PDA

View Full Version : Bombs, Barricades, and Grenades - Surviving the Shipyard

IBNobody
10-22-2011, 08:42 AM
Here are some tips for handling environmental hazards in the Shipyard.

BOMBS (Proximity Mines):

In order to diffuse bombs, you must wait at the outer parameter of their detection zone. You must quickly dash in and use them once the red detection floor circle. There is little time to waste. You can tell when the bombs are going to redetect by watching the red square on the side of the canister. The bombs redetect on the 3rd pulse of the square.

If you are in a group, only have one bomb diffuser. Multiple diffusers don't help. It only increases casualities if the bomb goes off.

Characters with high dodge have the chance to avoid damage.

If you have a skill with a long cooldown (Op's Precision) and are travelling with a team with an Engineer, you might want to volunteer for bomb duty. Blowing yourself up resets your skill cooldown timers. Just be sure to arrange this with the group first, so you don't kill others with you.

Enemies are apparently immune to the blasts.

BARRICADES:

Passing near a barricade grants a 5 second buff that increases your dodge by 10. The buff remains on you, but it will only refresh if you are still near the barricade. The barricades can boost a dodge-focused engineer to a max of 44 dodge!

Be careful, though. If an enemy gets too close to a barricade, they will get the buff and dodge bonus too. Use commando pushes/pulls and operative pushes to keep enemies away.

GRENADES:

Some cultists can throw sticky grenades at you. These appear as light blue balls and have a light blue smoky effect. If you are low on HP, these can kill you easily. What's worse, these grenades do AoE damage to your teammates.

Grenade-tossing enemies often lead with this attack, so be warned.

If you are tanking, be sure to stay ahead of your group to attract grenades.

If you are low on HP and are facing grenade throwers, be sure to stay at max range from your foes. Let others take the hits.

Kahlua
10-22-2011, 08:53 AM
I. Hate. Grenades. hatehatehatehatehatehate.

I used around 800 stims yesterday alone. 800. I died 30 times. I had 12 deaths going in to Shipyards. Sure, a lot of my deaths are from that glitch where you die with HP left...but yeah.

I love that it's harder, in fact I'd rather the levels be like this...but I wish they didn't ALL throw grenades in the later levels.
I'm pretty sure it's the guys in the red robes with the signs that throw them. You can dodge the grenades, but if it hits you, it's gonna hit you hard. The damage is effected by armor like all other damages. I got hit significantly harder when I was just in my normal armor then I did when I buffed 300 armor with increase mass after seeing the white words "plasma grenade whateverwhatever" pop up on the screen.

I'd take more land mines or some other obstacles over all these grenades. There just doesn't seem to be a lot of engineers anymore :(

EDIT: LOL just reread the bomb defusal part. Using Ops as suicide bombers? lolololol that's awesome. I mean yeah, if it resets the skill timers, why not? If someone doesn't care about their KDR, might as well use them as kamikazes. Everytime someone accidentally triggers a bomb, I like to poke fun at them by saying "well that's ONE way to do it" or "ty for defusing." :D

jenniebeans
10-22-2011, 09:47 AM
Thank you...very helpful post. Like Kahlua, my death toll went from 25 to 40 because of those stinking bombs...grrr. All in all I learned some very helpful and handy tips to start my day at the shipyard :-) Thanks again!

Cahaun
10-22-2011, 09:54 AM
That's hilarious! I remember when I accidentally set one off I said "Bomb diffused!" lol
I also remember the hostages too. I made a new catch phrase from it!
"Don't come any..." BOOM!
Lol I finally managed to beat that one. :p

Kahlua
10-22-2011, 10:06 AM
haha we just run by the hostages saying "sorry guys gotta farm."

Although the one time we did try to save them for the quest, we had some kid who joined our party purposely run right at them to set off the bombs -.-

Rodvik
10-22-2011, 10:41 AM
Ohh those grenades are the worst! Lol

DRONE769
10-22-2011, 10:52 AM
Hmmmm. Sticy grenades. Blue. Smokey stuff. Reminds you of some first person shooter thats 10th anniversary is going on and is making a anniversary edition, a fourth game, and the main character is a man named john with a nagging AI and wears a powered suit of armor. Ehh... I guess thats just me

BodMaster
10-22-2011, 11:21 AM
Great tips IB! On the ball as usual ;)

Glad those are not in Lvl 3 lol.. but think its time to move on to 5 farming.. :(

Kahlua
10-22-2011, 11:32 AM
Great tips IB! On the ball as usual ;)

Glad those are not in Lvl 3 lol.. but think its time to move on to 5 farming.. :(
The sticky grenades and the mines are on lvl 3 lol

Cahaun
10-22-2011, 11:54 AM
Hmmmm. Sticy grenades. Blue. Smokey stuff. Reminds you of some first person shooter thats 10th anniversary is going on and is making a anniversary edition, a fourth game, and the main character is a man named john with a nagging AI and wears a powered suit of armor. Ehh... I guess thats just me
Hmmm can't think of it atm it's on the tip of my mind ;)

BodMaster
10-22-2011, 12:27 PM
The sticky grenades and the mines are on lvl 3 lol

Ik the mines were..but the sticky? Lol I just done 8 hours of Farming on that level and didn't realise.. unless we killed them so fast they didn have a chance to use them? Lmao.

