PDA

View Full Version : Since when is the word Guardian synonymous with Repo Man?

Zeus
10-09-2011, 06:43 PM
MAN. I'm probably going to make an utter fool of myself when writing this thread, but a message needs to be announced, so, so be it!

I found in game lately, when people get scammed, the first thing they do is come to a Guardian and think they can get their stuff back for them. I can't tell you how many times people have come up and been like, I got scammed by so and so. Can you get my stuff back for me? It feels dirty in a way to waltz there and "force" them to give it back.

While the first few times, I acknowledged the requests and tried, but now people randomly just find me in game and ask. Last I checked, Guardians weren't even supposed to handle this stuff, as they are not moderators. I don't know where that rumor started.

Frankly, I'm getting quite frustrated with it, having to log on in game and spend my limited time towards 61 on this.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for helping the community. I love helping the community, but shouldn't stuff like this better be brought to the attention of support?

Thoughts? Opinions? Flame-Free Posts? Post below!

Ayc2000
10-09-2011, 06:44 PM
There isn't anything they could do to stop them though...

Zeus
10-09-2011, 06:46 PM
There isn't anything they could do to stop them though...

That is my point exactly. Other than becoming a drone and pulling quotes from the TOS, what am I going to do? Pull you over and write you a "ticket"?

Ayc2000
10-09-2011, 06:48 PM
Lol. How would sts stop them though? They will still come to guardians no matter what, there isn't a way to mute them

Otukura
10-09-2011, 06:49 PM
That is my point exactly. Other than becoming a drone and pulling quotes from the TOS, what am I going to do? Pull you over and write you a "ticket"?

Make your mule a secret, and no one bugs you. The place where I'm most tied down with this stuff is Balefort, and I don't spend too much time there on my main now.

Gluttony
10-09-2011, 06:50 PM
I had a thought and opinion, but there were not flame free so nvm.

I kid, many players are not on forums so they really have no clue how the GoA came to "power" and therefore they have an unjust sense of what they can do. When you see a player that has been granted access to an item that very few will attain, it makes you think that they were granted a bit of mod status right? Idk, that's the assumption I think many are making.

RedRyder
10-09-2011, 06:51 PM
I gotz scammed!'nnmm!!!! Apoollo get my stuff bak pl0x?1

I never dealt with this, just a mountain of trade/friend requests and begging.

Zeus
10-09-2011, 06:51 PM
Inhad a thought and opinion, but there were not flame free so nvm.

I kid, many players are not on forums so they really have no clue how the GoA came to "power" and therefore they have an unjust sense of what the can do. When you see a player that has been granted access to an item that very few will attain, it makes you think that they were granted a bit of mod status right? Idk, that's the assumption I think many are making.

Gluttony with the most logical answer, as usual. I thank thee!

Trollee
10-09-2011, 06:57 PM
"With great power comes great responsibility" - Spiderman :p

I have to be honest here, I think that there are responsibilities and duties that come with being a GoA. You were chosen because you were great helpers and contributors to the community, and I know while there is technically nothing you can do to help players who get scammed I think it should be within a GoA's duties to guide them in the right direction to (hopefully) fixing their problem. I believe that as you were chosen because of your contribution and support to the community, there is no reason why you should no longer help and contribute after becoming a GoA.

I understand it must be frustrating having players constantly coming up to you asking for help and support and I beleove t is your duty to give them a helping hand; in 99% of cares the autoreply is necessary, email support. :p

Darkfader
10-09-2011, 06:58 PM
Cheers Apollo, happened to me 5min ago.
Or not sure was it part of big troll or serious account hijack.

Otukura
10-09-2011, 06:59 PM
I know while there is technically nothing you can do to help players who get scammed I think it should be within a GoA's duties to guide them in the right direction to (hopefully) fixing their problem

I don't really think a GoA should have duties. As Sam said, it's like a reward, not a here, now go do this type of thing. Helping because you want to is one thing, feeling as though you have to is another.

Conradin
10-09-2011, 07:02 PM
The shield and title are just a thank you. We do not have to help anyone by any means. We just do it out of the good of our hearts.

Ayc2000
10-09-2011, 07:02 PM

I have to be honest here, I think that there are responsibilities and duties that come with being a GoA. You were chosen because you were great helpers and contributors to the community, and I know while there is technically nothing you can do to help players who get scammed I think it should be within a GoA's duties to guide them in the right direction to (hopefully) fixing their problem. I believe that as you were chosen because of your contribution and support to the community, there is no reason why you should no longer help and contribute after becoming a GoA.

