PDA

View Full Version : Deathpunch Combat Keyboard for your qHD/HDPI/MDPI Android device.

Deathpunch
10-10-2011, 07:19 AM
Have you ever been on a run, pull up the chat and your board and get annoyed that half of your screen is blocked by the keyboard? I know I sure have. :D

It is my intent with this thread to remedy that for Android users. Sadly, this mod is only for Android devices. Mostly because I don't have the software to make it for iOS or an iPhone/iPod/iPad to test it on. With that said, I introduce the Deathpunch Combat Keyboard for Android devices. It will be based on the Gingerbread keyboard, and I made it for mdpi, hdpi, and qHD resolutions. If you don't know what your device is, ASK ME. I don't mind taking a second to dig around Google to find the answer for you. I originally made this for Star Legends, as I don't play PL much, but it will work here, too.

+++ DISCLAIMER +++

Spacetime Studios (STS) does not condone the modding of your device. They, nor I, will not be held responsible if you have any hardware or software issues after installing this mod. The choice to download, install, and/or use this keyboard is YOUR choice, and your choice alone.

+++ END DISCLAIMER +++

+++ INSTRUCTIONS +++
+++ PLEASE READ FULLY AND ASK QUESTIONS IF YOU NEED TO!!! +++
+++ ROOT ACCESS IS NOT REQUIRED TO USE THIS. IN ESSENCE, IT IS NO DIFFERENT THAN GETTING APPS FROM THE MARKET +++
+++ THIS WILL NOT REPLACE ANY OTHER KEYBOARD ON YOUR DEVICE +++

1. First thing, make sure you are able to install apps from outside of the Android Market. To do that, on your home screen, tap menu > settings > applications and check the Unknown Sources check box. Be advised, if you have a device on AT&T and is older, more than 6 months and haven't received a maintenance update to allow sideloading, it is quite possible you'll not be able to install this due to AT&T's restriction on sideloading apps. That changed once the Amazon app market went live, so, if you are on AT&T and don't see the Unknowns Sources check box, then you'll have to use Android Central's Sideload Wonder Machine (http://www.androidcentral.com/sideload-android-apps-all-you-want-sideload-wonder-machine) or root your device to install this.

2.Next, determine what version you need and click the link below to begin the download. Once downloaded, depending on device, it may begin the install process automatically. If not, then pull down your notification tray and tap the download complete notification to begin installation.

3. Once installed, return to your home screen. Tap menu > settings > language & keyboards. This will bring you to the screen where you will enable the new keyboard. The qhd version will be listed as "3vo keyboard" and the m/hdpi will be listed as "Gingerbread keyboard". Check the box to enable the new board. While there, go ahead and check out your keyboard settings to make sure they are what you want. I suggest to enable vibrate on keypress and disable popup and sound on keypress.

4. Now that you have your keyboard enabled in settings, it's time to set it so you can use it. To do that, open an edit text box, easiest way would be to tap your search key to pull up Google search, long press the edit text box, and select input method. This will bring up a dialog box with all enabled keyboards. Select the new one and it will become your default keyboard. If you do not see the new keyboard listed, go back to step #2 and make sure it is enabled.

5. There you go, all done. Now go play some Star Legends or Pocket Legends with your brand new keyboard.

A suggestion: once done playing, I advise returning to the stock keyboard, or whatever you were using, as this board is fine in game but it is a pain to use as your main keyboard. However, the choice is yours. To change back, just follow #4 and choose something besides the new board.

+++ DOWNLOADS +++

Download this with your device to save time.

qHD version: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16990152/DCK_qHD_signed.apk

mdpi/hdpi version: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16990152/DCK_mdpi_hdpi_signed.apk

Thanks go out to:

Mayhem for Xoom testing and letting me know that tablet support is a ways away. Hopefully, I can find a ginger board sized for tablets.

Criostal for testing HDPI version for me.

Gunfu for reminding me of the pitfalls of theming for unrooted phones.

Bakoffmycandy for confirming that this works on the Archos 101. First tablet that this is confirmed to work on.

Uepauke for Galaxy Tab confirmation. Now Flip can use it!

KoC for being such a great group of people.

Last, but not least, STS for making such a great game.

Thanks, all!

http://i44.servimg.com/u/f44/16/84/02/02/testsh10.jpg

RedRyder
10-10-2011, 07:28 AM
wow! this is really good! unfortunately, i cant try it out since i have an iphone/ipad :(

apocketlegend
10-10-2011, 08:49 AM
I might try it but looks confusing.

Uepauke
10-10-2011, 09:06 AM
Thanks, this worked for me. Galaxy Tab is hdpi for those who want to try this.

The bonus is that, while I can't swype with this, I can take off that ANNOYING voice input button I keep pressing during runs, resulting in a death in the team...

Draco Mikato
10-10-2011, 09:15 AM
Awesome. Though my Droid2 has a physical keyboard, this looks really useful for the people of SL. Thanks to you!

Yvonnel
10-10-2011, 09:19 AM
Nice one Deathpunch! Gotta get someone to theme swype like this. Gonna head over to xda and hit a few folks up!

Tapatalk'd from my PowerWashed Fascinate

Deathpunch
10-10-2011, 09:43 AM
Thanks, this worked for me. Galaxy Tab is hdpi for those who want to try this.

The bonus is that, while I can't swype with this, I can take off that ANNOYING voice input button I keep pressing during runs, resulting in a death in the team...

Excellent! I wasn't positive if it would work on the Gal tab or not. Your confirmation is going into the op. Thanks! Would it be possible of you to snag a screenshot and post it? I don't know if you can or not, but it would be greatly appreciated if you could.

Also, thanks to you all for the compliments!