PDA

View Full Version : A Gold Sink

Otukura
10-19-2011, 09:03 PM
Does anyone have any ideas for one? Prices are rising, and elixirs no longer do the job, plat lets us bypass this part. I don't really care if things are hard to obtain or not, that's the game. I care about the fact that low level things cost way more than someone leveling can obtain. Something that would just drain gold from the higher leveled players, and keep it to the lower ones. There's hardly a point for many of the low level pinks now, except for twinks. When I was first leveling, a mojo bow would cost 5k. Now it costs 20. A 400% increase, a level 20 could easily farm 5k on his way there, a level 20 can't normally far 20.

Please DO NOT go on about elixirs... I don't want this to turn into a flame thread, and will lock it if it does. I don't think this is STS's fault, it's happened in every game I've been in no matter how amazing the company is, but I do think that STS should try to prevent or impede the progression of this. New players can't play how they once did.

/youspecifiedatagthatwastoolongatagcanonlybe25chara cters

KingFu
10-19-2011, 11:47 PM
Simple. Make the Omnipresent Crown of Dreams available to be bought with gold. Will 5 mil do the job?;)

Zeus
10-20-2011, 12:04 AM
Rofl at David. STS has the right intention with the crafting. They should make crafting materials pretty rare, so people are forced to buy some to complete a set. This will cause gold to drain fast, in theory. But, the only flaw I see with that is, what happens when people don't need to make crafted sets anymore? Inflation starts again. Ah, the headache of economic problems.

Otukura
10-20-2011, 12:09 AM
Rofl at David. STS has the right intention with the crafting. They should make crafting materials pretty rare, so people are forced to buy some to complete a set. This will cause gold to drain fast, in theory. But, the only flaw I see with that is, what happens when people don't need to make crafted sets anymore? Inflation starts again. Ah, the headache of economic problems.
That's my point, in AO3, we had OL. 3k/run, nice gold drain. 5 minutes of fun too. Now, it just doesn't work like that.

Ellyidol
10-20-2011, 12:18 AM
That's my point, in AO3, we had OL. 3k/run, nice gold drain. 5 minutes of fun too. Now, it just doesn't work like that.

Agreed. Extinct gold elixirs plus difficulty of bosses were the best gold sinks back then.

IMO, today, gold has little to no use to a hardcore gamer. Of course it still has value through buying stuff, but we know that difference in satisfaction from buying versus farming :)

Heck I started Nuri's with 200k only and minus the pink sales, probably got a mil or two through liquidation alone. No outflow at all.

YYZ????
10-20-2011, 12:22 AM
I thought of this a few days ago. I made a new friend(lvl14). He stated gear is really expensive. So i checked out a few 15, 19, 25 prices. I agree they seem higher than they used to be.

I made a commitment to him that i will supply 1 piece of equipment for each lvl as long long as it is something he needs. You don't always need the very best gear when moving up. He is now at lvl 22 and it has not costed me much but it really helps.

This is one way to help keep things interesting.

Trollee
10-20-2011, 12:24 AM
Perhaps (hopefully) STS has some type of gold sink planned for Mt. Fang and its gear. I can't imagine any type of system that would work (I'm not an economics sort of guy :p) but I hope for the sake of new players joining the game that STS implements something. I started playing PL just after the Sewers release and even then found some of the prices for pinks my level well out of reach. On the other hand, there should always be that separation between the gear only accessible by twinks and the gear accessible by your average joe player. An elaborate system is required, and I hope STS manages to come up with something suffice.

TANKKAAR
10-20-2011, 12:52 AM
A few of the issues you have listed can be fixed by simply flooding more Low level pinks into the game.. IMO this will affect 2 things:
1) prices for low level pinks will drop and allow a level 10 to actually afford level 10 gear.
2) money invested by all the high levels will be lost on the twink gear they have bought.

No this isn't exactly a gold sink for high levels but I think everyone needs to remember in any economy there will be the rich and then there will be the poor. It only makes sense that the longer you play the more money you should have. what I really think needs to happen in this game is the fix of the amount of drops as the game progresses. if you think about it as the game gets older so do the players. The rarity of the drops at the higher and newly released levels should remain the same but as the game goes on I really feel lower level pinks should become more common to prevent the type of inflation that we have seen from occurring and making the gear basically unobtainable to lower levels that actually need it which is what we are seeing now.

