PDA

View Full Version : Am I being anti-social by turning down spam friend requests?

IBNobody
10-07-2011, 09:44 PM
I am the type of player who never accepts friend responses from total strangers. At first I thought this to be annoying. Friend request spamming was on the same level as guild request spamming. Now, though, I wonder. Am I shooting myself in the foot?

Do most people spam friend invites?

What is the purpose of these friend spams?

Do people use these casual friend lists to invite others into hosted games?

blahggart
10-07-2011, 09:46 PM
basically it is so if u r a high level and they are low, if u go to a low level area they will join for easy exp. or they are just bored and and want to make new friends. (i do both)

Ayc2000
10-07-2011, 09:46 PM
Hmm, most of them are probably from wanting to be a friend of a SG, but maybe some of them are people who have run with you or is from this forum. I agree that friend spamming is annoying. I usually add the ones who I've run with and I like their play style, some forum buddies, and some people I've heard of to be nice.

blahggart
10-07-2011, 09:48 PM
Hmm, most of them are probably from wanting to be a friend of a SG, but maybe some of them are people who have run with you or is from this forum. I agree that friend spamming is annoying. I usually add the ones who I've run with and I like their play style, some forum buddies, and some people I've heard of to be nice.

i agree... i do the same. i add random people, but i end up having a lot in common with them.

Silentarrow
10-07-2011, 09:49 PM
1. I don't know if most people do, but I remember I once had about 20 pages of friend requests on PL :).
2. Some people just like having a big friends list, some people use it so they can easily find games/invite people.
3. I think so... :D

ezarf
10-07-2011, 09:52 PM
I get spam friends invites a lot also,is very annoying ,wouldn't mind it so much if they would say hi first maybe talk some. I don't mind helping but I don't like the random ppl invites

thewolf
10-07-2011, 10:33 PM
ya spam alot

CanonicalKoi
10-07-2011, 10:53 PM
I'd prefer to run with someone before they send a request, but as long as they don't immediately follow the request with, "Can I have stuff/credits/your firstborn" or "power-level me!", I don't mind the spammed ones. I only send them if it's someone I know from here or at the end of a run if I liked how they played.

WhoIsThis
10-07-2011, 11:53 PM
No. I wouldn't worry about it. There's too many friend requests these days.

pigeon
10-08-2011, 12:18 AM
I turn them down or sometimes end up ignoring the pending f/r list completely.

I used to accept all of them, but being spam invited to games by them later, while already in a game was just too much for me... this had to stop and they had to go.

THE Tesla
10-08-2011, 12:45 AM
I turn them down or sometimes end up ignoring the pending f/r list completely.

I used to accept all of them, but being spam invited to games by them later, while already in a game was just too much for me... this had to stop and they had to go.

Ditto to everything

But I will also add them, or consider adding them, if they begin a conversation first. A simple hello goes a long way :)

thequickone
10-08-2011, 03:13 AM
I used to accept just about every friend request. Ultimately, that left me with a list full of players that are either not on often/at all, are at largely differing level from me, or just have different play-styles. I'm far more selective now.

Like others here, I generally do not accept a request unless it came from someone I know from here or an alt, had a good run with, or had a good conversation with.

I find that I send friend requests even less than I accept them.

All of the above may leave you with a smaller list of friends, but that list should also be higher quality! :D

BodMaster
10-08-2011, 06:41 AM
1. Yes, I believe nearly all lower level players spam invites (unless they have played PL or just experienced in these games in general.

2. To be able to spam join invites, most never speak or even say hi

3. Yes, I have so many join invites sent to me followed by a PM asking why I haven't joined (randomers) if they ask nicely or need help with a boss etc then I will join, however if this is just to power level im more than likely to ignore esp when I join and they don't say a word through that instance.. end up leaving straight after.. then getting more join invites followed by spam PMs. (Very annoying)

In all honesty if a player comes up to me starts chatting and we have a lot in common I will add no matter what level. If i do a full run with someone that I can see has potential and got that thinking head on I will add or accept (only after the run or chat while running not on straight after they F/R me. Another that im happy to add is if I see a name im familiar with on the forums and we posted on the same threads etc.

