PDA

View Full Version : Is there no way to change the keyboard layout?

Kahlua
10-26-2011, 05:08 AM
I know Sam (or one of you guys) said the keyboard layout was built in...but to be honest it's the only reason I'm on the border of switching over from my phone or not. I'm noticing my vision getting worse and being very blurry after staring at my little phone screen and I'd really rather play on my laptop. However, my mouse I use is very sensitive to finger movement (Apple Magic Mouse) and keeps adjusting the size of the screen or backtracking to the home page. Because of this I have to use the trackpad if I want to use a mouse. Here are my issues with the keyboard to date:

1. WASD is fine for movement, it feels natural. However, using E and Q to turn the screen does not. For someone like me who moves around A LOT when playing, I find that I have to play extremely different with this layout. Doing all that with 1 hand feels unnatural and makes my play very sloppy. An idea I had for this would be to use the right and left arrow keys to turn the camera. As these keys right now change targets (Very randomly might I add...I tried to switch to a target right next to one I was shooting at, and it instead picked one all the way down range and refused to switch back), you could instead use the up/down arrow keys to change targets. Same concept, just an up/down order instead of right/left. I think using 2 hands to turn the camera and move your account is more natural to all of us, as I'm assuming the majority of us use our skills hand to swipe the screen to turn the camera. Since the space bar is within thumb range (and I have small hands, so I know the majority can reach it just fine) shooting with just the keyboard wont be an issue and you more than likely will not require a second hand. This layout is of course optional for those who like to use a mouse.

2. No shortcut known right now for stims/mana packs. Anyone who doesn't want to die a lot will likely not use Chrome to play because it takes a lot longer to use a stim pack or a mana pack because you have to slide the mouse key down to it. Yes it's a simple movement, but just clicking it with your finger is a lot faster and is almost a subconscious action at this point :p. If the skills and such have a shortcut, then I don't see why these can't too (unless programming it isn't possible lol).

3. No shortcut key for avatar screen/inventory/whatever that HUB is called. I'm pretty sure as of right now all we can do is click the gear icon in the top left corner to get here, and a keyboard shortcut, while not needed, would be very nice! :)

Also, can I just say that I LOVE LOVE LOVE the typing interface. So fast and easy to use! I don't think I'll ever accidently end a plural word in an "a" again! Stupid phone keyboards.

EDIT: Using a macbook pro.

Let me know what y'all think, I'm curious to see if anyone else is noticing the difficulty in one handed moving and turning.

Mwayneo3
10-26-2011, 05:17 AM
Press and hold on place of typing
Input mode
Android keyboard or swype keyboard
Even though this basicly only works if you have androiid (best) but good luck figuring out
Sorry if you put that you have an iphone (not best) in your page i have a record of like only reading main parts.

Kahlua
10-26-2011, 05:18 AM
This is for google chrome...

BodMaster
10-26-2011, 05:19 AM
Havent been able to read this fully (at work :()

But here is another link for Suggestions/Feedback for Chrome,

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?40878-Chrome-Feedback

Similar idea's had been discussed, agree with some other shortcuts, Stim and PP etc.

Maybe PM, Sam and see if both threads can be merged :p

tearacan
10-26-2011, 05:20 AM
the keypad works for movement and turning camera too if u have numlock enabled.

Tvis
10-26-2011, 05:20 AM
It seems right now there isn't an option for that. I would like to see a revamp of the shortcuts as well. The arrow keys should be used to move. E and W to rotate screen. Space bar for shooting. The brackets for stims. It's still in beta mode and is very fun to play on.

Kahlua
10-26-2011, 05:24 AM
Sorry forgot to mention I'm on a macbook pro.

BodMaster
10-26-2011, 05:31 AM
and a keyboard shortcut, while not needed, would be very nice! :)

Press 'Enter' to bring up chat.

Kahlua
10-26-2011, 05:34 AM
Press 'Enter' to bring up chat.
I know that lol, I'm talking about the screen I get to when I hit "menu" on my phone. It brings up the avatar screen and all that jazz.

