PDA

View Full Version : Int skill damage?

Appleisaac
10-20-2011, 08:38 PM
Hey guys,

I was just wondering if adding int to your bear makes his skill damage higher then str. I know that int has more skill damage then dex in birds, but I wasn't sure if it was the same way with bears

Thanks

Silentarrow
10-20-2011, 08:41 PM
Dex is the best for all bird builds.
Strength is the best for all bear builds.
Int. Is the best for all mage builds.

Hope this helps!

Appleisaac
10-20-2011, 08:47 PM
... Thanks but that's not really what I meant. I am talking about skill damage.

Let's say I have a bird. If I give that bird 5 skill points in int. My bird will have higher skill damage then a guy who put 5 points in dex.

What I do not know however is if this applies to bears with str.

Plz help me! I'm trying to make my int bear as effective as possible.

WhoIsThis
10-20-2011, 09:12 PM
We know that dex gives slightly more than str. I suspect that int might. Don't know for sure.

For sure though, int weapons will give a lot more skill damage than their dex counterparts.

Silentarrow
10-20-2011, 09:42 PM
... Thanks but that's not really what I meant. I am talking about skill damage.

Let's say I have a bird. If I give that bird 5 skill points in int. My bird will have higher skill damage then a guy who put 5 points in dex.

What I do not know however is if this applies to bears with str.

Plz help me! I'm trying to make my int bear as effective as possible.

That is incorrect. Dexterity increases skill damage much more for birds than int does.
For bears, strength increases skill damage more than int.

Trust me :).

Appleisaac
10-23-2011, 07:35 AM
Actually it's true. I have tested with it.

vaffunculo
10-23-2011, 07:44 AM
Intelligence is what raises your damage for skills, you are correct. Doesn't matter what class you are...if it uses mana intelligence is the stat that increases the damage or effectiveness.

Moogerfooger
10-23-2011, 09:26 AM
Intelligence is what raises your damage for skills, you are correct. Doesn't matter what class you are...if it uses mana intelligence is the stat that increases the damage or effectiveness.

Not true, sorry, at least for archers. Probably is true for enchantress, but not sure for bear either although I am not wasting any more plat to find out.

Following for a 61 bird, no vanity set, no ring, I left 140 dex so I could wear Demonic dex set.

Pure dex has ~5-10% higher skill damage than a dex/int hybrid. (Indirectly another reason why I wonder Int/Dex birds exist at end game). If Int raised skill damage across all classes, then a Int/Dex hybrid would have have more skill damage than pure dex. I give you....

Pure Dex:
Blast Shot: 405-426
Avian Scream: 319-389
Repulse Shot: 332-352
Blinding Shot: 310-374

140 Dex/168 Int:
Blast Shot: 379-385
Avian Scream: 294-366
Repulse Shot: 316-334
Blinding Shot: 292-355

NoobianOfAlterra
10-23-2011, 09:36 AM
Look at my thread and comparisons in my sig, everything else is INCREDIBLY outdated lol ( bout skill dmg bir in)

Yvonnel
10-23-2011, 09:36 AM
Here is a link to a post that explains it. Dex is primary for Archers, Int is primary for Enchantresses, and Str is primary for Warriors. Buy primary I mean has the greatest empact on the class specifically.

Guide from one of the Greats!

"To the greats who came before us and guided us with their wisdom, we remember and miss you!"

Had to say it with respest, miss you guys Physio and Royce!

Tapatalk'd from my PowerWashed Fascinate

Moogerfooger
10-23-2011, 10:01 AM
Here is a link to a post that explains it. Dex is primary for Archers, Int is primary for Enchantresses, and Str is primary for Warriors. Buy primary I mean has the greatest empact on the class specifically.

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?p=220482

"To the greats who came before us and guided us with their wisdom, we remember and miss you!"

Yeah, is a bummer that most on that thread are gone/moved on. Actually ran into Royce for a while on another game, and then he went MIA on that one too. I think he gets bored quickly and finds something else :)

JaytB
10-23-2011, 10:06 AM

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?p=220482

True, great guide. Only this one doesn't talk about skill dmg. The dmg calculations in that post are all for auto-attack dmg, not skill dmg.

Moogerfooger
10-23-2011, 10:40 AM
True, great guide. Only this one doesn't talk about skill dmg. The dmg calculations in that post are all for auto-attack dmg, not skill dmg.

