PDA

View Full Version : Someone PLEASE explain Mage Pallys

Spekticle
10-08-2011, 02:07 AM
Not trying to hate on people who are. I think Mage Pallys look very cool. But what is the point of a Mage Pally?

From what I've seen is they have high armor, low AoE, low Dmg, low Dps, and the same basic ~500 health. So the only useful purpose I see is basically as a Armored Healing Tank that has no fire power.

This does not sound like a very good class set up to me.

Now before you post please consider that I am not trying to put Mage Pallys down, please try and convince me why you are one and actually back up what you are saying.

-Skeptic

bottleo
10-08-2011, 02:10 AM
My pallys got 320dps 170armour 26 n24. Regen 30 crit 570 hp n 57k kills to 678 deaths (dungeons not pvp) u tell me thats pretty sweet ratio if u ask me

Orcish
10-08-2011, 02:52 AM
I use a pally as support until I reach a boss then I switch to a dexenchantress for the extra dps, works rather well.

Arterra
10-08-2011, 03:26 AM
yea whole point of the pally is to be in the vanguard, dishing out aggro/aoe damage as much as possible before the heavy hitter arrive, and be in range of the other tanks/rushers of the party to heal and rev nicely.

i dont know how much the new sets impact it being inactive and all, but all the way to lv50/55 it is a awesome role that deserves respect for keeping the party alive in the most dire of situations. consider it a last chance card. cannot tell you how aweosme it is to be the last one standing in a miscalculated rush/boss (like overlord crit-fest and shadow caves in general), and rev the hell out of it. they will not forget you.

Spekticle
10-08-2011, 07:29 AM
yea whole point of the pally is to be in the vanguard, dishing out aggro/aoe damage as much as possible before the heavy hitter arrive, and be in range of the other tanks/rushers of the party to heal and rev nicely.

i dont know how much the new sets impact it being inactive and all, but all the way to lv50/55 it is a awesome role that deserves respect for keeping the party alive in the most dire of situations. consider it a last chance card. cannot tell you how aweosme it is to be the last one standing in a miscalculated rush/boss (like overlord crit-fest and shadow caves in general), and rev the hell out of it. they will not forget you.

Ok thank you for actually explaining!

OK but right now I am lvl 60 Pure Int. But if I was to make the switch should I do it only if I can afford full Charmin for Str? And do all my stats go on Str? Or is it split 50 50?

Lordchewbacca
10-08-2011, 08:09 AM
I think you are mistaken..u say pallys have low dps and crit? When i buff my crit goes to over 100

13lacklegionz
10-08-2011, 08:12 AM

Ok thank you for actually explaining!

OK but right now I am lvl 60 Pure Int. But if I was to make the switch should I do it only if I can afford full Charmin for Str? And do all my stats go on Str? Or is it split 50 50?

The strongmans set for mage in pvp is REALLY good (Big top is good too, but for some reason I think it's worse on a mage or bird; I'm a bear).

The stats should be, in my opinion, dual spec between str and int to have some skill power while being able to tank. Or a dual spec between dex and str, if you want to be able to play dex too. Just don't go full str.

blox
10-08-2011, 08:17 AM
pallys has high damage
swords like iceberg frozen longsword gives incredible damage and if u equip to a mage its skill damage will be extremely high

Spekticle
10-08-2011, 08:19 AM
The strongmans set for mage in pvp is REALLY good (Big top is good too, but for some reason I think it's worse on a mage or bird; I'm a bear).

The stats should be, in my opinion, dual spec between str and int to have some skill power while being able to tank. Or a dual spec between dex and str, if you want to be able to play dex too. Just don't go full str.

Thanks for the explanation!

RedRyder
10-08-2011, 08:38 AM
Pally's are painfully slow, idc what anyone else says. You don't need a pally build for high armor with the glyph sets. I only use a 58 set at level 60 and I stand pretty well on runs. I was a pally from ao2-the beginning of sewers then ditched to pure when I saw how useless and slow I was (don't say it's about skill, because it was slow. At the time I couldnt affor fortified) sure I had "high armor" but everything was just... Slow. You may appear to have high damage, but your attacks will be misses most of the time (notice how all the pally's on this thread boasting about stats never mention their hit%) it's like having control of a transformer.. Blindfolded. The most optimal build in my eyes, so I speak for myself, is with dex and int.

Here's my input/build from another thread base on mages survivability in nuri's. :

Just to show, with the right equipment and build, a Mage can have enough armor to not get 1hit KO'd (in my case at least)

Sharing is caring :)

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m279/MADNIGGA2K5/2b02b370.jpg

Equipment:

Lv 58 wand charmin' set
Founders helmet
9armor dex ring.

Base stats:
Str - 15
Dex - 150
Int - 140

That grants, as you can see in the pic, 170 armor with no buffs (about 244 with all buffs including mana shield) at level 60. That should all increase your survivability with no lix's :)

As you can see, I'm good without a pally build. I use the charmin set exclusively (until I can afford obedience) and I'm just fine. I fit in well with my guilds pwn express runs (super fast runs, usually with just birds and mages) without the "high damage, crit, dps" of pally builds

Xazic
10-08-2011, 09:12 AM
Well i think you are mistaken... Pallys (or pallies, not sure which is right) are very helpful in CTF as they can take the dmg and heal & REV... Great class for team sportz!