CanonicalKoi
10-26-2011, 05:42 AM
I'm on a MacBook Pro, too, Kahlua. If you click and hold on the trackpad you can use another finger to turn the camera. Yeah, I know, not much of an improvement over the keystrokes. :/ When I tried it yesterday, I was pretty much doing everything by trackpad--movement, skill selection, stims...but it's a pretty steep learning curve going to that from touchscreen and I've got a long ways to go. :)

BodMaster
10-26-2011, 05:55 AM
I know that lol, I'm talking about the screen I get to when I hit "menu" on my phone. It brings up the avatar screen and all that jazz.

Lol! :p

Ummm maybe pressing Esc to bring up Avatar menu, arrows to move along tabs, that sort of thing..

Kahlua
10-26-2011, 06:05 AM
Lol! :p

Ummm maybe pressing Esc to bring up Avatar menu, arrows to move along tabs, that sort of thing..
you think with the amount I talk (type) that I wouldn't know how to use the chat box? :D
My guild is probably already planning my permanent chat ban now that I can type even faster lol!

BodMaster
10-26-2011, 06:22 AM
you think with the amount I talk (type) that I wouldn't know how to use the chat box? :D
My guild is probably already planning my permanent chat ban now that I can type even faster lol!

Had it through PM's yesterday saying it was annoying pressing chat bar to chat.. said use 'Enter' key and they were like woooo!

You dont stop....... ever! :p

CanonicalKoi
10-26-2011, 06:24 AM
I just tried it with the virtual joystick and movement was a lot better. I also tried enabling chase camera and it has possibilities (it swings the camera to face the same way you are), but it "over swings" compared to the movement. If it were locked a little tighter with the char's movement, it might be a decent way to go.

Kahlua
10-26-2011, 06:37 AM
ya I have chase camera on for chrome too...but I'd really like to do away with the mouse/track pad as much as possible. My mouse is heat/pressure sensitive and if I accidentally slide 2 fingers side to side it goes back/forward a page...very annoying for gaming lol. I could change these settings, but I use them too much normally for the change to be worth it.

What does the virtual joystick do? I would essentially have to use my mouse/trackpad to move with the stick like I do with my thumb on my phone right?

CanonicalKoi
10-26-2011, 07:04 AM
Yup, that's about it. For me it was easier than doing the WASD thing or the trackpad/click movement. I'm sure all of those options are working better than they seem, it's just that they feel kludgy for now compared to using a touchscreen.

BodMaster
10-26-2011, 12:30 PM
Check out new update,

ios: Chat on trade screens is no longer under inventory.
iphone: Chat now has up/down arrow.
chrome: Fixed cutscenes sometimes showing patterns of clips where there should only be one.
chrome: Number keys for activating skills should work correctly when flipping skill pages by clicking.
chrome: Additional keyboard shortcuts - i=inventory, c=avatar, [=stimpack, ]=powerpack, m=minimap.
chrome: Detect incompatible graphics driver, and show an error rather than loading forever.

Kahlua
10-26-2011, 12:53 PM
woooooooo yaaaaay!!!

Now if they do something with the arrow keys to do turning...IT'LL BE PERFECT O_O

Tvis
10-27-2011, 05:07 PM
It seems right now there isn't an option for that. I would like to see a revamp of the shortcuts as well. The arrow keys should be used to move. E and W to rotate screen. Space bar for shooting. The brackets for stims. It's still in beta mode and is very fun to play on.

ios: Chat on trade screens is no longer under inventory.
iphone: Chat now has up/down arrow.
chrome: Fixed cutscenes sometimes showing patterns of clips where there should only be one.
chrome: Number keys for activating skills should work correctly when flipping skill pages by clicking.
chrome: Additional keyboard shortcuts - i=inventory, c=avatar, [=stimpack, ]=powerpack, m=minimap.
chrome: Detect incompatible graphics driver, and show an error rather than loading forever.

They either took my advice or I can tell the future!! WOO!!!

