PDA

View Full Version : jailbreaking ipod

Corpser
10-25-2011, 02:46 AM
i want to jailbreak my ipod but i need to find an unteatherd one that work with software 4.2.1 i want to be able to remove it to!

EDIT: succsefully done with green poison thank you for all your help

JaytB
10-25-2011, 02:52 AM
Search for Redsn0w from the iPhone dev team. I'm almost sure 4.2.1 is supported for untethered jailbreak. It's a very simple tool. Jailbreaking with it takes 5-10minutes only. You just need to follow the step-by-step instructions provided by the tool and you're good to go.

'Un-jailbreaking' can be done with restoring the firmware back to your iOS device. In order to restore your device to a lower firmware than the most current one (5), you'll need your 'SHSH' blobs though. That's a bit more complicated, but I'm sure a google search can answer that quickly :)

Corpser
10-25-2011, 02:54 AM
um........

what lol
so i need to download a low firmware? to restore my ipod back?

JaytB
10-25-2011, 03:35 AM
um........

what lol
so i need to download a low firmware? to restore my ipod back?

If you want to restore or 'unjailbreak' your jailbroken 4.2.1 device, you will manually need to download the firmware, but only if you want to stay on iOS 4.2.1. On top of that, you'll need your SHSH blobs. But this is only true if you want to restore your device to the older 4.2.1 firmware. If you want to just restore your device to iOS 5, you don't need any of that. SHSH blobs can either be stored using Cydia or a tool called 'Tinyumbrella'.

To be honest, I would just upgrade to the latest firmware (iOS 5), and use a tethered jailbreak. You can always untether it later, when an untethered jailbreak becomes available. The only thing you have to be careful with, is not letting your battery die, or you will need a PC/Mac to reboot it again. Resetting your device can basically be done without rebooting too btw, so wanting an untethered jailbreak just in order to freshly start your device is not really necessary. I'm running iOS 5 on both iPad and iPhone (4), both tethered btw.

Corpser
10-25-2011, 06:31 AM
yeah im quite new to jailbreaking and i want and easy way out (unteatherd just change to ios5 ) cause last time i jailbroke i stuffed my ipod up!

RedRyder
10-25-2011, 06:35 AM
Whys your firmware so low? If you restore from jailbreak then you'll have to go to ios 5. 4.2.1 doesn't even exist through iTunes anymore. Try going to jailbreakme.com on safari in your iPod and see if your device is compatible. If so, you can JB it on the spot without a computer.

But you should probably back everything up on iTunes.

bluelink
10-25-2011, 06:39 AM
do green poison its the one I use and its fast (plus when u then on pod it changes the logo:)

RedRyder
10-25-2011, 06:45 AM
Try my method first since its the quickest possible way, otherwise, go with greenp0ison

Corpser
10-25-2011, 07:04 AM
id try your method red ryder but my wifi is still off till nov 20 so i guess green poisen in the way for me to go!

RedRyder
10-25-2011, 07:08 AM
What's the point of jail breaking if you have no wifi? You won't be able to do anything without it, since you get everything through Cydia on your device. At this point youre jail breaking it just to have it jailbroken

Corpser
10-25-2011, 07:12 AM
yeah sounds dumb right? te thing is sometimes i manage to get over to my dads and play a little and i want to jailbreak for when im over there that way i dont waste time there jailbreaking when i could be using the stuff i want from cydia

Edit: all i want is veency for screen share between ipod and mac

for Contest (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?40748-New-Star-Legends-Player-Video-Guide-Event-Rules!)

Skeletonlord
10-25-2011, 07:15 AM
Some iPods you can't jailbreak

mugen
10-25-2011, 07:19 AM
What gen is your iPod? If it's an old one you can downgrade without shsh blobs. As for jb tools I suggest pwnage tool.
And I just saw that there's a semi-tethered jailbreak for ios5.
Backing up blobs with timyumbrella is a good idea whatever the case though.

If you ever want a lower firmware just download the ipsw of the version you want and shift restore in iTunes. This only applies to older devices (no blobs needed to do this)
Sent from my 3G Cellosarus using Tapatalk

Corpser
10-25-2011, 07:30 AM
no idea what generation :( how do i find out? my dad bought it from ebay as a christmas present so i dont know.

Corpser
10-25-2011, 07:43 AM
update: Successfully did it using green poison thanks to you all i have used the thank button on you all :)

RedRyder
10-25-2011, 07:54 AM
Thanks For the thanks! Lol

Skeletonlord
10-25-2011, 08:22 AM
Ive always wanted to jailbreak my iPod, but I'm not allowed

RedRyder
10-25-2011, 09:08 AM
Ive always wanted to jailbreak my iPod, but I'm not allowed

JB'ng your device can really mess it up if you don't know what youre doing. my friend did it to her ipod a while back, then screen went black and she had to purchase a new one. With all the guides they have out there, itd be pretty difficult to mess up.

Skeletonlord
10-26-2011, 11:59 PM
JBing your device can really mess it up if you don't know what youre doing. my friend did it to her ipod a while back, then screen went black and she had to purchase a new one. With all the guides they have out there, itd be pretty difficult to mess up.

So it is a good idea to just leave it as it is? Also Apple doesn't approve jailbreaking so isn't it illegal?

KingFu
10-27-2011, 12:49 AM
JBing your device can really mess it up if you don't know what youre doing. my friend did it to her ipod a while back, then screen went black and she had to purchase a new one. With all the guides they have out there, itd be pretty difficult to mess up.

So it is a good idea to just leave it as it is? Also Apple doesn't approve jailbreaking so isn't it illegal?

Depends on how badly you want to jailbreak it. Apple frowns upon it, an although they would love to make it illegal, they can't. You can do anything you want with your property, pretty much. So jailbreaking is 100% legal. However, Apple discourages their members by saying once you jailbreak the device it'll void your warranty, but if you restore it (reset back to factory settings) they won't notice.

JaytB
10-27-2011, 02:00 AM

As Mystic already said, it's 100% legal.

As for the 'problems', I've been jailbreaking iPhones (my own and friends' and family's) since the first iPhone came out, and have yet to experience an iPhone that couldn't be restored anymore. I've installed and/or tried just about any system tweak that exist, and I still had no problems. If you only use the 'official' repositories to install stuff, you're pretty safe from any problems. There is certain stuff that can slow your phone down, but that can generally be easily removed if you encounter it. Personally, if I couldn't jailbreak my iPhone anymore, I wouldn't even buy it anymore. Jailbreaking allows you to add A LOT of functionality, with little effort. People that mess up their device, usually do so by installing crap from 'unofficial' repositories. And still, a restore (from DFU modus) has always been possible in the rare case anybody messed up their phone.

I've also been very active on some Dutch iPhone forums, where I used to assist people in jailbreaking their devices. In all these years, I've never encountered even 1 person who wasn't able to fix their device themselves, with some guidance. So yeah, I'm always a bit wary when people say they messed up their iDevice beyond repair, because of jailbreaking. Because I simply can't see how they did.