PDA

View Full Version : Definitive Guide to PL

Whisper72
10-24-2011, 07:09 AM
I began this project solely for myself, gathering all manner of guides and putting them together in a printable version.
Then I thought, might as well share it, since most of the info is culled from these boards anyway...
I removed most of the pictures I had in the guide because it wouldn't upload otherwise (too big.....)

So, for everyone's enjoyment, I present you: the definitive guide to Pocket Legends...

Edit: thought to add the new guide in the first post:2888

Skeletonlord
10-24-2011, 07:26 AM
Great guide! Must have taken a while to complete

Corpser
10-24-2011, 07:26 AM
hmm im downloadin now

Edit: WOW IM SPEECHLESS!

just so good now all i want are pics lol to bad it'd be to big and its quite hard to navigate i suggest adding something that tells us what page everything is on.

Roc
10-24-2011, 07:29 AM
Wow...44 pages of PL info!!! :angel: Superb job! :biggrin:

Whisper72
10-24-2011, 07:35 AM
Thanks!

Yeah, took quite some hours of cutting/pasting, editing and writing everything together.

Good point on the index... I guess it really needs one...
I'll wait and see if there's some more feedback and then do an update... otherwise I can keep updating that index.... lol...

Zaltiar
10-24-2011, 07:38 AM
Wow! Great work on the guide Whisper72,
@^ an index would be a good addition
Definitely needs a sticky :encouragement:

NECROREAPER
10-24-2011, 07:47 AM
You got the Info in the beginning about bears all wrong

Bears are the hardest class to play correctly
Pure Str bears don't deal a lot of damage
Pure str bears can't hit the earth if they were standing on it
2h bears are effective tanks and don't die easily (I should know)
hybrid str/Dex bears are almost 100% of the time more effective than pure str bears and are just as survivable when played correctly
Str/dex builds usually go 3 points points str 2 pts dex one level, 2 pts str 3 pts dex next level, not a 3:1 ratio or 75% str 25% dex
Bears do have a ranged attack: beckon
Bird definitely isn't the hardest class to play (arguable, of course)
Bow bears are better at cc than a pure str bear

I think if you're gonna recommend so strongly that bears tank and lead, you should also recommend that birds and mages hang behind the bear at all times.

Just some things I noticed when I read your 'guide'

Whisper72
10-24-2011, 07:53 AM
@ Necro

Thanks for the input.
As I said, I got a lot of the info from other guides, not necessarily from my own experience.
Also, some of the guides I used to cull info from are relying on older info / older editions of PL, this is not always easy to check... and/or know what changed (I started play when PL was already in 1.7.2 edition...)

So, I will take along your info when I do an update...

Ruby!!!
10-24-2011, 07:54 AM
Wow!

Trollee
10-24-2011, 07:54 AM
Wow! This is very impressive.
Needs STICKY Asap!

pastrychef
10-25-2011, 12:10 AM
Wow!! Fantastic work!! Thanks!!

Whisper72
11-24-2011, 07:11 AM
And here is the update of the Guide:

Enjoy!

Trollee
11-24-2011, 07:15 AM
And here is the update of the Guide:

Enjoy!

Amazing bro...

/speechless

Arterra
11-24-2011, 08:16 AM
looks like the most promising comprehensive guide in a long time! Just wish you had shared it around as a google doc collaborative project or something, a few pointers here and there that I really wish were changed...
I read is semi-thoroughly, here are my thoughts on random changes.

