PDA

View Full Version : giving elixir users a good rep

Suentous PO
10-10-2011, 11:10 PM
subtitled how to keep & make friends on roids
this wont apply so much to folks who mostly roll with kin. This is about mixed elixir groups & how we can weed out bad habits & give pointers to each other. There are a lot of legitimate criticisms in various threads about juice users. Some are-
RUNNERS-Dont rush or if you have your own reason to do that, at least explain if they join you "boss only" or "speed rounds" or ask if its cool to join if its random "lxrs ok?". If you tear through leaving random chaos that leaves a tedious walk, you arent much fun.
NON TEAM PLAYERS- pugs need a bit of feeling out. Like, how is this bear playing, is he setting up groups for good a mage or bird, then let him lead sometimes, even if you could tank. If the're timid, go tank. Pause when you leave your group behind, let em catch up. If someone dies dont blaze past, you might be setting the tone which could be selfish or altruistic.
Sometimes i pick a non juiced mage & become a bodygaurd, because irony is watching a dead elixired toon wait patiently for a normal mage to catch up & res.
If you find yourself at odds with a random group leave, or Just host with passwords.
In mostly doing these random games ive met some great folk, and also seen some of the inside of my wrist from facepalms.
Post contructive observations, funny horror stories without names, as an bad example. This isnt about "whats wrong with Blabidy Bla bla", it should be about making it better for us all, or just laughing at our experiences.

protectorofnoobs
10-11-2011, 12:37 AM
very thoughtful . .
I completely agree with this but sometimes people with elixirs on do sometimes want to speed like crazy (cuz theyre losing money by the second)

Suentous PO
10-11-2011, 01:40 AM
Right, no prob there. If time is an issue just be honest about it, or host with friends. Or at least know that not working with your team is going to water down the quality of your friends list & make it harder in the long run to reach lofty goals. Friends have made this more fun, & worth any irritant.

MrGoober
10-11-2011, 01:53 AM
I didn't read that book. No paragraphs or nothing? Offensive.

Agreed!

Next time host with friends.

I accept elixirs (56 or younger)

Still like running with max criers too. (61 elixir users)

pastrychef
10-11-2011, 02:02 AM
Interesting. If players on elixirs don't storm through each dungeon and continue to stick to the mechanics of teamwork, it could go a long way making elixirs better accepted. However, it may be difficult since it is counter productive to those who are on elixirs. What I mean is, first, most elixir users are probably looking to maximize on the elixir and that means going as fast as possible. Secondly, if there are two or more players on combo elixirs, they really can clear any dungeon alone (Symphony may be the only exception) without any assistance from the players not on elixirs. Third, I am assuming that many elixir users enjoy the speed at which games progress when they run flat out.

Overall, it's a noble idea but I think it will be very difficult to convince elixir users to follow. The best solution, in my opinion, is to endorse the use of lesser powered elixirs rather than the 3x and 4x combo ones if they must use elixirs. I still believe that not using elixirs helps build more skilled players and it is actually in their own interest that they avoid its use.

MrGoober
10-11-2011, 02:23 AM
Interesting. If players on elixirs don't storm through each dungeon and continue to stick to the mechanics of teamwork, it could go a long way making elixirs better accepted. However, it may be difficult since it is counter productive to those who are on elixirs. What I mean is, first, most elixir users are probably looking to maximize on the elixir and that means going as fast as possible. Secondly, if there are two or more players on combo elixirs, they really can clear any dungeon alone (Symphony may be the only exception) without any assistance from the players not on elixirs. Third, I am assuming that many elixir users enjoy the speed at which games progress when they run flat out.

Overall, it's a noble idea but I think it will be very difficult to convince elixir users to follow. The best solution, in my opinion, is to endorse the use of lesser powered elixirs rather than the 3x and 4x combo ones if they must use elixirs. I still believe that not using elixirs helps build more skilled players and it is actually in their own interest that they avoid its use.

I like all elixir users. I do think the user (the elixir user) should ask the creator what plans they have, as in mini-bosses.

Suentous PO
10-11-2011, 10:00 AM
All valid points Pastrychef, but if you are in a pug on elixirs you might not be maximising your time well anyway & may want a good guild or good friends for efficiency. For sure two roided up birds can make a normal bear irrelivant, but so what if like many say, you are a worse player in the end. Ive hosted a lot of pugs where 61's from great guilds pop in so i know exp. & time are less of an issue, even if just farming. Not really trying to convince everyone but pugs arent a race with one or two winners, & the rest of the team sings your praises cuz "man that guy was fast"
cheers

Aikiebo
10-11-2011, 10:05 AM
Elixir users already have a really great rep. Far more people use elixirs than don't. And then many who don't use elixirs themselves LOVE grouping with those who do. Because they get a bit of faster xp without having to spend rl or ig coin.

It is only a tiny percentage of people who dislike or even hate elixir use.

As far as a group talking with each other and figuring out how they are going to proceed through the map, I am all for that. I wish that was done more often.

However, there is no reason elixir users have to do this more than anyone else. It's basically up to the leader of the group to set the tone.

