PDA

View Full Version : The story of Alterra and its people

nazgulking
10-06-2011, 01:16 AM
Alterra is a beautiful place which is home to the Ursan race.

The Ursan are bear-like humanoid creatures the have set their home in the snowy peaks of Frost Hollow. They have devoted themselves into mining and forging. All their lives resolves around the concept of "Only the Strong ones can survive".

Their natural greed, for new ways to improve their skills in the forging field, have made them go into the depths of all the terrains that Alterra can offer; from their mountains of their capital city to the forests of Vylwood, from the sand plains of Oasis to the swamps of Lake Loiue.

In their homeworld, due to their need of mining new type of minerals, they have met the yetis.
These creatures have always hated the Ursan, since they carelessly destroy the depths of their beloved mountains, and envyed them for the results they could obtain from the forging of beautiful armours, shields and weapons. Since the first writings brought by the wisest of the Ursan race we know that each other always ignored, delaying the inevitable clash, known simply as "the Incident". We don't know what actually made the situation go worse, but one day one of the Frost Kings of the yetis, the highest rank in the yeti society, have declared war upon the Ursan. A great battle was soon seen by those old mountains, but the victory was not held by either side and from the day of the Incident, the two factions are sworn enemies.

Beign so stubborn and sure of their state of beign just right, it is difficult to make a normal Ursan change their mind, unless there is a practical reason to do so.
Not all of the Ursan follow the way of their brothers. Some of them have followed the way of magic, which end up beign the self-proclaimed Druids, and the way of swiftness, which make bear go they way of the thieves and bandits.

The druids have crossed paths with many great magicians from the elven forests to the human distant island, but still can not master the spell that these races have learned in millenia of studies. Using staves, wands and their natural stubborn nature, they help their friends and brothers but do not seek glory for themselves or in the arenas.
The bandit bears instead have made their greed reach their highest peaks and took what they learned from the Avians of the sand plains of Oasis to satisfy themselves. No one trust them, even when they are helping the Alliance, because their final goal is to acquire all the treasures they encounter in their quests.

Most of all the Ursans reside still on those Frosty peaks but some of them have answered the call of the Queen of the Alliance of Alterra and are still helping into unveiling the mistery of the recent events that, from the rumors and whispers of an unnamed fear, deals with the same entity that have led to the first Great War of Alterra, which no one wants to talk about.

The Alliance is just that, a name, but Ursan are known to have a great memory and from that historical moment the Ursan circle of the Mighty ones have permitted selected humans to be welcome in their homeworld.

nazgulking
10-06-2011, 01:16 AM
Alterra is a beautiful place which is home to the Avian race.

The Avians are bird-like humanoids that have a story filled with many misfortuned events that eventually led to what is an open wound for all of them: The Great Exile.

They have a natural tendency to be curios. This trait of their race have always been a major benefit, making them the best marksman of all the known lands. They like to be swift and to gain what they want in the shortest time possible. This way of getting things done have led their former capital city "Golden Beak", deep into the forests East of the plains of Oasis, to be a place reknowed for their annual festivals. These moments have always led to the meeting of fabolous people that one day formed one of the best known of the travelling companies: Nuri travelling company. Since then it gathers the best artists of all races to make them travel the world and make all the people watch in awe what they can offer. Their leader, as a rule passed from parent to son is to be called Nuri, as the name of the first founder of the company.

Their empire of knowledge brought the art of woodworking and archery to become legendary. Avians have always been formed in city-states; every one of them having their own rules, but Golden Beak was the one with most influence since it was ruled by its magnetic ruler, known as Av'ian (Name from which all their race took the name).
Av'ian was a fair and just ruler, so carismatic that no one was to go against his will, no one apart from his brother.
He was so at odds with him that he searched all the globe a way to get rid of his brother. After venturing into the depths of the desert, west of his homecountry, he eventually found that answer.

Trace of an ancient race was left in the pyramids. These structures were nothing more than beacons that needed to be activated to call these ancient beigns into the realm of Alterra. After having deciphered the misterious glyphs left by the race of the Shadows, he found a way to destroy Golden Beak with a weapon left by the ancient ones. Before he could achieve his evil plan these beigns, called by him, came to the pyramid and deceived him by pretending to giving him the power to overthrown his brother. In the end they transformed him into their loyal servant Anubis, whose mind was brainwashed to just serve the "Ancients".

Shortly after they were driven by Anubis himself to Golden Beak, killing all the avians on their path. Av'ian before seeing the slaughtering of his people or see them enslaved took the gift made by the Queen of the elves: the stopwatcher. This magical artifact could stop time and make just selected people by the owner of the artifact to actually move. Av'ian chose to make its people flee their homeland. It could save his people but not himself, since the watch to work must be held still at all time to be used.
The last words of their beloved ruler was "Always look forward and never forget the time is consuming". When enough time passed and Av'ian felt that enough of its people were safe he stopped the watch and he was swarmed by the forces of the "Ancients".

Avians fled from the forests to the desert and founded the city of Oasis.
They say that the magical pool in the center of the city was formed by those who shed tears for their beloved and carismatic leader.
Still now the memory of Av'ian is still strong. Even if he did all what he could to save the Avian race from certain death not all of his brothers and sisters survived the so called "Great Exile". Some became slaves of the Ancients, others became shadows at the mercy of the Ancients and other are just but disappeared.

After so much grief, they were helped by the elves that gave them the means to build a new life for their people in the desert. From that day forward the Avians are what are known now and still seek revenge against the "Ancients" that razed all their towns.

When the Queen of the elves called for help the Avians were more than willing to help them after they gave them a hand in a time of need. They went through the Great War with great losses but an even greater victory ahead. They broke their former habit of living in city states and almost all the Avians live now in Oasis.
Some of them have met the Ursans of Frosty Hollow and have tried to follow their teachings becaming blademasters.
Others have tried the hard way of the magic and with their, now, friend humans have formed the circle of the sages, composed by humand archmages and Avian wardens.