-the class descriptions right off the bat are way too biased, and I'm sorry to say, wrong (in parts). Simply too focused on pure-build points at some parts.
-did they make dex give dodge instead of str again? even if so, the "gives damage" only applies to their respective classes, or at least significantly. (dex also simply DOES give damage.) you even outline the stats per class pretty nicely later on anyways.
-I approve of your general character strategies and teamwork info. very nicely compressed mini guide right there!
-gurgox's yelling is 5 seconds long, blast at the end. the orb is 3 seconds long. maybe add how you might get lucky and dodge it anyways, and to always leave your mage an orb. (you even explained it right in the orb section heheh)
-i think it is the avian skill break armor that takes down the overlord's shield
-maybe specify that the character with the most aggro is who receives the fever.
-rest of entire strategy areas seems perfect TBH. just those slight hiccups.
-meh, find the str/dex ratio for a "tank" bear that gives enough hit%. otherwise, simply called "fail" ;) .
-add a dexmage section. a mass-mob-murder crit machine, considering BOM self buff giving yourself over half chance of hitting double damage with your combos.
-if you are going to add int bear, add int bird too (50/50 dex/int)! you can stress it is not the most effective mode, but it allows for self terror combo and almost-mage-like powers with aoe staffs and blast.
-maybe specify only add 11 mana to some builds if you want the extra regeneration. anything over that is pretty much changing your build.
-when did you write this up anyhoo? I am somewhat sure that they lowered some of the buff/debuff values, such as evade and break armor. sad, but true.
-idk, maybe add the secret bonuses of rev xD
-was it ever REALLY confirmed that higher levels have lower chance of getting good drops at lower tiered areas?
-maybe also say how much xp you get per difficulty color. is red +4? not sure...
-terror also achievable via darkbolt weapons (that actually debuff) and hellscream/shattering-scream (hence int-bear/bird)
-as far as I can tell maybe just add in-depth guides to alternate builds/hybrids (by other on forum?)

All in all, i am just a nit-picker for details. frankly, the guide is gold man, GOLD. I sense a GoA in you somewhere, and a sticky is equally deserved. maybe even home-page addition!

Whirlzap
11-24-2011, 09:34 AM
Gonna add that there are quite a few grammatical and spelling mistakes.
Meh, the content matters more.
I'd say it's a helpful and pretty decent guide.
Congrats, comments from me aren't very common.

Whisper72
11-29-2011, 04:24 AM
Thanks all.

@ Alterra: I'll go through your comments and make changes for the 3.0 update... ;) My own experience is mainly with mages (my bear is only lvl 25 and my bird only lvl 13, have lvl 65 mage and a lvl 44 mage as well as lvl 10 and 20 mage twinks for the holidays...) so as for the 'wisdom' on bear and bird builds, this is mainly copied from comments I found from other people across the boards...

@ Whirlzap: As for grammar and spelling issues, English is not my native language, so I'll def. miss some no matter how hard I try, but I'll try to correct them as and when I find them...

Aikiebo
11-29-2011, 06:11 PM
Thanks all.

@ Alterra: I'll go through your comments and make changes for the 3.0 update... ;) My own experience is mainly with mages (my bear is only lvl 25 and my bird only lvl 13, have lvl 65 mage and a lvl 44 mage as well as lvl 10 and 20 mage twinks for the holidays...) so as for the 'wisdom' on bear and bird builds, this is mainly copied from comments I found from other people across the boards...

@ Whirlzap: As for grammar and spelling issues, English is not my native language, so I'll def. miss some no matter how hard I try, but I'll try to correct them as and when I find them...

This guide that you have done is amazing!!! I think that it is especially amazing when you consider that English is not your native language. To take on a project of this magnatude under those circumstances shows a dedication that we should all have.

If you want any help with the grammar stuff, just let us know. I'll help and I know there are plenty others who will also.

Have fun.

PalpatineX
01-17-2012, 05:20 PM
Wow! I just found this guide searching for skill mapping tips for my toons searching through the forum. Although that was not specifically covered (and I admit it's a person to person opinion), there is so many more things answered for me. I feel like I no longer have to spend 2 platinum repsecing just "to see" what would raise or lower and how much by moving around stat points. Congrats, seriously, for this compilation @Whisper72. I am subscribed to this post for further updates. Can't wait until you have Mount Fang drops on lock. Thanks again!

Redbridge
01-18-2012, 10:47 AM
How did I miss this... Great guide but still no sticky??

XghostzX
01-20-2012, 12:56 AM
Wow... +100 make sure you remind me to leave a thanks, I've ran out of them for today :P

Whirlzap
01-20-2012, 04:37 PM
Wish I could edit that PDF.
Those spelling errors....errrgugggghgggghghggh
I just have an urge to correct a spelling error zzzzzzzzz.

Seminyak
01-23-2012, 06:42 PM
wow! im new to this game and this helped me so much! this exceeded my expectations to what this guide would be like, and i would like to thank you personally for putting so much effort into this.

ily!