PDA

View Full Version : Gun is useless for mage?

Shrexxxk
07-25-2017, 05:54 AM
I tried comparing stats of guns and staff to see the changes in my dps and dmg.
It show over -100 lost in both dmg/dps when I equip gun.
Staff- 470 dps / 66 int/ 62 armor - Duskbringer staff of warfare lvl 61
Gun - 360 dps / 66 int/ 62 armor - Duskbrinder Blunderbuss of warfare lvl 61

The "int"stat is same but why does the dmg reduce when switch from staff to gun? ;\

Azebor
07-25-2017, 06:41 AM
Well, in any other game it would make sense to sacrifice damage in order to gain range. But in AL, the new guns have i believe a 2x damage auto-attack modifier. This means that if u pew-pew auto-attack something, the gun usually does more damage than a staff. However, "skill" damage will be higher on the weapon with higher damage stat, which in the case of your example, is the staff. Just imagine that when you cast spells it makes more sense to hold a staff, like any other mage in the gaming/fantasy universe.

Shrexxxk
07-25-2017, 07:13 AM
Well, in any other game it would make sense to sacrifice damage in order to gain range. But in AL, the new guns have i believe a 2x damage auto-attack modifier. This means that if u pew-pew auto-attack something, the gun usually does more damage than a staff. However, "skill" damage will be higher on the weapon with higher damage stat, which in the case of your example, is the staff. Just imagine that when you cast spells it makes more sense to hold a staff, like any other mage in the gaming/fantasy universe.
What do u mean New Guns? arcane ? mystic? lvl 61?

Azebor
07-25-2017, 09:54 PM
http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?306478-Weapon-Changes-in-Curse-of-the-Cryostar

Read that. A moderator should probably sticky that page somewhere.

Kaeldo
07-30-2017, 09:49 PM
I use guns for speed farming, but definitely use staff's in areas with powerful mobs and bosses.

Gouiwaa9000
07-31-2017, 03:07 PM
Guns have a 250% bonus damage on basic attack while staffs have increased skill damage . The damage that you see in your stats is not always your basic attack damage but rather the damage that your skills scale to l Thats why staffs always appear to have higher stats ( so that skills are stronger ) while guns have a hidden bonus on attacking that does not display on your stats so that it wont affect your skills .

suckyiknow
07-31-2017, 07:38 PM
To add to the discussion, in PvP it's generally preferred to use a gun since mages usually use 2 attack skills, and the added range and long ranged damage from the auto attack makes up for the loss in skill damage.