PDA

View Full Version : The end of the PL economy...

CrimsonTalons
10-13-2011, 02:33 PM
Last week I wanted to make some Profit on glyphic blade steels but what was once 300k is now 200k in a week!!! Similar things are stating to drop by over 50% as well across the board in CS.

It makes for a very hard time for resellers. It's quite frustrating.

I'm wondering if I should still hold onto my few steels to see if prices go back up a little or give up and sell them taking the 100k+ hit because of everyone bringing the prices down now.

There are ups and downs to this discussion depending on who u are and what u want from the CS. I just want to hear opinions. On one hand I'm mad I am losing money...on the other hand, getting the more expensive glyph stuff is starting to be a distinct possibility now....

Flickz
10-13-2011, 02:36 PM
Doesnt this all just mean items are easier for casual players to get which makes it harder for people to get rich it doesnt sound like the end of the economy to me.

Darkfader
10-13-2011, 02:41 PM
Prices dropped because of announcement about upcoming mt. Fang campaign. Nothing dramatical happened.

darkfussion
10-13-2011, 02:49 PM
That's just the start, if they release any old tradable holiday content back into the game many many items will lose value to almost nothing. I really hope sts brings out new tradable content.

drewcapu
10-13-2011, 02:50 PM
Trying to make a profit reselling crafting items can be like trying to make a profit reselling Google stock...

You better have some great timing.

Hankomachos
10-13-2011, 03:32 PM
Trying to make a profit reselling crafting items can be like trying to make a profit reselling Google stock...

You better have some great timing.

This.
I once bought a custom leather recipe; thinking i could make some gold off of it, and it never sold. Timing is indeed a major factor. Take doom weapons for example; when they first came out, people were selling them for over a million, but as time passed and there was more supply the prices (drastically) dropped. :)

Phoenixking
10-13-2011, 03:37 PM
200k! :P

ghost.mw
10-13-2011, 03:40 PM
Not really prices goes up and down all the time so if something new comes up the old stuff will get cheaper +when everyone gets the same thing they all want to sell it as fast as they can so they will sell cheaper than you

csb
10-13-2011, 03:44 PM
You have to be smart about reselling. New stuff goes up in value and hits a bubble as supply begins to match demand. Then, prices start to drop. You will lose everything if you try to buy up the supply to keep prices artificially high.

Nick41324
10-13-2011, 03:53 PM
Steel blades should go down to about 50k max by the time new campaign releases and who knows about full demonic... Maybe 1mil for a set MAX?

Kelstrick
10-13-2011, 03:57 PM
Given that Mt Fang has been announced for Nov, you may want to seriously consider trying to unload the steels and minimize your loss in advance of the weekend when it seems that prices fall as more players are online. I believe Wall Street has a saying about "Don't fight the trend" and unfortunately the trend has turned against you.

Edit: Forgot to say, good luck on whatever course of action you chose. I appreciate what you're trying to do and that you're passionate about the game!

pastrychef
10-13-2011, 04:33 PM
Steel blades should go down to about 50k max by the time new campaign releases and who knows about full demonic... Maybe 1mil for a set MAX?

Why should blade steel be $50K and sets be $1M? Where are you getting these values? Shouldn't market forces such as supply and demand determine their value???

That being said, once the glyph and demonic items are no longer the end game items, demand will drop drastically.

CrimsonTalons
10-13-2011, 05:12 PM
indeed...and perhaps demonic sets will be in all our reaches.....

Ive decided to sell them......ill lose out but oh well....I was going to think about quitting the game today but ill see what mt. fang promises to bring

thanks for your opinions one and all....cheers!

xXDamonDXx
10-13-2011, 05:17 PM
New content comes along, or near to release, prices will drop simple as. ;)

Whirlzap
10-13-2011, 05:38 PM
No, it's all wrong people.
Market ALWAYS focuses on two things when it functions correctly, meaning no mislistings or errors.
1. Supply
Supply is the amount of stock CIRCULATING ACTIVELY throughout the game.
2. Demand
Demand is the factor of prices rising and dropping. Demand is normally effected by drop rate and by Developer Interferences.

Here's how the market pushes/pulls:
When Supply>Demand, prices fall.
When Demand>Supply, prices rise.

Remember, THIS is how normal items go. Not ultra-rare drops that drop so low that there is rather no real marketed price.
However market is not so easy and works THIS WAY:
This is why a new content is released, Demand>Supply at atleast a 3:1 ratio.
Prices will rise.
Prices will drop over farming.
Then people will farm more and then we have TWO POSSIBLE VARIABLES.
1. Demand=Supply
In which the demand is equal to the amount supply is wanted and the price that was dropping will become stable and sit there.
2. Demand<Supply
Supply will be too much than Demand and then prices continue dropping.

Then we have three variables.
1. Demand=Supply
After so much dropping, Supply will eventually be farmed less, and be equal to Demand again.

2. Supply>Demand
There will still be more supply, but the marketed price cannot drop any lower, and will stay FIXED at a low price.
3. Demand>Supply
This happens when a rare/discontinued item is considered rare again. Supply is unincreasble due to the item not coming back and prices will rise again.
This is the next step from Supply>Demand and Supply=Demand from Step 2.

And the last step:
1. Supply=Demand/Supply>Demand=Price Stable
In this final marketing price, the supply will be equal to the demand or the supply still is more than demand.
However prices will simply steadify to this level and stay around a 10% range of it.
2. Supply>Demand/Demand>Supply=Price Unstable
In this final step, prices will either start rocketing or falling again. This only happens when new content or a Developer Interference occurs.

^There. Listed the whole marketing process.
This is all that happens. Trust me.

ocagrevy
10-13-2011, 05:43 PM
Just farm lol i have 5pc demonic set a lot more cloector pinks and four times the gold than i did before nuris release. I didnt even sell my enchanted set. so keep your demonic cuz it will make lvling and farming in mt. Fang that much easier. Get new mt. fang pinks sell make money repeate :)

Nick41324
10-13-2011, 05:56 PM
Why should blade steel be $50K and sets be $1M? Where are you getting these values? Shouldn't market forces such as supply and demand determine their value???

That being said, once the glyph and demonic items are no longer the end game items, demand will drop drastically.
We'll see, I'm gunna take a screen shot and get back to u when maps come out.

Whirlzap
10-13-2011, 07:29 PM
I'm agreeing with Nick on this one.
Demonic sets were 5-6million a piece the first day.
They're around 2-3mil now rofl.
It'll downfall to 1mil per set or something.

I'm agreeing because these items become worthless.
No one wants items that aren't the best anymore.

Roc
10-13-2011, 07:35 PM
I'm agreeing with Nick on this one.
Demonic sets were 5-6million a piece the first day.
They're around 2-3mil now rofl.
It'll downfall to 1mil per set or something.

I'm agreeing because these items become worthless.
No one wants items that aren't the best anymore.

I want the second best items! heehee (~not meant to sound like a creepy laugh~) :kiwi-fruit:

pastrychef
10-13-2011, 07:35 PM
No, it's all wrong people.
Market ALWAYS focuses on two things when it functions correctly, meaning no mislistings or errors.
1. Supply
Supply is the amount of stock CIRCULATING ACTIVELY throughout the game.
2. Demand
Demand is the factor of prices rising and dropping. Demand is normally effected by drop rate and by Developer Interferences.

Here's how the market pushes/pulls:
When Supply>Demand, prices fall.
When Demand>Supply, prices rise.

Remember, THIS is how normal items go. Not ultra-rare drops that drop so low that there is rather no real marketed price.
However market is not so easy and works THIS WAY:
This is why a new content is released, Demand>Supply at atleast a 3:1 ratio.
Prices will rise.
Prices will drop over farming.
Then people will farm more and then we have TWO POSSIBLE VARIABLES.
1. Demand=Supply
In which the demand is equal to the amount supply is wanted and the price that was dropping will become stable and sit there.
2. Demand<Supply
Supply will be too much than Demand and then prices continue dropping.

Then we have three variables.
1. Demand=Supply
After so much dropping, Supply will eventually be farmed less, and be equal to Demand again.

2. Supply>Demand
There will still be more supply, but the marketed price cannot drop any lower, and will stay FIXED at a low price.
3. Demand>Supply
This happens when a rare/discontinued item is considered rare again. Supply is unincreasble due to the item not coming back and prices will rise again.
This is the next step from Supply>Demand and Supply=Demand from Step 2.

And the last step:
1. Supply=Demand/Supply>Demand=Price Stable
In this final marketing price, the supply will be equal to the demand or the supply still is more than demand.
However prices will simply steadify to this level and stay around a 10% range of it.
2. Supply>Demand/Demand>Supply=Price Unstable
In this final step, prices will either start rocketing or falling again. This only happens when new content or a Developer Interference occurs.

^There. Listed the whole marketing process.
This is all that happens. Trust me.

That's what I said three posts above yours.

nmyxspaceship
10-13-2011, 08:35 PM
Yeah crazy pice drop I saw a demonic armor for like 800k!(Havent looked at post yet:P)

Whirlzap
10-13-2011, 09:02 PM
Pastry, then you're a smart guy.
However IMO Elaboration>Concisivness
Or is it the other way around.

Nightarcher
10-13-2011, 10:01 PM
Pastry, then you're a smart guy.
However IMO Elaboration>Concisivness
Or is it the other way around.

Depends on how helpful the extra information is. :)

--

Anyways (back on topic), here are 3 major things that I would say run the economy:

1.) Supply & Demand (duh)
2.) Gold Accumulation & Inflation
3.) Paranoia

I won't bother elaborating on the first any more. Y'all got that covered. ;)

The second is pretty simple: people like to save up and increase their wealth. It's natural, but without enough equipment/supplies to buy at higher levels, everyone accumulates tons of gold. Ergo, inflation: the value of gold goes down.

The last one is not as impactful, but it can grind prices into the ground regardless of the supply/demand. People want to have the best price to sell fastest, leading to undercutting in the CS and dramatic price drops. This is more temporary, because often, intelligent buyers who follow prices can buy and resell for the usual price after the selling-spree wears out.

So... yep that's about it. Most people already know this, but I hope I may have enlightened someone. :)

Gaddy
10-14-2011, 05:12 AM
What I find annoying is that there only ever seems to be ONE end game set worth having, and it always seems to change, depending on what the most recent content is. New content, new Million gold items. YAWN!

It gets a little predictable after a while.

How about some new "top level" sets available in the older campaigns, themed appropriately?

At the very least we would have many fewer all lvl 60 parties all dressed in purple...

adidaman
10-14-2011, 05:22 AM
New camphaigns drop prices. Simple as that