True, true. It is, however, the way to calculate set bonuses :D Figure out what you should have, stat/gear-wise, with this and then see what one has with a set and subtract the 'should have'.

vaffunculo
10-23-2011, 10:47 AM
I do believe as I said before, intelligence controls damage output of mana associated damage...dex increases weapon damage..I have tried out on a little bear I have...imo tho int is wasted on any class except elf because there are other advantages to having pur dex on a bird/bear that outweigh the small damage increase your spells would see, such as increased dodge and armor, and don't forget hit%. Mooger, maybe those differences on damage were due to a way lower hit% from the huge loss of dex on the int build?

Moogerfooger
10-23-2011, 11:01 AM
I do believe as I said before, intelligence controls damage output of mana associated damage...dex increases weapon damage..

This is simply not true. Int is not the only thing that controls skill (aka "mana-associated") damage. I am not sure how many different people have to say it. Does Int hurt skill damage? No, but in at least the case of archers, it does not provide as much skill damage as pure dex.

Dex does not only increase weapon damage, it affects archer skill damage as well. At one point in the past I took my weapon off and played around with various amounts of dex and str, NEVER any Int, and my skill damages were higher the more dex I had.

vaffunculo
10-23-2011, 11:05 AM
I do believe as I said before, intelligence controls damage output of mana associated damage...dex increases weapon damage..

This is simply not true. Int is not the only thing that controls skill (aka "mana-associated") damage. I am not sure how many different people have to say it. Dex does not only increase weapon damage, it affects archer skill damage as well. At one point in the past I took my weapon off and played around with various amounts of dex and str, NEVER any Int, and my skill damages were higher the more dex I had.
Again I will ask because I'm not positive and haven't checked it but could that not be because of the much higher hit % with pure dex? Or does hit % not affect spells?

Ellyidol
10-23-2011, 11:10 AM
Again I will ask because I'm not positive and haven't checked it but could that not be because of the much higher hit % with pure dex? Or does hit % not affect spells?

You don't need to factor in Hit % to know that dex adds more skill damage than int does for birds. You just have to look at the skill descriptions.

AFAIK, the best damage builds for each class are pure dex for birds, pure int for mages, str/dex hybrid for bears. This is just based on skill damage alone, not factoring in crit and hit for DPS.

vaffunculo
10-23-2011, 11:19 AM
I just tested and you are correct, skills higher with full dex on bird..it was not making sense to me I think because I was viewing the skills as "magic" which it was in any other mmo game I ever played therefore int being the deciding factor. Here in pl obviously different.

WhoIsThis
10-23-2011, 11:21 AM
As a general rule:

- For mages, int adds the most skill damage, with high variance. Dex adds quite a bit too, but not as high, although the variance is less. Str adds the least.
- For bears and especially birds, dex adds the most.

vaffunculo
10-23-2011, 11:26 AM
As a general rule:

- For mages, int adds the most skill damage, with high variance. Dex adds quite a bit too, but not as high, although the variance is less. Str adds the least.
I was wondering why on my mage if I am hybrid dex/int or full int my spell damage really was not increased enough to justify losing armor and dodge for...why is this only true for elf?

WhoIsThis
10-23-2011, 11:49 AM
Because the different types of classes generally have the core skills, which add the most skill damage; exception is bear, where dex gives about 1% on average more.

Blind
10-23-2011, 08:33 PM
The only possible reason u'd go intel, is for using the blast staff at lvl 51-55 in sewers. When you beckon the mob in the a wall the aoe from blast staff kills it in two hits. Other than sewers - dex all the way. Str is only good in pvp.

Yvonnel
10-24-2011, 10:14 AM
The only possible reason u'd go intel, is for using the blast staff at lvl 51-55 in sewers. When you beckon the mob in the a wall the aoe from blast staff kills it in two hits. Other than sewers - dex all the way. Str is only good in pvp.

