PDA

View Full Version : How we address change in Pocket Legends

Justg
04-14-2010, 03:11 PM
There are three main ways for us to augment the game:

1) Server Code Changes: These are things that we can change server-side. A recent example is when we changed the need for a player to be within a certain range of a mob in order to gain XP to (quickly) address "leechers". This can happen immediately but requires a server bounce.

2) Data Updates: We can push new data without modifying the code, which gives us tremendous flexibility. Examples include additional dungeons, mob difficulty, and UI enhancements like an offline indicator for friends (whch you will see with today's push). This can happen immediately but requires a server bounce. When players log in, the client will patch download the new data automatically.

NOTE: All campaigns, items, etc. available through in in-app purchase will require an approval from Apple.

3) Client Updates: Fundamental game changes usually require client code, which necessitates a new client. Examples of these types of things are the upcoming trade, and larger systems like PvP, guilds, etc. These types of changes require the application go through the approval process at Apple again, which introduces an unknown element with regards to timing.

On a daily basis we comb through issues that folks are having with the game and try to immediately address them either server-side or via data. Bugs are usually taken care of in this fashion as well. We look for ways to augment the game (like some bonus dungeons that are coming down the pipe) that we can do in data.

Larger systems take longer because they require more design and code, and must pass through the App Store before being made available for the players. These Client pushes will happen on a regular basis but not nearly as frequently as our server or data pushes.

I hope this helps explain why we address things in the way that we do, and why some things take longer than others.

Thanks for playing Pocket Legends, and see you in-game!

- g

Xervitude
04-14-2010, 03:15 PM
Informative thanks :)

Thanks as well to the whole team for doing a fantastic job.

_ck
04-14-2010, 04:15 PM
Yes, I think it's great to know you guys listen to us, and work your butts off to implement the things that are being requested.

Do you guys ever have any time left over to actually play the game? ;)

setec
04-14-2010, 04:25 PM
It is amazing how player suggestions on the forum are considered and become reality rather quickly. Great job.

_ck
04-14-2010, 05:13 PM
Yes, it's definitely feels good to be playing a game where you know the developer is listening to suggestions on how to make it better, and even better works so hard and fast to implement them. :)

nerdherd
04-14-2010, 05:31 PM
Very interesting post. Thanks for educating us on how this works. Keep up the great work! You guys rock!

Banned
04-14-2010, 05:55 PM
I have to say that you guys are my top favorite studio next Bungie. You actually listen to your fanbase and take on suggestions. Great job guys!

Buvet
04-14-2010, 08:21 PM
Agreed. I will definitely continue to support and play pocket legends, mostly because of the amazing player/developer communication that I've seen. It's the best I've ever seen.

KingFu
01-08-2011, 09:25 PM
First thread made by G that isn't locked ftw!

mrpredalien
01-09-2011, 11:26 AM
Oh god "sigh" who dug this up??

Edit: Lol it was you Mysticaldream.