View Full Version : Pure DPS

Glasher
10-15-2011, 08:43 PM
How would it work out?

The build I would assume best is

6 6 0 1
0 0 0 6
6 0 6
(Leech or Pain at 5 if your still grinding 30)

Let alone the amazement other players would have your not spamming empathy, but that's not the point...:chargrined:

How well as a damage dealing build would this do. I'm pretty close to this on my Engineer except I'm still 616'd. I feel like dropping my support to just do damage would have surprisingly effective results!

Now I know, why not just be an operative?
Well most of us have alts so I can just play my operative but I personally don't like its play style. But also I can interchange back to pure support or hybrid support, or hybrid tank, or w/e I can come up with. Whats not to love, so I ask you why aren't you an Engineer? lol

Has anyone tried something like this? If so how did it go?

IBNobody
10-16-2011, 08:09 AM
Unless you always run with another engineer or run solo, dropping Empathy will hurt you socially.

Like it or not, people expect Engineers to heal with Empathy.

Hullukko
10-16-2011, 09:56 AM
How well as a damage dealing build would this do. I'm pretty close to this on my Engineer except I'm still 616'd. I feel like dropping my support to just do damage would have surprisingly effective results!

In addition to what IBNobody already pointed out, few points to consider:
- It doesn't add up. You have 31 points there, while my 31 engineer only has 30 skill points to spend.
- The only difference between that and my build, and the builds shown here by many others that have ditched protection, is that you've chucked 6 points from empathy to sonic boom, which is just simply too useless due to it's ridiculous cooldown.
- That kind of a build would be worse than a op or a commando in damage offensively and as such would not be a desirable companion even in the presence of another healing engineer. The only thing riding for it would be transference and that alone in my opinion would not be enough.

I get your point, but the thing you're going for just isn't there. Not with these skills and not when they're equally obtainable. If there were requirements to higher level damage spells and to get access to them you'd have to sacrifice something, then there might be a footing for a dps engineer, but the way things are now and the skills that are there it's a simple no-no.

EDIT: oops, looked and assumed wrong. the 6 is in pain. the point persists, though, ditching empathy for that is unwarranted. The pain gains so little and the empathy loses so much.

Glasher
10-16-2011, 11:26 AM
There are no points in sonic boom, its 6 wither/6 leech/6 pain/6 transference/1 revive/6decay,but since I added it up wrong -1 in leech or pain.

Spreading DoT's, Debuffing, 2 AoE's, 1 with a KD, 1 that heals. It would be a difficult overall task compared to an Op or a Comm, but seems like would really benefit a group.

I'm still working on the math but Leech isn't looking so good so it could turn to having 4 or 5 in Empathy.

I'll just have to try it out lol, just a theory atm