PDA

View Full Version : Dodge issues

flashbackflip
10-09-2011, 05:10 AM
My operative has 100% hit rate

Though some enemies still dodge my attacks

How that could be?? Is there any sain explanation?

Could you, Devs, fix it? Or tell why not

Fatpigwarrior
10-09-2011, 05:13 AM
Dodge points, they would effect it, hope this helped

JaytB
10-09-2011, 05:42 AM
It's probably like in PL. Dodge roll comes before hit roll. Or in other words, each enemy has a chance to dodge your attacks, independent of your hit% :)

flashbackflip
10-09-2011, 05:51 AM
It's probably like in PL. Dodge roll comes before hit roll. Or in other words, each enemy has a chance to dodge your attacks, independent of your hit% :)

Thanx, this helped to understand, though still has little sense for me.. If i'm a sharpshooter - im the sharpshooter or else hit% doesn't mean anything..

I suggest for Devs to reverse the algorythm - first my hit% counts and if it's 105% (i can achieve this with implant) then NOBODY can dodge... At least they shouldn't be able to dodge my gunshots..

Kahlua
10-09-2011, 06:24 AM
would have to agree that this system is kind of flawed. If someone has a chance of 100% to hit you...they should really hit you. Dodge should in my mind, decrease the damage you take if the person shooting you has 100% or higher hit. Yes you try to roll away, but you get nicked in the leg :D. If someone is "never supposed to miss" is fighting someone with 100 dodge (not possible...yet)...well then we'd have a grand old stand off.

If STS explained hit % as "your chance to hit a stationary target" then I'd be fine with this current system. But as of right now to my knowledge, no real explanation of dodge, hit, crit, etc. have been given to us.

Fac3bon3s
10-09-2011, 08:49 AM
I'm not sure if this info will help but I know from my time playing WoW. In dungeons and raids the mobs and bosses were always a level or two higher than you and your group.( In PL I'm not sure if we are even aware what level enemies are.) Making its chance to dodge higher and making your chance to hit less likely. If I was good with ratio's and math in general I would list some stats but alas this is all the info I can provide.

flashbackflip
10-09-2011, 11:34 AM
thank you for the support guys!

the version of higher-level bosses just can't work this way, Facebones.. if a boss is higher lvl, then the higher armor may apply and my damage could be as little as 1, but i shouldn't miss

an example is given in Numa Prime thread - when levels just came out, The Guardian was so agile (i assume high dodge level) that players couldn't hit him..

in fact, i would like one of the devs to clear the question: explain dodge/hit correlation and as a maximum - agree to change it.. lol..

you know, i became an Op 'coz they have twin guns and look like they never should miss;))

Gluttony
10-09-2011, 12:00 PM
Perhaps you guys are thinking of hit% the wrong way, it may not actually represent your accuracy but the amount of the hit you made. Using the example that a player may hit but not in a critical area or not even full on, what if it's more how well your shot hit the enemy. Maybe the shot glanced him due to his high dodge, maybe you put 100% effort into the blast (setting your photons to kill rather than stun) and missed completely. Think boxing, maybe I put 100% into a punch, but if that haymaker doesn't connect then it was just a wasted move. Using PL as a baseline, I know that it's possible to get the hit% well above 100 so the idea that it is the actual representation of how often your shots hit would make it a mathematical impossibility. Now if we think of the number meaning that your shot did 115% of what it was expected to do, then that's another story.

Also, dodge should most defiantly come before hit%, imo. I would always want my commando to have a shot to avoid damage completely and not just be reduced to taking -1 constantly simply because the enemy is a dex type. Remember this is a roll/luck based game the numbers are just representations to help ultimately you have to roll the dice and hope for that pink.

Lol edit: Shooting two guns simultaneously or even one then the other, should drastically reduce accuracy imo. Try it sometime if you ever have the opportunity.

JaytB
10-09-2011, 12:45 PM
I think physiologic explained it best a long time ago. This is PL related, but since both PL and SL basically use the same code, I'm confident to say it might apply here too.

When you check out the screenshot below, you'll see that dodge is just a separate roll. So basically any enemy has a chance to dodge, independent on your hit%. is it realistic? Is running in space, shooting walking flat screens realistic?

