PDA

View Full Version : Why another game? Dark Legends Discussion.

Whirlzap
10-16-2011, 06:18 PM
I'm posting some thoughts on this.

I didn't even know STS was releasing a game. And I didn't even see this section of the forum.
But I want to say, why another game so early?

As you can see, SL STILL does not have some features shown in PL and can still use a lot of development.
However this original 12-person team is thinking of creating a new game.
Perhaps you should first put more into perfecting your first two games before deciding to make another so fast.
Star Legends has only been out for a few months. And with Dark Legends out, what is there to expect?
Star Legends was basically a rather rushed version of Pocke Legends. Same stuff. Same concept. Same features.
What else is there to make Dark Legends special? Is it just going to be the same repeat of Pocket Legends again?
Please understand this is a criticism post, not any way to troll STS.

We all know PvP is a major part of games. Yet, Star Legends doesn't even have PvP yet. Whoever knows when, this Dark Legend version will be out soon. And it will probably have tons of events and then have Pocket Legends still shoved in the back hand with Star Legends this time.

STS, perhaps you should concentrate/focus more on perfecting your current two games to the fullest? I know you could do ALOT more for PL, maybe host a few events or two instead of jamming a Windows Version of SL.
Remember, mediocre efforts will never beat a concentrated and firm attack.
As they say, this is why the laser is so powerful.
Think about quality. Perfecting PL and SL will make them more playable and in time bring more profit.
With more games, there will be more to fix and moderate and with a smaller crew, things would get out of hand. Is it really necessary to launch ANOTHER game? The quality of Pocket Legends is outstandingly good as well as Star Legends; each one has a different idea to base off of. However both are just duplicates of each other. Quality is always better than quantity. However recently I've noticed Pocket Legends is starting to lack the effort you guys used to put in there. Examples follow as, rushed campaigns being released, a low amount of quests, a seemingly lower-than-our-expectations level 61 Shield.
What it seems is that the games are more based on profit now. Pocket Legends, the new generic greens and oranges. Just repeats of AO3. And then Star Legends, simply a more ulterior move to repeat Pocket Legends. We have the same idea of gear. And crafting. And Daily Deal of course. And what? And maps. And vanities. What will make Dark Legends different, different from being Pocket Legends with a new name and identity? And have we seen any effort to host an event for PL lately that is PL-exclusive? It'll be sad to see the same things for Halloween as last year, and in turn the same Christmas things.

Dark Legends, now we have something new to expect. Hopefully it will be something that is completely different from Pocket Legends and establish more concepts in the MMO part. I'm not saying I want this game to be completely forgotten and never released, I'm simply saying that there should be more effort put into this before it is released to have the best effect it could. A fresh game has the best chance at attracting new players, and that's what I want to expect from Dark Legends.

Phoenixking
10-16-2011, 06:24 PM
Well the differenve is the genre O.o
Some poeple prefer killing aliens and looking like robotic poeple
Other like to look like animals weilding weapons and killing monsters
And others want to look gothic style and have more medievel genre style
And otheres want to be a rootin tootin cowboy boy! Lol :P

Lowlyspy
10-16-2011, 07:50 PM

The battle of Thermopylae refutes this, must sayin :/

m1k3ng0
10-16-2011, 08:00 PM
Well I heard it gone be different. Like there gone be 4 class,1 of class can summon zombie,monster,...etc and another can transform to "animal?...idk" which is sound really cool. I think sts should shut down SL, cuz PL and SL is base on same and sl is really bored to me ( don't hate on me I m just saying)

thefirehawk
10-16-2011, 08:01 PM
Yes we should get a little more time in sl

Samhayne
10-16-2011, 08:12 PM
Good point, Whirlzap.

The success of Pocket Legends and Star Legends has allowed us to increase our capabilities (we're up to 35 now and continuing to grow), allowing us to continue to develop both games and make new ones. A new campaign for Star Legends (Shipyard) is only days away, Halloween Events are kicking off and Mount Fang for PL is right around the corner. On the community side of things (my bailiwick) we have the Ambassador program coming, more contests rolling, next e-mail announcements coming, a revamp of the Spacetime website and all manner of exciting stuff in the work.

While we could just focus on making PL and SL the best they could be, having a suite of games for all sorts of gamers and genres has been shown time and again as a path to success. I have the luxury of sitting right next to the design team and get to overhear the different game ideas they kick around between playtesting, etc. Frankly, I'm soooo stoked to consider a future where we can bring all the different designs to life that they envision. There are more coming after Dark Legends!

maneatingtree
10-16-2011, 08:19 PM
Sweet even more after dark legends? As in how many more and is 35 ppl enough people to run 3+ games?

Flickz
10-16-2011, 08:26 PM
Im glad theres a new game coming unless its that empire of night game. I personally don't like sl i just can't get in to it but pocket legends is still fun tho just want something new

flyingscv
10-17-2011, 03:05 AM
I think you need to be careful to ensure that this is really a completely different game, as opposed to just a reskinned version of the existing offerings, albeit set in a different theme. Many examples abound in the business world where companies try to be clever in offering slightly different products without true innovation - these invariably fail and backfires on them. An example would be BMW in the 90s which was churning out identical looking cars be it the 3, 5, or 7 series. As Bob Lutz said, it was like ordering sausages cut in different lengths. Sales plummeted and BM learnt a valuable lesson not to take the easy way in product dev.

