PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one?

Chickenman
10-12-2011, 04:08 PM
I'm a level 43 avian, I've played a considerable amount of the game. I've come across many people, and I have interacted with a large majority of them. There is only one thing that I've come across that I don't understand: in game relationships. People pop in and out of Townes asking for girlfriends, and many people go on just to chat with "their soul mate on the other side of the world." Most of my guildmates and other friends have in game girlfriends, and I have been "asked out" numerous times. I refuse, I see no point in it. If you'll never have a chance at something meaningful, why do it? I have a REAL girlfriend. That's more than enough for me. The part that annoys me the most is the drama that goes with it, people getting upset cause their bear broke up with them. Am I the only one who thinks this is pathetic? I'm looking for someone to either agree with me, or help me see the reasoning behind it. I'm open to both sides, please comment

StompArtist
10-12-2011, 04:10 PM
Let me know when you figure this one out because I am completely puzzled by this as well.

MimeRifle
10-12-2011, 04:15 PM
The rationale probably varies. For some, they may not have a RW relationship, and that helps fill the void. Others might view it as just another social angle to the game. Some might just be the promiscuous sort and take any chance they get to make a connection of any sort. Some might just look at it as another vanity item, trying to gather the most game "booty", to use a pun. I also wonder if it might be more typical of people from certain cultures. I notice differences in the way people communicate, not just the words they use, but the content, depending on where they are from. My only experience with it was someone asking me "have gf?", I said no - then I got an offer to be a big brother instead! lol! Different strokes for different folks? Different perceptions of how "real" the in-game life is? It's a thought provoking question.

StompArtist
10-12-2011, 04:16 PM
Considering that it is birds-bears and elves walking around it is also a very disturbing question. :D

MimeRifle
10-12-2011, 04:24 PM
hahaha!!! Oh, my... new game feature? Mating? What would the bird-bear baby look like??!? *shudder*

Phoenixking
10-12-2011, 04:28 PM
Maybe they fall in love with how the animal looks O.o....bestiality :O naaw lol jk but it would make more sense in SL just saying my thought XP so anyway some poeple do this for entertainment have fun with poeple yup yup i have seen it and well yup XD

Chickenman
10-12-2011, 04:30 PM
Does that make it bestiality? :p Lmao. But seriously, if all you care about is relationships, put down the game and get a real one, is my opinion...

Chickenman
10-12-2011, 04:30 PM
Lol I wrote the bestiality comment before I saw his :p

Chickenman
10-12-2011, 04:36 PM
StompArtist, it's good to know I'm not the only one confused. MimeRifle those are all semi valid points, thank you for the input, it is appreciated :)

Suentous PO
10-12-2011, 04:46 PM
Mah gawd, it's happened...

MimeRifle
10-12-2011, 04:49 PM

hahaha!!! Not as frightening as I expected! The bottom half looks more like Sasquatch... thanks for sharing!! Nice!

Uzikrabd
10-12-2011, 07:17 PM

Howd you get a pic of my sis lol jkjk and ikr in sl im just sitting there and girls like do you have gf,no, she says want one,no go away.lol

Haowesie
10-12-2011, 07:23 PM
I heard there were whole in-game virtual families too, well, virtual mums but haven't heard virtual dads... go figure Oo

RedRyder
10-12-2011, 07:26 PM
playing with people in a group that are a real life couple is so cool. ive played with a bunch of married couples as well. theyre always down to earth and never rude at all.
The whole meeting in game and only in game, then starting a relationship, is pretty weird. BUT, lets say they meet in game, exchange contact info, conversate outside the game, video chat, and eventually start a relationship, and ultimately meeting in the future, that'd be perfectly fine to me. There are couples that have met in MMO's and then get together or married in real life.

Physiologic met his fiance (or wife, i frgt :P) in maplestory and i belive theyre living together. Love can be found anywhere :)

but again, the meeting in game and only in game communication 'intimate' relationships is pretty freakin' weird

McBain
10-12-2011, 07:31 PM
I play PL to get away from my girlfriend. Oh, the irony...

BTW, I'm kidding.

Sort of. :chuncky:

Chickenman
10-12-2011, 07:35 PM
I agree that if you plan on meeting the person, that it's okay. But I'm talking thirteen year please that log on to stand next to an elf and pretend they are kissing them...that's weird... But if you find that you live near them, or can meet them somehow, it's perfectly fine. Like eharmony with swords and armor :p it's just a little weird when no commitment is involved... What if hotgurl530 is 38 year old guy? If you don't plan on meeting them, the idea seems a bit idiotic... Especially to get upset about when they end...there was no love in the first place, why be upset?

Suentous PO
10-12-2011, 07:52 PM
I found hotgurl530

Chickenman
10-12-2011, 08:07 PM
Yep, seems about right. So yeah, without connection and commitment, your "girlfriend" could be the WoW guy from south park.