Either way that's my 2play...lol

drewcapu
10-20-2011, 01:22 AM
When you come up with an ideal gold sink, they'll come up with an ideal platinum garbage disposal.

Riccits
10-20-2011, 01:43 AM
well sewers was a big gold sink. i would be enough to remove all trash drops from nuri and all future campains.

Corpser
10-20-2011, 04:18 AM
perhaps the devs could add a sorta lucky dip e.g you put in 10k and get a random chance for good loot (scaled to your level) so you will get a pink sometimes good sometimes bad just random i reckon this would be awesome just make getting a good one really rare cause i can see rich people abusing this so much!

AdinoEznite
10-20-2011, 05:13 AM
perhaps the devs could add a sorta lucky dip e.g you put in 10k and get a random chance for good loot (scaled to your level) so you will get a pink sometimes good sometimes bad just random i reckon this would be awesome just make getting a good one really rare cause i can see rich people abusing this so much!

i was thinking about something along these lines, but slightly different

especially with the new content coming out STS can hold a raffle of sorts
you pay per ticket, no limit on the tickets

and the raffle winner gets one of the new pinks (predetermined by STS) from MT Fang/winter festival
this raffle can be held weekly or so

later when the maps arent as new, it can be a new vanity or something
basically anything that would get the end game people to spend lots of gold on lots of tickets
but of course theres only one winner

the gold can be payed to an NPC who says what the new item up for the raffle is and what not

hows that sound?

Ixillicus
10-20-2011, 07:28 AM
Here is a gold sink...
20 Plat = 500k, you can buy it once a week. Atleast the players who wouldnt prefer to pay real money for the game would be able to sink some money for something that will get burned up.

Gluttony
10-20-2011, 08:18 AM
Perhaps I don't understand what a gold sink is, but crafting is based on drops and the gold isn't exactly lost but traded. Elixirs used to be a true gold since they were consumable items, the gold you put into them was lost after 5 minutes of play time. Even though recipies are consumable, the gold isn't lost since they are drops and if they're bought from cs then the gold you spent to get it may be lost to you, but another player has it so it's not actually sunk into anything.

As for the other suggestions, they are already implemented into the game in a form of plat sink. Corpser's random loot chance is basically the idea behind platinum item packs. So as Drewcapu stated once the best idea for a gold sink has been identified, even if STS implements it into the game it is only a matter of time before someone from the marketing division realizes the potential to make actual money from the idea and it become a plat purchase only. I think Ixillicus' idea was ok in reverse (but has been suggested numerous times) to allow players to turn gold into plat, but more realistically 500k = 1 plat so a capped player can only get 20 plat per week (maybe change that to month), but again this could cause STS to see a decrease in revenue even if only a bit so it doesn't stand much of a chance to become a reality.

There are a couple of gold sinks in place but the amount of gold is so low that they are not effective: cs listing price, guild charter purchase. What about some new form of quests; you would have to pay a premium to accept them and the end product is a desirable prize, maybe use the hard to acquire crafting pieces or even some of the non set pinks from Nuri's campaign. Maybe even a completely brand new set, much like how cyber set was. Talk to Nuri and she will offer you a quest, kill 1000 zombies in Haunted Symphony and get a para scrap/glyph blade steel and since the item is a quest reward it won't be tradable or sellable. Quests would cost 25k to start for crafting parts (maybe 100k for blade steel), and 250k to start for actual gear. This idea basically makes it so you're buying these items along with a bit of work and the finished product you cannot sell or try to recoup your losses via cs, so once the gold is spent it's gone.

StompArtist
10-20-2011, 08:26 AM
They could make the gear sold by merchants close to good pinks (but not superior) for a large amount of gold. There's your drain.

Yvonnel
10-20-2011, 08:45 AM
Houses. Purchase with plat. Weekly gold rental fee. Upgrades for gold, etc.

Tapatalk'd from my PowerWashed Fascinate

vaffunculo
10-20-2011, 08:53 AM
If people weren't willing to pay the crazy cs prices then items would not cost so much...only way to stop ridiculous prices really is to not pay them..then prices will drop.

Riccits
10-20-2011, 08:57 AM
Simple. Make the Omnipresent Crown of Dreams available to be bought with gold. Will 5 mil do the job?;)

to farm 5mil i need 1-2 months. to get the money for 500plat i neet a few hours of work :loyal: LOL!

