View Full Version : Leaving at the Boss???!?

CanonicalKoi
10-18-2011, 10:37 AM
I know booting at the boss has been discussed a bazillion times, but what's up with all the folks *leaving* at the Boss? I ran in a bunch of PUGs this morning with two of my auto-level chars (level 28 both times). There would be a full group through "Commercial", we'd get to the Director and one or more people would bug out, usually level 30's. The last group I just ran with was 26, 27, 28 28 and 30 and the 30 left at the doorway, saying, "this boss sux". 'kay, I can see him thinking, "Level 20's, they don't know what they're doing....", but everyone did. All the platforms got covered every time. Even if someone(bodies) hadn't known, all he had to say was, "When it says 'time to act' get on a platform and do the emote indicated". It's not hard, people catch on quick and you get the chance to help someone who hasn't smacked the Director around before. Isn't that better than just quitting? Or, if they simply don't like a particular boss, don't do that level. It's better than leaving a group short-handed at the last minute. Maybe I need more coffee, 'cause I'm just not getting it. *shakes head sadly*

StompArtist
10-18-2011, 10:42 AM
Doing XP runs and not wanting to loose time on the boss? I guess...

Ardon
10-18-2011, 10:43 AM
I'm guilty of doing this.
The reason for that is the director has bad drops and I waste stims.
To me there's not enough pay off to justify the time and stims spent on him.

I can get better drops in the first 3 level bosses than the director.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Slant
10-18-2011, 10:43 AM
HAhaha yep that happens all the time, especially if you see a bunch of ill co-ordinated people at a guardian run, you know when they start rushing heedlessly they are gonna quit... usually start talking about something or the other in wasted itself if im running with umm... general public, small things like asking if engies have protection or ill get the explosives and such like... so by the time we hit director we are a group, still doesnt stop people from jumping into maps and leaving farmers do this at venom-scorcher all the time, and of course, the zerodeaths have a habit of skipping bosses, and thats when people dont leave to return quests... so this is gonna go on...

Yutani
10-18-2011, 10:45 AM
I too am befuddled by why folks dont like director bot. Other than the very annoying zoom in termination screen at the end that goes on for a gamer's eternity (5 seconds).

Its a nice challenge and breaks up slouch-o monotony, i think. I'll do runs with you if i'm on, Koi. Feel free to add me if you like.

Yutani

Slant
10-18-2011, 10:45 AM
HAhaha yep that happens all the time, especially if you see a bunch of ill co-ordinated people at a guardian run, you know when they start rushing heedlessly they are gonna quit... usually start talking about something or the other in wasted itself if im running with umm... general public, small things like asking if engies have protection or ill get the explosives and such like... so by the time we hit director we are a group, still doesnt stop people from jumping into maps and leaving farmers do this at venom-scorcher all the time, and of course, the zerodeaths have a habit of skipping bosses, and thats when people dont leave to return quests... so this is gonna go on... probably people would be willing to tackle guardian and director if there werent so many pure builds around requiring tons of stims, or if stims were cheaper

Ardon
10-18-2011, 10:50 AM
HAhaha yep that happens all the time, especially if you see a bunch of ill co-ordinated people at a guardian run, you know when they start rushing heedlessly they are gonna quit... usually start talking about something or the other in wasted itself if im running with umm... general public, small things like asking if engies have protection or ill get the explosives and such like... so by the time we hit director we are a group, still doesnt stop people from jumping into maps and leaving farmers do this at venom-scorcher all the time, and of course, the zerodeaths have a habit of skipping bosses, and thats when people dont leave to return quests... so this is gonna go on... probably people would be willing to tackle guardian and director if there werent so many pure builds around requiring tons of stims, or if stims were cheaper

It's not really the stims that get me but the drops.
I've rarely seen someone get a good drop.
I hate oranges. And some purples are just way too common.

Rodvik
10-18-2011, 11:01 AM
I must say I have been guilty of this as well in the past. Slouch-O Director level IMO and experience yields the best exp in the least amount of time so during early mornings when no one is on in the guild I would join PUGs and leave at the boss. Granted some people frown on this I kinda look at it as a loss or should I say fair trade. So the random person that gets in the game has a chance at a decent drop which I would miss out on. I know there are vultures out there, gamers that sit there looking for end game boss instance to open that are half cleared so they dont have to do any work..lol So these games fill up pretty fast. Ive also been a victim to this kind of action and it is annoying waiting there with the group for the new person to catch up so we can do the boss.

FluffNStuff
10-18-2011, 11:01 AM
I'm guilty of doing this.
The reason for that is the director has bad drops and I waste stims.
To me there's not enough pay off to justify the time and stims spent on him.

I can get better drops in the first 3 level bosses than the director.