Ixillicus
10-12-2011, 08:10 PM
People are just desperate I guess.

Ghastly
10-12-2011, 08:11 PM
Dude, my bear would go elvis presly on the enchantresses lol.

TheMatrixMan
10-12-2011, 08:13 PM
Lol online dating these days.....

Chickenman
10-12-2011, 08:16 PM
Desperate for what? Nothing can be gained from it... If those people were sensible they would put down the game and develop good relationships. If you are playing the game for love, then why use a game? Go out and find the real thing, don't waste your time in the fruitless fashion that I observe every day in game..

Chickenman
10-12-2011, 08:18 PM
I'm just trying to find out how a virtual date is better than a real one in ANY way...

Whirlzap
10-12-2011, 08:24 PM
Omg is this an online dating thread for PL?
why isnt parf and woundy on first page?
Slow guys, gotta be faster

StompArtist
10-12-2011, 08:25 PM
I'm just trying to find out how a virtual date is better than a real one in ANY way...

Probably harder to lie about your awesome physique on a real date. lol

Chickenman
10-12-2011, 08:33 PM
Lol good point stomp, but that doesn't make an online date more productive. You're just lying to be able to say you're dating a virtual elf in Kansas. If you want the dating experience, you gotta get used to people knowing who you really are. I know everything about my girlfriend (who is real, btw ) and she knows everything about me. That's how real relationships work, and how it should be.

WoundedEagle
10-12-2011, 08:48 PM
Hey sorry for the no comment. In-game girlfriends never work out bro. I have had a few in may day and you can flame me if you want. No good comes from it. But hey, It's all about happiness right? Yeah, I moved on and fell in love with an amazing girl. It is all about priorities. Most likely the reason people go searching for Gf's or Bf's is because of a few reasons:
1. They're lonely and don't quite know the meaning of love yet.
2. They're young and just looking for a hook-up.
3. Thy're just, different.
Yeah, there are a lot of reasons. Best bet is not to flame a lonely or adolescent person unless they are being vulgar and using profanity not suitable for children. I say ignore the annoying, save your texting fingers for the good.

-we

RedRyder
10-12-2011, 08:59 PM
^^ I wanted to rep this but I hit my 24hr cap :(

*imaginary thanks!*

Chickenman
10-12-2011, 09:29 PM
Thanks eagle, that's exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for :) it's good to know I'm right in thinking it won't work out, but it's also good to know that there is some semi-logical reasoning behind it

PL Lover
10-13-2011, 04:54 AM
All across the universe every boy and every girl
is looking for this thing called love...

;)

LoveMadrid
10-13-2011, 05:09 AM
I found hotgurl530

ROFLMAO ! thats the WoW nerd from the WoW special from South Park :D

Haha
" If we dont stop him, it will be the end if the world... Of warcraft" :D that ones classic

MimeRifle
10-13-2011, 12:30 PM
lol! Classic indeed!

This thread got me thinking though... if I did have a "virtual" girlfriend in PL/SL, I'd better be getting ready for Sweetest Day this Saturday! What does one give one's PL/SL e-sweet on Sweetest Day? A nice staff? A squid buddy? A set of custom meganaut armor? Just giving credits would be the in-game equivalent of a gift card in real life... lol, not nearly enough thought or preparation going into it.

What would be an appropriate gift?

StompArtist
10-13-2011, 12:31 PM
lol! Classic indeed!

This thread got me thinking though... if I did have a "virtual" girlfriend in PL/SL, I'd better be getting ready for Sweetest Day this Saturday! What does one give one's PL/SL e-sweet on Sweetest Day? A nice staff? A squid buddy? A set of custom meganaut armor? Just giving credits would be the in-game equivalent of a gift card in real life... lol, not nearly enough thought or preparation going into it.

What would be an appropriate gift?

For a man: Hooch hat.
For a woman: Witch broom.

AH!

Navygreen
10-13-2011, 12:34 PM
LOL @ the OP. I think that's so funny!! :kiwi-fruit:

hahaha!!! Oh, my... new game feature? Mating? What would the bird-bear baby look like??!? *shudder*

O. M. G. :highly_amused:

wvhills
10-13-2011, 12:49 PM
if a bear and elf hooked up it would be a half bear-half elf (bealf). If a bird and elf hooked up it would be a half bird/half elf (birlf). If a bealf and a birlf hooked up the result would be an....

Navygreen
10-13-2011, 12:58 PM
lmao.

MimeRifle
10-13-2011, 12:58 PM
Oyster!!!!!!! Ftw!

Chickenman
10-13-2011, 02:53 PM
Lol good stuff guys, I never expected to get so much humor out of this post :)

Chickenman
10-13-2011, 02:54 PM
Elfbearbird. Or bearbirdelf... Birdelfbear? Screw it, manbearpig.