PDA

View Full Version : Spacetime Studios Ushers in the Future of Cross Platform Gaming

Samhayne
10-13-2011, 11:55 AM

Star Legends: The Blackstar Chronicles to Unite Mobile and Desktop Gamers
Spacetime Studios has ported their mobile 3D MMO game, Star Legends, to Native Client (NaCl) open-source technology thus enabling PC and Mac players to join Android and iOS players for the first time in gaming history.

Pocket Legends, Spacetime Studios’ flagship title, was the world's first mobile 3D MMO. It was also the first global, multiplayer game to play across both Android and iOS platforms simultaneously. Star Legends: The Blackstar Chronicles will break new ground by being the first 3D MMO to allow players on mobile devices to join their friends on computers when it launches on Google Chrome.

Spacetime Studios worked closely with Google Chrome engineers to bring Star Legends to the Chrome web browser. This game industry milestone was accomplished through the use of the NaCl which allowed Spacetime Studios to run native C++ code inside a sandboxed environment within the Chrome browser. The NaCl supports 3D graphics, stereo audio and local file access which means more advanced games can be created for the browser.

“This is a significant landmark in the fulfillment of our mission to create a social gaming ecosystem where people play together regardless of device or location,” says Anthony Sommers, Co-Founder and Chief Technical Officer, Spacetime Studios. “We’re thrilled that Star Legends will be the first Native Client game released on the Chrome Web Store.”

Star Legends: The Blackstar Chronicles is a sci-fi mobile MMO set in a far corner of our galaxy during the 41st century. In this initial Star Legends installment, human privateers travel to the UCS Blackstar, a massive colony ship, to answer the call of fame and fortune. Space-age humans battle against the alien threat known as the Vular, malfunctioning killer bots, and the greed of powerful corporations for resources, power and inter-galactic dominance.

Star Legends: The Blackstar Chronicles is the second title in the popular Legends franchise. The first game, fantasy themed Pocket Legends, is the world's largest mobile MMO with over five million downloads. Pocket Legends and Star Legends are both Powered By Spacetime (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/content.php?5-Tech).

AVAILABILITY
Star Legends: The Blackstar Chronicles will be free to download and play from the Chrome Web Store when Native Client support is publicly available. The game features optional microtransactions and virtual currency that can enhance the play experience with vanity items and costumes.

Yvonnel
10-13-2011, 01:02 PM
Sam,

Just to clarify, we will see Pocket Legends on Chrome too right???????

Hopes Light Eternal

Tapatalk'd from my PowerWashed Fascinate

Samhayne
10-13-2011, 01:27 PM
Sam,

Yes, after we get Star Legends out and working well, Pocket Legends will follow shortly thereafter!

Cascade
10-13-2011, 01:31 PM
Sam,

Yes, after we get Star Legends out and working well, Pocket Legends will follow shortly thereafter!

I can see it now---A PL event with the chrome logo on vanity shields!

WoundedEagle
10-13-2011, 01:35 PM
EPIC!!!

drewcapu
10-13-2011, 02:35 PM
I can see it now---A FB notifcation telling me robert needs help with Lion's Den!

StompArtist
10-13-2011, 02:38 PM
Corrected:

I can see it now---A FB notifcation telling me robert needs help!

Swimmingstar
10-13-2011, 03:02 PM
:watermelon: YES! It's Also going to be with PL!!! Did you make sure people can't cheat though?

SUPAPRODIGY
10-13-2011, 03:06 PM
Can we get it now????

Samhayne
10-13-2011, 03:07 PM
Can we get it now????

Not yet.

From the Availability section of the original post:

AVAILABILITY
Star Legends: The Blackstar Chronicles will be free to download and play from the Chrome Web Store when Native Client support is publicly available.

We are looking at making Star Legends available as a beta test for those with the beta version of Chrome 15, but that is still being worked out with Google.

csb
10-13-2011, 03:20 PM
I want to play it using Mozilla Firefox.

