PDA

View Full Version : What is/was your favorite map area?

Moogerfooger
10-23-2011, 04:38 PM
With Nuri out for almost two months now, and Mt Fang eventually on the horizon, I was thinking about the good ole days and some of the players that aren't around any more....but then I thought about my favorite area (still!) of the game.

AO3.

Tough enemies for the level (especially pre-nerf).
Cool maps.
Victory Lap! And the crazy rushes that went with it, at least initially.
In my opinion, the best looking gear so far (Cyber/Rift/Void/Cosmos)
That punk Mynas and whether he would spawn right on top of your head or not, and give up a Sunblessed Scimi or Skull Shield to make your day.
And even the Cyber quests, which could keep you occupied for quite a while. Would be nice if we could have a quest series for bonus armor that was tough to get in Nuri's (or Mt Fang, hint hint) on top of the regular/crafted armor.

So what are some of everyone's fave areas, past or present? And why?

Nourish
10-23-2011, 04:46 PM
I haven't played for to long but my favorite so far is probably the alien oasis series. Not just a specific map but all of the parts. I love how detailed it is and the pyramids.. It's just awesome!

Shadow caves a close second. I love the environment and how it's all dark and scary but nothing really drops :) more of a "play for fun" type of map.

Elyseon
10-23-2011, 04:47 PM
Im gonna have to go with the old forest haven, so many levels, bosses u met up with later(bromdandy), more quests for easy gear, and trolls in a bunch of the levels

:D

Otukura
10-23-2011, 04:48 PM
Sewers, it was casual, we had time, you could solo the whole thing, pinks dropped somewhat steadily and were't things you could make a fortune off of.

Lowlyspy
10-23-2011, 04:48 PM
Im gonna have to go with the old forest haven, so many levels, bosses u met up with later(bromdandy), more quests for easy gear, and trolls in a bunch of the levels

:D
Yup, im starting to miss old FH more and more as time goes on lol

RedRyder
10-23-2011, 04:50 PM
I second ao3. It was a campaign ahead of its time, and we've yet to see one like it. Revolutionary (for PL) weapon sets and bosses, and it was the first time actual strategies were involved with defeating the bosses. Pre nerf it'd take us 20 mins to an hour to defeat the bosses, and it took a while for anyone to figure out how to defeat the overlord. It was the first time we got cinematic intros to each boss (gurgox's was my favorite) and the gear was super cool in that they were directly related to the bosses design wise (gurgox's eye as a shield was genius, overlord based armor, the mega blaster attack animation the same as the OL, king mynas' actual shield and sword, the overlord helmet, using the keepers actual staff)

The whole campaign just showed us that STS was not a company to sleep on, and it sky rocketed their game to a whole new level. Nothing but good things to say about Ao3. A grand finale to the oasis trilogy.

I haven't played for to long but my favorite so far is probably the alien oasis series. Not just a specific map but all of the parts. I love how detailed it is and the pyramids.. It's just awesome!

Shadow caves a close second. I love the environment and how it's all dark and scary but nothing really drops :) more of a "play for fun" type of map.

Shadow caves was a part of ao3 before it became a seperate purchase :) therefore just adding to the awesomeness that is the AO trilogy :)

Roc
10-23-2011, 04:55 PM
I jumping onto the AO3 bandwagon, which is justly formed :star:. Loved pre-nerf bear pulls and the timing it took to survive an encounter with a yellow alien but post-nerf was still enjoyable. I'm also going to throw out there Frozen Nightmares :surprise: because of the potlessness it requires.

KingFu
10-23-2011, 04:56 PM
LE. I remember the day it came out being in love with it. I just loved the yeti's and design. Swamps is a close second.

Elyseon
10-23-2011, 04:58 PM
I'm also going to throw out there Frozen Nightmares :surprise: because of the potlessness it requires.

Good times doing the 1000 yeti pelts and snowballs, back when it was elite. Now 55-60s do the quests and complain. Wimps :P lol

If u didnt know u can use pots now there

RedRyder
10-23-2011, 04:59 PM
I jumping onto the AO3 bandwagon, which is justly formed :star:. Loved pre-nerf bear pulls and the timing it took to survive an encounter with a yellow alien but post-nerf was still enjoyable. I'm also going to throw out there Frozen Nightmares :surprise: because of the potlessness it used to require .

Fixed :p. pre nerf it was challenging in deed, even for 50 characters. The weapon designs were incredible too. The green ice craze was insane. I can still remember the grand feeling I had when I received a green ice bow :) a great campaign indeed. Even post nerf its pretty challenging, especially with the 1000 snowball and yeti fur quests (which I've yet to complete)

ghost.mw
10-23-2011, 05:02 PM
Sewers is the best place I've ever been to in PL because its fun and easygoing when you are with right people and the boss are fun to fight and the crafted sets its the best from how it looks to the status.