I have to disagree. I run pure int. AOE skill damage with a staff at level 61 is unmatched. Throw in a 4x elixir. Nuff Said!

crestmage
11-03-2011, 03:17 AM
Dunno why anyone will want to make an Int bear anyway. Low dps, almost as weak armor, low health regen etc. Skill dam remains the same as a full strength bear would. Probably higher by a BIT. But please ask yourself: is it really worth it to have slightly higher skill dam (20-40 higher, i guess), and lose all specs like crit, regen(health), armor, hit etc.
If ur answer is yes, then theres nothing i can say except: have fun dying in PL! No pun intended...

kiitz
11-03-2011, 07:31 PM
Dunno why anyone will want to make an Int bear anyway. Low dps, almost as weak armor, low health regen etc. Skill dam remains the same as a full strength bear would. Probably higher by a BIT. But please ask yourself: is it really worth it to have slightly higher skill dam (20-40 higher, i guess), and lose all specs like crit, regen(health), armor, hit etc.
If ur answer is yes, then theres nothing i can say except: have fun dying in PL! No pun intended...

**Everything I am saying below is for PvE purposes, NOT PvP**

My bear, Kiitz, is currently an Int/Dex bear, and there are many pros as well as cons. From the sound of it, you have never played an int bear and probably have formed your opinions based on what you've read on the forums, where for a strange reason there is an overall negative feeling toward int bears.

The damage potential for an int bear is not the same as a full strength bear by any stretch of the imagination. Full strength bears have the lowest damage potential for basically any class/spec set up and I am going to put my neck out there by saying that a well played Int/Dex bear will be the best mob killing spec for any bear with the highest damage potential against groups of enemies. The biggest difference and really ONLY reason to have any int in your bear build will be so that you can equip fire based staffs with AOE effects. Equipping AOE staffs has 2 main effects:

1.) Your skill damage goes up quite a bit because you are using a 2 handed staff which for some reason seems to translate a lot of DPS into skill damage (much like bows, X-bows, etc).
2.) Your auto attack now has the ability to trigger an AOE attack which its extremely effective at killing tight groups of enemies.

Obviously, bears are amazing at grouping up enemies into tight groups, so combining that innate ability to group enemies with an autoattack that mows down tightly grouped enemies is a recepie for an amazing mob killing machine.

The downsides:
There are downsides to speccing out of strength. We can assume that the 2 options you are choosing between are int/dex and str/dex, the most popular spec for serious end-game bears. You are giving up some health, armor and dodge which makes it harder to stay alive. An int bear is more difficult to play because the margin for error is smaller. You must keep your eye on your health bar and be ready to spam pots in a moments notice.

The reality of it is that this is not that much difference from someone playing a str/dex bear wearing their dex loadout, and spamming pots will not be new to anyone looking for the extra damage edge by sacrificing some of their survivability.

Further, there are many things that can be done to increase your overall survivability. I am going to talk about Haunted Symphony because that is one of the main maps being run for experience, and it also happens to be one of the easiest maps to die in due to the dreaded Tomb-Stone.

Obvious ways to increase survivability is to rotate cooldowns and time cooldowns. This is basic so I am not going to go into further detail.

The biggest tool a bear has for staying alive is actually just keeping the mobs stunned while they are being killed. Beckon (stun), Stop (stun), hell scream (mini stun). It leaves you and your team a good 3-4 seconds of stun-time to kill everything. The only dangerous part then, is getting into position.

A big factor, which I see many people ignoring is that tomb-stones only come from the zombies, which ONLY have melee attacks and have extremely low rates of movement. All you have to do is avoid moving into melee range of specifically the zombies when moving into position. The skeleton archers have death-shot, but it does not hit as hard as tomb-stone and can easily be potted through.

After writing all of this, I think I should just put together a guide on the int bear and take the time to take the pictures and spend a few plat to respec back and forth to show you guys the differences. I'm surprised I haven't seen Conradin in here telling us he has been meaning to put together a guide. (JUST KIDDING!) Also, shout out to the OG int bear, Htiek. I originally saw him with something insane, like 100k kill to a few hundred death ratio and only looked into int bear because I found out that was how he achieved it.

Kiitz

crestmage
11-03-2011, 07:58 PM

My bear, Kiitz, is currently an Int/Dex bear, and there are many pros as well as cons. From the sound of it, you have never played an int bear and probably have formed your opinions based on what you've read on the forums, where for a strange reason there is an overall negative feeling toward int bears.