On Bod last week I had 250-300 f/r I usually go through these and pick out the ones I recognize until recently I done the unimaginable! Pressed accept all!!! It took over 5+ mins to complete all of them where I just had to leave my phone and wait patiently for it to reach Z.. after it all I thought wooop finally just about to go do my thing and then I get bombarded by PMs and Join intvites.. then more PMs asking me to join.. or why haven't I joined (worst experience on here ever) I immediately after say 5mins went on my Alt so that I didn't keep getting bugged.

So I guess there are bad points and good points.. im usually the optimist but in this case personally I believe that the Con's out weigh the Pro's.

Also im in agreement with someone above stating that you are a SG so if they know your name they will be adding you though it seems to come with the territory.. only one player I know that adds every single invite and that is Ghost (before he was SG) unsure if he still does but my guess would be he does.

Hope this helped, people may have a different view on this but this is my personal opinion from experience.

IBNobody
10-08-2011, 10:04 AM
Hmm... So it doesn't sound like I'm missing much...

I have a strategy...

I think that from now on, I will begin to accept random friend invites only from Engineers that are roughly my level. I will only do this on my op or comm and not on my own Engineer.

This way, if I use the game's matchmaking service, I will have a better chance of being paired with a "Random Engineer Friend ", or REF.

If said REF does not understand what that little "Empathy" icon is for, they get de-REFfed.

We'll see how this social experiment goes.

----------

As far as being Star Guard... I honestly can say that I get the same amount of friend invite spam. (I get more many many more PM's, though. You'd be surprised at the number of players who don't know about these forums.)

CanonicalKoi
10-08-2011, 10:10 AM
As far as being Star Guard... I honestly can say that I get the same amount of friend invite spam. (I get more many many more PM's, though. You'd be surprised at the number of players who don't know about these forums.)

Noooooo....I wouldn't say that I'm surprised by that..... ;) I would love to have a PM pre-set for that, though. :D

starsavior
10-08-2011, 10:38 AM
I just accept them all because of the constant, " why you not accept my request", so my friends list is full of inactive level ones. Pretty soon I'm going to do some cleaning out on my list because I only have about 50 or so that actually do play.

Ayc2000
10-08-2011, 10:54 AM
Noooooo....I wouldn't say that I'm surprised by that..... ;) I would love to have a PM pre-set for that, though. :D
For your quick chat slot, you could have a /r (insert comment here) :)

BodMaster
10-08-2011, 11:17 AM
Hmm... So it doesn't sound like I'm missing much...

I have a strategy...

I think that from now on, I will begin to accept random friend invites only from Engineers that are roughly my level. I will only do this on my op or comm and not on my own Engineer.

This way, if I use the game's matchmaking service, I will have a better chance of being paired with a "Random Engineer Friend ", or REF.

If said REF does not understand what that little "Empathy" icon is for, they get de-REFfed.

We'll see how this social experiment goes.

----------

Inform us of how that goes for you :)

Agree with that last part tho.. so many that don't know about the forums and when you mention new content they usually are so confused that you know so much! Hehe

CanonicalKoi
10-08-2011, 11:41 AM
For your quick chat slot, you could have a /r (insert comment here) :)

Good idea! Hmmm.....how much can I fit in there? I'm kinda chatty (don't say it, Bod!!!).

BodMaster
10-08-2011, 11:47 AM
Good idea! Hmmm.....how much can I fit in there? I'm kinda chatty (don't say it, Bod!!!).

Haha! What would I possibly say??? :p

Only 4 :p and a character limit.. can't remem how many tho.. will edit when I find out :p

Just tested 80 characters :)

Kahlua
10-08-2011, 12:41 PM
People don't all use friends to "make friends."
I'm assuming people use them to find games to join with people who are higher lvled, aka friending all the 30s you see so when you join a game, you know there's atleast 1 30 in it.