I understand it must be frustrating having players constantly coming up to you asking for help and support and I beleove t is your duty to give them a helping hand; in 99% of cares the autoreply is necessary, email support. :p
It's more an honor, not job, but yes, there are some things they "should" do, but it gets tedious after replying over and over.

Whirlzap
10-09-2011, 07:06 PM
I had a thought and opinion, but there were not flame free so nvm.

I kid, many players are not on forums so they really have no clue how the GoA came to "power" and therefore they have an unjust sense of what they can do. When you see a player that has been granted access to an item that very few will attain, it makes you think that they were granted a bit of mod status right? Idk, that's the assumption I think many are making.

I honestly think you should be a GOA.
I mean almost ALL your posts are helpful and such.
I don't know why they haven't appointed you yet, but yes, I say you should be a GOA.

Anyways, on topic, I don't have much to say.
This thread, I don't see any reason for it.
No offense, but here's my thoughts.
What I did think is, why?
I mean, not everyone's a GOA, so this honestly doesn't affect eeryone else.
There should be a "GOA Only" thread for unneeded threads like this.
I made a thread on gold cap issues and what I found honestly made me rethink things before I post again.
I posted about gold capped people and after reading some helpful replies it made me think, I should be HAPPY that I have the gold cap, and not ask for more. Like they say, "The grass is always greener on the other side of the mountain."

Moogerfooger
10-09-2011, 07:08 PM

Disagree, sorry. Being picked as a Goa has to date been a reward for being helpful on the forums/in game. It is not a duty. They are not the Po-leece. GoA - outside of having their private group - are no diff than any other player power-wise to date either. It is not their responsibility to police the game. I once had an un-named GoA try to tell me what to do and I laughed publicly.

Nourish
10-09-2011, 07:09 PM
Scamming isn't the right thing to do but people aren't perfect. Theirs ALWAYS gonna be rule breakers.

Cahaun
10-09-2011, 07:22 PM
If I was a GoA or a SG, which I am not, I would help people as I always do, but only if I can do it. If I can't I would give advice and be happy that I did a good turn daily.

Whirlzap
10-09-2011, 07:28 PM
If I was a GoA or a SG, which I am not, I would help people as I always do, but only if I can do it. If I can't I would give advice and be happy that I did a good turn daily.
Not saying that would be you or anyone, but sometimes words change.
Example:
I once promised that if I got a certain achievement I would do my best and keep it going.
And look, I didn't.

More opaque,
Presidents ALWAYS say they will do one thing or that thing when they were running.
But when they get elected, they cannot always fulfill their promises.

Arterra
10-09-2011, 07:34 PM
qwickchat: /r GoA is only a status, not a power or position, sorry. just report. : (

CrimsonTider
10-09-2011, 07:40 PM
Ugghh... I don't like the word power in a game! The only peeps with power are the ones with red names.

I rarely flash my shield and seems to help with the "Hey... aren't you a GOA? I (feel in the blank)" :)

Trollee
10-09-2011, 08:00 PM
I don't really think a GoA should have duties. As Sam said, it's like a reward, not a here, now go do this type of thing. Helping because you want to is one thing, feeling as though you have to is another.

It's more an honor, not job, but yes, there are some things they "should" do, but it gets tedious after replying over and over.

Disagree, sorry. Being picked as a Goa has to date been a reward for being helpful on the forums/in game. It is not a duty. They are not the Po-leece. GoA - outside of having their private group - are no diff than any other player power-wise to date either. It is not their responsibility to police the game. I once had an un-named GoA try to tell me what to do and I laughed publicly.

Okay thanks for changing my view on the matter. I saw it as a more of a "role" in the community, where you did have responsibilities to help others. But I see now it is a reward for doing helpful things in the past. I suppose I figured that all GoA's are the helpful good samaritans of the community and I saw it as a sort of 'unwritten law' that they had that responsibility to help those who needed, and I assumed that most GoA's were like that in game, I mean, we all know they are extremely helpful on the forums, I just assumed this was exactly the same in game. Guess not.

Zeus
10-09-2011, 08:03 PM
The issue is not about helping, as people seemed to overlook that. I didn't mean for it to be taken in that way. The thing is, they expect you to go fetch their stuff for them like you are a hired repo man. That's the issue. Like I said, I'm all for helping, but I'm not a repo man.

