PDA

View Full Version : An Accidental Listing on the Auction House

IBNobody
10-11-2011, 10:49 PM
I bought a custom epic armor piece at the auction house today for less than 600 credits.

This had to have been an error on the seller's part. If I were the seller, I would be very distraught.

I'd like to reunite the item with the owner, but... When I snapped up the item, I didn't think to check the owner's name.

What should I do?

Should I wait for the owner to contact me?
Does STS keep sale records? Can I ask Sam?

I DO NOT want to broadcast a "Whoever lost a custom ___ ___, please come see me message." They'd come out of the woodwork for that.

I'd like opinions.

TANKKAAR
10-11-2011, 11:31 PM
I think its very noble of you for even making this effort on forums... I would imagine STS has records of that considering everything else they have access too, so you should try to contact them but other then that I would wait to see if the seller trys to reach you. If this doesnt happen and STS cant help you I would say "A" for effort on returning this item and karma is just paying you back for other good deeds you have done :)

IBNobody
10-11-2011, 11:58 PM
I think its very noble of you for even making this effort on forums... I would imagine STS has records of that considering everything else they have access too, so you should try to contact them but other then that I would wait to see if the seller trys to reach you. If this doesnt happen and STS cant help you I would say "A" for effort on returning this item and karma is just paying you back for other good deeds you have done :)

I sent a private message to SamHayne asking what STS can do.

I do not wish to profit off the misfortune of others. I am kicking myself for letting the bargain berseker side of me overrule my sense of propriety. Though, if I didnt act swiftly, someone else may have snagged it and the seller would have been completely out of luck.

javier995
10-12-2011, 12:28 AM
I bought a custom epic armor piece at the auction house today for less than 600 credits.

This had to have been an error on the seller's part. If I were the seller, I would be very distraught.

I'd like to reunite the item with the owner, but... When I snapped up the item, I didn't think to check the owner's name.

What should I do?

I DO NOT want to broadcast a "Whoever lost a custom ___ ___, please come see me message." They'd come out of the woodwork for that.

I'd like opinions.

i make that mistake sometim. Luckily I always double check before leaving a.h.,as for the seller he will probably contact you.

EDIT: Luckily it was you that bought it! I think if it had been someone else they would've kept quiet about it. I agree it is noble.

JaytB
10-12-2011, 12:47 AM
Nice to read this kind of post between all the 'I got scammed' posts. I've been in this situation before, but on the sellers' side. It can be very frustrating and the item is rarely returned by the buyer. I only had 1 person actually returning it (millilechicken was the honest person who actually returned an item to me).

Props to you for going all out to try and correct this mistake! I wish more people were like that :)

McBain
10-12-2011, 02:27 AM
I applaud your sense of fairness, but I honestly can't say I would do the same thing. There are no do-overs in life, so why should this be any different? If I list something on Ebay and forget to add a zero in the price, then somebody buys it, I don't get to say "oh sorry, that's $1,000, not $100." Sometimes people need to learn a hard lesson so that they'll always remember to double-check in the future.

Anyway, I guess I'm a "tough love" kind of guy.

JaytB
10-12-2011, 02:31 AM
There are no do-overs in life, so why should this be any different?

Cause it's a game? Don't you usually get 3 lives, so 3 chances in most games? :p

BodMaster
10-12-2011, 02:51 AM

What should I do?

I'd like opinions.

More than positive that sts keep records on the sales if not they can always back track your 'chat log' (time etc) as this may help the situation. I applaud you also in this act not may people would. They would just think check out the deal I got.. with screenshots the lot lol. Good to see you staying true to yourslef :)

McBain
10-12-2011, 05:16 AM
Cause it's a game? Don't you usually get 3 lives, so 3 chances in most games? :p

Baaaaaaaaahhhhhh...you with your logic......get off my lawn!

I guess I'm just a greedy son of a b. To be fair though, if the shoe was on the other foot so to speak, and I was the seller that made the mistake, I wouldn't go asking the buyer to give it back either. I'd facepalm and possibly cry myself to sleep, but I'd man up and learn from then on to double-check the price when I sell something, because all's fair in love and SL.

I do admire the honesty though. If there were more people like IBN in the world, it would probably be a better place. As I said, you're a better man (or woman?) than I.

BodMaster
10-12-2011, 05:53 AM
Baaaaaaaaahhhhhh...you with your logic......get off my lawn!

I guess I'm just a greedy son of a b. To be fair though, if the shoe was on the other foot so to speak, and I was the seller that made the mistake, I wouldn't go asking the buyer to give it back either. I'd facepalm and possibly cry myself to sleep, but I'd man up and learn from then on to double-check the price when I sell something, because all's fair in love and SL.