WoundedEagle
10-23-2011, 05:29 PM
There's no need to explain that AO3 was the best formed and rounded map. All though, Forest Haven town is about the nicest taken care of.

-we

Slush
10-23-2011, 06:06 PM
AO3 for sure. You'd exoect the campaigns to get better as they go, sadly that wasn't the case with Sewers and Nuri's. AO3 had new weapon/armour designs (not just re-painted ones), the drop rate meant you could actually get the item you wanted if you farmed it for a while, and the mob and boss designs were spectacular. Hopefully we see more of the same if Mt. Fang.

ThePvpTwink
10-23-2011, 07:06 PM
AO3, Halloween content, Christmas content, and PVP :D

Conradin
10-23-2011, 07:10 PM
Ao3 is the reason i am lvling my lvl 48 mage to 50- so i can just run those lvls forever.

YYZ????
10-23-2011, 07:38 PM
Hard to beat a full victory lap run. It took teamwork and the right team to go through fast.

BS when it first came out and we were all lvl 50 was also fun and challenging to figure all the bosses out.

Nuri's also had alot of potential. I think the Nuris experience was lessened by the elixir craze.

Xyzther
10-23-2011, 08:25 PM
I loved balefort castle, I remember the tomes quest 1024 chests with 50/50 chance to get o.o

Blind
10-23-2011, 08:28 PM
Crush the keeper( ah good old keeper). The overlord - so much fun. Gurgox...nah hate that guy. And finally the catacombs - best map of all time! I still sometimes get on my bear, join a pug and show those lvl 48s and 51s how to crowd control. :D

Moogerfooger
10-23-2011, 08:36 PM
Seems like a lot of people dug the AO3, with the Shadow Caves, Lost Expedition/FN and FH and Sewers mixed in.

What is telling is that I am not seeing a single person mention Nuri's so far. None of the bosses require any real kind of strategy other than the Snake Charmer ;)

Buddyf97
10-23-2011, 09:11 PM
I believe AO2 was the best when 45 was the cap. Rushing was still alive and well and there was a smaller community that basically everyone knew everyone. The were several add-ons to keep me trying for more! And the RUMORS... Omg were they crazy! We didn't have a HUGE forum community to test and prove anything. Instead we believed half of them and felt like idiots in the end...

Moogerfooger
10-23-2011, 09:21 PM
I believe AO2 was the best when 45 was the cap. Rushing was still alive and well and there was a smaller community that basically everyone knew everyone. The were several add-ons to keep me trying for more! And the RUMORS... Omg were they crazy! We didn't have a HUGE forum community to test and prove anything. Instead we believed half of them and felt like idiots in the end...

Yeah, I started when the level cap was 45 (long before my forum join date) and had no idea what rushing was until I got there....and was like, WTF are these crazies doing???? That is where I first met Royce, spouting wisdom to the noobz like me at the time.

Roc
10-23-2011, 09:26 PM
Oh my gosh, I remember 45-cap so fondly :victorious: I can distinctly remember feeling so proud putting on my Thoth and Isis armor and spending so long trying to get a Zuraz(eventually getting 2 in back to back runs :peach:)...definitely some great times :angel:

Caucakriuka
10-24-2011, 12:36 AM
I personally like AO3 as others have stated. Farming, XP etc. Even helps for some of the lower levels to help them lvl up and you still get items out of it if not xp.

Skeletonlord
10-24-2011, 12:48 AM
I loved Balefort Sewers when it was first released, Alien Oasis was really good. However I don't like Ancient Swamps. Very dull maps

Fyrce
10-24-2011, 01:12 AM
I like old FH and DF and that lots of the equips had variations. BS brought some of that back and I was happy to see it.

I loved the old swamp. So much so that I created a character (my name sake) to level solely in that area: "I grew up in the swamps and I do not need to see any more!" I liked that the swamp equips had interesting designs and themes. I would like to see more of this.

I enjoyed rushing. Rushing really got the heart pumping. It's been replaced by the elixired-party: Rush, but kill everything on the way. And without the heart-pumping part.

I enjoyed the really rare pinks and farming for a month to get one. I suppose now they're called plat vanities...?

I enjoyed Frozen Nightmares, when it killed everyone. A lot.

I enjoyed AO3, when it killed everyone. A lot.

I really enjoyed when the 1st traps/barrels came out -- funny! And blowing people across an area became a sport.