Gluttony
10-20-2011, 09:00 AM
If people weren't willing to pay the crazy cs prices then items would not cost so much...only way to stop ridiculous prices really is to not pay them..then prices will drop.

I don't think that is what it's about, players have numerous toons at gold cap (-1 from 10M) which means they can pretty much control the market by buying items if they're priced too low and re-listing them at a much higher rate, there is no real way to stop this unless there is a way to regulate the gold a player can amass.

vaffunculo
10-20-2011, 09:10 AM

I don't think that is what it's about, players have numerous toons at gold cap (-1 from 10M) which means they can pretty much control the market by buying items if they're priced too low and re-listing them at a much higher rate, there is no real way to stop this unless there is a way to regulate the gold a player can amass.

While this is true, eventually it will catch up with them and bankrupt them. I know a few players that lost millions doing that at nuri launch time.

StompArtist
10-20-2011, 09:31 AM

This works in a normal economy. PL has an infinite amount of gold coming in and virtually no gold coming out (potions aside).

Conradin
10-20-2011, 09:56 AM
Guilds!!!!!

Let us custumize our guild hall for cash! Things to add could cost 20k-5mil. This is the perfect gold sink.

vaffunculo
10-20-2011, 10:02 AM
What about the ability to dye armor? You would be able to craft dyes into your armor to make it more personalized, just maker the dye very expensive maybe 500k per dye and one dye is only enough to do one item.

Yvonnel
10-20-2011, 10:06 AM
What about the ability to dye armor? You would be able to craft dyes into your armor to make it more personalized, just maker the dye very expensive maybe 500k per dye and one dye is only enough to do one item.

I like this too!

StompArtist
10-20-2011, 10:08 AM

That is a great idea.

drewcapu
10-20-2011, 10:22 AM
There are a couple of gold sinks in place but the amount of gold is so low that they are not effective: cs listing price

This is the simplest one to implement.

Listing fees that scale upwards a bit more for high priced items.

AdinoEznite
10-20-2011, 12:10 PM
i think the guild customization and the dyes are good ideas

the whole 500k = 1 plat seems kinda ridiculous
i could just download a free app for 1 plat
i think you have to make it more enticing...either 500k for 5-10 plat because otherwise i dont see people using this gold sink at all

CanonicalKoi
10-20-2011, 02:38 PM
KOL had a big problem with this. They made a bunch of silly things that cost a fair amount of gold and siphoned it out of the economy. Stuff like the ability to "send" another player a birthday card or cake or a Valentine's Greeting or a balloon bouquet, things like that. One of the most popular items was the Wall of Graffiti--you purchased your can of spray paint for gold and painted whatever slogan struck your fancy (keeping it semi-clean at least). Stuff stayed on the wall for 3 days, I think, before it faded out. If you wanted it back up, you bought more paint.

And David's idea really isn't that silly--make some vanities purchasable only with gold. It doesn't have to be the same as the plat versions--gold antenna, anyone? :)

ETA: Hey, there's an idea. Make a wall (or four or five) in Balefort "Memorial Walls". You buy a brick with your char's name on it for gold and it goes into the wall, on display for future generations of gamers to wonder what the heck an Otukura/Apollo/Mysticaldream/Rauen is. :D

Otukura
10-20-2011, 06:15 PM
A few of the issues you have listed can be fixed by simply flooding more Low level pinks into the game.. IMO this will affect 2 things:
1) prices for low level pinks will drop and allow a level 10 to actually afford level 10 gear.
2) money invested by all the high levels will be lost on the twink gear they have bought.

No this isn't exactly a gold sink for high levels but I think everyone needs to remember in any economy there will be the rich and then there will be the poor. It only makes sense that the longer you play the more money you should have. what I really think needs to happen in this game is the fix of the amount of drops as the game progresses. if you think about it as the game gets older so do the players. The rarity of the drops at the higher and newly released levels should remain the same but as the game goes on I really feel lower level pinks should become more common to prevent the type of inflation that we have seen from occurring and making the gear basically unobtainable to lower levels that actually need it which is what we are seeing now.