Anyway, why does it have to be a browser app? Is that just so you don't have to compile versions for Mac, Win XP, Win 7 x32, Win 7 x64, etc...

n00b13st
10-13-2011, 04:46 PM
I see - that answers my question from researching the Google Native Client and finding that it is supposed to be available in Chrome, which I'm using. Now to find out when 15 beta may come out... :calm:

Not yet.

We are looking at making Star Legends available as a beta test for those with the beta version of Chrome 15, but that is still being worked out with Google.

n00b13st
10-13-2011, 04:50 PM
WooHoo, thanks for the head's up! Installing Chrome 15 beta NOW! :eagerness:

I see - that answers my question from researching the Google Native Client and finding that it is supposed to be available in Chrome, which I'm using. Now to find out when 15 beta may come out... :calm:

Samhayne
10-13-2011, 05:02 PM
I want to play it using Mozilla Firefox.

Anyway, why does it have to be a browser app? Is that just so you don't have to compile versions for Mac, Win XP, Win 7 x32, Win 7 x64, etc...

Because a browser app does it for all those platforms (and more) in one fell swoop! Plus, it plays very well in Chrome!

As for Firefox, they don't offer the capabilities necessary - but Chrome does, hence our choice to make it work in Chrome.

SuperNas
10-13-2011, 05:05 PM
Can we get it now????

Not yet.

AVAILABILITY
Star Legends: The Blackstar Chronicles will be free to download and play from the Chrome Web Store when Native Client support is publicly available.

So were looking at a few more weeks. do you have any idea about how much memory it will use?

Archey
10-13-2011, 05:06 PM
Wow.... Just wow i remeber playing pl i April and saying this game will fail in a month. Let me tell you guys congrats, for all of this and i luv this game
(sam if your reading this read my pms!!!!!)

Tvis
10-13-2011, 05:06 PM
CAN'T WAIT!! It looks awesome! Hopefully there are some user-friendly keyboard shortcuts :)

n00b13st
10-13-2011, 08:55 PM
Chrome 15 beta installed now - sweet!

WooHoo, thanks for the head's up! Installing Chrome 15 beta NOW! :eagerness:

Roasty
10-13-2011, 08:57 PM
Well this'll be an adventure :D

n00b13st
10-13-2011, 09:00 PM
Oh - and...gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme! SL (and someday PL) with bigger screens? Mouse? Connected to my TV? Suh-WEEEET! (I'll have to get another TV for my wife.) Can you say SpaceTime party at my place? +1 STS!

KTpantyhose
10-13-2011, 09:03 PM
SERIOUSLY THANK YOU SAMHAYNE AND THE REST OF SPACE-TIME! I will be waiting eagerly for this release for my MacBook! <3

KTpantyhose
10-13-2011, 09:03 PM
Sam,

That would be lovely :))

KTpantyhose
10-13-2011, 09:09 PM
My 1 year old daughter added a comment when she got ahold pf my phone saying "add comment" (im editing it currently) not sure how to
Delete this on the iPhone app.. Sorry about that :(

KTpantyhose
10-13-2011, 09:15 PM
Downloaded and installed successfully chrome beta :)) !

TEPTEP
11-03-2011, 12:27 PM
come on guys when is it coming?

Pwnage502
11-26-2011, 07:01 PM
Please release Pocket Legends for Google Chrome right now!!! I have been wanting it so bad for weeks now, it needs to come out! Please please please! <3

Redbridge
11-26-2011, 07:11 PM
[inspiring quotes about patience]

[/inspiring quotes about patience]

I can't wait either but have found the move from iPad to Chrome difficult. Although i can see how it may be an improvement on smaller phone sized devices. I played the SL beta on a phone and struggle more than i have with Chrome.

Fingers Crossed it'll be soon...

Dashbroo
06-12-2014, 06:42 PM
Why haven't we gotten any content on SL by now >.>

Sariita
06-12-2014, 06:55 PM
Why haven't we gotten any content on SL by now >.>
Woah, Nice necro o.o

Arpluvial
06-12-2014, 10:27 PM
I am going to go ahead and lock this thread as it is a necro post from 2011.