I like to kill the boss, but a lot of times people leave at the director, and I can't say it is their fault. With the higher XP requirements and the lack of great 'boss only' drops, it only makes sense to skip him and just remake. People were more likely to kill the director when he was dropping the Jetpacks, and other then those, the only 'good' drop I have seen is a recipe, which of course is value capped at 9,999 Credits.
Another reason people leave (including me) is if the Mechanic leaves. Without oil changes (heals) and repairs (rev's), the director is SOOOO not worth the time for a chance at a purple (which you can get on earlier levels).

Ardon
10-18-2011, 11:50 AM
I like to kill the boss, but a lot of times people leave at the director, and I can't say it is their fault. With the higher XP requirements and the lack of great 'boss only' drops, it only makes sense to skip him and just remake. People were more likely to kill the director when he was dropping the Jetpacks, and other then those, the only 'good' drop I have seen is a recipe, which of course is value capped at 9,999 Credits.
Another reason people leave (including me) is if the Mechanic leaves. Without oil changes (heals) and repairs (rev's), the director is SOOOO not worth the time for a chance at a purple (which you can get on earlier levels).

Nice rewording.
Though it wasn't necessary. Seems like an insult imo.

FluffNStuff
10-18-2011, 11:54 AM
Nice rewording.
Though it wasn't necessary. Seems like an insult imo.

I apologize for any inconvenience my agreeing with you has caused.

CanonicalKoi
10-18-2011, 12:54 PM
I could understand it as XP runs if it wasn't primarily 30s doing it (really? All of them are in a big push for 31? With no XP pot running?) and if they ran them like we did in PL--"XP run?" "Yeah" or "Boss" and people stayed or left. I'm not seeing it when I'm running in PUGs as a 30, with others at the same level, just when I'm running a 20-something char primarily with other 20-something chars and one or two 30s in the group. It rubs me the wrong way; kind of like them saying, "Gee, thanks so much for being a full group and getting me the extra XP, but I got what I wanted so see ya!" Or that they're just assuming it'll be a disaster, so they just leave. As for my last PUG of the morning, 4 rounds of "It's time to act!" with the four of us remaining and the Director was dead. One casualty for our side during the whole thing. 'mandos were tanking like crazy so I think my baby Engie used maybe 5 pots total because I was spamming Empathy.

As far as using stims go, meh--part of the cost of doing business.

P.S. (and totally off-topic): FLUFF!!!!

SuperNas
10-18-2011, 01:16 PM
Director bot only gives me 2 XP smh lol

StompArtist
10-18-2011, 01:17 PM
I apologize for any inconvenience my agreeing with you has caused.

I agree BAM! In your face! lol

Princesssa7508
10-18-2011, 01:32 PM
I'm with you on that one....Just because sometimes Director might not give out a Vanity, an Epic or a Legendary doesn't mean you have to quit, especially when lower level players are on, its true. It makes them feel like "Woah he/she left cause we low level and might not know how to work Director" but I'm with you people shouldn't do that they should be able to stay and teach others how to even if they don't know. It makes you a better player and also a better person. Some people might take this as how it is "A game" but others are taking as past a game, why? Because we have become a family and friends, even if its in your same guild or not a lot of us take it as family... So like I said just cause your a Higher Level Toon don't underestimate others because of their Level(s)....

- Starkiss

Ardon
10-18-2011, 01:37 PM
I'm with you on that one....Just because sometimes Director might not give out a Vanity, an Epic or a Legendary doesn't mean you have to quit, especially when lower level players are on, its true. It makes them feel like "Woah he/she left cause we low level and might not know how to work Director" but I'm with you people shouldn't do that they should be able to stay and teach others how to even if they don't know. It makes you a better player and also a better person. Some people might take this as how it is "A game" but others are taking as past a game, why? Because we have become a family and friends, even if its in your same guild or not a lot of us take it as family... So like I said just cause your a Higher Level Toon don't underestimate others because of their Level(s)....

- Starkiss

Before leaving this is my message. "Not enough payoff on the director. I'm out. Cya"

I only leave when it's a random run I joined.

Vladrac
10-18-2011, 01:46 PM
There isnt any good loot that Director Bot drops. Period. About half the runs i'm in with pugs end in killing director... half not so much. I've done Director tons of times and it's always all orange with an occasional green, while the first level turrets boss usually gives a purple.

Gazroast
10-18-2011, 01:53 PM
I am NOT guilty of this.
Because I am a gambler.

The Bosses always drop S**T, GARBAGE, JUNK!!!! EVERY TIME!! OMFG!!!

But I Have to kill him because There might be that 100,000,000:1 chance I get something worth more than 50 credit to sell.