Remember players who use elixirs are doing what the devs want us to do.

Players who use elixirs are doing more for their group and the game in general than those players who choose not to use elixirs.

However, there is huge trend where groups are insisting that all players use elixirs. This has been complained about many times on the forums. Yeah, elixirs help the game and the group way more than not using them, but no one HAS to use elixirs.

One of the problems with setting up a thread like this is it pits people against each other instead of helping people work together. I know the op stated that he was trying to do the oposite. But, players who use elixirs have no more explaining of themselves than those who don't use elixirs.

I personally love it when a group first gets together they decide some basic things (for example: wether or not to do mini-boss). But most people don't want to spend time standing around chatting. They want to xp. Again, I think this is unfortunate, but it is true. It is up to the host to set the tone. Some real basic stuff can be mentioned during the very beginning of the map, but, at least for me, I am not going to do a lot of talking while running/fighting.

But, elxir users have no more responsibility for doing this than non-elixr users.

The idea that there is only one way to play the game is ridic. Obviously, there is more than one way to play the game. Why people worry about elixirs I don't know. If you want to play without elixrs, go ahead, no one will say anything to you.

As far as friends list goes: lol, more people use elixirs than don't and for those who don't there are plenty who love grouping with elixir users. Friends lists are huge. Because, as stated there are huge advantages to elixirs. But, yeah, you don't have to use them if you don't want to. Just group with people who don't use them.

Anyone who zone's into a hosted game should be polite. But an elxir user doesn't have to ask "is it ok if I use elxir" anymore than a non-user has to ask "is it ok if I don't use elixr". It's kind of a weird idea that either be done. But if you're a host, and want to operate with a narrow view of possibilities, (either exlir or no elixr) then just politely make your choice known. No one has to apologize for using elixirs. No one has to apologize for not using elixirs. Most people don't want to spend a lot of time standing around, but if you do, go for it. But for many, that would be a friend's list killer.

Bottom line: It's kind of noob not to be able to get along with all people. But, if you don't want to, then don't. Group with your friends and lock your games.

Second bottom line: is that people need to learn to work together or lock their games. If you start off a group with some kind of hate/chip on your shoulder/private agenda then you are not going to enjoy yourself all that much. Because the whole time in your mind your whining about every little thing, picking apart and putting a negative vibe on everything.

Elixir use doesn't eliminate standard group mechanics. The oposite is true. Elixr use enhances group mechanics when a group wants to function in that standard way. Also, elixir use enhances group mechanics when people want to get through the map as fast as possible. Either way, elixirs make the group and the game better. Remember, the only time standard group mechanics don't occur is when the group members don't care about standard group mechanics. They want to xp and farm pinks, other drops and gold. And they want to do this as fast as possible. If you care about standard group mechanics more than these other things, that's great. Group with your friends and lock your games.

Suentous PO
10-11-2011, 10:26 AM
Aikiebo, agreed. There is no one way to play, & no one is obligated anything more than " be nice have fun". I hope this doesn't pit anyone anywhere. If it gets nasty I'll do like a bad pug & walk off the thread. The idea is simply teamwork. Thx

Aikiebo
10-11-2011, 10:48 AM
Aikiebo, agreed. There is no one way to play, & no one is obligated anything more than " be nice have fun". I hope this doesn't pit anyone anywhere. If it gets nasty I'll do like a bad pug & walk off the thread. The idea is simply teamwork. Thx

Totally agree. Be nice and have fun!!! That is what it is supposed to be about. Thanks for this thread.

pastrychef
10-11-2011, 10:56 AM
@ Aikiebo:

I have no idea what the percentages are of elixir users and non-elixir users are. Yes, there are lots of people who enjoy the benefits of running with players who are on elixirs. Most prevalent are probably the ones who are looking to level up.

As for communications, obviously, that is good practice. That's why when someone enters someone else's game, it's a good idea to ask if it's alright to join and/or alright to use an elixir. You say to just run with and lock games, but often times, friends are not on or there are not enough to fill team. Leaving games open also allows the opportunity to meet new people. By your definition, why don't all the elixir users get together and lock their games??? Why do you feel the burdens rests entirely on the non-elixir users?

Sure, devs wants everyone to use elixirs. They also want everyone to buy the 500 plat Omnipotent Crown. Have all your elixir using buddies purchased that?

Getting along with people has nothing to do with noob status. It's compatibility of personalities.

You are obviously and elixir user, therefore, you many not know now difficult it is to "work together" with some of these mad rushers. They can place chips on your shoulder, knock it off, and you still can't catch up to them.

In regards, to group mechanics of teams on elixirs, you've gotta be kidding me. A team of five players on 3x or 4x combo elixirs really don't need any team work and/or group mechanics. Just run through the maps and blast. If that's how you like it, group with your friends and lock your games.

Aikiebo
10-11-2011, 08:47 PM
@ Aikiebo:

Most prevalent are probably the ones who are looking to level up.