Either way that's my 2play...lol

Flooding the markets would defeat the purpose of a pink, making it non legendary. Something no one liked at level 45. I'm not sure if this is an anyway influenced by your wealth, but I think that it would be a plus for merchants. You, say, 100m might be worth 3 times the value now.

An idea! I like the random part of it; even something like a 10k mystery elixir, that would be a random plat elixir. Plain 2x damage/armor/xp for 5 minutes would be common, maybe a combo elixir would be more rare.

Here is a gold sink...
20 Plat = 500k, you can buy it once a week. Atleast the players who wouldnt prefer to pay real money for the game would be able to sink some money for something that will get burned up.
That's the exact opposite of what I'm saying... did you mean that in reverse? (edit: saw Glutt's post, guess we both thought that)

Houses. Purchase with plat. Weekly gold rental fee. Upgrades for gold, etc.

Another idea.

Perhaps I don't understand what a gold sink is, but crafting is based on drops and the gold isn't exactly lost but traded. Elixirs used to be a true gold since they were consumable items, the gold you put into them was lost after 5 minutes of play time. Even though recipies are consumable, the gold isn't lost since they are drops and if they're bought from cs then the gold you spent to get it may be lost to you, but another player has it so it's not actually sunk into anything.

As for the other suggestions, they are already implemented into the game in a form of plat sink. Corpser's random loot chance is basically the idea behind platinum item packs. So as Drewcapu stated once the best idea for a gold sink has been identified, even if STS implements it into the game it is only a matter of time before someone from the marketing division realizes the potential to make actual money from the idea and it become a plat purchase only. I think Ixillicus' idea was ok in reverse (but has been suggested numerous times) to allow players to turn gold into plat, but more realistically 500k = 1 plat so a capped player can only get 20 plat per week (maybe change that to month), but again this could cause STS to see a decrease in revenue even if only a bit so it doesn't stand much of a chance to become a reality.

There are a couple of gold sinks in place but the amount of gold is so low that they are not effective: cs listing price, guild charter purchase. What about some new form of quests; you would have to pay a premium to accept them and the end product is a desirable prize, maybe use the hard to acquire crafting pieces or even some of the non set pinks from Nuri's campaign. Maybe even a completely brand new set, much like how cyber set was. Talk to Nuri and she will offer you a quest, kill 1000 zombies in Haunted Symphony and get a para scrap/glyph blade steel and since the item is a quest reward it won't be tradable or sellable. Quests would cost 25k to start for crafting parts (maybe 100k for blade steel), and 250k to start for actual gear. This idea basically makes it so you're buying these items along with a bit of work and the finished product you cannot sell or try to recoup your losses via cs, so once the gold is spent it's gone.

Love the post, as always.

While this is true, eventually it will catch up with them and bankrupt them. I know a few players that lost millions doing that at nuri launch time.

Welcome to the forums.

Guilds!!!!!

Let us custumize our guild hall for cash! Things to add could cost 20k-5mil. This is the perfect gold sink.

Was thinking of this after seeing Yvonnel's post, +1.

This is the simplest one to implement.

Listing fees that scale upwards a bit more for high priced items.
Was thinking of that too, a while ago. I'd actually like a smaller fixed price and a higher percentage. Listing stuff for under 2k doesn't pay off too much.

KOL had a big problem with this. They made a bunch of silly things that cost a fair amount of gold and siphoned it out of the economy. Stuff like the ability to "send" another player a birthday card or cake or a Valentine's Greeting or a balloon bouquet, things like that. One of the most popular items was the Wall of Graffiti--you purchased your can of spray paint for gold and painted whatever slogan struck your fancy (keeping it semi-clean at least). Stuff stayed on the wall for 3 days, I think, before it faded out. If you wanted it back up, you bought more paint.

And David's idea really isn't that silly--make some vanities purchasable only with gold. It doesn't have to be the same as the plat versions--gold antenna, anyone? :)

ETA: Hey, there's an idea. Make a wall (or four or five) in Balefort "Memorial Walls". You buy a brick with your char's name on it for gold and it goes into the wall, on display for future generations of gamers to wonder what the heck an Otukura/Apollo/Mysticaldream/Rauen is. :D

Hehe, also love the post, as always. I'd buy a brick for each of my characters. Only thing I don't like is that it's a one time thing, not something you'd be buying a lot of.