Rawrimafish
10-08-2011, 03:22 PM
I got a freind request spam today too

bronislav84
10-08-2011, 03:28 PM
I never accept spam friend requests either. I don't think this is antisocial. Would you come up to a total stranger IRL, hug them, and ask them for their adress/phone? No, you wouldn't, and this is like doing the same thing. I prefer to run with them once, or have a conversation to get to know the person.

Kahlua
10-08-2011, 03:37 PM
I never accept spam friend requests either. I don't think this is antisocial. Would you come up to a total stranger IRL, hug them, and ask them for their adress/phone? No, you wouldn't, and this is like doing the same thing. I prefer to run with them once, or have a conversation to get to know the person.

I'd say it's more along the lines of asking for their phone number lol

IBNobody
10-08-2011, 10:10 PM
Inform us of how that goes for you :)

Mixed results so far...

I was placed in a game with a REF, and it went okay. I made sure I said "Hi" to him. (We can't go ostracizing ourselves from REFs, or that would invalidate the study!)

On the other hand...

I had one REF invite me to Honeycomb Hideout to hack a terminal. He then asked me the obligatory SG question, and I gave him my obligatory SG answer. Finally, he tried to beg 2k off me. I found that humorous because he was a lv30 in Atomite, and I was a lv 25 in lv15 platinum character gear.

javier995
10-08-2011, 10:28 PM
i accept most requests,but deny the ones that ask me for money first. Like the following pm is the one u get the most "You look awesome! can i have 10k so i can make a guild?", my reply is "ty^_^ and no just join one of the big guilds buddy:D" then most tell me off. lol but hey what can you do they're low lvls(most likely first char otherwise they wouldn't beg for crd) they don't know not to cuss out pple in game. i just say watch ur language cya!^_^ and leave lol

Cahaun
10-08-2011, 11:22 PM
This is what guild halls are for...

asommers
10-08-2011, 11:24 PM
There will soon (ahem) be an option to reject incoming friend requests.

-ALS

Otukura
10-08-2011, 11:28 PM

-ALS
!!!

javier995
10-08-2011, 11:44 PM
awesome!!!!

csb
10-08-2011, 11:49 PM

Hurray!

My farmer characters have empty friend lists because I don't know a nice way to answer the question "What's the password?"

Zeus
10-08-2011, 11:59 PM

-ALS

Yay! *bows down* Asommers, have you solved the problem of going grey by trying to please people? I think with this patch you succeeded. :)

Yareli
10-09-2011, 12:01 AM

-ALS

woot new features :)

SpaceCowGirl
10-09-2011, 12:05 PM

-ALS

:love_heart::encouragement::D

<3<3<3<3<3

yessssss!!! what about a reject option for guild invite spams? lol..

hurm but, i dont want to "ignore" all friend requests...
i just wish there was a reject ALL button, like the accept ALL button.. that'd be nice xP

----------------------

oh, and no.. that's not being antisocial.. i consider myself pretty social.. but my friends list is very, very small..
my pet peeve is random requests. if you've at least spoken to me and i can remember your ign or we had a few good laughs or runs together, i usually will add you. but if u've never even bothered to say "hello" or i've never even seen how u play (like when i join a random game) and i instantly get spammed with friend requests.. i will usually be quick to reject all and leave game. i have had a few repeat request spammers. yet, still no "hello" from them. smh.

:P

BodMaster
10-09-2011, 01:29 PM
Mixed results so far...

I was placed in a game with a REF, and it went okay. I made sure I said "Hi" to him. (We can't go ostracizing ourselves from REFs, or that would invalidate the study!)

On the other hand...

I had one REF invite me to Honeycomb Hideout to hack a terminal. He then asked me the obligatory SG question, and I gave him my obligatory SG answer. Finally, he tried to beg 2k off me. I found that humorous because he was a lv30 in Atomite, and I was a lv 25 in lv15 platinum character gear.

ROFL!! You made my day with this post!! Haha some people do make you laugh.. the first part went okay.. then second not so much.. and the level 30 asking you for cred is hilarious!

-ALS

Woooop! You rock Asommers! Thanks for the heads up :)