Zeus
10-09-2011, 08:05 PM
Okay thanks for changing my view on the matter. I saw it as a more of a "role" in the community, where you did have responsibilities to help others. But I see now it is a reward for doing helpful things in the past. I suppose I figured that all GoA's are the helpful good samaritans of the community and I saw it as a sort of 'unwritten law' that they had that responsibility to help those who needed, and I assumed that most GoA's were like that in game, I mean, we all know they are extremely helpful on the forums, I just assumed this was exactly the same in game. Guess not.

Trollee, I'm not saying that I'm not helpful. But if somebody approached you asking you to retrieve scammed items. How would you take that? I am all for helping. I just don't like being expected to help as a job or duty, more like commanded to help.

Moogerfooger
10-09-2011, 08:06 PM
Hey Trollee, you're entitled to yr opinion as well. No need to change yr mind if you feel that way.

I mostly just wanted to lol (in a good way) at yr Deadly Duck in yr sig!

Trollee
10-09-2011, 08:08 PM
The issue is not about helping, as people seemed to overlook that. I didn't mean for it to be taken in that way. The thing is, they expect you to go fetch their stuff for them like you are a hired repo man. That's the issue. Like I said, I'm all for helping, but I'm not a repo man.

Of course, and don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that GoA's should have to deal with this sort of stuff regularly, I just think that they should help a player in the right direction, and I assumed that they did. Of course a GoA can't be a 'repo man' but they should be telling such player what to do in such a case: ie. email support.

Hey Trollee, you're entitled to yr opinion as well. No need to change yr mind if you feel that way.

I mostly just wanted to lol (in a good way) at yr Deadly Duck in yr sig!

Lol! Haha yeah well I suppose I just viewed GoA's as a small bunch of players that were given such a role for a specific reason, as appose to it being a reward. Which I now stand corrected on =]

Ayc2000
10-09-2011, 08:11 PM
Okay thanks for changing my view on the matter. I saw it as a more of a "role" in the community, where you did have responsibilities to help others. But I see now it is a reward for doing helpful things in the past. I suppose I figured that all GoA's are the helpful good samaritans of the community and I saw it as a sort of 'unwritten law' that they had that responsibility to help those who needed, and I assumed that most GoA's were like that in game, I mean, we all know they are extremely helpful on the forums, I just assumed this was exactly the same in game. Guess not. erm, I didn't mean to put it that way into make you change your own opinion, I was just stating my opinion about your opinion XD they do help, but I was saying they can't help that much, as in every person that has a problem and needs help. That is just too much for one person

Otukura
10-09-2011, 08:13 PM
a GoA can't be a 'repo man' but they should be telling such player what to do in such a case: ie. email support.

But I think everyone should do that, why does being a GoA change anything?

Zeus
10-09-2011, 08:16 PM
Of course, and don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that GoA's should have to deal with this sort of stuff regularly, I just think that they should help a player in the right direction, and I assumed that they did. Of course a GoA can't be a 'repo man' but they should be telling such player what to do in such a case: ie. email support.

Lol! Haha yeah well I suppose I just viewed GoA's as a small bunch of players that were given such a role for a specific reason, as appose to it being a reward. Which I now stand corrected on =]

It's something many people mistake us for. Helping is something I LOVE to do naturally, just not artificially. Also, regarding your comment. If I do not have the time or energy, I do direct them towards support. Some of the issues though, you feel bad for not helping but also feel insulted for being thought of as "that role".

I even heard somebody in Balefort say, "If you get scammed, ask a GOA to retrieve your stuff for you".

Ayc2000
10-09-2011, 08:17 PM
I even heard somebody in Balefort say, "If you get scammed, ask a GOA to retrieve your stuff for you".some one really said that?! Wow...

Trollee
10-09-2011, 08:18 PM
erm, I didn't mean to put it that way into make you change your own opinion, I was just stating my opinion about your opinion XD they do help, but I was saying they can't help that much, as in every person that has a problem and needs help. That is just too much for one person

Yes I understand that they can't help much. But in my opinion, and with all due respect, I think a GoA should still provide help to the player in need. Of course, they can't be a repo man of sorts, all I'm saying is that I would expect a GoA to be able to guide the player in the right direction. Which, in this case, is to just tell the unfortunate player to email support. I just can't help but feel empathy for the players that get scammed and IMO I feel like it is (or should be) a GoA's duty to help the player in need. For I believe that it is truly not that big an ask....

