PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Weapons

Growwle
10-21-2011, 11:56 AM
Is there some hidden stat or mechanic that makes heavy weapons worth taking over a rifle or heavy pistol? Stat wise the level 35 plat heavy weapons are significantly worse than my level 30 plat rifle (except for 1% hit and 10 health I believe). This sucks because the chain gun looks really cool.

Deathpunch
10-21-2011, 12:05 PM
AoE damage.

Kahlua
10-21-2011, 12:05 PM
Heavy weapons have a "spread" that after each hit, it damages a surrounding area. So if you shoot at a group, everything in that group takes damage. They're only useful over the rifle for that reason.

Navygreen
10-21-2011, 12:09 PM
Nice, I didn't know that. Thanks :)

Kahlua
10-21-2011, 12:16 PM
Should probably point out it's only the heavy cannons; the two handed weapons. Heavy pistols are nothing more than....heavier pistols.

Navygreen
10-21-2011, 12:31 PM
Good to know, thanks!

Growwle
10-21-2011, 12:37 PM
Interesting, STS should put that in the weapon description. Guess I will go the heavy wep for trash, rifle for boss route.

FluffNStuff
10-21-2011, 12:50 PM
Heavy weapons have a "spread" that after each hit, it damages a surrounding area. So if you shoot at a group, everything in that group takes damage. They're only useful over the rifle for that reason.

Well that changes everything for my baby Commando!
Thanks!

LelouchX
10-21-2011, 12:54 PM
I was under the impression it was only the com specific heavy cannon that offered the AOE damage, which makes sense bc it will help the com take/hold aggro. Anyone using the term "heavy weapon" can you please clarify if you mean the com specific heavy cannon or any heavy weapon when you say it offers AOE damage?

Kahlua
10-21-2011, 12:56 PM
I was under the impression it was only the com specific heavy cannon that offered the AOE damage, which makes sense bc it will help the com take/hold aggro. Anyone using the term "heavy weapon" can you please clarify if you mean the com specific heavy cannon or any heavy weapon when you say it offers AOE damage?

The commandos are the only class who can use the AOE heavy cannon. All other big weapons are considered rifles. The image for the guns are different too, with one being much larger and wider. Heavy pistols are used by everyone but do not offer AOE damage :)

melancholy-storm
10-21-2011, 01:09 PM
A common misconception I see echoing throughout the realm is that people are choosing weapons based on damage per hit rather than the DPS. For those you who are new to RPGs, damage as well as the speed of the weapon is used to calculate Damage Per Second (DPS). In Star Legends, the pistols have more DPS than two-handed rifles and yet allow players to equip a shield, whereas rifles do more damage but have a slower firing rate, thus having a lower DPS. I've always wondered if rifles have a hidden armor-piercing hit, but in my experience, pistols have more destructive power than rifles for single targets, especially enemies with high health like bosses.

LelouchX
10-21-2011, 01:11 PM
The commandos are the only class who can use the AOE heavy cannon. All other big weapons are considered rifles. The image for the guns are different too, with one being much larger and wider. Heavy pistols are used by everyone but do not offer AOE damage :)
That's what i thought, thanks for quick clarification

FluffNStuff
10-21-2011, 01:15 PM
A common misconception I see echoing throughout the realm is that people are choosing weapons based on damage per hit rather than the DPS. For those you who are new to RPGs, damage as well as the speed of the weapon is used to calculate Damage Per Second (DPS). In Star Legends, the pistols have more DPS than two-handed rifles and yet allow players to equip a shield, whereas rifles do more damage but have a slower firing rate, thus having a lower DPS. I've always wondered if rifles have a hidden armor-piercing hit, but in my experience, pistols have more destructive power than rifles for single targets, especially enemies with high health like bosses.

Not looking at DPS, but ~effective~ DPS which is =
DPS = (Damage - Enemy Armor Reduction) / Shot Time.

For a high Armor enemy the effective DPS on a slower, higher powered weapon can be significantly more then the faster weapon.

Kahlua
10-21-2011, 01:15 PM

Just one thing to keep in mind about DPS that I always say to people. It doesn't apply directly to what you said, but just adds on to the topic:

"You can throw a bunch of pebbles at a pretty fast rate, but it sure won't hurt as much as a rock"

Cahaun
10-22-2011, 03:50 AM
True true...
Ow! One hit me! :D

CanonicalKoi
10-22-2011, 12:09 PM
Recognizing "light" and "heavy" weapons in use:

(Nuke Light--a third less filling)
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll81/Moorit/NukeLight.png

(Nuke Heavy--no offense)
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll81/Moorit/NukeHeavy.png

The heavy cannons are really nice when you first start out (in fact, it's your starter weapon in the game) because you'll kill guys you aren't aiming at with the AoE. Bad news--AoE means you can kill party members by blowing up things you aren't aiming at. :/ I do like them for bosses, tho.

Kahlua
10-22-2011, 12:19 PM
You always help me out with the pictures when I can't supply them lol :)

Cahaun
10-22-2011, 01:15 PM
I made a character that only uses the HW's. So far he made lvl 16! :p

CanonicalKoi
10-22-2011, 01:40 PM
You always help me out with the pictures when I can't supply them lol :)

Sigh. I have accepted it as my lot in life. ;) (For you, any time.)

javier995
10-22-2011, 01:53 PM
What they said. :)

Fac3bon3s
10-22-2011, 10:08 PM
I use canons on my Comm. I decided to stay with a tank build so it made sense. In order to make sure everything hates you more than your friends you gotta hit em first. So I'll run into a mob shooting furthest enemy with my auto attack then pop Growing Rage, Pop Nebula, Graviton Slam and finish with singularity. I then hit Increase Mass and Vigor. If anything is still alive after that cycle then my group was not shooting anything. This seems to work well for me. As long as your group mates focus on ranged first when you hit Singularity at the end you end up taking little to no damage.