PDA

View Full Version : Fantastic Idea. Worth reading!

Necrobane
10-18-2011, 01:28 AM
I was bored and suddenly thought of a great idea for Dark Legends. It appears that everyone wants it to be THE serious game by STS. My idea could also make for some hectic PvP.

My Idea, is that in dark legends, your skills and abilities are used by first tapping the spell button *conveniently placed* and then drawing a symbol on the screen. When you hit the "spell" button, the border of the screen blurs a little to make it obvious that you have hit the button. The idea is that the act of drawing a symbol replaces the cast bar. It also means that even once you hit the max level, you can always improve you casting skills/techniques. Lesser and more spam-able abilities would have much less complicated symbols to cast. E.G. say there's a werewolf class. This class so happens to have a maul ability as their medium damage no extra effect i.e spam-able ability. Since this ability is likely to be used very often, the action to perform this ability would just be something such as a 3 fingered swipe across the screen. Higher damage/ more potent abilities would require actions that take longer to perform, rendering the character useless as the cast (that's right folks, you heard it: STRATEGY.) For this to be fair for melee classes (stopping to use stronger moves would let a range character gain a lot of distance from you/ not being able to cast due to player being out of range) the melee class/classes would (as long last auto attack is up) follow their enemy around without a moment of delay (as seen in SL and PL). I propose that as an alternative to the delay, the melee class/classes run slightly slower when following enemies while in auto attack and have an ability such as "rush" that allows them to close any distance between them and their target within 3 seconds. This following while auto attacking proposal would not apply to range classes. Instead they would just stand still when a player hits auto attack, attacking when/if the targeted player enters their weapon range. This means that casting spells allows their enemies to catch them, but they continue auto attacking while abilities are being cast.

Pros:
1) It would require REAL skill.
2) Players would have to actually LEARN their classes.
3) Makes for some pretty awesome PvP.
4) Is different from other methods used in other mmo's - striking out and doing something very unique.
5) Would make the game a LOT of fun.

Cons:
1) Could be hard to implement.
2) Would require some playing around with to work smoothly.
3) Would mean trying something that no games have really touched base on.

Thoughts, comments? All are appreciated, just hoping people can be bothered reading it.

Necrobane
10-18-2011, 02:09 AM
*reserved for more content*

Necrobane
10-18-2011, 05:02 AM
No-one have any comments?

Trollee
10-18-2011, 05:27 AM
I like the idea a lot!
Reminds me a lot of a Star Wars game I once played where you had to swype certain patterns to use different force moves...Hmm...
Nonetheless, this would allow a lot more variance between the skilled players and the not-so-skilled players.
+1 =]

Ghastly
10-18-2011, 05:40 AM
Yeah like 100 new people join these games a day. Maybe the game should let you do PVP once you complete the first level or something,

ExperimentNebulaCore
10-18-2011, 05:45 AM
Not everyone has multi touch and not all multi touch works well like mine. But the idea is beast. Keep it coming!

Slant
10-18-2011, 08:07 AM
Hmm using shapes for casting is a novel idea for mmorpgs, but there are a thousand other such gameplay mechanics that can be incorporated into DL, and wont necessarily work better than the regular set of controls that we are familiar with... just tapping the enemies and choosing what to cast requires skill enough without having to trace a shape for drawing. The idea is great for touch screen games in general, but just seems a little too gimmicky for this format of game. Anyway, thats just my opinion sorry for the negative comment, maybe this is a great idea for a boss fight.

OrFeAsGr
10-18-2011, 08:20 AM
I have an other idea too about buffs...i'll post a thread :)

Gazroast
10-18-2011, 10:07 AM
STS is pushing for chrome support, so most of their games will eventually be PC too, which means touch-screen wont be the first option, however you could make movements with a mouse.
Reminds me of the Harry P****r games on the Nin**** Wi*, they made you "cast the spell".

I definitely think PVP should be a HUGE focus, especially with so many classes(Still waiting on this confirmed). Should make for well balanced play and alot of options. The ideas coming out are very exciting!

Necrobane
10-19-2011, 12:40 AM
Hmm using shapes for casting is a novel idea for mmorpgs, but there are a thousand other such gameplay mechanics that can be incorporated into DL, and wont necessarily work better than the regular set of controls that we are familiar with... just tapping the enemies and choosing what to cast requires skill enough without having to trace a shape for drawing. The idea is great for touch screen games in general, but just seems a little too gimmicky for this format of game. Anyway, thats just my opinion sorry for the negative comment, maybe this is a great idea for a boss fight. Keep in mind that I was not hinting that the current skill system is bad or not enough in any way. I simply think that with a bith of tweaking, this could be very unique :)

I like the idea a lot!
Reminds me a lot of a Star Wars game I once played where you had to swype certain patterns to use different force moves...Hmm...
Nonetheless, this would allow a lot more variance between the skilled players and the not-so-skilled players.
+1 =] Thankyou :)

Yeah like 100 new people join these games a day. Maybe the game should let you do PVP once you complete the first level or something, Good idea, maybe you should only be able to PvP at lvl 10. As it could take a while to learn the ropes :)

Not everyone has multi touch and not all multi touch works well like mine. But the idea is beast. Keep it coming! The move mentioned was just an example, no need for multi touch :)