This is just my opinion, and my view of what a GoA actually is might be a bit skewed. But as there are only a select few elite players that have the GoA title I value it as a position that deserves a high level of respect, and in return provides help to players in such circumstances

But I think everyone should do that, why does being a GoA change anything?

Yes, anybody can help another player. But I believe being a GoA gives them a responsibility to do so. Of course it's not concrete law or anything, and please, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the current GoA's aren't helping or that they should be more helpful.

It's something many people mistake us for. Helping is something I LOVE to do naturally, just not artificially. Also, regarding your comment. If I do not have the time or energy, I do direct them towards support. Some of the issues though, you feel bad for not helping but also feel insulted for being thought of as "that role".

I even heard somebody in Balefort say, "If you get scammed, ask a GOA to retrieve your stuff for you".

Yeah that is a bit ridiculous, but I think we all know the extent players in PL that aren't quite with the logistics of the game and often require a bit of info on how the whole system works (getting scammed etc.) and what to do in such circumstances is required.

CanonicalKoi
10-09-2011, 08:23 PM
I once had an un-named GoA try to tell me what to do and I laughed publicly.

C'mon, now. I tell you what to do all the time. You've never done it yet, but.... :D

ETA: There were a couple of occasions early in the program where someone got scammed/cheated and a GoA went and talked with the other party and worked things out. I think that contributed to the idea that GoA's have Sooper Seeeecret Magic Powers. Of course, neither GoA's or SG's do--we're just players like everybody else.

Ebalere
10-09-2011, 08:26 PM
Being recently inducted into the Star Guard, I've ran into a few similar things. Someone was spamming Blackstar about the chrome event on monday, and then PM's me :

"You should be telling people"
I say, " Telling people what?"
He goes, "You're SG you should be telling people about upcoming events!"
I reply, "You're doing a great job, bro!"

Lol, I don't quite know what my responsiblilties are, but I'm fairly certain that's not one of them. I keep my badge in my pocket 80% of the time, like Crim, and I rarely get asked about anything SG unless it's someone who knows me.

Unfortunately for you, Parth, you be too famouz to just hide the shield. Everyone knows you and that must make it 10x tougher sometimes.

CanonicalKoi
10-09-2011, 08:29 PM
I keep my badge in my pocket 80% of the time, like Crim, and I rarely get asked about anything SG unless it's someone who knows me.

Unfortunately for you, Parth, you be too famouz to just hide the shield. Everyone knows you and that must make it 10x tougher sometimes.

Heh. About to post a photo on the SL forums.... :D

Zeus
10-09-2011, 08:36 PM
Being recently inducted into the Star Guard, I've ran into a few similar things. Someone was spamming Blackstar about the chrome event on monday, and then PM's me :

Lol, I don't quite know what my responsiblilties are, but I'm fairly certain that's not one of them. I keep my badge in my pocket 80% of the time, like Crim, and I rarely get asked about anything SG unless it's someone who knows me.

A rename is in order then. :) I like to be considered a normal person. Hehe

Otukura
10-09-2011, 08:38 PM

All hail Rangepwnsmeel! What about Ibestbird?

Ayc2000
10-09-2011, 08:39 PM
Like 'theindian' :P
But we'd still probably know you or there will be a mass hunting for you

Ebalere
10-09-2011, 08:39 PM

The people that know you don't look at you different, and that's what counts. I'd hate to see you change your name just because of the GoA status :(

Zeus
10-09-2011, 08:42 PM
I'm thinking thesadarcher. ;)

Just joking! But, any suggestions?

Eba, I have been thinking about it for quite a while. I like people being friendly to me and all, but honestly, I like to joke around way to much to be considered a role model to anyone.

Ellyidol
10-09-2011, 08:44 PM
Haven't you seen the new upcoming movie? The Guardians : Repo Men.

CanonicalKoi
10-09-2011, 08:44 PM

Parth, you're one of the nicest people in the game I know, so you're already "not normal". :) (And if you didn't poke at the sweet little bunny, it wouldn't have bitten you.)

Otukura
10-09-2011, 08:47 PM
Just joking! But, any suggestions?

Partholome does not exist.

Zeus
10-09-2011, 08:47 PM
Parth, you're one of the nicest people in the game I know, so you're already "not normal". :) (And if you didn't poke at the sweet little bunny, it wouldn't have bitten you.)