RedRyder
10-08-2011, 09:41 AM
Well i think you are mistaken... Pallys (or pallies, not sure which is right) are very helpful in CTF as they can take the dmg and heal & REV... Great class for team sportz!

what about out of pvp?

Spekticle
10-08-2011, 04:08 PM
what about out of pvp?

This is what I am talking about. Out of pvp

Gam546
10-08-2011, 04:13 PM
Some knows where is the thing when you forgot password and get a new one

Hankomachos
10-08-2011, 04:32 PM
Imo, pure int mages are best! They heal ridiculous amounts of health, do crazy damage and do their job best: support. Maybe pallys are OK in a pinch when a bear isn't present but overall; pures pwn! :D Just my opinion. :)

JaytB
10-08-2011, 05:34 PM
Outside of PvP pally's aren't very useful IMO. Only in a not all to great group, it can be a useful class to revive everyone in case of a whipeout. They are extremely hard to be killed. But that's about it IMO.

If you're running in a fairly good group, you should have no problem keeping a pure int alive. And whatever anyone here is telling you about dps and stuff, doesn't really matter. It's your skill dmg that matters. Pure int blows a pally out of the water in killing both mobs and bosses. With the new sets, you also get a decent amount of crit, which means that (while buffed) you'll have a 90 ish % crit, with the dmg of a pure Mage. Try and kill any nuri's boss with a bunch of pally's, it will take forever. pure INT does that way faster. And then I'm not even speaking about heal or hit%. All these things are why, strictly for PvE, and personally, I don't see much use for a pally.

So basically, as a pure int, you deal way more dmg, your heal is stronger and your spells hit more often. At the cost of that you might die a bit more. So, personally again, I think it boils down to what you really want. Do you want to kill things quick, and heal your teammates as good as possible, or do you just want to stay alive dealing moderate dmg and giving moderate heals to you party members.

RedRyder
10-08-2011, 06:00 PM
^^ that only seconds what I said about pally's being useless other than staying alive In pvp. Just as I said, they're painfully slow.

largecommand
10-08-2011, 06:10 PM
siigghh.... pallys at lvl 60 r considered leathel...if they catch u ur a goner...even the noobiest pally will easily kill a bird or mage.....the only problem is str vs str.....and 1v1..in ffa they will own... and its best to go str dex for pally,bear,and bird.

JaytB
10-08-2011, 06:23 PM
siigghh.... pallys at lvl 60 r considered leathel...if they catch u ur a goner...even the noobiest pally will easily kill a bird or mage.....the only problem is str vs str.....and 1v1..in ffa they will own... and its best to go str dex for pally,bear,and bird.

Read what the op said:

This is what I am talking about. Out of pvp

Zeus
10-08-2011, 06:30 PM

Paladins are not as overpowered as you make them out to be. It's up to players to find ways around them. Trust me, they are there.

Kaarataka
10-09-2011, 06:35 AM
Pally's are painfully slow, idc what anyone else says. You don't need a pally build for high armor with the glyph sets. I only use a 58 set at level 60 and I stand pretty well on runs. I was a pally from ao2-the beginning of sewers then ditched to pure when I saw how useless and slow I was (don't say it's about skill, because it was slow. At the time I couldnt affor fortified) sure I had "high armor" but everything was just... Slow. You may appear to have high damage, but your attacks will be misses most of the time (notice how all the pally's on this thread boasting about stats never mention their hit%) it's like having control of a transformer.. Blindfolded. The most optimal build in my eyes, so I speak for myself, is with dex and int.

Here's my input/build from another thread base on mages survivability in nuri's. :

As you can see, I'm good without a pally build. I use the charmin set exclusively (until I can afford obedience) and I'm just fine. I fit in well with my guilds pwn express runs (super fast runs, usually with just birds and mages) without the "high damage, crit, dps" of pally builds

You obviously haven't played as a dex str pallidin. My hit pct is very close to 100%. I'm also one of the top pvp/ctf mages out there. It all depends on the build and the know how. As for pve, yes pure int can beat anything since they have the highest overall dps if you count aoe damage.

RedRyder
10-09-2011, 06:48 AM
You obviously haven't played as a dex str pallidin. My hit pct is very close to 100%. I'm also one of the top pvp/ctf mages out there. It all depends on the build and the know how. As for pve, yes pure int can beat anything since they have the highest overall dps if you count aoe damage.

O that's nice, but we're talking purely pve here. And actually, I tried dex/str pally and it wasn't a great experience. I respec'd 5 mins later. Idc what anyone says, mages are all about skill damage. Of you're sacrificing int for just dex and str, your heals will do practically nothing, Your skills would have the same damage output as using your fists and no weapon on a boss, you'd just be overall useless as a support class.

That's just bad for pve man. Might as well just make a dex bear or str bird in that case.

Spekticle
10-09-2011, 08:42 AM
O that's nice, but we're talking purely pve here. And actually, I tried dex/str pally and it wasn't a great experience. I respec'd 5 mins later. Idc what anyone says, mages are all about skill damage. Of you're sacrificing int for just dex and str, your heals will do practically nothing, Your skills would have the same damage output as using your fists and no weapon on a boss, you'd just be overall useless as a support class.

That's just bad for pve man. Might as well just make a dex bear or str bird in that case.

:-P I tried making a Pally...lol I would prefer to use my fists. -Back to IntMage-