PDA

View Full Version : Auto attack & skill suggestions

bmc85uk
07-05-2010, 04:17 PM
(1) Currently, with no target selected, all single target attack skills will select a target before being used, could there be a feature added so that hostile skill use could be toggled to also engage auto attack.

(2) Could it be added so that when a selected target is not in range of a single target skill, the skill is unusable and so cannot be wasted (especially for warrior attacks).

(3) Attack range for melee weapons/skills - you currently have to be right next to a target to be in range - could this be slightly increased, I've been chasing in pvp before and while I appeared to be right behind a character they were still out of range. Distance attack range could be increased accordingly to still allow for kiting. A lot of MMO's are more forgiving with the range of melee weapons, while still maintaining a balance to allow range to be useful.

LIGHTNINGLORD67
07-05-2010, 08:54 PM
I agree with all of these! TWO THUMBS UP! 

Royce
07-05-2010, 09:04 PM
Sorry but I disagree with all to an extent.
1 because I don't want more automation. You are supposed to play the game, not have it played for you.
2 because that's part of what makes experienced players good. You have to know your range and your target.
3 because I think they are ok as is, and an increase would make warriors a bit overpowering against mages who rely on their mostly-too-short-range skills and keeping distance from melee opponents. I suppose a very slight increase might be okay, but personally I think the range of mage skills (particularly debuffs) is a much bigger issue.

LIGHTNINGLORD67
07-05-2010, 10:01 PM
Sorry but I disagree with all to an extent.
1 because I don't want more automation. You are supposed to play the game, not have it played for you.
2 because that's part of what makes experienced players good. You have to know your range and your target.
3 because I think they are ok as is, and an increase would make warriors a bit overpowering against mages who rely on their mostly-too-short-range skills and keeping distance from melee opponents. I suppose a very slight increase might be okay, but personally I think the range of mage skills (particularly debuffs) is a much bigger issue.

Fine, I guess I'm gonna have to agree with you. Pssh! Jk lol.

bmc85uk
07-06-2010, 03:56 PM
I see what you mean, any form of automation takes away an element of skill required to some degree, however;

(1) Is common in many other MMOs, it's safe to assume that if you use a special attack on a target, you'll almost always want to auto attack it too, I think it would be necessary to have as a toggle for people who would stick to using special attacks only, I certainly wouldn't miss having to press the auto attack button, which is almost always obscured by my thumb hovering over the specials anyway.

(2) Not overly fussed, just thought it might be a nice feature.

(3) I've been chasing players/enemies that appeared to be right underneath me and not been hitting them before, it's immensely frustrating chasing something around and being completely useless as a melee character that's literally one step infront of you. I agree if it was done wrong it could throw the balance off, but if you increase the range on ranged attacks as well it stays balanced.

Elffy
07-06-2010, 04:54 PM
I agree with 1 and 2 and a very slight increase to 3 would be ok

bmc85uk
07-12-2010, 06:04 PM
Sorry to revive a dead thread.

Having thought about it, in a game where buttons are so easily pressed by accident - having a message pop up and skills unusable when the target is out of range (I think this should apply to all skills not just single target) would save a lot of grief.

Yes I agree it currently involves an element of skill to master. Being a long term fan of MMOs and general computer game nut it doesn't really bother me (except for when I accidentally press buttons even though my thumbs aren't that fat), but in a game designed to be user-friendly (with irritating things like the 'new game' button mandatorily displayed when in town) it seems kind of odd that a feature present in pretty much all MMOs (even the steep-learning-curve non-user-friendly ones like Anarchy Online) would be absent from this one.

I think it's a requirement for skill in the wrong (and completely boring 'akin to micromanagement' area), I would definitely not miss this if it were changed.