They seek now some rest from their griefing past within the Alliance of Alterra, trying to not make the same mistakes of the past and, maybe one day, reconquer their old homeland, which now is a mere wasteland.

nazgulking
10-06-2011, 01:17 AM
Alterra is a beautiful place which is home to the Elven race.

The elfs are a squirrel-like humanoids who have mastered the way of the arcane and are the ones that, involuntarily, started the "Great War".

Knowing the elfs as they are now, it hard to believe that their ancestors were tree-dwellers with no predisposition to the way of magic. It all began with Bale the Great first King of the Elves. Very few is known of his origins but all we have is that He created the elf society and he founded their capital city "The Fort".
The society of the elves is mainly made by females, but once in a while a male child will be given to birth. Only the Males can rule over the elf society as King, while Queens are the best enchantresses that get their title by the demonstration of their great value. Since the first writings there always been just one King and one Queen only.
Many people from the outside critized this system: why a male should be given the right to rule all others? Because all the elves have chosen this way and from that moment forward this law still applies.

The Elven race is enthralled by the wisdom and they seek it all their life long. They are the wisest of all the races that step foot on the soil of Alterra; for this reason, when there is a dispute, they are always questioned to resolve it. It is incrediblly easy for them to make a new formula, concoction or spell by just concentrating a few minutes, while the best archmages or wardens struggle to do it in a week of hard work. They are always willing to help others and make their knowledge accessible to others.

A major part of their powers comes from the orbs scattered across their forests.
It seems that the mere presence of these objects grants them a great amount of magical power. These fabolous artifacts were actually manifactured by Bale himself with mystical dark crystal whose origin could not be questioned. It seemed that all the times he was asked about them he become extremely unstable and irritated. He could never understand himself why he was always getting angry by those questions. Also he could not say how he was able to manifacture those orbs, because when doing so he was always going in a trance-like state, with no memory of what he was doing in the process.
The only thing that was clear as fire is Him seeing glyphs all around him. Once he even crafted dresses with those glyphs, giving the bearer the greatest of all powers.

One day he began to hear voices in his head, but one was more clear than others "Son!". Indeed he never met his parents, so driven by curiosity he began to go all around the globe to find answers to his questions. Eventually he found them among the Avians. He remebered that sad story of their people and was captured by one detail. The brother of Av'ian encountered some glyphs in his quest to crush his brother in the pyramids not so much distant from Oasis.
He investigated the pyramids himself and he decipher the glyphs, not yet aware of what he was unveiling.
The story he was reading was a very odd one.

"Milions of ages ago a Great Being, which calls himself "Saunaz", created the world we all know. He was coming from a distant planet where all people of the race he was affiliated with were reseracher, just like the elves. He, more than others, was inspecting the ways to create the perfect race. He first created the "Ancients" and they prospered among the plane of the "Rift". After them having reached the highest peak of their civilization he moved to the plane of the "Cosmos" and founded what he called "Arretla" and made 4 different races, each one with a major trait: One was to get Strengh from the Earth, One from the Air, One from the Fire and One from the Water.
He watched his creations grow and build cities and societies and decided to put among the fire-dwellers his best creation, "the one which from the Strengh of wisdom could sparkle the life into this realm".
Unfortunately his first creation were getting out of control and taking an unexpected turn. They were craving for more power. In a moment of madness Saunaz drove the Ancients into his own home planet. The ancients razed the planet and took all knowledge of the Great Beings for themselves.
After such "marvellous" discoveries he moved to the plane of the "Void" and there is waiting for his true son to awake and make him finish his test on the plane of Cosmos"

After reading this Bale understood and the son of Saunaz awoke. "Son finally you have found me, it is time for me to finish what I have started"
In that moment the Sun became as dark as the pits of Frosty Hollow and a big gate was opened between the Void and the Cosmos.
The Great War just began.

nazgulking
10-06-2011, 01:17 AM
Alterra is a beautiful place which is going to meet its doom in what in the annals of Alterra is going to be remebered as the Great War.

Bale was aware of its true origin now. One second after his "father" teleported him in the plane of Void.
What he was seeing is much like the name implies: miles and miles of wastes. A dark aura was all around him. Instead of trees, big columns of Obsidian. Instead of water, there were black marshes, instead of light there was but darkness.

"Only few can walk these lands without losing their minds. Come to my tower. Come my Son"

And there it was. Glimmering in the distance there was a tall spiky tower with no apparent entrance.
Suddenly a door opened in the black structure a long staircase was awating him.

Cold. That was the feeling that he felt going up those black stairs. A sense of nothingness.
At the end of the staircase there was a big room illuminated by violet torches.
Sitting on its Dark throne there was Saunaz. He was inside a black armour encased in a prison of Obsidian. The cage was imprisoning its feet and hands, not letting him move from his throne of darkness. The helm was not letting Bale see his father eyes or face.

"Come"

Bale approached the throne and telepathically his father was talking to him.

"After so many Eons my time have come. Time to finish."
"Time to finish what?" inquired Bale.
"Time to finish the life on this pitiful land"

A sense of chilling pervaded Bale.

"My experiment on this plane have taken too long, time to gather all the life in the plane of Cosmos and charge this tower"
"Why? You are a Great Beign, you should devote yourself to the research of wisdom of life, not use it to destroy it!"