He is super easy to kill though. Guardian is harder.. but now everything he drops is obsolete.

FluffNStuff
10-18-2011, 02:05 PM
I am NOT guilty of this.
Because I am a gambler.

The Bosses always drop S**T, GARBAGE, JUNK!!!! EVERY TIME!! OMFG!!!

But I Have to kill him because There might be that 100,000,000:1 chance I get something worth more than 50 credit to sell.

He is super easy to kill though. Guardian is harder.. but now everything he drops is obsolete.

I am also a compulsive gambler, so in PL I feel compelled to kill the boss because that is the only way to hit the jackpot. Problem with SL is that the jackpot items (Pinks and Vanities) drop from chests and mobs. So if I can kill 20 mobs and open 5 chests in the same time as I can kill the Director, well the gambler in me is going to do that.

CanonicalKoi
10-18-2011, 02:23 PM
Fluff....if you leave right before the Director on me, I will sad face all over you. :( I'm not buying it as an XP run--Wasted is exactly 7 less enemies than Commercial, plus no Director and it seems like a faster map to run (this, I'm gonna have to check out). I guess I'm a "finish what you start"/clean-map-Ranger sort of person so it annoys me when people come into a PUG, or worse, *my* game and pull that sort of stuff. It's like "rushers" when AO3 was brand new. If they want to run partial maps or wimp out at the boss, why don't they make their own run?

FluffNStuff
10-18-2011, 02:27 PM
Fluff....if you leave right before the Director on me, I will sad face all over you. :( I'm not buying it as an XP run--Wasted is exactly 7 less enemies than Commercial, plus no Director and it seems like a faster map to run (this, I'm gonna have to check out). I guess I'm a "finish what you start"/clean-map-Ranger sort of person so it annoys me when people come into a PUG, or worse, *my* game and pull that sort of stuff. It's like "rushers" when AO3 was brand new. If they want to run partial maps or wimp out at the boss, why don't they make their own run?

If I get to the Director in your game, and either you are an Engineer, or there is another Engineer that stays, then I will most definitely kill the boss with you. But it the Engineer bails, I will be right behind them.

BodMaster
10-18-2011, 02:50 PM
No problem Canon il be there to back you up :) if not just give me a shout ;)

See where people are coming from with the XP and drops.. though I still stay explain what needs to be done if needed but only if there is a lvl 24 lookin 'a little lost' but most of all I just say... "il take back left! (BL), everyone pick a platform" if someone asks then will also explain.
The Director goes down so quick with 1-2 lvl 30s anyway.. (if it was like 5mins+ then id agree) so I don't see the problem with continuing and stim use is just apart of being a Com though still not needed if well geared.

Rodvik
10-18-2011, 03:02 PM
I normally ask also in a pug if they want to do the boss, alot of people are too impatient to listen to an explaination on how to properly do the boss. Its like trying to explain Miner McGuirk and people still want to go gungho...lol

Liathea
10-18-2011, 03:09 PM
Director Bot is a pain in the ***, as he takes forever and grants little XP. I will usually bail on him, especially if I have an elixir ticking down. I am not going to waste something I spent money on for a lousy 9 XP and a slim chance at a good drop.

To be fair, I have a quick chat that asks if it's okay if I bail on Director that I use for PUGs (my guildies already know how much I hate him, lol). If someone is running the quest to kill him, I'll stick around. However, I find that other people are usually fine with skipping him too.

CanonicalKoi
10-18-2011, 03:10 PM
If I get to the Director in your game, and either you are an Engineer, or there is another Engineer that stays, then I will most definitely kill the boss with you. But it the Engineer bails, I will be right behind them.

Fluffer, I'd change to my Engie, just for you, if you wanted one present. :) (Who are your chars in SL, by the by? I'm running Rauen, Chedaka and Yosinabe, mainly.) And Bod? I had no worries about you bailing--you, sir, are a beast when it comes to bosses. :D I'll holler if I'm abandoned (and if you're on).

I usually do a quick, "Everybody done this before?" and it seems to work pretty well. I've only been in 2 PUGs (and I wind up mainly playing in PUGs) where the fight went on forever. Everyone else has either done it before or caught on very quickly.

FluffNStuff
10-18-2011, 03:15 PM
Fluffer, I'd change to my Engie, just for you, if you wanted one present. :) (Who are your chars in SL, by the by? I'm running Rauen, Chedaka and Yosinabe, mainly.) And Bod? I had no worries about you bailing--you, sir, are a beast when it comes to bosses. :D I'll holler if I'm abandoned (and if you're on).

I usually do a quick, "Everybody done this before?" and it seems to work pretty well. I've only been in 2 PUGs (and I wind up mainly playing in PUGs) where the fight went on forever. Everyone else has either done it before or caught on very quickly.