What a lot of us fear is that the latest game will be just another reskinned version with the same dynamics. What you need to consider is that this will further dilute your core gamer group, spreading them out into too many games, instead of attracting new gamers into your games. There will also be gamer fatigue, from perceiving that it is a rehash of the similar game. I think you will agree with me that it is the hardcore gamers, in a critical mass, that will drive casual gamers to the game. Loss of this hardcore group often spells the end of the game.

Hopefully this will be a completely different game which will attract a new generation of gamers to your game. But to do so, STS cannot take the easy way out and present rehashes. As a fan I hope you succeed on all fronts.

BodMaster
10-17-2011, 03:59 AM
Sweet even more after dark legends? As in how many more and is 35 ppl enough people to run 3+ games?

Western type Legends after Dark legends in the pipelines :p

Gazroast
10-17-2011, 10:26 AM
Good point, Whirlzap.

The success of Pocket Legends and Star Legends has allowed us to increase our capabilities (we're up to 35 now and continuing to grow), allowing us to continue to develop both games and make new ones. A new campaign for Star Legends (Shipyard) is only days away, Halloween Events are kicking off and Mount Fang for PL is right around the corner. On the community side of things (my bailiwick) we have the Ambassador program coming, more contests rolling, next e-mail announcements coming, a revamp of the Spacetime website and all manner of exciting stuff in the work.

While we could just focus on making PL and SL the best they could be, having a suite of games for all sorts of gamers and genres has been shown time and again as a path to success. I have the luxury of sitting right next to the design team and get to overhear the different game ideas they kick around between playtesting, etc. Frankly, I'm soooo stoked to consider a future where we can bring all the different designs to life that they envision. There are more coming after Dark Legends!

BAM! Holy Cow that's some info, this should be re-posted on Announcements!!

3xK
10-17-2011, 12:02 PM
There are more coming after Dark Legends!
Farm legends please!

lol

StompArtist
10-17-2011, 12:30 PM
I want to propose Squirrel Legends. Another SL but don right (with Squirrels) this time! :D

BodMaster
10-17-2011, 12:34 PM
I want to propose Squirrel Legends. Another SL but don right (with Squirrels) this time! :D

Your doing that random thing again.. you know what that means :O

StompArtist
10-17-2011, 12:36 PM
Your doing that random thing again.. you know what that means :O

Squirrels are never a random thing with me. :D

Growwle
10-17-2011, 12:41 PM
Good point, Whirlzap.

Yes, businesses that do not diversify, tend not to do well, unless they are subsidized by a special interest.

Weak_Sauce
11-04-2011, 08:55 AM
I'm posting some thoughts on this.

I didn't even know STS was releasing a game. And I didn't even see this section of the forum.
But I want to say, why another game so early?

As you can see, SL STILL does not have some features shown in PL and can still use a lot of development.
However this original 12-person team is thinking of creating a new game.
Perhaps you should first put more into perfecting your first two games before deciding to make another so fast.
Star Legends has only been out for a few months. And with Dark Legends out, what is there to expect?

Star Legends was basically a rather rushed version of Pocke Legends. Same stuff. Same concept. Same features.
What else is there to make Dark Legends special? Is it just going to be the same repeat of Pocket Legends again?
Please understand this is a criticism post, not any way to troll STS.

We all know PvP is a major part of games. Yet, Star Legends doesn't even have PvP yet. Whoever knows when, this Dark Legend version will be out soon. And it will probably have tons of events and then have Pocket Legends still shoved in the back hand with Star Legends this time.

STS, perhaps you should concentrate/focus more on perfecting your current two games to the fullest? I know you could do ALOT more for PL, maybe host a few events or two instead of jamming a Windows Version of SL.
As they say, this is why the laser is so powerful.

Think about quality. Perfecting PL and SL will make them more playable and in time bring more profit.
With more games, there will be more to fix and moderate and with a smaller crew, things would get out of hand. Is it
really necessary to launch ANOTHER game? The quality of Pocket Legends is outstandingly good as well as Star Legends; each one has a different idea to base off of. However both are just duplicates of each other. Quality is always better than quantity. However recently I've noticed Pocket Legends is starting to lack the effort you guys used to put in there. Examples follow as, rushed campaigns being released, a low amount of quests, a seemingly lower-than-our-expectations level 61 Shield.

What it seems is that the games are more based on profit now. Pocket Legends, the new generic greens and oranges. Just repeats of AO3. And then Star Legends, simply a more ulterior move to repeat Pocket Legends. We have the same idea of gear. And crafting. And Daily Deal of course. And what? And maps. And vanities. What will make Dark Legends different, different from being Pocket Legends with a new name and identity? And have we seen any effort to host an
event for PL lately that is PL-exclusive? It'll be sad to see the same things for Halloween as last year, and in turn the same Christmas things.

Dark Legends, now we have something new to expect. Hopefully it will be something that is completely different from Pocket Legends and establish more concepts in the MMO part. I'm not saying I want this game to be completely forgotten
and never released, I'm simply saying that there should be more effort put into this before it is released to have the best effect it could. A fresh game has the best chance at attracting new players, and that's what I want to expect from Dark Legends.

I couldn't have written it better myself, I agree with every point you made and have been thinking about all of this for a while. It just makes me sad ... Is this going to be PLs downfall?

BodMaster
11-04-2011, 09:53 AM
I couldn't have written it better myself, I agree with every point you made and have been thinking about all of this for a while. It just makes me sad ... Is this going to be PLs downfall?

The explantion that Sam gave, really explained all that was needed,

Good point, Whirlzap.

Can see DL being a big part of STS's franchise, esp with the more gore and adult themed etc ;)