"Me? Ah! I'm not a Great Beign, I am something far more superior. I have used your father's body to encase my soul and... Do you see this tower made of black Obsidian? It had been made of the souls I have collected during these eons through the planes. Using a process invented by your father it cristalize the souls of the dead and make them objects to create an even greater power."
"Who are you, then?"
"I am The Void"

Seeing what the Void was poiting at, Bale tried to kill him. The Void was much more powerful than him and dodged the attack and encaged him in a black prison.
"You fool! You are not a dweller of this plane, You are a Void-dweller! You are my Son and I won't permit that the feelings you gained on that plane to blur your vision! If you are not going to help me willingly, I will make you do it! I've learned to use the life of others to pursuit my objectives and this have never let me down. I will make you understand it by making you see Arretla burn in black flames! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

Terrified by that vision and not been able to move he did the only thing that was able to. Using his amazing powers he talked telepatically to the Queen of the elves.

"My Queen a dire time is ahead of us! And war will be brought to our lands. I am imprisoned in the plane of the Void and its black flames are going burn our beloved Alterra. Listen to what you have to do..."

The queen requested the help of all the species inhabiting Alterra: Ursans, Avians, Human and Elves. All answered the call.
No one was certain of what it was awating them, but they gathered as many warriors they could.

Soon from the gate between the Void and the Cosmos a black mob appeared. They were zombies, skeletons, demons and other monstrosities. They were millions and milions.
At that time the Queen understood the plan of her King. He asked all the warriors to help the people of Alterra take refugee in the Fort.
There was time to gather them since the Portal opened near the old homeland of the Avians.
The plan was working. With their magic powers the elves created a vault in the Fort able to contain all the people of Alterra and the Ursans, Avians and Men helped the free people of Alterra to take refugee in their vaults. The only ones that did not answered the call were the yetis,the crocs and the dwarves.

When all was done, there they were ammassing around the Fort. The dark forces of the Void. mindless servants of Its will.
The Queen talked to all the warriors and told them the plan:

"My dear friends. The time to hold back the forces have come. Bale have been trapped by unknown forces in other plane, but was able to tell me how to use his crystals to overcome the enemy force, but I need you to hold them back as long as you can.
There will be a time when your names will be written in the annals of history, go brave warriors! You will not be forgotten"

A lengendary vision. On one side in the front lines there were the Ursans, with their gem-encrusted shields and plate armours, side by side with the humans. In the back the Avians with their bows were ready for the battle.
On the other side a big black Mob with grunts and one clear voice saying "MEAT!"

A moment of hesitation... and GO!

"Go! Go! Go!", "I'll have Zombie head in my sandwich tonight" The Ursans were shouting and charged at the enemy, while the humans stayed a tad back to help the frontlines to decimate whoever gets past them.
They were cutting limbs and heads and a rain of black blood was covering the sacred forests of the Elves.
The Avians in the back helped to keep the undeads at bay killing them from afar, zombies and skeletons alike.

All semed pretty easy at the beginning, but then they came trolls and huge hulking undead frankensteins. They were hitting hard and were crushing the frontlines, thanks to their clevers and pitchforks. Still the Avians were helping them by making them full of holes thanks to their swift arrows.

With all their hard work, they could never hold back the milions of forces that were pushing against the Fort. Time by time The Alterra forces were loosing ground. They were actually ouside the main doors of the Fort and one of the Ursans' lieutenant shouted: "Dang you elves, how long is taking you to make a damn miracle happen?" and looking at the center of the main plaza of the Fort , he saw the elves were assembling a giant black crystal upon a pedestal.
Suddenly an earthquake shaked the land and the Queen shouted: "Warriors! Come near the crystal!".
They obeyed and after closing the main doors of the city the Queen sealed the vault and created a magical shield all around the crystal. A great violet lighting was creating around the crystal and began tracing a circle. The circle was almost completed when the forces of the Void break down the main doors and clash upon the magical shield of the Queen.

No one knew what the cristal was about to be doing, but the dark force were trying to break the shield down when, just in time,the circle completed and a light brighter than a thousand suns shined and from the crystal began an enourmous black explosion.

Everyone shut their eyes and hold their breath.

Nick41324
10-06-2011, 01:30 AM
Thats dedication if u ask me....

Jessica162
10-06-2011, 02:30 PM
awesome! but would be nicer if they were in paragraphs...reading them really hurts my eyes lol :o

nazgulking
10-06-2011, 03:01 PM
Say what? .... Done :)

NoobianOfAlterra
10-06-2011, 03:05 PM
amazing story! hope to see more...btw all your 'mystery' are 'mistery' :)

nazgulking
10-06-2011, 04:27 PM
amazing story! hope to see more...btw all your 'mystery' are 'mistery' :)
One less mistery, with the history of the Avians unveiled :)

NoobianOfAlterra
10-06-2011, 05:20 PM
Alterra ia a beautiful place which is home to the Avian race.

The Avians are bird-like humanoids that have a story filled with many misfortuned events that eventually led to what is an open wound for all of them: The Great Exile.

They have a natural tendency to be curios. This trait of their race have always been a major benefit, making them the best marksman of all the known lands. They like to be swift and to gain what they want in the shortest time possible. This way of getting things done have led their former capital city "Golden Beak", deep into the forests East of the plains of Oasis, to be a place reknowed for their annual festivals. These moments have always led to the meeting of fabolous people that one day formed one of the best known of the travelling companies: Nuri travelling company. Since then it gathers the best artists of all races to make them travel the world and make all the people watch in awe what they can offer. Their leader, as a rule passed from parent to son is to be called Nuri, as the name of the first founder of the company.

Their empire of knowledge brought the art of woodworking and archery to become legendary. Avians have always been formed in city-states; every one of them having their own rules, but Golden Beak was the one with most influence since it was ruled by its magnetic ruler, known as Av'ian (Name from which all their race took the name).
Av'ian was a fair and just ruler, so carismatic that no one was to go against his will, no one apart from his brother.
He was so at odds with him that he searched all the globe a way to get rid of his brother. After venturing into the depths of the desert, west of his homecountry, he eventually found that answer.