That's why when someone enters someone else's game, it's a good idea to ask if it's alright to join and/or alright to use an elixir. You say to just run with and lock games, but often times, friends are not on or there are not enough to fill team. Leaving games open also allows the opportunity to meet new people. By your definition, why don't all the elixir users get together and lock their games??? Why do you feel the burdens rests entirely on the non-elixir users?

Getting along with people has nothing to do with noob status. It's compatibility of personalities.

You are obviously and elixir user, therefore, you many not know now difficult it is to "work together" with some of these mad rushers. They can place chips on your shoulder, knock it off, and you still can't catch up to them.

A team of five players on 3x or 4x combo elixirs really don't need any team work and/or group mechanics.

pastrychef, when i was saying in my post, "start your own games and lock them", it honestly wasn't some snarky if-you-dont-like-it-TOO-BAD-tuff-stuff-it's-my-way-or-the-highway kinda thing. Go-lock-your-own-game. I didn't mean it that way at all. I wouldn't act like that in rl, ig, nor would I advocate that on these forums. It was "you and all players have the right to enjoy their game play".

If someone cares more about the practice of the routine, standard, game-mechanics MORE than they care about farming pinks, crafting stuff or gold and/or xp'ing then by all means they have the right to enjoy their gaming experience their way.

Many people use elixirs to improve their farming.

Farming is WAY, WAY more profitible when on elixirs.

I'll repeat: Farming is. WAY, WAY more profitible when on elixirs.

I don't think that it is only non-elixr people responsible for building a culture of cooperation. In fact if you read what I typed, it says the opposite. I said that all players should learn to and practice cooperation.

A lot of people boot as a crutch. They can't get along, so instead of trying to work on this skill, they just boot. It's not good for the game to boot for frivilous reasons. Or, someone thinks it is ok to act like a donkey when they are leading a group, then it is not good for the game for people like that to be leaders.

And, yeah, pastrychef, it is important to be a good leader and/or responsible citizen of the in game (and this forum) community. The game needs us to act right so more people will be active. And most of us would have more fun if we could act right.

Only some variation of griefer enjoys being a jerk to others.

Instead of being a good leader, if the most someone can come up with is: well too bad, we not gonna get along cuz of our personalities, so get loss. That's not good for the community, the game, or the people involved.

And I know that you know these things. This topic is so controversial it is sometimes easy to get carried away.

And, yeah, what I said is: elixir use enhances standard game mechanics WHEN AND IF that is what the players on elixirs want to do. You can do the reg thing if most or all on elixrs. I know, I've done it many times. And it is super fun and very exciting. Your right, you get three or four on combos, they don't NEED to play the standard way. But they can if they want to.

Elixrs improve game play wether or not you want to use standard mechanics or more the exciting play style.

I play with people everyday who are not on elixers. They don't have any problem keeping up. And I have played while not on with others who were. I have had no problem keeping up. This is bit overblown I think. Yeah, there is no time to dilly dally around, but it is possible to keep up.

So you're saying, that when a elixr person zones in they should ask if they can use elixr and if a non-elixir person zones in they should ask if they can join and not use an elixr? Communication = great group. But, if carried too far, hmmm.... no one wants a lot of drama before, during or after a four minute run.

And unless the others that you are with share this overwhelming desire for convention, not everyone is gonna appreciate the drama needed to "enforce" a personal opinion.

Most people just really want to get going.

And yeah, I know, that lots of times, friends may not be online. To me, that is a good time to practice my "agility and flexibility" skills. Maybe group with someone who has bit different playing style.

These discussions on this forum, lol, sometimes, get so ridic. And I just don't mean elixir topic. I mean all these controversial topics. PEOPLE use elixrs if you want. Don't use 'em if you don't want. Be nice and get along. Can't always have your way. Sometime yes, sometimes no. Sometimes compromise is the way to roll.

pastrychef
10-11-2011, 11:44 PM
@ Aikiebo:

I apologize for misinterpreting your previous post. Perhaps it's my desire to continue to progress and improve my skills that's led me to my disdain for elixirs. However, I agree, for farming, elixirs certainly do help. Despite what others may say, I firmly believe that those who are on combo elixirs get more drops.

I'll be the first to admit. Prior to Nuri's introduction, I simply booted those who were on elixirs. I saw absolutely no need for them as any decent team was able to run through any Sewer map rather quickly and efficiently and elixir usage didn't contribute anything to runs. All it did was help the individual(s) on elixirs take kills away from those who were not on them.

Since Nuri's introduction, my stance has softened. Many people, myself included, had considerable difficulty in Nuri's in the beginning. I began seeing a spike in elixir usage. Personally, I persevered and practiced and died and practiced some more. Frustration mounted among many people and, again, I saw even more elixir usage. Now, many of these people have become so accustomed to the rush of blazing through Nuri's maps now, they can not be weened off of them. Perhaps, the answer is to offer just the speed elixir again.

I do many pug runs and have adopted and learned to play with most elixir users. However, I still appreciate when people pop in and ask if it's alright to join. It hasn't happened yet, but a quick "mind if I pot?" would also be appreciated. However, I still find runs with a team of skilled players not on elixirs the most rewarding whether we get drops or not.