I do admire the honesty though. If there were more people like IBN in the world, it would probably be a better place. As I said, you're a better man (or woman?) than I.

IB Woman?? haha sorry IB :p

Or... not complete the sale, keep the name on the 'Complete Tab' and nag the buyer to return it? hehe

Acyer
10-12-2011, 06:21 AM
Good form bro. But why list at 600 all pieces range from 10-15k a piece maybe someone meant to put it in that cheap.

BodMaster
10-12-2011, 06:46 AM
Good form bro. But why list at 600 all pieces range from 10-15k a piece maybe someone meant to put it in that cheap.

Were assuming (hate to assume as it.. you know the rest) it was to be listed as 6000, but missed a zero which become 600?! :/

IBNobody
10-12-2011, 06:53 AM
Were assuming (hate to assume as it.. you know the rest) it was to be listed as 6000, but missed a zero which become 600?! :/

What I think happened was the player went to sell some non-custom item, but he ended up selling the custom one instead.

BodMaster
10-12-2011, 07:04 AM
What I think happened was the player went to sell some non-custom item, but he ended up selling the custom one instead.

That would be possible also.. and would make a little more sence as even 6k is way too cheap for any Custom piece. (10k just for recipe as you know)

Will just have to wait until Sam comes back with a solution, or you may find your up one custom piece, with that tint of WhatEverYouWannaCallIt.

Navygreen
10-12-2011, 07:05 AM
That's very nice of you. What if the seller meant it? :D

Nice to have people like you around.

Cabero
10-12-2011, 07:50 AM
I know I have undersold and overbought by mistake. Everyone now and then makes mistakes like that I'm sure. I can't be the only idiot out there can I? :witless:

Rawrimafish
10-12-2011, 08:40 AM
Thats nice...im having trouble thinking lol

CanonicalKoi
10-12-2011, 08:49 AM
When the seller goes to get his cash, it shows who purchased it, yes? It does in PL, anyway. If so and if it was a mistake, and if the seller wanted to contact you following your kind offer, he could always send you a screenshot of that window to prove that they were the actual seller of the item.

BodMaster
10-12-2011, 08:57 AM
When the seller goes to get his cash, it shows who purchased it, yes? It does in PL, anyway. If so and if it was a mistake, and if the seller wanted to contact you following your kind offer, he could always send you a screenshot of that window to prove that they were the actual seller of the item.

Yup it does, whats the chances of them trying to contact buyer? lol think they would *crawl up in a corner and...*

CanonicalKoi
10-12-2011, 09:01 AM
Yup it does, whats the chances of them trying to contact buyer? lol think they would *crawl up in a corner and...*

Depends on if they read the forum or not. ;) Mainly I was trying to come up with a filter for IBN if he got whacked with 5 zillion PM's all saying, "That was my item!"

I've only had one "steal" purchase, but I saw who sold it, bought it and PM'd them in game to see if it was a mistake. Wasn't, they were being nice and selling it at a low price. So, I got a really nice bow and a clear conscious. (And thanks again, Elly! That bow was a big help. :) )

thequickone
10-12-2011, 10:44 AM
@ IBN: Great job! The honesty, diligence, and selflessness you have displayed here and with your in-game actions are a true credit to the badge you wear. *points to junior boy scouts' fishing patch* Oh, wait... No, no, the other one... :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, I think very few would do what you have. It makes me happy to know that I am playing a game with as many upright citizens as there are, and I am doing my best to be one, as well.

Now for my confession... I picked up a Disruptive Nanites at the CS for about 50 or 100 Credits, the average price of other green craft items, back when they were going for between 1500 and 2000 Credits. I can only guess someone was liquidating and didn't realize what they had. I did not contact the seller, and was not contacted regarding the purchase. If it makes up for it at all, I have recently given away two Disruptive Nanites to a player of an Op I was helping to fine-tune. ;)

StompArtist
10-12-2011, 10:50 AM

What should I do?

I'd like opinions.

I can easily find the owner for you. Meet me in game and give me the item after that I'll take care of this entirely!

IBNobody
10-12-2011, 11:06 AM
I talked with support, and they are unable to mine the data to find out who the seller was. They don't have access. That's understandable.

I'll hold onto it for a week or two, and if the seller doesn't contact me, I will likely sell it or trade it.

If you were inspired by this event, please consider doing the same. It's only a matter of time before I accidentally sell something important to me.