Trace of an ancient race was left in the pyramids. These structures were nothing more than beacons that needed to be activated to call these ancient beigns into the realm of Alterra. After having deciphered the misterious glyphs left by the race of the Shadows, he found a way to destroy Golden Beak with a weapon left by the ancient ones. Before he could achieve his evil plan these beigns, called by him, came to the pyramid and deceived him by pretending to giving him the power to overthrown his brother. In the end they transformed him into their loyal servant Anubis, whose mind was brainwashed to just serve the "Ancients".

Shortly after they were driven by Anubis himself to Golden Beak, killing all the avians on their path. Av'ian before seeing the slaughtering of his people or see them enslaved took the gift made by the Queen of the elves: the stopwatcher. This magical artifact could stop time and make just selected people by the owner of the artifact to actually move. Av'ian chose to make its people flee their homeland. It could save his people but not himself, since the watch to work must be held still at all time to be used.
The last words of their beloved ruler was "Always look forward and never forget the time is consuming". When enough time passed and Av'ian felt that enough of its people were safe he stopped the watch and he was swarmed by the forces of the "Ancients".

Avians fled from the forests to the desert and founded the city of Oasis.
They say that the magical pool in the center of the city was formed by those who shed tears for their beloved and carismatic leader.
Still now the memory of Av'ian is still strong. Even if he did all what he could to save the Avian race from certain death not all of his brothers and sisters survived the so called "Great Exile". Some became slaves of the Ancients, others became shadows at the mercy of the Ancients and other are just but disappeared.

After so much grief, they were helped by the elves that gave them the means to build a new life for their people in the desert. From that day forward the Avians are what are known now and still seek revenge against the "Ancients" that razed all their towns.

When the Queen of the elves called for help the Avians were more than willing to help them after they gave them a hand in a time of need. They went through the Great War with great losses but an even greater victory ahead. They broke their former habit of living in city states and almost all the Avians live now in Oasis.
Some of them have met the Ursans of Frosty Hollow and have tried to follow their teachings becaming blademasters.
Others have tried the hard way of the magic and with their, now, friend humans have formed the circle of the sages, composed by humand archmages and Avian wardens.

They seek now some rest from their griefing past within the Alliance of Alterra, trying to not make the same mistakes of the past and, maybe one day, reconquer their old homeland, which now is a mere wasteland.
Wow this is some amazing story! Great storyline, but what I liked most was your structuring, how smooth the whole thing was and the way you grip the readers! A++ ;)

nazgulking
10-06-2011, 11:57 PM
Eheh thank you :) MOAR will be coming soon...

TheChairmaker
10-07-2011, 12:10 AM
Eheh thank you :) MOAR will be coming soon...
Want MOAR to come soon! Great job :)

nazgulking
10-07-2011, 01:14 AM
Thanks :D Since the week-end is just at the door, I'm confident that I will finish it by Sunday :) Expect some fireworks, especially in the last part. I'm thinking to use one of the actual guilds present in the forum as a part of the history of Alterra :)

TheChairmaker
10-07-2011, 01:28 PM
Thanks :D Since the week-end is just at the door, I'm confident that I will finish it by Sunday :) Expect some fireworks, especially in the last part. I'm thinking to use one of the actual guilds present in the forum as a part of the history of Alterra :)

Nice idea :adoration: Excited to see the other parts! :smile:

nazgulking
10-07-2011, 01:56 PM
Here we go with unveiling the Elven story. Next will be the Great War chronicle... stay tuned :)

TheChairmaker
10-08-2011, 12:21 AM
Alterra ia a beautiful place which is home to the Elven race.

The elfs are a squirrel-like humanoids who have mastered the way of the arcane and are the ones that, involuntarily, started the "Great War".

Knowing the elfs as they are now, it hard to believe that their ancestors were tree-dwellers with no predisposition to the
way of magic. It all began with Bale the Great first King of the Elves. Very few is known of his origins but all we have is that He created the elf society and he founded their capital city "The Fort".
The society of the elves is mainly made by females, but once in a while a male child will be given to birth. Only the Males can rule over the elf society as King, while Queens are the best enchantresses that get their title by the demonstration of their great value. Since the first writings there always been just one King and one Queen only.
Many people from the outside critized this system: why a male should be given the right to rule all others? Because all the elves have chosen this way and from that moment forward this law still applies.

The Elven race is enthralled by the wisdom and they seek it all their life long. They are the wisest of all the races that step foot on the soil of Alterra; for this reason, when there is a dispute, they are always questioned to resolve it. It is incrediblly easy for them to make a new formula, concoction or spell by just concentrating a few minutes, while the best archmages or wardens struggle to do it in a week of hard work. They are always willing to help others and make their

knowledge accessible to others.

A major part of their powers comes from the orbs scattered across their forests.
It seems that the mere presence of these objects grants them a great amount of magical power. These fabolous artifacts were actually manifactured by Bale himself with mystical dark crystal whose origin could not be questioned. It seemed that all the times he was asked about them he become extremely unstable and irritated. He could never understand
himself why he was always getting angry by those questions. Also he could not say how he was able to manifacture those orbs, because when doing so he was always going in a trance-like state, with no memory of what he was doing in the process.
The only thing that was clear as fire is Him seeing glyphs all around him. Once he even crafted dresses with those glyphs, giving the bearer the greatest of all powers.
One day he began to hear voices in his head, but one was more clear than others "Son!". Indeed he never met his parents, so driven by curiosity he began to go all around the globe to find answers to his questions. Eventually he found them among the Avians. He remebered that sad story of their people and was captured by one detail. The brother of Av'ian encountered some glyphs in his quest to crush his brother in the pyramids not so much distant from Oasis.
He investigated the pyramids himself and he decipher the glyphs, not yet aware of what he was unveiling.
The story he was reading was a very odd one.