Ayc2000
10-20-2011, 06:46 PM
Hehe, also love the post, as always. I'd buy a brick for each of my characters. Only thing I don't like is that it's a one time thing, not something you'd be buying a lot of.
every month costs 100k?
or there could be some glorified bricks that you have to pay monthly for...then when/if you quit, you can revert back to the normal brick with no monthly fee

Whirlzap
10-20-2011, 10:45 PM
Simple. Make the Omnipotent Crown of HARDCORE Dreams available to be bought with gold. Will 5 mil do the job?;)
You spent Omnipotent wrong. Good idea, but call it Hardcore, because it's not only for people who are rich in real life.

Whirlzap
10-20-2011, 10:53 PM
Flooding the markets would defeat the purpose of a pink, making it non legendary. Something no one liked at level 45. I'm not sure if this is an anyway influenced by your wealth, but I think that it would be a plus for merchants. You, say, 100m might be worth 3 times the value now.

I'm agreeing with Tank on this.
DROP RATES ARE WAY TO DANG HIGH!
Some game I played before, heck, the lowest drop rate was so low it took developers a few weeks to test it.
Around 0.0067 I think. And the drop is the best weapon in-game from the highest level boss.
In this way, we would only see one of these drops maybe once every month or so of the whole community farming.
In other games, 0.5% drop rates were considered to be high and such. But here, we have like...1% drop rates and still complain lol.:/

Whirlzap
10-20-2011, 10:57 PM
Some suggestions for gold sinks:
GAME-WIDE Message Microphones, 50k or something fee per use. It would be a function available to all and simply for advertising, fun, or other purposes.
Restrictions are:
-Swear Word Filter
-5 minute cooldown to prevent spamming
-Limit of 100 characters to prevent flooding

Otukura
10-20-2011, 11:08 PM
I'm agreeing with Tank on this.
DROP RATES ARE WAY TO DANG HIGH!

Tank wants to make them higher.... Anyway, I'm sorta opposed to the idea of Megaphone type things. Every game I've seen it in is a dying game, and they seemed to be put there just to draw the last bit of money out of the consumer's pockets they can.

Otukura
05-17-2012, 11:12 PM
NECRO, cuz I still think it's relevant, more than ever.

NECROREAPER
05-19-2012, 03:34 PM
NECRO, cuz I still think it's relevant, more than ever.

Oh hai

XghostzX
05-19-2012, 06:24 PM
I didn't realize this was kind of a bad problem after reading all of these posts. There are simple things that have been listed above that should definitely create a gold sink:

1.) Guild Hall decorations.

2.) More customization for your character through gold: too many items are in the store that cost plat.

3.) Not even a guild hall... housing would be better too!

Although I don't think that players should have the ability to purchase platinum through gold.

Phoenixking
05-19-2012, 06:43 PM
Mounts and pets for golds, item combinations, gem and lil peices added to items badges on chest, create a sheild (put your logo on a vanity sheild) paint walls (guild hall some town area), ability to hang pictures (tap to zoom), book of guild memories (book in a pedestal in guild hall with memorable pics. All for gold, now I'll (-O.O)--[]_GO_] on specifics

Mounts And Pets

In a certain town there will be a stable with mounts in them, you can rent them for a period of time like renting a horse in a tourist spot. And it's a certain price per hour or per minutes for gold, you get more speed, and the better and more cools that the mount is the higher the price by better I mean higher speed, armor, and dodge.
pets shouldn't just be for people with plat. More uncool pets would be able to be bought by the stable npc, some would give a stat boost the higher the price the better the boost+the cool look enhanced.
stable master will be the npc with a stable by them

item combination

not such a good idea but you will be able to combine an item from the same level, classification (int dex str) type of weapon (dagger talon crossbow gun longbow wand staff sword hammer mace axe stick bracer sheild wing leather robe plate cap hood helmet) for example you combine a drainers bow with a raid roach bow and you get a new look as in a mixture of them. And new stats, the bigger stats are the one it's focused on, this will give variety, one its been combined its impossible to do it again. You can't sell the combined items.
crafters can be the npcs for this

gems and sparkly thingies or eye catching things

things like gems *like the things that girl put on their stuff* but more cool. You can add gems to your armor sheild helm or weapon. You can get gems as a drop and pay the npc to allow customization
you can add things that sparkle you'll have to buy the items, an example would be. I want my bracer to have a fiery aura how do I do this? :o you buy the customization to make it look like that, one customization per item that's it's implemented on, if it's been customized when you sell the item, the customization will me deleted.
items and add-ons, you can add amulets to your armor or little design items, like a vampire or a cross or a dragon on it and you'll have to buy it from the npc
the npc will be am item customization npc. With treasure chest by them

More to be added

Livemau
05-19-2012, 07:15 PM
dude houses in a castle for the guild where we can buy more stash slots and only we can enter unless we inv someone inside

Swimmingstar
05-19-2012, 09:54 PM
Teleportation
Base/House
More elixirs for gold.