WoundedEagle
10-27-2011, 05:32 PM
I wish the text bar appeared at the bottom or something...

jupi
01-12-2012, 01:01 AM
Hi,

Sorry for the title, but I can't think of another way...
I know wasd is "standard" for playing mmo but did anyone try that setup on an azerty keyboard?
azerty standard for "wasd" would be "zqsd" - Try to play with zqsd controls on a qwerty keyboard :p

Same problem with 1234 to activate powers... Having to use shift-key is not very handy!

Now I'm really happy I didn't switch to a dvorak keyboard!

Possibility of customizing would really be appreciated!

PS: I know i could play with the numpad, but that feels so unnatural too...

Otukura
01-12-2012, 01:48 AM
Hi,

Sorry for the title, but I can't think of another way...
I know wasd is "standard" for playing mmo but did anyone try that setup on an azerty keyboard?
azerty standard for "wasd" would be "zqsd" - Try to play with zqsd controls on a qwerty keyboard :p

Same problem with 1234 to activate powers... Having to use shift-key is not very handy!

Now I'm really happy I didn't switch to a dvorak keyboard!

Possibility of customizing would really be appreciated!

PS: I know i could play with the numpad, but that feels so unnatural too...

Guess I'll make a tiny guide tomorrow, about how, since enough people are wanting to do it. Someone remind me.

jupi
01-12-2012, 01:56 AM
Otukura, that would be wonderfull if you know a nice way to do this (I mean not like switching system kb to qwerty).
Even a quick hint to which file to edit would probably be enough ^^

Otukura
01-12-2012, 11:22 PM
Otukura, that would be wonderfull if you know a nice way to do this (I mean not like switching system kb to qwerty).
Even a quick hint to which file to edit would probably be enough ^^

Hey, made it:

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?47990-Short-guide-on-remapping-skills

Shaocalur
02-27-2012, 03:48 PM
2. No shortcut known right now for stims/mana packs. Anyone who doesn't want to die a lot will likely not use Chrome to play because it takes a lot longer to use a stim pack or a mana pack because you have to slide the mouse key down to it. Yes it's a simple movement, but just clicking it with your finger is a lot faster and is almost a subconscious action at this point :p. If the skills and such have a shortcut, then I don't see why these can't too (unless programming it isn't possible lol).

3. No shortcut key for avatar screen/inventory/whatever that HUB is called. I'm pretty sure as of right now all we can do is click the gear icon in the top left corner to get here, and a keyboard shortcut, while not needed, would be very nice!

2. You can use the [ and ] keys for stims (This key: [ for the red and this key: ] for the blue.)

3. Press "C" to goto your avatar page and "I" to enter your inventory.

Straticus
12-24-2012, 05:10 PM
I'm glad Arcane Legend is on my iPhone but I have one major issue. No way to change orientation using finger swipe like we can in pocket and star legends?? This is really problematic, and I hope I'm missing a setting.

Thanks,
Straticus

gison
12-24-2012, 05:37 PM
I'm glad Arcane Legend is on my iPhone but I have one major issue. No way to change orientation using finger swipe like we can in pocket and star legends?? This is really problematic, and I hope I'm missing a setting.

Thanks,
Straticus

Nope. StS made AL like that.

Itoopeo
01-22-2013, 09:57 AM

Thanks,
Straticus

Nope. StS made AL like that.
STS will allow us to change camera angle because PvP doesnt work if you dont see where you are going. They just need to add textures to other side of maps too :)

TerryDarc
02-03-2015, 01:44 PM
Really?! I'm doubtful that enter goes to the dreadful chat i/f. I hate, btw, the fact that I have to click on an area outside of the gigantic chat area to get back to the game and sometimes die b/c of it.

CAK Vader
02-03-2015, 09:30 PM
Really?! I'm doubtful that enter goes to the dreadful chat i/f. I hate, btw, the fact that I have to click on an area outside of the gigantic chat area to get back to the game and sometimes die b/c of it.

Gr8 necro m8. R8 8/8!

Carcinogen
02-03-2015, 09:30 PM

^^^
Go away.

Trungleehp
03-27-2018, 06:58 AM
Updated......