"Milions of ages ago a Great Beign, which calls himself "Saunaz", created the world we all know. He was coming from a distant planet where all people of the race he was affiliated with were reseracher, just like the elves. He, more than others, was inspecting the ways to create the perfect race. He first created the "Ancients" and they prospered among the
plane of the "Rift". After them having reached the highest peak of their civilization he moved to the plane of the "Cosmos" and founded what he called "Arretla" and made 4 different races, each one with a major trait: One was to get Strengh from the Earth, One from the Air, One from the Fire and One from the Water.
He watched his creations grow and build cities and societies and decided to put among the fire-dwellers his best creation, "the one which from the Strengh of wisdom could sparkle the life into this realm".
Unfortunately his first creation were getting out of control and taking an unexpected turn. They were craving for more power. In a moment of madness Saunaz drove the Ancients into his own home planet. The ancients razed the planet and
took all knowledge of the Great Beigns for themselves.
After such "marvellous" discoveries he moved to the plane of the "Void" and there is waiting for his true son to awake and make him finish his test on the plane of Cosmos"

After reading this Bale understood and the son of Saunaz awoke. "Son finally you have found me, it is time for me to finish what I have started"
In that moment the Sun became as dark as the pits of Frosty Hollow and a big gate was opened between the Void and
the Cosmos.
The Great War just began.

OMG I LOVE IT! You do have a few typos though. "The Great Beign" should be "The Great Being". There're a few others. I love the story :biggrin: *orders nazgulking to write the Great War* That sounds really interesting :biggrin:

nazgulking
10-08-2011, 01:09 AM
Yeah i know the typos are my worst enemies. Can you pm me them? :)

nazgulking
10-08-2011, 05:15 AM
Actually I need another post to finish the Great War... as for now enjoy the first part of the Great War :)
What do you think, should I continue writing?

TheChairmaker
10-08-2011, 09:27 AM
Absolutely :) maybe copy them into a Word document and look for typos like that, it's easier than doing it on the forums cos the boxes don't show much text :( I couldn't see that many typos/spelling errors, so just check 'em like that. But yeah, keep writing - you shouldn't give up something you're good at :)

nazgulking
10-08-2011, 11:34 AM
I have to say that English is not my mother tongue. I use this as a way to keep myself up-to-date and to give STS a reason to make a deep story for the games they are making :) I hope you have liked the last chapter, because the conclusion is at hand :)

Azamaster
10-08-2011, 01:03 PM
Wow! This is great! Can't wait for the next chapter.

TheChairmaker
10-08-2011, 11:23 PM
I have to say that English is not my mother tongue.
You can't tell. Yay! Last chapter :P I agree, it would be nice if STS made a really deep backstory for the game.

nazgulking
10-09-2011, 09:08 AM
Alterra is a beautiful place and the Great War has begun, the fate of all shall be decided.

The Queen, first of all, opened slightly one of her eyes.

"Am I dead?"

No, actually no-one died and all around them the black flames of the crystals of Bale have cleansed the evil brought by the Void. Also the other warriors of Alterra opened their eyes. No one was believeing their eyes until the Ursan lieutenant said: "You took your sweet time to make a miracle happen, don't you elves?"
Everyone burst into joy thanking everything they have dear for been still alive.
The only one that was not sharing the same joy as the others was the Queen. She knew that this was just the first wave and others will come, it was just a matter of time.

Meanwhile in the Void Bale rejoiced for the glorious victory of his people.
"HAHAHAHA! You know that the victory your pitiful people have achieved is just postponig their inevitable doom. Shortly I will send andother wave of my dark servants. Maybe they can resist another wave, but they will eventually fall and, in the end, the victory shall be mine."
Bale in a moment of anger replied to his father "You are not my father! Those are my people and if they are going to die, I want to die with them as one of them!"
"So be it!"

In a moment Bale was sent back to Alterra at the Fort. The Queen after seeing Bale sent back from the unknown began to cry for the joy.
"My King finally you have returned to us. I dont know what to say..."
"Then don't say nothing and enjoy this fragment of happiness" Bale said and smiled shortly after to his queen. After gaining back on his feet he went back to the Fort to inform his people and all the free people of Alterra of his plan to end this war once and for all.

"My friends, free people of Alterra! A great threat is ahead of us. The name of this enemy is Void. Apparently he is my father and wants to use my powers to destroy everything that we have made in these millenia. I know what it has to be done, but I need a small squad of warriors brave enough to follow me in its realm and that may never return back."
A sense of chilling was in the air. The firsts to withdraw were the humans "So you have brought war in our lands? And we should help you risking our lives? You made the mess and now you resolve it!"
After them Ursans, Avians and even the Elves were leaving him alone.
The only one to stay by his side was the Queen: "I will come with you! I can't leave you go and risk your life for us!"
"My Queen you have to stay here and guide our people to its fate, I will go alone..."
"No, not alone!" Answered a voice between the human lines.
"The knights of Cydonia will be your bodyguards in your travel through the Void! Our goal was always to battle for the Greater Good and we shall follow you!"
This was Skav, the captain of the chapter of the knights of Cydonia.

Cydonia is a detached human reign located on the mainland of Alterra, distant from the main capital on the Island of Humania. They were the most moderate and open Human realm to the animaloids, this is how the human calls the Ursans, Avians and Elves. They were always in good releationship with all the animal reigns of Alterra. The king of Cydonia was a good Friend of Av'ian, the Ursan circle and Bale himself.
He was the one that founded the Knights, an order devoted to the pursuit of the Greater Good, and the only one to accept Humans, Ursans, Elves and Avians alike. The only rule was that they should use sword and shield to battle their enemies.
This orders gave birth to the paladins and the blademasters. Elves and Avians going against their naturals traits and go beyond them, with the extra protection of an armour and limitation to work in close quarters.Only the best elements may enter this order and after years of training they are natural killing machines.
The actual leader of the Knights is Skav, who responds to the King of Cydonia himself, and the number of the Knights is 10, leader included.

