!

Good work, Nazgulking!

StompArtist
10-06-2011, 01:24 PM
My thread scanning skills failed me!

Better accelerate Moderator42's induction to STS!
Even Batman needs Robin sometimes!

Singleteddy
10-06-2011, 02:42 PM
I remember spending many an hour on the Apple II back in the day. Our family could not afford one ourselves, but one of my close friends had one. We often used it while as his home.

Later in life, I met and chatted with Steve Jobs and experienced his reality distortion field firsthand. He had a way of making you think things were possible when he spoke. He believed in changing the world, not just making incremental improvements. He was passionate and visionary.

Regarding STS, at the time the iPhone launched, smartphones were just 10% of phone sales and were seen as phones for businessmen, not consumers. Spacetime Studios was developing Blackstar for PCs, not phones. The current phone app market did not exist at that time. In fact, apps were seen as a iPhone weakness when it launched, but Apple has turned apps into a major strength. Even if you play the STS games now on Android, arguably you are only able to do so because of Steve Jobs.

He will be missed.