PDA

View Full Version : The Beggar Game - A new source of fun!

IBNobody
10-19-2011, 08:27 AM
I was grinding my lv25 Engineer in Sloucho, last night when out of the blue, a very vocal person in the PUG started begging the rest of us for credits.

I had a few choices. I could ignore him. I could leave the PUG. OR........

I asked him a simple question:

"Why should we give you credits if you aren't willing to give us credits first?"

The sheer illogicality of this question caused the beggar's mind to melt. The last thing beggars like, apparently, is to be begged at. }:>

So this leads us to the Beggar Game...

Here's how to play:

If you ask a random stranger for credits or free equipment, you are considered a beggar and are disqualified from the game.

You must remain civil. If you resort to name-calling, abusive behavior, harassment, stalking, threats, or other violations of the Star Legends TOS, you are disqualified from the game.

If you ask a beggar for credits, and they ignore you, you don't get a point.
If you ask a begger for credits, and they respond to you by asking for more credits, you get 1 point.
If you ask a begger for credits, and you make their minds melt ("That makes no sense! I'm poooooor!", etc), you get 3 points.
If you ask a begger for credits, and they stop begging, you get 5 points.
If you ask a beggar for credits, and they actually give you credits or equipment, you get 10 points.
If you ask a beggar for credits, and they actually give you and the rest of the PUG or 3 other people in Blackstar credits or equipment, you get 100 points.

If you give the beggar any credits or equipment, you LOSE 5 points.

Game on! May the best beggar-of-beggar win!

MimeRifle
10-19-2011, 08:32 AM
This is exactly my brand of demented. I will keep score!!

My standard response to beggars has been "*point in the direction of nearest dungeon*" "Over there, son, that's where you get the money!"

Draco Mikato
10-19-2011, 08:33 AM
I don't know... I don't mean to be a party pooper but I'd hate to see begging all over b* lol might set a bad influence. But here's to hoping this turns out positive :D *pulls pockets inside-out*

Yutani
10-19-2011, 08:41 AM
I don't know... I don't mean to be a party pooper but I'd hate to see begging all over b* lol might set a bad influence. But here's to hoping this turns out positive :D *pulls pockets inside-out*

You may consider checking the meaning of the phrase "tongue in cheek". It will help assuage your trepidation. 8)

javier995
10-19-2011, 08:52 AM
Lol I'm going to have some fun with this: :D

Hullukko
10-19-2011, 08:53 AM
And soiled takes the lead with 1 point. Or two, mayber three.

You weren't clear as to how the consecutive begs are calculated after the initial response. This beggar I met, didn't even blink at thah I just got three more "plz!" before I decided it's me who has to jump ship. Perhaps I should repeat the phrase after every beg, eh?

As an offshoot I'd like to offer a development suggestion (in a wrong section, I know): "auto ignore using regex patterns"
^[pP]l[sz]!*$

Say that to me and you wouldn't even get a second chance. :)

(for the regex challenged that spells out to "from the beginning of the line starting with a small or capital p, then small l followed by s or z and any number of exclamation points to the end of the line")

IBNobody
10-19-2011, 09:31 AM
And soiled takes the lead with 1 point. Or two, mayber three.

You weren't clear as to how the consecutive begs are calculated after the initial response. This beggar I met, didn't even blink at thah I just got three more "plz!" before I decided it's me who has to jump ship. Perhaps I should repeat the phrase after every beg, eh?

As an offshoot I'd like to offer a development suggestion (in a wrong section, I know): "auto ignore using regex patterns"
^[pP]l[sz]!*$

Say that to me and you wouldn't even get a second chance. :)

(for the regex challenged that spells out to "from the beginning of the line starting with a small or capital p, then small l followed by s or z and any number of exclamation points to the end of the line")

Hmmm... Did he respond at all, or did he just beg? It doesn't sound like you scored at all.

My suggestion is to make the first response public, and then if they ignore you, make it a tell. The public response is meant to humor your fellow players, too. Don't spam your public responses, or you risk alienating your audience.

TsunamiTheClown
10-19-2011, 11:06 AM
Any points for epic beggar boots??? :~begs~:

See: "Chownis has booted you from their game for reason: Figure-4 Leglock!!!!!!!"