I gave it a carrot! I know my finger is brown and everything, but it does not resemble a carrot!

Zeus
10-09-2011, 08:48 PM
Haven't you seen the new upcoming movie? The Guardians : Repo Men.

I need to watch this movie in 3D. LOL!

CanonicalKoi
10-09-2011, 08:50 PM
I gave it a carrot! I know my finger is brown and everything, but it does not resemble a carrot!

You had a carrot, it smelled carrot, bunny's forward vision is just about nil (great peripheral vision, tho)....'nough said. Bunny tease! (Ooh! There's a name idea! Lol.)

Zeus
10-09-2011, 08:55 PM
You had a carrot, it smelled carrot, bunny's forward vision is just about nil (great peripheral vision, tho)....'nough said. Bunny tease! (Ooh! There's a name idea! Lol.)

Ah, makes sense. I forgive the bunny. *looks suspiciously*

apocketlegend
10-09-2011, 09:27 PM
Lol Parth they just think your a dev Bc your so popular.

Zeus
10-09-2011, 09:38 PM
Lol Parth they just think your a dev Bc your so popular.

No, of course not. Please do not think of me in that way. :) I'm your friend. :)

WhoIsThis
10-09-2011, 09:41 PM
I think that this problem stems from the fact that most people don't even know what the Guardian is for, let alone what that they are not moderators.

WoundedEagle
10-09-2011, 09:46 PM
This happened to me once... before I was a Guard.

Aneheazatek
10-09-2011, 09:47 PM
Probably you are carrying your GOA shield around.

I gotz scammed!'nnmm!!!! Apoollo get my stuff bak pl0x?1

I never dealt with this, just a mountain of trade/friend requests and begging.

drewcapu
10-10-2011, 03:32 AM

In this game, it tends to be more like:

"With no power comes no responsibility." -Kick-***

JaytB
10-10-2011, 03:49 AM
Ugghh... I don't like the word power in a game! The only peeps with power are the ones with red names.

I rarely flash my shield and seems to help with the "Hey... aren't you a GOA? I (feel in the blank)" :)

Same here, I rarely wear that shield outside the guild hall or outside of locked games with friends.

If people don't know you're a guardian, they won't bother you with things you can do nothing about. Although, that might be a bit late for you Apollo. I guess everyone knows you're a guardian by now :)

NECROREAPER
10-10-2011, 04:53 AM
PARTHOLOMEW!!

Courtesy of Lyric :)

Petrichor
10-10-2011, 09:44 AM
:) I'm your friend. :)

Liesss. Didn't your momma teach you better? :playful:

Rare
10-10-2011, 09:58 AM
I found in game lately, when people get scammed, the first thing they do is come to a Guardian and think they can get their stuff back for them. I can't tell you how many times people have come up and been like, I got scammed by so and so. Can you get my stuff back for me? It feels dirty in a way to waltz there and "force" them to give it back.

I'm all for helping the community.

Thoughts? Opinions? Flame-Free Posts? Post below!

Man. Thanks for volunteering for this. I'll look you up if I am ever dumb enough to get scammed.

ATL

13lacklegionz
10-10-2011, 10:36 AM
Hmm, have any GoA's actually managed to convince the scammer to give back the items/gold/account?

13lacklegionz
10-10-2011, 10:37 AM
No, of course not. Please do not think of me in that way. :) I'm your friend. :)

Wow, that just sounds so suspicious and stalker-like. :D

Swimmingstar
10-10-2011, 01:00 PM
Yes I agree. Many people do not know what forums and GoA are.
I suggest they should put a giant sign in balefort saying.

Well something like that.

Zeus
10-10-2011, 05:33 PM
Hmm, have any GoA's actually managed to convince the scammer to give back the items/gold/account?

Everytime I asked, I was successfull.

13lacklegionz
10-10-2011, 05:38 PM
Everytime I asked, I was successfull.

Awww nicceeee! Could you do that with darkmatterkid? But ask like you're a dev, because he isn't very polite. :)

Samhayne
10-10-2011, 05:38 PM
I would reply with "You can get help at http://support.spacetimestudios.com" and get back to playing.

You guys are awesome and all, but you are in no way obligated to help anyone. The recognition is just that, recognition for being cool, helpful and stuff you've done for the community - not making you a Customer Service rep.

Ayc2000
10-10-2011, 05:40 PM
oh wow..you have lots of power without having power at all...:drunk: