PDA

View Full Version : Commando Offensive Build & Feedback

Heavensblade
10-14-2011, 12:09 AM
Hello Star Legends community =]
Did you ever ask yourself...
-How do I kill these droid bots faster?
-How am can I help the entire group survive?
-What role do I play as a commando?
If you have similar questions you came to the right place!

1)First of all, commandos always play the role of a tank( in other words you stay in the front lines and shield others with your own body)
No matter what skill build you have, commando is more capable of being tank. They have the highest amount of health, Hp regen, and armor.
Without hesitation you should be the first one to charge into a mob of enemies instead of waiting for the operative or engineer to make
a move.

2)Second of all, keep in mind that everything I say is only feedback from experience. I do not expect you to believe everything I say, but I
have decided to share my opinion in order to level the playing field when it comes to doing exp runs with or without friends.

My commando is Heavensblade, a lv31 with short temper lol jk here are my current skills and stats
http://i969.photobucket.com/albums/ae178/kallenfan/0646864c-1.jpg

Unfortunately I have experienced my first death today. I cant clearly confirmed if it was a glitch or not but I had full health, was spamming stimpacks
and suddenly died =(
http://i969.photobucket.com/albums/ae178/kallenfan/5f7088d5-1.jpg

Why did I choose these skill?
-Simple, I wanted to run through every stage like a bulldozer

What are its strengths?
-Using it correctly can kill anything fast, be it a single enemy or a large mob.

What are its weaknesses?
-High dosage of mana stimpacks due to the accelerated use of skills( This is a good time to think if u want to kill faster and sacrifice money, or
kill slower but save money).
-Vigor taken out so no HP regen, either trust your eng or carry HP stimpacks.
-Increase Mass also taken out, no more +300 armor buff. In my opinion its a good tanking skill, however it uses mana in order to save some HP.
having a high amount of health and armor is enough to keep you alive once youre lvl30. Even without a shield you're still a greater match compared
to an eng or op with shield.

HOW DO I USE THESE SKILLS EFFECTIVELY?
1. You probably noticed that the lv28 skill Back Breaker does a combo if the enemy is knocked down and timed correctly. Well, having neutron stomp and singularity will make that easier. You can even combo it with another commando using those 2 skills or an operative using lurch to push the enemy down.
If you dont know what combo does, its actually the damage of back breaker multiplied by 3. its very effective on enemies with high HP.
*Note: Nearly all mini bosses can be knocked down, but Bosses like the Guardian or Director cannot be pushed down therefore it will not do a combo, but its still a useful skill since it has a 5 second downtime with 20-40dmg+taunt.

2. When you're about to come across a large group of monsters you are depended on distracting and eliminating or lowering their HP. Almost every offensive skill the commando has inclundes taunt. You may think you're unlucky to have it but it will help keep engineers and operatives survive since most of the enemies will focus on attacking you. It is only right to be the primary target because you have the most HP and armor. and when the enemies are knocked down by your stomp or singularity, it stops them from attacking for a short period of time. however if u alternate the use of stomp and singularity correctly you can keep keep knocking the enemies down at the moment they stand back up. This will help save some of you and your teammates HP.

3. Many people are confused wether or not to get kinetic reservoir. It is actually a useful skill but only if you use it right. At maxed level it uses 0 energy, +10 mana regen for 5seconds, +35 damage for 2 seconds after the 5 second regen, but -10 damage during the mana regen. The best time to use this skill is to anticipate the point when you reach the next group of enemies to avoid the -10dmg and only benefit from the mana regen and +35 damage. If you time it correctly you can apply 2-3 skills within that 2 second buff. For example, use Singularity first since it has a delay in activation, then use stomp and back breaker both skills are used once the icon is clicked so it is perfect. Imagine, if u have are dealing about 75 damage with back breaker on a certain enemy it would be 225 damage with combo, but with kinetic reservoir its a stunning 75+35 damage x3 which deals a greater amount of damage.
*Note: these calculations may differ depending on which enemy you are encountering.

4. Now the most important skill to use with steps 1 and 3 is Growing Rage( It gives +60% critical chance for 15 seconds, but has a 60 sec. downtime)
Since it is effective for a good 15 seconds it give you plenty of time to use everything you have and if you're fingers are fast enough maybe twice.
Going back to step 3: I said that kinetic reservoir + back breaker combo is would be 75+35 x3 = 330 damage. well If you do a critical then it would multiply by 2 once more and be a total of 660 damage!!!

Why i distributed certain skill points like the picture above?
-First of all Force Hammer may be quick because of the 5 second cooldown but it doesnt combo like back breaker. Its fast but mostly you need it for increasing you're taunting abilities.
-You only need 1 point on stomp because you only need it for its knockdown effect. putting it to 6 is pointless because it lacks attack power and has a very short range. The 8-second cooldown is good though.
-1 point on Gravitation slam because you need it for slowing the enemy down and taunting. also has a 8-second cooldown. 6 points is unnecessary because its better to save the points for something of more use.
-6 Points on Growing Rage because its 10% crit per level so in order for it to be more effective you must increase its level.
-6 Points on Back Breaker because it will make the combo even stronger and you will be using it very often.
-5 Points on Singularity since it has a wide range, high attack power, taunts, and most importantly knockdown.
-The 4 remaining points will go on gravity well because it has a wide range and it pulls the enemies closer. It also has the highest attack power compared to all the other AoE skills. (5 Points if you are lvl31).
*If you are wondering why I didnt get Nebula, it is because the range is short, so if the enemy pushes you away from itself it wont be as effective. But you can still tweak this build by switching gravity well for nebula.

This brings us to the end of this session. I hope that it will help many commandos out there because this build helped me a lot. It has taken me a long time to finally stick with a certain build. I probably redistributed my skills about 5 or more times by now. As I have said before this was all gained from experience. I have been playing this game 2 weeks after it came out. I don't expect you to follow me just because im on top of commando leaderboard but If you have any questions feel free to ask me anytime =] You can contact me on any of these characters : Heavensblade, Lostmemories, or Nagisachan

Heavensblade
10-14-2011, 12:17 AM
arg hope no one sees the typing errors i was rushing this T_T

darrylriessen
10-14-2011, 12:47 PM
yep i saw them..... sorry.

but i think it is a good guide for the commandos.:victorious:

Heavensblade
10-14-2011, 02:16 PM
yep i saw them..... sorry.

but i think it is a good guide for the commandos.:victorious: lol, well if you need any more help ask me, im giving out free lv30 epic gear and weapons for all classes as a christmas gift.

Ghastly
10-14-2011, 02:44 PM
Wow this is a great build. I'm trying to look at all the builds on the forums and make sort of a combo. But if that doesn't work I will. Definitely use this because I like tanking.

javier995
10-14-2011, 02:56 PM
Well i looked at as you asked me to, and all i can say is.. WOW! lol All of you guys make such great guides, i have some too but can't put everything you guys do. Well anyways awesome guide:)

Heavensblade
10-14-2011, 05:29 PM
Well i looked at as you asked me to, and all i can say is.. WOW! lol All of you guys make such great guides, i have some too but can't put everything you guys do. Well anyways awesome guide:) I could have put up more information though lol. Ill make sure to update it when lv cap goes up, but im happy to hear it helped =] I also just finished an operative build right now if you have an operative you should check it out.

jMachina
10-14-2011, 11:38 PM
why only 5 points in KR and singularity? If your move is to leverage the KR boost with sing/backbreaker, why not go all in?

6 points in KR, singularity, backbreaker, rage. That leaves 3 points for gravity well. Still 1 point for hammer/stomp/slam.

Or you could do 6 points in graviton slam and give up gravity well / hammer / stomp. That way you could sneak graviton slam into the KR damage bonus.

So you'd throw KR, wait a few seconds, then follow up with singularity/slam, and then backbreaker when their down. you would have 2 taunt moves in this case, unless backbreaker taunts.

Also, does singularity need to be started during the 2 second KR window, does it need to hit during the 2 second KR window, or both?

Heavensblade
10-15-2011, 02:20 AM
why only 5 points in KR and singularity? If your move is to leverage the KR boost with sing/backbreaker, why not go all in?

6 points in KR, singularity, backbreaker, rage. That leaves 3 points for gravity well. Still 1 point for hammer/stomp/slam.

Or you could do 6 points in graviton slam and give up gravity well / hammer / stomp. That way you could sneak graviton slam into the KR damage bonus.

So you'd throw KR, wait a few seconds, then follow up with singularity/slam, and then backbreaker when their down. you would have 2 taunt moves in this case, unless backbreaker taunts.

Also, does singularity need to be started during the 2 second KR window, does it need to hit during the 2 second KR window, or both?

Why only 5 points on KR? Because at lv5 the effects of it are 10mana regen and +30 damage. Lv6 it still has 10mana regen and only +35 more damage and I've leveled gravity well to 5 because it gains the highest amount of attack on those levels. Singularly only gains +5 more damage to lv6. Combo is depended on Back breaker, not the damage the knockdown skill gives. You can have singularity at level 1 and it would still be effective. However there have been rumors that update will be on holloween. It will be lv36 cap and you can use those points to finally max singularity, KR, and gravity well.

Heavensblade
10-15-2011, 02:45 AM
One more thing machina, you use singularity and gravity well before the 2 second buff. Just in time so they activate during the 2nd buff. Then you can use stomp and back breaker during the 2nd buff. If you are running on mobs most of then would be close to or have been defeated by now. Then you can use your extra skills: hammer & slam to finish them off. Either you use gravity well with the 2 second KR buff combo, or use this alternation: gravity well, slam, stomp, then back breaker. I vary my skills depending on which is available. Then since breaker will most like be the first to recover, and you still have singularity available since it wasnt used in the gravity, slam, stomp, breaker combo you can click on singularity by the time back breaker is about 60% on it's cooldown and you will be just in time to use back breaker combo.

abbasjammmy
10-15-2011, 02:58 AM
Just asking why are you tanking if ends and opps have over 600 armor at your level is it because of the life and regen

Heavensblade
10-15-2011, 04:26 AM
Just asking why are you tanking if ends and opps have over 600 armor at your level is it because of the life and regen okay not only that you have way more HEALTH and HP regen but have you also noticed you have the highest amount of DODGE at lv30? If you have a dodge implant with full lv30 set I believe you will have 21% dodge and if you have stunt harness it will be 23% dodge. That makes you a better candidate for tanking :)

Heavensblade
10-15-2011, 04:29 AM
My mistake on typing. If you have dodge implant and lv30 set it will be 23% dodge and if you have STUNT HARNESS you can increase to 25% :] sometimes I'm typing too fast I don't look back lol.

Cabero
10-15-2011, 04:41 AM
My mistake on typing. If you have dodge implant and lv30 set it will be 23% dodge and if you have STUNT HARNESS you can increase to 25% :] sometimes I'm typing too fast I don't look back lol.

If you use the plat cannon it has 4% dodge. I use it and just a regular comm set and I have 27% dodge.

Heavensblade
10-15-2011, 04:50 AM
If you use the plat cannon it has 4% dodge. I use it and just a regular comm set and I have 27% dodge. yea that works well :) but I think I would rather spend that 10 plat for 75 more stash spaces or 100 more inventory spaces. I tend to avoid buying platinum items since they will be useless when you level up. If only you can trade or auction them!!!!! Lol

Glasher
10-15-2011, 03:56 PM
Now my commando is my alt but I would think the 5 in Singularity would be better used in Nebula. Damage wise it seems like the better choice. I only second guess the Cooldowns, and how it effect your combo rate. If that creates a significantly greater amount of damage then yea, but Nebula seems like a better choice.

Well > Nebula > Stomp > Breaker

Does Growing Rage effect each tick of Nebula? If so it is definitely the better choice, I would think.

I might have missed it I will reread the OP and other threads but does the rifle really outperform the AoE splash of a cannon? Wouldn't it factor into the build?

Heavensblade
10-15-2011, 05:39 PM
Glasher, first of all Singularity is better because when stomp is not available to use for combo breaker you have singularity as an extra hand. If you want nebula I suggest u take out gravity well. You probably don't like singularity because you use cannons instead of rifles. For this build rifle is the best one. Why? Because rifles have the highest BASE ATTACK and higher base attack means every skill that you use will give off MORE damage. Cannons aren't as useful as they were anymore. In Numa the enemies were mostly close-combat type( they have to get close to attack you). Most of the mobs would gather in one area, making cannons very useful. however now in Slouch-O cannons aren't as effective anymore. Why? Because the enemies are more spread apart, some of them can't be pulled by gravity well, and most of them explode and push you away. When they push you away, your nebula won't reach them anymore.

Glasher
10-15-2011, 06:38 PM
I have been using well/nebula in slouch-o and the majority of the time its other players knocking them away from me. When I'm knocked around I just go back its really not that hard. The few enemies that don't move I move the rest to them.

By simply placing the effort from pinning into controlling the enemies whereabouts whether you bring to them or they all move nebula just doesn't add the taunt singularity does and accounts for much more overall damage, even more so in conjunction with a cannon.

I understand why the rifle is picked. I would say switch to it when you reach bosses, or if your fast enough when you get to the tougher mobs in the trash mobs. But in terms of going offense nebula beats out singularity imo. The moment you decide to deviate from what a class is supposed to do is when you have to stop focusing on being able to do both. You can still tank with nebula well and stomp. But since you don't have the same tools you might as well focus more on being a DPS commando. Which IMO could pump out more damage per second on trash than any other class. I feel a well specced DPS comm would take out a mob of 5 or 6 at least 2 seconds faster than an Operative. Single target dps is great but AoE is much more useful in this game.

While an Engineer having at least Emp Rev Trans is a must, a commando does not HAVE to have any tanking skills. If singularity is primarily for Knockdown than 1 point is all you need really.

Again these are just my thoughts, its a solid build. When I think of an Engineer or Commando who decides not to be a pure class restriction I find most people still try to do both. It's unnecessary, very often there will be another person who can tank. What do we need 2 tanks for? There are no bosses or trash mobs that require a separate tank or even a back up. And like you stated, the majority of a commandos move have taunt. Since you are built to burn stims ne ways you can still tank until one shows up. Bosses might be hairy but meh.

My thoughts are scattered, I apologize I am doing to many things at once lol

Heavensblade
10-15-2011, 07:45 PM
Lol it's fine. Well first I would like to say that no matter what build you read online, it shouldnt change your opinion on the build you are more comfortable with. Nebula has a 30 sec downtime which means it can only be used on certain times. Sometimes when you want to use it, you can't. While singularity it can be used everytime u come across a mob. Nebula hits 5 times but will take 10 seconds for that to happen. Usually all the monsters would have been defeated before it's done ticking. The only time it gets activated full is usually on mini bosses which is very helpful. However as you have admitted also, other players push the enemy away too. For nebula to be effective the enemy must stay within the 6m range. But if u truly desire to use nebula the best skill to switch it with is gravity well.

For this build Atomic Disperser and Black Widow out runs the Gravitation Ripper because they have higher BASE attack. Cannons have the lowest base. Look at it this way. Atomic disperser has 95 BASE attack with eagle eye implant. Gravitation Ripper only has 79 BASE attack with the same implant. So if you use Back Breaker Combo with rifle it would be 95+(20-40) multiplied by 3( effect of combo) = 345-405 damage. Now if you use gravitation ripper it would only be 79+(20-40) multiplied by 3 = 297-357damage. Having this overpowered combo can match up with an operative's single targeting abilities. It helps take out enemies faster.

But still if you feel most comfortable with your build stick with it :]

Glasher
10-15-2011, 08:06 PM
Its contradicting!

Your built for AoE and focusing on single target DPS?

Your math is correct but it completely counters the point. You will do less damage to ONE target but more OVERALL damage to many targets. Cooldowns aren't a problem. In fact I would rather have a skill every 30 seconds than scattering everything around. All other classes can potentially lose their DPS and strategy because of a mistimed or placed wall pin sending everything awry.

Ideally I think I will

1 3 0 1
1 0 0 6
6 6 6 -

making Stomp 4 at 31 damage implant and splash cannon for full aoe effectiveness and matching purposes. I commend you if your properly timing KR. I gave up! hammer slam really for when your the only commando at a boss. The rest of the build will hold a good amount of attention.

Singularity would really just stand for an "oh snap get off me, "oh snap get off my engi/op/team," and I won't lie for the occasional "lulz."

The logistics of my build is based off yours, not much different.

Heavensblade
10-15-2011, 08:26 PM
Lol. Yea it's both AoE and Single targeting :) thank you for your post I'm sure it will help other people who are having trouble on which skills to use. One problem with timing KR is that someone people play this on a 2G or 3G and they might experience lag so they won't be able to use it correctly. I have 4G so it's effective for me. The build you have is good too :) 1 point on singular is still good. Youre only after the knockdown. I still like kinetic though lol. Make sure to respond again when I repost for lv36 build.

jMachina
10-17-2011, 11:52 AM
Shouldn't matter even if you're on edge / 2g. You just need to figure out the timing. There will still be a 2 second window, you just have to figure out when it is.

I'm not sure how the game handles ping, if it does some sort of latency modeling or what. I usually have 200-350 ping on 3g, but even on a very fast connection my ping doesn't get better than 200.

It shouldn't make much of a difference. I think the 2 second window probably begins right when you think it does (when KR electricity animation snaps finished) regardless of how you connect.

Even if it's off for slower connections, there should still be a 2 second window to launch attacks, you'll just either have to compensate for the latency yourself and start earlier than it appears you should, OR the game has latency compensation modeling and you should launch attacks when it appears you should.

Slant
10-18-2011, 06:40 AM
Ive seen you play! even more than that I saw you on the leaderboards, and your ratio was why I started my own zerodeaths. Btw you jumped into my game on an alt at dmc. I died soon after because of a powercut... but you have waaaay too many kills so ur prolly on despite the 1/2 cut in ratio, its just horrible that you died :( its horrible that during pingwells ur char cant do anything but die, I spam stims at such times but doesnt always help. I guess ur ratio is is still amazing enough haha I just wish for this feature: to set ur own ping timing for disconnection from the server, so you can keep it at a level comfortable for your connection, or how long your hp is going to last instead of the rediculous 300k - I have 4, 3 and 2 deaths on my chars mostly because of pingwells
Use more or less the same build on my level 30 commando, for much the same reasons, but got 6 gravity well and 6 nebula instead of the self buff, this is because I liked the effect and it used to kill npcs on blackstar :P I can tell that this build is optimised for energy usage, so the 5s actually make sense as against the all in approach (a bunch of 6s, you can shave the extra points for an additional skill). This particular build can be used to save stims as well, just stomp, well and singularity at these levels, is good enough for most creeps on all levels except the bosses, throw in backbreaker and anything more is excessive.
While a commando can certainly dole out damage, com is meant more for maneuvering and controlling the battle than dps, so I wouldnt worry about getting an excessive damage with both self-buffs or skills, and focus more on how to clear the map and position enemies out of harms way to others (by others I mean ops). You can start doling out damage only after grabbing the enemie's attention and getting them where you want. Usually by this time if ur playing in a full run the creeps should have evaporated, so theres almost no time for damage or self buffs. The backbreaker combo should be enough. For example well stomp and singularity are good for positioning mobs wherever you want em, or plucking vulars off engies. This is one of the reason I use 5 Nubula, drains the enemies hp if your toe to toe with em. Another player told me this "find your own way with ur char" thingy and yeah thats important haha.

Acezero
10-18-2011, 10:41 PM
Had I continued my commando its how i would have done, but putting points into nebula, seeing as it. CAN CRIT. Aoe mando is the way to go, however I stopped at 25

Kahlua
10-19-2011, 06:07 AM
Almost exactly the same as my build when I was still running slouch-o frequently. I recently changed to a more AOE based build for farming outer limits for vanities (NONE SO FAR!*&!%@#%^!&#&@*!) which includes maxed nebula and drops kinetic reservoir (no hard enemies means I don't really need to spam skills to kill fast).

My only tweaks to your build was that I only used 1 point in back breaker, and NO points in force hammer, and put those 6 points into increase mass instead. I play very aggressively, and I always charge in first, regardless of my character type (gotta stop doing that on my ops :( lol). Although the increase of armor is only for like 5 seconds, I found that 5 seconds has saved me many times. Take outer limit runs for example. Even at level 30, when I'm pulling the groups at the first chest and all the surrounding mobs near the first 2 mini bosses, I'm getting shot by about 20 mobs. Without that extra 300 armor, I'd get killed every time when I round the turn to go back to my group. It helps with my play style a lot.

I didn't know about that back breaker combo giving 3x damage though. I knew about the combo obviously, just didn't know what it did. Can you confirm this 3x thing? Seems like that's too much :?

Acyer
10-19-2011, 07:16 AM
Nice heaven that's my same build.

Also pistols aka black widow does nice damage with back breaker.

Cyberius
10-19-2011, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the guide! Good info and well put together! I appreciate that you shared why you chose the skills you did and how you use them. I have a 27 Com and I was planning on a respec. You, and everyone here for that matter have helped tons! Thanks all around! :)

Jon Kendrick
10-20-2011, 12:36 AM
Ok, let me shed some light on heavensblade's recent... Accident. It was a terrible, terrible, event that left us all stunned... See, I was there, when it happened. That fateful day... On numa. I remember it like it was yesterday, the sky was foggy red and the numa dogs were barking. There was a certain buzz of haste in the air as me and my second officer anaroc were racing through the map to farm the gaurdian for guild giveaway prizes. He was grumpy that day. We had run through the level and at the end I tripped on the root of a maneating plant and a couple of vular tickers and 12 numa dogs ate my face... Anaroc was killed by the gaurdian. We respawned and ran through and died twice more. The whole time gathering the entire zones enemies in the same spot... We had no clue it was happening, and then... Heaven showed up. We were so excited to see her we forgot about our troubles and charged through with her. When they got to the ultra mob... It was to late. There were no survivors. Anaroc and heavensblade were killed instantly with no suffering. It was greed and that killed you heavensblade, not a super numa mob... Well that too but, really we are sorry. ~CLIPS~

p.s. pinkcatz says she is sorry for your loss too. She told me she checked the LEADERBOARDS every day watching you catch up to her and is really sorry it had happened.

Kahlua
10-20-2011, 07:01 AM
p.s. pinkcatz says she is sorry for your loss too. She told me she checked the LEADERBOARDS every day watching you catch up to her and is really sorry it had happened.

1 death = same KDR as 0 deaths :p