PDA

View Full Version : When to choose crit over damage and vice versa.

Zeosar
10-09-2011, 03:29 PM
Let's say you are are level 20 dex avian. You want to buy yourself a nice ring, because you want to deal more damage. But What would be better? ring a with 2% crit and 10 damage or ring b 1% crit and 11 damage?

Your weapon has 50 damage.
Let's say you are going to hit your target 100 times, so with ring a you are going to crit twice and hit 98 normal attacks (not taking dodge or misses into account).

now times for some advanced math here :p

98 x 60 + 2 x 2 x 60 = 5880 + 240 = 6120

You will deal 240 crit damage and 5880 for a total of 6120 damage.

Now lets see what would happen if you were wearing b ring with only one crit and 99 normal attacks but with additional 1 damage.

99 x 61 + 2 x 61 = 6161

As you can see 1 damage is better then 1% crit but only to the point. When your damage extends 98, crit will be better then raw damage.

Conclusion: Pick damage over crit when you are using fast, low damage weapons like daggers. Pick crit over damage when you are using heavy high damage weapons like crossbow.

NoobianOfAlterra
10-09-2011, 03:37 PM
nice! the concept is well known but its great to see some precise numbers! +1 :)

Moogerfooger
10-09-2011, 03:42 PM
This also doesn't take into account enemy armor. Heavy high base damage weapons generally fare better than faster low base damage weapons because they actually do even more damage after subtracting enemy armor values.

You can't just say crit > damage or damage > crit, however. It depends on base damage of your weapon, how much armor your generic mobs have, how fast your weapon is, and do not forget different weapons have different skill damages (heavy weapons usually have higher skill damage).

For example, the crit of the Custom Recurve set is several higher than that of the Raid Roach set, but the overall damage against Sewer mobs (with about 120 armor) is about the same in the long run because the RR has better base damage.

Mageprodigy
10-09-2011, 03:54 PM
Thanks! But i prefer dodge over crit ;-)

NoobianOfAlterra
10-09-2011, 04:17 PM
btw, you should also take in to account skill dmg :o

Zeosar
10-10-2011, 07:52 AM
I don't fully understand the game yet. I will probably edit this thread later, taking into account other stuff. I hope that it was helpful for some of you though :p

Singleteddy
10-10-2011, 02:03 PM
At level 20 and for a long time after, damage bonuses will give more benefit than crit bonuses. Once you get to high levels, the equation will reverse and crit will be more valuable than damage (basically, once you are able to do a hundred damage after enemy armor). If you are buying for now, get the ring with more damage. If you are buying for the distant future, get the ring with crit.

Moogerfooger
10-10-2011, 02:16 PM
At level 20 and for a long time after, damage bonuses will give more benefit than crit bonuses. Once you get to high levels, the equation will reverse and crit will be more valuable than damage (basically, once you are able to do a hundred damage after enemy armor). If you are buying for now, get the ring with more damage. If you are buying for the distant future, get the ring with crit.

Not necessarily true, especially at lvl 50+ (I don't know about mid-levels as I am not an expert on the gear there). It depends on how much extra crit or damage you are talking about one weapon has over another, and how big the skill damage difference is between weapons. Like I said before, as an example a Custom Recurve Set has a decent crit advantage over Raid Roach Recurve set, but the Raid's extra base damage overcomes that and they do about the same damage in the long run even factoring in the Custom's slight skill damage advantage. It has been tested and calculated several times by different people.

In SL, damage has been proven to do more than crit, due to the armor mechanics being different in SL than in PL.

Swimmingstar
10-10-2011, 02:16 PM
Thanks! I will give you a thanks when the button comes back. :D

Singleteddy
10-10-2011, 03:01 PM
At level 20 and for a long time after, damage bonuses will give more benefit than crit bonuses. Once you get to high levels, the equation will reverse and crit will be more valuable than damage (basically, once you are able to do a hundred damage after enemy armor). If you are buying for now, get the ring with more damage. If you are buying for the distant future, get the ring with crit.Not necessarily true, especially at lvl 50+ (I don't know about mid-levels as I am not an expert on the gear there). I totally agree that crit is better at level 50, but my assumption here is that getting from level 20 to level 50 will take a while for most players. That's what I meant by the damage bonus being better for "long time" after level 20.

Moogerfooger
10-10-2011, 07:06 PM
I totally agree that crit is better at level 50, but my assumption here is that getting from level 20 to level 50 will take a while for most players. That's what I meant by the damage bonus being better for "long time" after level 20.

Gotcha, it is a ways from 20 to 50ish. But I am still disagreeing with your statement that 'crit is better at level 50 (or higher)'. It depends on a lot of things, not just crit. Skill damage, base damage, crit all play a factor in total damage output (and hit, more for warriors/mages as most birdy/dex sets are 100+ hit). Make sense?

Singleteddy
10-10-2011, 07:52 PM
Gotcha, it is a ways from 20 to 50ish. But I am still disagreeing with your statement that 'crit is better at level 50 (or higher)'. It depends on a lot of things, not just crit. Skill damage, base damage, crit all play a factor in total damage output (and hit, more for warriors/mages as most birdy/dex sets are 100+ hit). Make sense? Yup. Agreed.

Aneheazatek
10-10-2011, 08:42 PM
So in short , let say a bird @ lv 60 should get a damg ring or crit ring? assuming you are using either demonic or glyph autobow set. Would it be different from a non set equip?

Zeosar
10-11-2011, 09:17 AM
So in short , let say a bird @ lv 60 should get a damg ring or crit ring? assuming you are using either demonic or glyph autobow set. Would it be different from a non set equip?

I am assuming that everyone at level 60 has way over 98 damage, so it is better to get 1% crit over 1 damage. The 1 damage is equal to 1% crit at about 97-98 damage. After that crit is more efficient.