PDA

View Full Version : Timers

Kalielle
10-24-2017, 10:41 AM
I've been thinking last night about how I feel about the timer feature.

For me the main advantage of the timers is that they provide a "checked the box" feel after I complete a dungeon. The timer is a visual indicator that I recently completed that dungeon and makes it feel like I affected the status of the game by playing, even if the number of stars I got hasn't changed.

The disadvantage is that if I complete a dungeon and want to try again to improve my score, I have to wait 20 minutes. For me that feeling of "oh I can do better, Restart level, Restart!!" doesn't last for 20 minutes. It's an impulse thing that has kept me playing even really simple match-3 games for longer that I would have liked. But if I have to wait 20 minutes, I'm likely to wait until the evening or the next day instead because I'll go away and forget about wanting to do better.

So I'm a bit confused about what purpose timers are supposed to serve. For a game that's supposed to be about improving your score with better strategy, what is the advantage that timers give that makes it worth giving up that "Quick, try again!" feeling? I know the game is designed so there's always something to do, so timers aren't there to keep people from playing. They are also really short so they don't seem to be great at limiting progress over the course of a day, if someone is determined to keep playing all day. The loot also seems pretty similar between levels so that's not an incentive to keep repeating a level. I guess I don't understand why it's important to keep people from replaying a level if they want to, and instead make them rotate through the levels with these timers. I think for me the feature keeps me from getting deeper into the game and is probably on balance a negative.

Carapace
10-24-2017, 02:34 PM
It's a push pull in some ways. The way PLA has been designed we expect the grind to take a long time up to the current max tier of 12, and we also don't implicitly encourage 6 - 8 hour binge sessions like we do with our previous games like AL and PL. Similar to other games with timers, we offer the option to pay through timer cool downs and keys to loot dungeons for rewards bypassing the timers altogether.

This is definitely a departure from our other games, and we do realize a majority of our Spacetime Gamers are used to the extensive play times associated with our MMO games. These frictions you are feeling are intended for this game.

Kalielle
10-25-2017, 11:42 AM
Thank you for the reply! That makes sense, and it definitely feels like it is going to take a long time to tier 12. So far the game has been good at encouraging me to play just a bit each day (enough to do all the dailies) and check in periodically to open the chests, and it sounds like that was the intended play style.

Carapace
10-25-2017, 11:49 AM
Thank you for the reply! That makes sense, and it definitely feels like it is going to take a long time to tier 12. So far the game has been good at encouraging me to play just a bit each day (enough to do all the dailies) and check in periodically to open the chests, and it sounds like that was the intended play style.

Yes! Glad you are enjoying the game, thanks for your participation in the early version!