Nick41324
05-20-2012, 06:26 PM
Very smart idea.
Instead of that helm, what about vanity pets? 1m for a fairly large selection of different vanities? Much like DL

Windwaiker
05-20-2012, 06:56 PM
Maybe we need to buy recipes for gold, like for the components. Example would be, 2000g for a bloodstone setting recipe or whatever.

Otukura
05-20-2012, 06:58 PM
Recipes, additions to the guild hall, etc. are closer to one time things, elixirs in AO3 were like every-run when farming.

Buffedbear Pl
06-09-2012, 07:42 PM
How about adding Guild Levels. You can donate gold to a guild and the more gold donated the higher the guild level. Ex: Total gold donated from all players : 50k = Lv. 2 Guild, 100k Lv. 3, 250k Lv. 4, etc.

There could be leader boards for highest guild level and stuff

Edit: Eh, semi-old thread. Topic still relevant.

Whirlzap
06-10-2012, 08:01 PM
Hi.
S> Anti-Necro Spray.
Thanks.

Please just look at the date of the previous post before adding a new one to it...

Otukura
06-10-2012, 08:41 PM
Topic is still relevant.

s) classes in learning how to read.

Fusionstrike
06-11-2012, 05:46 PM
I can't remember who posted it, but one other idea I've seen is a "vanity maker". That is, you could take any item you have and turn it into a vanity item. This means you could make yourself look however you want regardless of the actual gear you're using. The idea is you take the item and a big amount of gold, do something like "craft" it into a vanity, and then you have a new vanity item. The original item and all its stats/abilities/etc are lost in the process, so it only preserves the look of the item. This would have the dual effect of providing a huge range of customization options for toons as well as offering a place to spend those coins people keep piling up.

Dynastu
06-19-2012, 02:38 PM
Perhaps achievements will cause a minor gold sink. In DL, there are "costume" achievements. In PL, for instance, they could have a "voodoo achievement," where you get an achievement for equipping a full voodoo staff set. Or a "demonic strength set achievement," etc. People will go off and buy expensive sets. Yes, lots of merchants will also buy these sets, then resell, and raise the price of these items. But when this happens, it will still drain more gold from someone else.

If these kinds of achievements are not included, I would suggest that they are.

Windwaiker
06-20-2012, 04:31 PM
These achievements do exist. There's one for equipping a full mount fang set, sewers, etc.

Dynastu
06-21-2012, 01:13 PM
These achievements do exist. There's one for equipping a full mount fang set, sewers, etc.

Yes, and I'm glad they do exist :) I posted that a few hours before the update was released

Chopper
06-22-2012, 01:40 PM
I say have merchants sell things that people actually want, instead of weaker versions of things you already have. Yes, also move some plat items to gold, if only minor ones and temporarily if you want.

How about some longer time elixirs for gold? At least for a short amount of time. That will help

bramer
07-10-2012, 07:18 PM
I just ignore the economy of pl lol

Jblazer
07-10-2012, 07:37 PM

Or 10 mil xD

Intenze
07-24-2012, 11:21 AM
A good gold sink requires money that is paid back directly into the game, and not to another player. Even if item or crafting materials are high (like currently) this does nothing to help resolve the lack of a gold sink issue.

This is because money is not actually being taken out of the PL Economy. It just is being moved from one player to another, but more and more gold/items is still being generated causing further inflation.

Only something like gold potions, elixirs, or purchases from other vendors will do the trick. A lot of the suggestions in this thread are spot on. I personally think the best way would be to have crafting items that must be purchases with gold-- for example an extra crafting component for each item that costs like 500k, which will help to completely remove this money from the PL economy. Gold based vanities would also be a good solution.