I enjoyed the 1st iteration of the Shadow Caves.

I'm not sure how enjoyable everything is now, when everyone is elixir-addicted and it's almost like rushing again. We used to practice our combos. More people seem to elixir through these day, rather than try to figure out a more elegant way.

Anyways, I'm probably just nostalgic for a simpler time.

Darkfader
10-24-2011, 03:24 AM
Swamp ftw. Mos amazing looking weapons are from there. Voodoo doll, voodoo pin, voodoo staff. I like it most.

NECROREAPER
10-24-2011, 04:28 AM
My favorite so far has to be Shadow Caves. Even as a lvl 60 party you can STILL get party wiped in two hits from the witch :/. But this is probably the only campaign where you've needed a good strategy and a good party throughout every level cap since it's inception.

I have a feeling that Mt. Fang is gonna be my new favorite though :)

cynic
10-24-2011, 06:33 AM
alien oasis and shadow cave were really fun

Riccits
10-24-2011, 06:41 AM
also here AO3 campain. it was like a new game, awesome designs of all new items which were revolutionary for. also new kind of bosses and pre-nerf it was dam hard!
i remember i never had a alien blaster in ao2, then i got my first megablaster... it was so awesome...

after that nothing exiting came anymore... just recolored old items with better stats..

Fairy
10-24-2011, 06:42 AM
AO2

and sewers (i like the calming effect of the water drops)

cynic
10-24-2011, 06:50 AM
sewers were fun too, verything before nuri was fun btw. nuri waiting was to long and killed the rest of the game :(

Uepauke
10-24-2011, 07:30 AM
I enjoyed the sewers mainly because of the challenges it presented and then, later, it was the fun of practising combos, watching the bears get better and better at round ups, and the mobs melting away with nature strikes, shatter and megas :)

I got tired of AO because of the cyber quests... oh the pain of doing pugs with the shadow shards quest (selfish folk running around releasing more monster prisoners before the last one was killed), having people tell us not to use shield at the keeper (lmao), getting the orbs snatched at Gurgox by non-mages and having to walk that long way back with the clueless saying 'rev'. After cyber and hitting 53, I did not ever want to re-enter AO. But the nice part of it was that I got to know the people I still play with today--AO seems to be the place where many made friends and actually spoke to each other.

Blind
10-24-2011, 07:40 AM
AO seems to be the place where many made friends and actually spoke to each other.
Ikr! So true, people don't speak to each other in nuri's at all. In AO and even sewers everyone made friends with each other and had fun.

Uepauke
10-24-2011, 08:17 AM
Ikr! So true, people don't speak to each other in nuri's at all. In AO and even sewers everyone made friends with each other and had fun.

I believe that part of it is the elixirs--people who are intent to get the most of their elixirs (and real money) are not going to stop and chat. But there's also something about AO that others have touched on that encourages people to talk to each other more.

JaytB
10-24-2011, 08:39 AM
The reason people talked to eachother was because some strategy was desired IMO... Gurgox, best explain not to take the rings before he farts.. Lipstick/crayon (aka overlord), better to pull the snipers out first before barging in... Victory lap, coordinate the order of the portals you're going to take. There was some talking in sewers too, especially when a good bear was coordinating where he'd pull next. In nuri's the bosses don't present much of a challenge in therms of strategy, a bear can't even beckon most of the bosses. Also the mobs in symphony hit way harder, so people are more likely to spam health pots instead of having a conversation with eachother. At least that's what I think :)

StompArtist
10-24-2011, 08:41 AM
I would have to agree with old AO3 as well as the Shadow caves when you could only access them through the portal... NOT that new desolated area on the map :(

Haowesie
10-24-2011, 04:23 PM
AO trilogy -- definitely fun!
Sand caves, balefort Sewers, shadow caves, where strategies are needed to kill boss...
Fathom crypt mega maze mash-up for level up!

pastrychef
10-25-2011, 12:04 AM
I'd have to go with AO3, as well. The quests were good. Rewards were nice (cyber gear). It as possible to get decent gear through hard work and gold/plat were not an issue. Good memories.

Necrobane
10-25-2011, 12:14 AM
I believe AO2 was the best when 45 was the cap. Rushing was still alive and well and there was a smaller community that basically everyone knew everyone. The were several add-ons to keep me trying for more! And the RUMORS... Omg were they crazy! We didn't have a HUGE forum community to test and prove anything. Instead we believed half of them and felt like idiots in the end... WORD. Couldn't have put it better. Only other thing I can think of adding was how you could rush levels 1-5 to get the rare items. Or just run plasma for steady income with isis and thoth drops, and large amounts of mob gold dropping.