The damage potential for an int bear is not the same as a full strength bear by any stretch of the imagination. Full strength bears have the lowest damage potential for basically any class/spec set up and I am going to put my neck out there by saying that a well played Int/Dex bear will be the best mob killing spec for any bear with the highest damage potential against groups of enemies. The biggest difference and really ONLY reason to have any int in your bear build will be so that you can equip fire based staffs with AOE effects. Equipping AOE staffs has 2 main effects:

1.) Your skill damage goes up quite a bit because you are using a 2 handed staff which for some reason seems to translate a lot of DPS into skill damage (much like bows, X-bows, etc).
2.) Your auto attack now has the ability to trigger an AOE attack which its extremely effective at killing tight groups of enemies.

Obviously, bears are amazing at grouping up enemies into tight groups, so combining that innate ability to group enemies with an autoattack that mows down tightly grouped enemies is a recepie for an amazing mob killing machine.

The downsides:
There are downsides to speccing out of strength. We can assume that the 2 options you are choosing between are int/dex and str/dex, the most popular spec for serious end-game bears. You are giving up some health, armor and dodge which makes it harder to stay alive. An int bear is more difficult to play because the margin for error is smaller. You must keep your eye on your health bar and be ready to spam pots in a moments notice.

The reality of it is that this is not that much difference from someone playing a str/dex bear wearing their dex loadout, and spamming pots will not be new to anyone looking for the extra damage edge by sacrificing some of their survivability.

Further, there are many things that can be done to increase your overall survivability. I am going to talk about Haunted Symphony because that is one of the main maps being run for experience, and it also happens to be one of the easiest maps to die in due to the dreaded Tomb-Stone.

Obvious ways to increase survivability is to rotate cooldowns and time cooldowns. This is basic so I am not going to go into further detail.

The biggest tool a bear has for staying alive is actually just keeping the mobs stunned while they are being killed. Beckon (stun), Stop (stun), hell scream (mini stun). It leaves you and your team a good 3-4 seconds of stun-time to kill everything. The only dangerous part then, is getting into position.

A big factor, which I see many people ignoring is that tomb-stones only come from the zombies, which ONLY have melee attacks and have extremely low rates of movement. All you have to do is avoid moving into melee range of specifically the zombies when moving into position. The skeleton archers have death-shot, but it does not hit as hard as tomb-stone and can easily be potted through.

After writing all of this, I think I should just put together a guide on the int bear and take the time to take the pictures and spend a few plat to respec back and forth to show you guys the differences. I'm surprised I haven't seen Conradin in here telling us he has been meaning to put together a guide. (JUST KIDDING!) Also, shout out to the OG int bear, Htiek. I originally saw him with something insane, like 100k kill to a few hundred death ratio and only looked into int bear because I found out that was how he achieved it.

Kiitz

Lol that is sufficent enough to be a quick guide. :)
But what u said is true. all i said r based on forum posts and whatnot. I have not REALLY played a int bear before, though i tried it once as an experimental build.(trying to be honest here) And, also, i didnt know u were talking bout pve, cuz in pvp its not gonna help with a int bear. But on personal opinion i still think that bears dont need the int to fight at all. Anyways, these things like stats and builds are all based on personal preference. If u insist on int bear, then go for it man!:applause:

kiitz
11-03-2011, 08:06 PM
Lol that is sufficent enough to be a quick guide. :)
But what u said is true. all i said r based on forum posts and whatnot. I have not REALLY played a int bear before, though i tried it once as an experimental build.(trying to be honest here) And, also, i didnt know u were talking bout pve, cuz in pvp its not gonna help with a int bear. But on personal opinion i still think that bears dont need the int to fight at all. Anyways, these things like stats and builds are all based on personal preference. If u insist on int bear, then go for it man!:applause:

Haha, thanks. Yeah, Int bear in PvP is pretty worthless.

Whirlzap
11-04-2011, 05:07 PM
As a general rule:

With actual testing by JaytB, a dex mage with the Archer Set does has more damage for the skills.

Also, INT has different effects on each different class.
Just like DEX and STR.

Whirlzap
11-04-2011, 05:09 PM

The downsides:

Kiitz
Nah, Htiek just had lots of time on his hands.

Drekkthar
11-07-2011, 04:55 PM
Respecced today and love it! Definetly does most damage, although most squishy build for bear. I do not recommend for bears that arent experienced. Think bow bear that does more damage but with less armor. Current point allocation is 140 int, rest dex. Try it, youll be surprised how much damage you do.
My 2 cents.