Main is HunnySniper which is a high damage low defense operative. That is the reason I need an engineer to stick around because if I ever get agro, the director one shots me (currently 29, might be better with 30 gear).

CanonicalKoi
10-18-2011, 03:18 PM
Trust me, it *is* better with 30 gear--Rauen (SL Rauen, that is) is 30 Op with custom and it's decent protection. I'll add you and if you ever need an Engie, holler and I'll switch over to Yosi (also 30). Yosi is a healing/support Engie, so I promise to keep you topped up. :)

Hullukko
10-18-2011, 03:45 PM
No reward. Why waste the time?

Although he's somewhat interesting as bosses go, many must feel they've fought him enough times, I know I have. I usually just ask "you want to do him?", but I have no personal interest over him myself. But should you, or anyone else, need an engie there feel free to add me.

Didn't all fifties ditch the keeper in ctk? Especially if the group was riddled with sub fifties. Tampax wasn't popular in vic laps either.

BodMaster
10-18-2011, 04:00 PM
Agree with players doing it constant on Keeper or in fact most 'more than the usual' bosses in general (they sucked with low lvls and took alottttt of time to do. Though wouldn't put Director in the same catergory in the likes of Keeper/Cockroach/Gurgox etc. Think as long as you have a know how average lvld group your fine with Director.

CanonicalKoi
10-18-2011, 04:46 PM
No reward. Why waste the time?

Why do the level then? Or, rather, why do the level in a group that may fairly be assumed to be wanting to do the whole level?

Although he's somewhat interesting as bosses go, many must feel they've fought him enough times, I know I have. I usually just ask "you want to do him?", but I have no personal interest over him myself. But should you, or anyone else, need an engie there feel free to add me.

Didn't all fifties ditch the keeper in ctk? Especially if the group was riddled with sub fifties. Tampax wasn't popular in vic laps either.

Re: the bolded, um....nope! :) Doing Keeper with 2-3 birds? He's dead before he can shield up the first time. And Victory Lap, it's all the bosses, all the time, unless I'm in someone else's group--their run, their rules. Besides, I hate leaving partially done levels clogging up the place. I hated trying to do quests, hit the "Go To" and wind up in a half-done level, usually minus the bits I needed to do the silly thing. And, yeah, if you want a boss who takes forever, Cockroach and/or Goldfever would top that list for me.

javier995
10-18-2011, 06:00 PM
I don't like people who do this. The director isn't hard at all. He can be soloed(I have done this), so why leave? Only reason i see myself leaving is if I have an enhancer on. That's why i only run with people that do the whole run. If someone invites me, and ends up ditching me at the director alone, I get angry for two reasons.
1) I chose to join you, I didn't have too, so at least stay and complete the run.
2) Why will you invite me if you're just going to ditch me at the boss?

When this happens to me(and I'm stuck with the lower lvl people) I stay for two reasons.
1) They might not know how to fight the director, so I stay and help them.
2) If I leave them, they'll feel the same way i do, and i don't want that.

Okay so maybe he doesn't drop good stuff. Well neither did the guardian, but we all still ran Uncharted to hopefully get lucky. This being said, don't ditch your friends at the director it isn't cool guys. Although you might keep doing it, try to stop or better yet don't do commercial at all.

If you're looking for xp runs, run scorcher, its easier and faster(with the right team).

Rodvik
10-18-2011, 07:50 PM
I did a Director run with you earlier Canon! One person left! And we rocked him! See I'm not such a bad guy! lol!

Fac3bon3s
10-18-2011, 08:21 PM
I think a good way to avoid being disappointed is to ask right at start of level whether anyone plans on killing director or if they know how. I know I avoid director due to the fact that I know I can get what ever he may drop from any random mob. I will usually leave at end of previous level though. It's just rude to leave a group at a boss with out explanation.

CanonicalKoi
10-18-2011, 09:30 PM
I did a Director run with you earlier Canon! One person left! And we rocked him! See I'm not such a bad guy! lol!

Never thought you were. :) You, me and Starsavior and...did we have a full crew? Or just one other? In any case, it went well. :)

Lady_Pebbles
10-18-2011, 11:56 PM
The only reasons why I completed the boss fights on the maps was for the quests. The Director Bot barely gives me any EXP as a level 30 Engineer & yes his drops suck. The only reason I would/have stayed is because some friends needed to get it done. Other than that, I tell people from the beginning that I won't be participating in the boss fight. When I host runs, it is expected that we aren't going to fight the boss. We do the runs on each level to gain as much EXP possible. The boss is complete waste of time. Why spend all that time fighting it when you only get a few EXP (-if- that) & it drops oranges more than half the time?
Na, Im good.