Carth
10-19-2011, 11:19 AM
Watch this game become a big hit. Everyone is going to be putting there scores in there Sig within a week. :)

MimeRifle
10-19-2011, 11:36 AM
You may be responsible for the genesis of a new meme!

BodMaster
10-19-2011, 12:01 PM
Im down hehe *oh the Bod* gona have fun with this :D

StompArtist
10-19-2011, 12:03 PM
Wait. What if you can get the beggar to give away his possessions to another beggar (you should not know beggar 1 and 2)?

BodMaster
10-19-2011, 12:19 PM
Wait. What if you can get the beggar to give away his possessions to another beggar (you should not know beggar 1 and 2)?

200-500 points :p

Kahlua
10-19-2011, 12:21 PM
I dunno about this...seems misleading...

Fyrce
10-19-2011, 12:44 PM
Omg. Lol.

Liathea
10-19-2011, 12:45 PM
Hilarious.

I am so in.

Hullukko
10-19-2011, 02:10 PM
Hmmm... Did he respond at all, or did he just beg? It doesn't sound like you scored at all.

My suggestion is to make the first response public, and then if they ignore you, make it a tell. The public response is meant to humor your fellow players, too. Don't spam your public responses, or you risk alienating your audience.

I could've been more explicit, although I do think all the hints about what happened were there.

It went something like this:
he/she: Could you gimme some $$$?
me: Could you give me some money instead?
he/she: Plz!
he/she: Pleeezzzzzz!!!
I then left...

Isn't that worth one point?

IBNobody
10-19-2011, 03:00 PM
I could've been more explicit, although I do think all the hints about what happened were there.

It went something like this:
he/she: Could you gimme some $$$?
me: Could you give me some money instead?
he/she: Pleeezzzzzz!!!
I then left...

Isn't that worth one point?

Yeah, you're currently the first person on the board. Way to go!

I am going to play too, but my score won't count.

Jon Kendrick
10-20-2011, 01:27 AM
To keep the interest up, open a trade window and close it before you begin a reply!!! Watch how fast it turns green! Works every time

~Clips~

Kakatoa91
10-20-2011, 04:21 AM
Most of time, I give to beggars under lvl 15 or ones with funny msgs.
Not credits but excess weapons and craft items from yellow to purp.

Most of them say thank you.
Some say thank you BUT say they ask for credits instead.
Others say: nonono I need credit. Not even a thx.
And last ones very few, say nothing back.

Just send the beggars to PIF guild member. They'll learn how to manage better their avatar if you dont have time to help them yourself. If they are motivated, a little sponsorship is ok. If they are not interested and keep on beggin... I guess do the beggar game.

Dont forget:
"Give a man vular steack meat, he will eat for a day.
Give him a riffle and teach him how to haunt vulars, he will eat for the rest of his days."
:D

Struckboot
10-20-2011, 05:15 AM
Katoa man those are words to live by...... Lol that sounded lame sorry

ninjaduck
10-20-2011, 05:29 AM
I just begged 14 players and i have 3211 credits. WOOHOO!

Kahlua
10-20-2011, 05:29 AM
well since no one else is pointing this out, and apparently the devs don't agree, this needs to be said:

Isn't this a form of scamming? Not everyone is going to do this, but I know it will eventually happen. People are going to get desperate for "points" even though there is no way to track everyone's transactions if someone gives items to the entire party. As one of the lines you used to describe this game was "Why should we give you credits if you aren't willing to give us credits first?", this implies a "trust trade" of some sort. Give me credits, and I'll give you credits after. So the begger gives you money thinking he'll get some more back...and then they don't. That's a scam. That's tricking someone into doing something.

As I said, not everyone will do this. I'm sure people will just say "Or how about you give ME credits instead?" But when that doesn't work, what's next? I'm sure I'm about to get bombarded with tons of hate and people saying this won't happen...but it will. Anything with points and a scoring system leads to competitive nature. Competitive nature leads to people doing anything to win...even if there is no prize.

I just don't like this whole concept. Doesn't this go against what PIF is doing? Aren't we supposed to tell them how to make their own money and then show them, instead of mocking them? This isn't going to help anyone, and while it's meant to be fun, try being in their shoes. They might not use the forums for information or meeting other people. They might not have any real knowledge of the game. If it wasn't for my brother showing me how to play, I would have had NO idea. I'm not big into mmo's and games like this...

ninjaduck
10-20-2011, 05:31 AM
Whaaat? Begging is a scam??? Noooooooooooooooooooooooo....