If they are on Lvl 3 then I didn find that it was difficult enough to die off those.. lol (wow..) iv died 4 times since update and they haven't been pretty.. 2 deaths tho I had nearly half health left (bomb bug maybe).. 1 wipe on boss 5 with pugs..(never again :p) and im not sure about the other 1 :p

Kahlua
10-22-2011, 12:29 PM
yeah they're definitely on lvl 3. Look for floating blue plasma balls that get tossed from the cult guys with the red robes and the signs. White words appear above your head if you get hit by one too.

BodMaster
10-22-2011, 01:18 PM
yeah they're definitely on lvl 3. Look for floating blue plasma balls that get tossed from the cult guys with the red robes and the signs. White words appear above your head if you get hit by one too.

Lol' iv seen them loads on Lvls 4-5 just not 3 maybe more of them per run in higher 4-5 says something like 'sticky explosive yadda yadda yadda' :p in white font.

Point being may need to keep an eye out from level 4-5 more than you would 1-3 :)

EpicChiliDog
10-22-2011, 01:35 PM
Yeah, those mines and I have a special bond ya know...

CanonicalKoi
10-22-2011, 01:39 PM
Also watch out for the black-robed, white-haired cultists armed with dual pistols. They heal the others in the mob. If you take them out early, it makes the mob easier to wipe.

Kahlua
10-22-2011, 01:51 PM
Also watch out for the black-robed, white-haired cultists armed with dual pistols. They heal the others in the mob. If you take them out early, it makes the mob easier to wipe.
I call them the confused operatives. Healing the team AND dual pistols? Talk about over-achievers.

BodMaster
10-22-2011, 01:53 PM
Yeah, those mines and I have a special bond ya know...

I know.. especially that mine just before the boss..

Yup the little white haired Ops can be a right pain, I find the same for the red-robed, red haired cults heal them selves pretty quick even pretty hard for a com to solo one on there own. Which im loving about the shipyard you actually need a group to run them! Unlike first few levels of Numa/Sloucho, with all that been added feel alot more players are learning how to play their class effectively.

CanonicalKoi
10-22-2011, 01:54 PM
I call them the confused operatives. Healing the team AND dual pistols? Talk about over-achievers.

Well.....Ops.....you know. ;) Or they're just wannabe Ops. I mean, who doesn't want to be an Op??!?? ;)

Kahlua
10-22-2011, 01:58 PM
Well.....Ops.....you know. ;) Or they're just wannabe Ops. I mean, who doesn't want to be an Op??!?? ;)
People who enjoy a long life expectancy...
One handed people...
People with awkwardly loud footsteps...

Yeah that's about all I can think of :D

IBNobody
10-22-2011, 02:46 PM
Lol' iv seen them loads on Lvls 4-5 just not 3 maybe more of them per run in higher 4-5 says something like 'sticky explosive yadda yadda yadda' :p in white font.

Point being may need to keep an eye out from level 4-5 more than you would 1-3 :)

They are on lv1 for sure.

CanonicalKoi
10-22-2011, 02:49 PM
They are on lv1 for sure.

And lvl2 in front of one of the two Bio-rooms (the ones with the plants), you can get a few of them there. If you grab aggro from all of them, you better be quick with the stims. (Don't ask me how I know this. :/)

BodMaster
10-22-2011, 02:59 PM
Lol! Woops I take my statement back then, I need pay more attention tho I have only had about 4-6 hrs sleep since update...! Will probably notice it a little more when running them again to 36, 49,810 xp.

CanonicalKoi
10-22-2011, 03:04 PM
Lol! Woops I take my statement back then, I need pay more attention tho I have only had about 4-6 hrs sleep since update...! Will probably notice it a little more when running them again to 36, 49,810 xp.

**attempts to look stern* I was going to ask if you ever got any sleep.... **also feels guilty about that, but hopes the stern look covers it up**

Just Me
10-22-2011, 04:20 PM
Are the barricades the ones lying on the ground and you can walk through it?

IBNobody
10-22-2011, 05:29 PM
Are the barricades the ones lying on the ground and you can walk through it?

Correct

Just Me
10-22-2011, 05:50 PM
Barricades are the ones laying on the ground and can be walked through right?

CanonicalKoi
10-22-2011, 08:56 PM
See post just above yours (post #25). :D

krazii
10-22-2011, 09:09 PM
Enemies are apparently immune to the blasts.

Great thread, lot's of juicy info, didn't know about barricades. As for the disarming bombs, I've been disarming one when I was attacked by a mob of bad guys. I stopped disarming the bomb automatically and the mobs converged on me. When he bomb went off, we all died (me and the bad guys). I've also seen others set off the bombs and a few of the bad guys die, so I think they may get damaged. Oh, and for sure whack the guys with the dual pistols first, I always notice they have white hair, easy to target that way.