"Are you mad? Are you going to risk your lives for Bale, who most probably betrayed us to this "Void" entity?"
"Yes" was the short answer of Skav.
"Thanks for your sacrifice. You will be always remebered and the clash between Humans and Animaloids that we may have encountered shall be buried in the past" replied Bale.

With no further delays, Bale and the Knights of Cydonia began their march to the portal. When they approached it Bale halted the Knights and told them "This is a realm of darkness and your powers alone won't be enough. I will enchant your armours, shields, weapons and souls for the voyage ahead of us"
Using the powers of the Void Bale did so. A great black aura was all around him and when he actually give them the promised powers, the kinghts felt like 300 soldiers each.

They step into the portal and teleported back to the Void realm. No one was shaked by the vision, because they were pursuing the Greater Good, something they were running after all their lives long, so no fear struck their hearts. They approached the tower of Saunaz and there Bale explained the plan to the Knights.
"I need to destroy 2 crystals in order to weaken the "Void", give me the time to do so, soldiers"
"Yes sir!" was the only response that came from the Knights and then another voice came and it was no friendly at all:

"So betrayer of a son, you have returned to your home with 10 pitiful soldiers? That is all your army? HAHAHAHAH! I laugh at your foolishness. I know your plan aleady. You will never kill me, because I am Immortal! And you will be crushed by my servants once and for all!"
From all corners the black swarm was coming and craving to eat their fleshes.
"Soldiers the time of our glory have finally come and we will become Immortals ourselves" Said Skav.

The Knights began the formation, making an impenetrable wall of shields and lances. The demons were charging at them and when they clashed at the Knights shields, thanks to the power of the Void, they were repulsed back killing all the demons the repulsed ones got in contact with.
They were cutting deomons and undead apart three to 5 at time. They felt like immortals. They were killing thousands like it was a walk in the park. No matter if the enemy were weakling zombies or a big demons with pitchfork, they felt they could withstand all the enemies of hell itself.
The more the battle was taking the more the Knights were feeling the enchantment of Bale was vanishing.
Bale had already destroyed the first crystal and was about to do the same with second when the first Knight fell to the enemy, trepassed part by part by a pitchfork.
The Knights didn't care and continued battling and more of the Knights were falling.
In the end there was only Skav himself left to defend Bale, when finally he was able to destroy the last crystal.

A shake went through the Void. Bale's father got weakened by the destruction of its power source. The Undead were in disarray, thanks to the lack of guidance of Saunaz who was weak enough to loose the dominion over the forces of this plane.
Bale thought that the mere destruction of the crystals would kill his father, but understood what the next step was necessary.

"Skav, I need to encase my father in a prison which he will never escape and I need to use a concentrated source of Shadow essence.... Mine"
"What are you saying? I thought you achieved your goals" Replied Skav
"No my dear friend, I thank you and your Knights for the time you have given me to weaken my father. Now I have to end this and seal the portal between the Void and Cosmo once and for all, with my sacrifice"
"You don't have to do this Bale! I will put my sword into its heath myself!"
"You can't kill him Skav, neither can I. This is the only way... take this crystal and, for the Greater Good that you believe in, gave it to my Queen so that they can research another way to get their powers from, so they can rebuild Alterra as it once was" Bale said.
"No I won't leave you here alone!"
"You have no choice Skav" Bale said after giving him the crystal.

Bale teleported back Skav to Alterra and his last words were "Good bye my good friend. Make sure Alterra will live on after this. Please watch over our beautiful land".
Before accomplishing the last act he telepatically talked to his Queen and said "My dear Queen, these are my last words as your King. Skav is the only survivor of the Knights of Cydonia I will now close the portal from the Void and encase my father in a prison he will not be able to escape anymore. I wanted to thank you, because thanks to you I have felt things that I would have never felt otherwise, feelings that the Void cannot provide. Love. Love for my land, for my people and for...You. Now You have to be strong for all of us and guide the people of Alterra in this time of uncertainty.
Farewell, my dear and beloved Queen."

A tear, from the eyes of Queen, came out and formed a crystal that still now is at the base of the Mana and Health potions made by the Elves.
As a last action towards her king, the Queen made all the people of Alterra see what Bale was about to be doing.
All Alterra was there in the Void, near Bale to see his final act.
He was channelling all the Shadow essence inside of him.

"You cannot kill me by what I am made" Said Saunaz still weak for the destruction of the cyrstals.
"You are right" said Bale " I cannot kill someone empty of feelings with just hate and fear. You always said that we have to use life as a meaning to pursuit our objectives. YOU ARE WRONG! Life is made to be lived. It is made to feel something that in all your life you have never felt. You always have been so busy to create sorrow for others, that you never stopped thinking what others were feeling..."
"What? What are you talking about?" Asked Saunaz.
"I will imprison you with the hatred you have caused. All the sorrow you have created will be targeted back at you, with the power of the Void and Cosmos togheter!"

The normally black aura of Bale was getting white little by little. The hatred and sorrow of the Void was mixing togheter with the power of the good feelings of the Cosmos.
The material existence of Bale was vanishing and becoming a beacon of pure energy, when all that was left of Bale became pure energy it channeled through the black tower of Saunaz and created an impenetrable barrier all around the Void. Saunaz was becoming less and less powerful, loosing the grasp on the portal between the two planes. The portal was getting smaller and smaller until it collapsed creating a big explosion in the sky that ended in a rain of golden sparkles.