IBNobody
10-20-2011, 06:35 AM
Dont forget:
"Give a man vular steack meat, he will eat for a day.
Give him a riffle and teach him how to haunt vulars, he will eat for the rest of his days."
:D

No he won't. He'll see that he was able to get free <whatever> with little work and keep doing it. People who keep feeding the beggars are the problem in society.

If you want to bestow random-acts-of-kindness, do it to people who aren't begging for it.

Isn't this a form of scamming? Not everyone is going to do this, but I know it will eventually happen. People are going to get desperate for "points" even though there is no way to track everyone's transactions if someone gives items to the entire party. As one of the lines you used to describe this game was "Why should we give you credits if you aren't willing to give us credits first?", this implies a "trust trade" of some sort. Give me credits, and I'll give you credits after. So the begger gives you money thinking he'll get some more back...and then they don't. That's a scam. That's tricking someone into doing something.

If I say that line to someone, and without questioning, they give me credits, I'll be shocked and amazed. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. I would likely give them their money back. If they asked me, instead, if I would really give them money, I'd tell them the truth.

Now, a true (and amusing) "scam" would be to tell the beggars about the "Gyrotax":

ME: "They just added a new feature to the game. Did you know that you can get free credits if you shake your phone really REALLY hard?"
Beggar: "Really?"
ME: "Yeah! It made me rich."
Beggar: "It's not working!"
ME: "You aren't doing it right. Shake it harder!"

(Again, I don't recommend doing any sort of scamming. I just think the idea of Beggars shaking their phones in order to partake in a get-rich-quick scheme paints a hilarious mental picture.)

I just don't like this whole concept. Doesn't this go against what PIF is doing? Aren't we supposed to tell them how to make their own money and then show them, instead of mocking them? This isn't going to help anyone, and while it's meant to be fun, try being in their shoes. They might not use the forums for information or meeting other people. They might not have any real knowledge of the game. If it wasn't for my brother showing me how to play, I would have had NO idea. I'm not big into mmo's and games like this...

PIF deals with people just starting out. What do you do when you're approached by a level 25 beggar, in an instance, begging for credits? What do you do if you, a level 25 in pauper clothes, are invited to an instance by a lv30 random "friend", only to have them beg credits off you. These encounters made me decide to start to play the beggar game.

Kahlua
10-20-2011, 06:57 AM
I dunno, I've had a lot of people in the 20s, even some 30s, come up to me asking questions about the game. Not questions about how to play, but questions none-the-less. People of all levels have NO idea how to play or what stuff does. A lvl 25 or so came up to me asking where he can spend his credits and where to get armor (He was wearing a combo of plat armor and non-top end gear he obviously got from drops)

BodMaster
10-20-2011, 07:00 AM
This is what happened to me yesterday (not sure how point I get :p)

Them: *Trade Prompt*
Me: ??
Them: Il blast you away!
Them: Trade Prompt*
Me: Bore da!
Them: *Runs away*

Success :D

IBNobody
10-20-2011, 08:09 AM
This is what happened to me yesterday (not sure how point I get :p)

Them: *Trade Prompt*
Them: Il blast you away!
Them: Trade Prompt*
Them: *Runs away*

Heheh. If I were you, I would have played even dumber. Ever have to explain how to use a computer to a parent or older relative? Why not give the beggar a taste of that? If they thought you were going to give them something, I assume they would make some effort to explain the process. As you proved yourself to be a bumbling fool, how long would they stick around before giving up?

I dunno, I've had a lot of people in the 20s, even some 30s, come up to me asking questions about the game. Not questions about how to play, but questions none-the-less. People of all levels have NO idea how to play or what stuff does. A lvl 25 or so came up to me asking where he can spend his credits and where to get armor (He was wearing a combo of plat armor and non-top end gear he obviously got from drops)

Well, see? You should have told the lv25 player that it was customary to tip other helpful players. }:> (I kid! I kid!)

There's a difference between a lv25 character asking questions and a lv25 character begging in an instance. I love to help, but I only help those who are willing to help themselves.