Here you go:

XI. Algorithm for a Successful or Failed Attack

When you attack an enemy, the game follows a specific algorithm that determines the outcome of the attack:
1. You will MISS the attack
2. The enemy will DODGE the attack
3. You will damage the enemy
4. You will critically damage the enemy

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v84/d1nonlik/algorithm.jpg

Hit% roll is based off of your hit%. There is a probable cap to this value (<100% despite your hit% value).
Enemy dodge % roll is an unknown variable for each enemy.
Crit% roll is based off of your crit. Unsure of a cap existence at the moment.
Critical damage = effective damage x2
Effective damage = damage - enemy armor

bronislav84
10-09-2011, 07:16 PM
Their dodge chance is subtracted from your hit chance. For example, to hit something with 20 dodge 100% of the time, you need 120% hit.

flashbackflip
10-10-2011, 12:27 AM
Thank you very much!

Now it seems completely clear and unrealistic! Especially this line: 'Hit% roll is based off of your hit%. There is a probable cap to this value (<100% despite your hit% value).'

Speaking of realism i must say that we have to divide design (which can be any) and physics/ligic/common sence (and the algorythm fails all three)

Unfortunately, i understand that Devs hardly change the algorythms to make them true and logical... At least i understand this flaw now. Thank u again

Kahlua
10-10-2011, 04:41 AM
ahhhh I never thought of hit % as the percentage you actually damage someone...like hit power. If it's meant to be a makeshift power meter, it shouldn't be labeled as hit % to be honest.

Singleteddy
10-10-2011, 02:18 PM
It's probably like in PL. Dodge roll comes before hit roll. Or in other words, each enemy has a chance to dodge your attacks, independent of your hit% :) Actually, the higher your hit%, the more you will see the enemy dodge. After all, the enemy can't dodge if you miss in the first place.

JaytB
10-10-2011, 02:21 PM
Actually, the higher your hit%, the more you will see the enemy dodge. After all, the enemy can't dodge if you miss in the first place.

Sorry, but that doesn't make sense O.o How would an enemy dodge MORE if your hit% is HIGHER?? (sorry for caps, can't bold text in tapatalk app).

And as explained in my other post in this thread, dodge is independent from hit%. If you miss due to hit%, you'll see 'missed' not 'dodged' :)

Singleteddy
10-10-2011, 02:56 PM
Sorry, but that doesn't make sense O.o How would an enemy dodge MORE if your hit% is HIGHER?? (sorry for caps, can't bold text in tapatalk app).

And as explained in my other post in this thread, dodge is independent from hit%. If you miss due to hit%, you'll see 'missed' not 'dodged' :) Dodge% is independent, but the number of times a dodge actually occurs is the product of your hit% and the opponent's dodge%. Examples: Your hit% is 100% and the opponent's dodge% is 10%. Then the opponent will dodge 10% of your attacks.
Your hit% is 50% and the opponent's dodge% is 10%. Then the opponent will dodge 10% of what would have been successful hits, meaning 5% of your attacks are dodged, and the other 45% land.
Your hit% is 0% due to debuffs and the opponent's dodge% is 10%. Then the opponent never dodges because you will never hit in the first place.

JaytB
10-10-2011, 03:34 PM
Dodge% is independent, but the number of times a dodge actually occurs is the product of your hit% and the opponent's dodge%. Examples: Your hit% is 100% and the opponent's dodge% is 10%. Then the opponent will dodge 10% of your attacks.
Your hit% is 50% and the opponent's dodge% is 10%. Then the opponent will dodge 10% of what would have been successful hits, meaning 5% of your attacks are dodged, and the other 45% land.
Your hit% is 0% due to debuffs and the opponent's dodge% is 10%. Then the opponent never dodges because you will never hit in the first place.

I agree. I misunderstood your initial post :)

flashbackflip
10-10-2011, 06:48 PM
Wow guys.. It seems pretty mashed up and uclear again.. Lol.. But i really like your versions - all are great!

Hope sone of the Devs will join and explain true mechanics!

JaytB
10-10-2011, 07:02 PM
Wow guys.. It seems pretty mashed up and uclear again.. Lol.. But i really like your versions - all are great!

Hope sone of the Devs will join and explain true mechanics!

True mechanics were in my second post. Devs never commented on game mechanics, so I think you're out of luck in that department :)

flashbackflip
10-10-2011, 10:00 PM
Yeah, i got them, thank u again) but as you can see - everybody has his own understanding.. Even after your clear-to-understand scheme.. Lol

So a word or two from devs could seal the discussion..

Btw, why you say they never comment?