And that was the end of the "Great War". From that day forward the city of the "Fort" was renamed to "Balefort" in honor to the sacrifice of Bale to keep Alterra safe.
Every time that there is a comet storm, they call them the Bale's tears, remembering the sacrifice he made to secure the land for all of them.

nazgulking
10-09-2011, 09:09 AM
And with this we end the history of Alterra :)

Azamaster
10-09-2011, 09:27 AM
*applause*
I just saw you in balefort announcing this was done. This is an amazing story, it really fills in what is never explained to you in the game.

nazgulking
10-09-2011, 09:34 AM
*applause*
I just saw you in balefort announcing this was done.

Thanks. That is called marketing :D

Ghastly
10-09-2011, 09:44 AM
Lol reading that was ten times better than twilight

TheChairmaker
10-09-2011, 10:11 AM
That was amazing. However, I do feel the last chapter was blatantly advertising KOC lol :) nevertheless, well done! I've enjoyed reading this!

nazgulking
10-09-2011, 10:18 AM
That was amazing. However, I do feel the last chapter was blatantly advertising KOC lol :) nevertheless, well done! I've enjoyed reading this!
I've told that I was about to use one of the in-game guilds as part of the story. So it was expected :D

TheChairmaker
10-09-2011, 10:21 AM
I've told that I was about to use one of the in-game guilds as part of the story. So it was expected :D
Ah yes. I forgot this, as I have a rather bad memory :)

nazgulking
10-09-2011, 10:23 AM
No problem pal. The important thing is that you have enjoyed it :)

nazgulking
10-09-2011, 01:06 PM
*applause*
I just saw you in balefort announcing this was done. This is an amazing story, it really fills in what is never explained to you in the game.

Thanks. This is my way to say that if I could make it in a week (actually less), without taking all day to think of it, then it is not an impossible task. :)
I've tried to make an immervise background story, taking some of the actual in-game features and unexplained facts and put them togheter to make a story that does make sense in a fantasy setting.

P.S. Left some thanks to all the peeps that have left a comment here. Thank you guys :)
P.S.S. Chairmaker you will be the next to get a Thanks, unfortunately I have run out of reputation dispensing LOL

NoobianOfAlterra
10-09-2011, 04:11 PM
hey those are amazing stories, and they lead me to some inspirations. is it fine if I like, write a sequel of the great war for you? It'll consists of the epic battles between the current guilds :wink:

Nourish
10-09-2011, 04:17 PM
Purty awezome!!!

xXDamonDXx
10-09-2011, 05:10 PM
What? No Story of Fnord?
^lol jk.

Too much for me to read right now lol, but great job on this, looks very impressive.

nazgulking
10-09-2011, 05:23 PM
hey those are amazing stories, and they lead me to some inspirations. is it fine if I like, write a sequel of the great war for you? It'll consists of the epic battles between the current guilds :wink:
Thanks for the support!
Writing for me? Come on, I haven't hired you yet, you should be free to write them on your on :D
On a serious note, Go ahead and write. If my works have given you some inspiration, then be my guest :)

P.S. Now that I think of that I've left the story of humans behind, besides the little introspection about Cydonia... hmmmm....

Spamm
10-12-2011, 11:18 PM
These story's were amazing! Completely changed my view of PL. Great job!

TheChairmaker
10-12-2011, 11:23 PM
P.S. Left some thanks to all the peeps that have left a comment here. Thank you guys :)
P.S.S. Chairmaker you will be the next to get a Thanks, unfortunately I have run out of reputation dispensing LOL
Thanks preemtively for thanking :) this could go on forever, couldn't it?

nazgulking
10-15-2011, 01:51 AM
Nah! I just thank once :)

BTW I have decided to make at least one BONUS story... Humans!

nazgulking
10-15-2011, 03:46 AM
Alterra is a beautiful place which is home to the Human race.

The human race is the first to have set step foot into the realm Alterra. At their time the animaloids were just non-intelligent beigns who were hunted for thier meat to satisfy Humans hunger.
The change came from where the first animaloid came: Bale the first king of the Elves.
They were, at first, suspicious about the first talking animal of their realm but, using his powers, Bale made them trust him after some time.

The Human society of men was divided into 5 kingdoms. Spades, Hearts, Diamonds, Clubs and Cydonia.

The kingdom of Spades was the more militaristically one. This kingdom established itself as a local power in the Humania Island. During the centuries, Spades's reputation as a land-fighting force was unequaled. The king of Spades position was hereditary, passed from parent to son, and its kingship was a kind of unlimited and perpetual generalship.
To gain the status of citizen of the kingdom of Spades one have to undertake its education process - which begin at the age of six - but, at the same time, to take this path must have been born in the kingdom of Spades itself, with few exceptions. The kingdom of Spades was above all a militarist state, and emphasis on military fitness began virtually at birth. So there was no room for the weak, who are banned by the city at birth when found. From this training the Spades kingdom was the strongest of all the human reigns.

The Kingdom of Hearts was the most devoted to the diplomatic branches. They always tried to solve their issues through diplomatic means. After an incident, unknown to the people outside this kingdom, this realm have had just a Queen to rule them all, while its king have been banned. Rumors say that he turned mad and became the head of one of the biggest gangs of mercenaries of the known world.
They have always had a good attitude at trading as well, but not as good as the people of the kingdom of Diamonds, but this is not where they excel. The first recorded works in the Alterra literary tradition are the poems of Remoh and Doiseh from here.The Kingdom of Hearts is also judged the birthplace of theatre, where was invented the "drama". Heartesans are often attributed with developing the modern study of history into a field worthy of philosophical, literary, and scientific pursuit. It is here that the concept of School and Education was given birth. This gave them the reputation of having the best cultered people of all human races