EDIT: Kahlua, don't get me wrong. You are entitled to your own opinion on the matter. My point is that if someone is going to beg credits off me, I am entitled to poke fun at them as long as I don't violate the TOS. What you (Kahlua) choose to do is entirely up to you.

CanonicalKoi
10-20-2011, 08:29 AM

Good gravy! One of the like 3 Welsh phrases I know.... *faints*

(Would you have fainted if he replied, "Da iawn, diolch"?)

IBNobody
10-20-2011, 08:32 AM

Hmm... It actually meant something?

I didn't know! Apparently, it means "Good Morning".

Fac3bon3s
10-20-2011, 08:34 AM
Them Broadcasting in town - can i have your credits please
Me- Stop begging please
Them- No response - leave town.

What do I get? Also I was polite and did not ask for anything in return. I would like a Nobel Peace Prize. Can you email me one.

Kahlua
10-20-2011, 08:52 AM
Well yeah, that makes sense. But the last thing I'm going to say is that those level 25s begging were new players once too. Maybe they weren't lucky enough to have someone help them understand the game when they were lower levels the way PIF is helping the new players now. A younger player who didn't have someone point them in the right direction is more likely to beg for money than someone with ambition and knowledge of the games finer points. I know when I first started, I was using all my money on stim packs so I wouldn't die. Then I was showed the proper way to play and now my money is adding up.

Of course, there's always the chance they're just airheads, in which case, prod away.

BodMaster
10-20-2011, 08:56 AM
Heheh. If I were you, I would have played even dumber. Ever have to explain how to use a computer to a parent or older relative? Why not give the beggar a taste of that? If they thought you were going to give them something, I assume they would make some effort to explain the process. As you proved yourself to be a bumbling fool, how long would they stick around before giving up?

All to many time, my Grandad bought a brand new laptop the other day.. seens as he's 87+ it was a little hard to explain the basic functions, and he had one of them small attached mouse (his hands are like shovels) lol. As he left I felt following him may kind of be harrasment so dropped it and was glad to get a begger of my back :D (Even though they were harrasing me first... best to kill it first :))

Hmm... It actually meant something?

I didn't know! Apparently, it means "Good Morning".

Yup your spot on! :) And Canon id be stumped.. :p or push their boundaries, confusing the hell of them with more Welsh :) (Thoug im nowhere near fluent :p)

Deathpunch
10-20-2011, 08:58 AM
When a beggar asks me for X amount of credits I respond with give me X+Y amount and I will give them X amount. The Y amount is a processing fee. I have yet to find success with this method, unless them not begging me anymore is success.

MightyMicah
11-25-2011, 08:44 AM
Lmbo! I'm gonna have fun with this.

BodMaster
11-25-2011, 09:52 AM
Lmbo! I'm gonna have fun with this.

Blast from the past! Look what I've revived, it was pretty funny, I so confused them that they just run away.. lol

Rugman
11-25-2011, 11:27 AM
Pure genius! Fuhgetabout beer in a bottle...this is brilliant!

Olz
11-25-2011, 11:50 AM
Oh yeah double brainmelt

15 points

CappinClutch
11-25-2011, 01:13 PM
I just tell 'em I'm not a bank...game over.

Slant
11-25-2011, 02:28 PM
ok tried the game on UCS, begger ignored me so I didnt get a point, but I got like 5 lols so gonna keep track of the score from now on
thanks for reviving this thread lol it was in the back of my mind but never really got down to playing it haha

BodMaster
11-25-2011, 05:43 PM
Ha after zombies post it just had to be done :D

Zeus
11-25-2011, 07:03 PM
The question is, have you ever played this game in reverse and tried to be the beggar? It's HILARIOUS!

Aculeas
11-26-2011, 10:19 AM
well since no one else is pointing this out, and apparently the devs don't agree, this needs to be said:

As I said, not everyone will do this. I'm sure people will just say "Or how about you give ME credits instead?" But when that doesn't work, what's next? I'm sure I'm about to get bombarded with tons of hate and people saying this won't happen...but it will. Anything with points and a scoring system leads to competitive nature. Competitive nature leads to people doing anything to win...even if there is no prize.

Well said.

oegrocor
11-26-2011, 03:07 PM
lol yeh the beggar was quiet