PDA

View Full Version : Destructible Environments

Navygreen
10-06-2011, 10:14 AM
Good morning,

So, does this seem like a cool idea or no? Sorry if it's been proposed before.

But wouldn't it be cool if some of the dungeons and the environment got destroyed when we're running through them tearing up the place? Like the fire pots and walls and just some of the props that are inside some of the dungeons and maps. I thought yesterday that it would be cool to see some kind of damage to some of these things. It would draw me in even further. :)

Or is this just another dumb idea I thought of? Go ahead. Be honest I can take it lol. :)

Cahaun
10-06-2011, 10:27 AM
I love this idea! :)

bronislav84
10-06-2011, 11:54 AM
Not bad. Make them respawn after a time though, or it could get kinda empty. Also only AOEs that don't choose a target to activate should destroy stuff, cause it would mess up auto targeting single target attacks if every piece of hunk could be attacked.

Navygreen
10-06-2011, 12:02 PM
Not bad. Make them respawn after a time though, or it could get kinda empty. Also only AOEs that don't choose a target to activate should destroy stuff, cause it would mess up auto targeting single target attacks if every piece of hunk could be attacked.

Very true!

Thanks guys :)

Leli
10-08-2011, 09:15 PM
not bad idea! :)

Gluttony
10-08-2011, 09:26 PM
With the way that the code is now, I would personally not like to see this implemented. Simply because everything is targetable, I dislike it in SL and if the items were added here it would be the same issue all over again. Fire traps were once able to be attacked (not destroyed, that would have been a nice twist), and it cause nothing but trouble really. Since there is no way to tweak the auto-target system if there was a mob attacking me an my toon decided to target the random destroyable item, while I mash the screen trying to redirect his random arrow fire and die, well a few of those and I'm going to get quite frustrated.

I don't completely hate the idea, just think that other things need to be put in place before this idea should surface. One of those things I'd like to see is a programmable targeting system. There are only 3 types of enemies in the game (melee, ranged, magic) so being able to choose who I auto-target within range consistently would be a nice touch imo. It could be accomplished with as simple target A, B or C when in range first type option.

Oh yeah, back to your idea. If the code goes back to how it was and treasure chests, NPCs and various other objects stop having health bars float above head for no apparent reason. Along with these new type of destroyable items require targeting rather than being able to be auto targeted and self destructing on my teammates (the random soda machines in SL's Cycorp Industries maps comes to mind), then I'd be on board. We would have to consider the amount of data that would take up just for a slight visual upgrade.

Roc
10-08-2011, 09:29 PM
Interesting indeed :watermelon:, especially if implemented with the combos/mega-combos: falling coffin causes lasting aftereffects, maybe a hole in the level being formed?

ThePvpTwink
10-08-2011, 09:31 PM
Nice idea! :beguiled:

Navygreen
10-09-2011, 09:25 AM
Thanks gluttony that makes perfect sense. Not too sure why some things have health bars lol. I imagine this would be a huge change to the game. Just thought it would be kinda cool. I havent played SL enough to really understand the issues. Thanks though for your thoughts :D

@ Roc - that would be awesome! haha :)