The Kingdom of Diamonds was the greatest trader of the five. They were the best of their time and owed much of their prosperity to trade. At first they traded only with the kingdom of Hearts. As trading and colonizing spread over the Alterran seas, Diamondands and Heartesans seemed to have unconsciously split that sea in two: the Diamondands sailed along and eventually dominating the eastern shore, while the Heartesans were active along the western shores. The two cultures clashed rarely, which eventually settled into two spheres of influence. Brilliant textiles were a part of Diamondands wealth - which still now are used -, and Diamondands glass was another export ware. During their sales they stumbled upon what they have called the Fnord realm. They say that it was a mirror realm to the one of Alterra. At the center of it there was a big black tower, which rumors says lead to another plane. The Elves have already understood that this world is divided into 4 planes: Cosmos, the one where Alterra is, Rift, where the "Ancients" come from, Void, where the "Void" is imprisoned, and the plane of the Great Beigns, which is a gateway to all other planes. The best mages of the Elves suppose that the tower found in the Fnord lands can connect to the plane of The Great Beigns, leaving a second entry for the "Void". This gave them the reputation of the "explorer" and "traders" among all of the human races

The kingdom of the clubs is the most misterious one, since it is populated only by magicians. No one have ever entered their realm and come back in one piece in order to tell what he saw. This gave them the reputation of the best magic-manipulators of all the human races.

From Bale they discovered the Elves, then the Avians and finally the Ursans. Somehow they felt uneasy about these discoveries and thought that their realm was somewhat invaded and declared war on all the animaloids of Alterra. This war was an harsh one, with a clear advantage of the animaloids at least for their greater numbers than those of the Humans.
The king of Spades was the one who actually made the Humans declare war on the animaloids. After years and years of suffering the Queen of Hearts made a treaty with the animaloids in order to cease the sorrow for the human people.
When the Great War came all the Kings and Queens of Human race became mad, due to the influence of the "Void", and left the human race in disarray. The only sane leader left was the king of Cydonia who helped the animaloids in the great clash against the dark entity. From the end of the war and sacrifice of the Knights, all humans are welcome in the animaloids reigns.
Unfortunately humans are still suspicious at them and only the Cydonians have their kingdom set in the Alterra mainland, where the rest of humans came back to their Island.
From that time forward, the Humans of the Island of Humania have never spoke to the animaloids of the mainland, but word is spreading of great problems are occuring there and many thinks that soon or after they will be heard of again.

Necrobane
10-15-2011, 03:52 AM
Absolutely LOVE it. Looks like your hard work paid off :)

nazgulking
10-15-2011, 04:35 AM
Thanks for the support :) What do you with that "paid off"? I'm a bit slow this morning :P

NoobianOfAlterra
10-15-2011, 03:05 PM
Hey naz I've started the sequel to it http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?39807-The-Second-Great-War :) , it will be epic :D

nazgulking
10-15-2011, 03:30 PM
Well done Noobian :)
I am glad that my works are giving you some ideas. If you want some advices I can help you :)

I have at least one more story to write :)

nazgulking
10-15-2011, 04:21 PM
Alterra is a beautiful place which is home to the Skeleton cult.

Everyone old enough to remeber the Great War know that the undead are a plague that sprung from the portal that connected Cosmos and Void. From the time when the portal was sealed by the sacrifice of Bale, the undeads are spreading, since they still retain the dark powers of their master. One single zombie, within a graveyard, can decuplicate the forces of the undead in one night. Unfortunately not all the people of Alterra see those "things" as plague of the current times.

There is a cult whose followers come from all the species of Alterra. They worship, so they say, the "Great One" who lived ages before there were any men or animaloids and formed a cult which had never died from that day. Hidden in distant wastes and dark places all over the world until the time when the great Saunaz, from his dark tower in the Void under the waters of time and space, should rise and bring the realm of Alterra again beneath his sway. Some day He would call, when the time was nigh, and the secret cult would always be waiting to liberate him.
The skeleton cult has survived through the centuries and is arguably the most effective at recruiting new members. While Saunaz awaits in the Void, his cult actively pursues its agenda in his name. The cult's behind-the-scenes activities play a major role in Alterra stories, and through them the "Void" can continue to implicitly exert His influence.

Very few people remained alive after meeting one of these cultists.
Some of them said that they hold their ceremonies in the deep woods near Vyilwood. Their rites supposedly include entering a subterranean cavern and descending six thousand steps to a pit filled with hungry undeads.
In the depths of Vyilwood caverns they make Sabbaths which involves dark chantings and ballads. The most common song that can be heared is: "In his bed of Obsidian in the waves of the Void dead Saunaz waits slumbering."
The high priest of the cult is an elf. It seems that this powerful mage, called Silknight, is coordinating the operations of the cult.

The cult have found that the orbs of the forest of the Elves, the ones that were made by Bale, still retain elements of the Void and can be used to open what have been sealed. Two teams have been made.
One led by Silknight have failed, since the Alliance have found them and brought to justice.
Another team have sailed to the lands told by the traders of the kingdom of Diamonds, bringing one of the orbs with them. The black tower in the Fnords lands is the beacon that the cult is waiting to open to pave the way for their master.

"He waits for the stars to be right again, and what an age-old cult will fail to do by design, a band of innocent adventurers will do by accident. After Million of years great Saunaz will be on the loose again, and razing for delight." This is the Prophecy that the cult pass to its novices.

The hard times that Alterra is passing are all due to the influence of Saunaz which, even tough weakend in its cage, can still influence the gullible minds of the people of the Cosmos. He uses that black channel in a distant and unknown land to shape the events of this world. He will make the flags of Alterra to war against each other in order to create Chaos and give the final signal to open the gates in the Fnord land and let Him finish what he started, bringing His own dark paradise to this world.

Fnord is a dark place which is the new home to the Skeleton cult and where destiny of Alterra shall be decided.

nazgulking
10-15-2011, 04:23 PM
This is probably the last piece of story of Alterra.
Next will come, in a new thread, the Chronicles of Fnord - the Black temple in the wastes :)

stealthyman
10-15-2011, 04:44 PM
Dude get a publisher...