PDA

View Full Version : i cant believe it

Rolocoaster
10-27-2011, 02:14 PM
So today while i was afk in the game the unexpected happens . one of our lv 36 players leaves guild . The speculation started arising as to why he would leave and then suddenly log off. Well im friends with this player in our guild and we both grinded together to lv 36 . I emailed him about the situation and it turns out he got his account hacked ! This is really alarming as he did not share his info or anything with anyone . He is really down because of this and does not know what to do because he doesnt want his account banned . I am not making a thread to rant about this but to warn you all of this and let you guys know that someone is hacking accounts .The only difference i can say is that i helped him set up sl in hi computer last night so he started playing sl on his computer from last night . I dont know if this has something to do with it but its just plain weird. Well also this affected our guild greatly as we were on leaderboard and now since his account got hackked he is no longer in guild and now we are not on guild leaderboard . I know we are to write sts an email explaining the situation but is that the only solution to this ? Also could i write sts a email myself since it wasnt my account that got hacked ?

ninjaduck
10-27-2011, 02:22 PM
So today while i was afk in the game the unexpected happens . one of our lv 36 players leaves guild . The speculation started arising as to why he would leave and then suddenly log off. Well im friends with this player in our guild and we both grinded together to lv 36 . I emailed him about the situation and it turns out he got his account hacked ! This is really alarming as he did not share his info or anything with anyone . He is really down because of this and does not know what to do because he doesnt want his account banned . I am not making a thread to rant about this but to warn you all of this and let you guys know that someone is hacking accounts .The only difference i can say is that i helped him set up sl in hi computer last night so he started playing sl on his computer from last night . I dont know if this has something to do with it but its just plain weird. Well also this affected our guild greatly as we were on leaderboard and now since his account got hackked he is no longer in guild and now we are not on guild leaderboard . I know we are to write sts an email explaining the situation but is that the only solution to this ? Also could i write sts a email myself since it wasnt my account that got hacked ?
my guess is that the Hacker has found like a loophole in chrome SL. write to STS they will look at the log of different playas. my thoughts are with you and your.guild. ;__;

MimeRifle
10-27-2011, 02:28 PM
Wow.... any idea how clean your friend's PC is? I have my doubts that it was due to an application vulnerability - I should say I'd guess it's more likely the PC is compromised, perhaps by a key-logger. I'm interested to see if we find out.

wackedout
10-27-2011, 02:31 PM
I just won't it back I miss my guild and my game play I no you well do your best to help me sad and my brother getsume was hack as well help some one

Eriksyn
10-27-2011, 02:32 PM
my guess is that the Hacker has found like a loophole in chrome SL. write to STS they will look at the log of different playas. my thoughts are with you and your.guild. ;__;

I really hope this isn't a vulnerability in chrome SL, but you raise a valid point.

As everyone said, definitely disclose all info you can to STS so they can get to the bottom of this. Do you know if your friend has been playing SL on chrome at all (just to rule things out)?

Rolocoaster
10-27-2011, 02:38 PM
I just won't it back I miss my guild and my game play I no you well do your best to help me sad and my brother getsume was hack as well help some one
dont forget to email support at support@spacetimestudios.com . We will do everything in our " Independents" guild .Deshraill and the rest of the guild miss you and are worried for you and your bro getsume. LEts hope for the best

Samhayne
10-27-2011, 03:02 PM
Hey guys,

As people have posted above, please contact our support team with any concerns regarding your account, should you have any. http://support.spacetimestudios.com

I've been involved in supporting MMO's since being a Game Master on EverQuest back in 2000. I've seen a LOT of "hacked" accounts. We take any such issue very seriously. while I don't discount your guildmates story, we don't really know what happened other than what he told you and what you remembered and reported here. A lot of "hacked" accounts are cases of sharing account credentials (even if he isn't saying that). Just like the EQ player on one of the servers I oversaw who swore up and down that there had been a breech in our security and that his account had been hacked. He got the e-mail address to our CEO and wrote and complained about how he was "hacked", which prompted me to track down their phone number through their credit card company and call. When I spoke to the credit card holder, that turned out was the Mother to two teenage boys who were sharing a single EQ account, she told me about how they had been fighting about the game, but she didn't understand what it was. Long story short, one brother had taken all the other brother's stuff and then deleted their characters, probably in a fit of spite.

Anyway, I totally encourage you to advise your friend to sweep their PC for malicious programs (key logger maybe?) and then proceed to change their passwords.

FluffNStuff
10-27-2011, 03:05 PM

My guess is the loophole is his brother uses the same computer ...

edit ... 'ninja'd'

Kahlua
10-27-2011, 03:06 PM
Sam isn't it possible to check IP addresses for the account? Like see if a random IP signed on recently that was different from all the others?

FluffNStuff
10-27-2011, 03:09 PM
Sam isn't it possible to check IP addresses for the account? Like see if a random IP signed on recently that was different from all the others?

Assuming a player is on cable internet like most of us, their IP address constantly (about weekly) changes.

Deshx
10-27-2011, 03:14 PM
The fact is Who hacked their accounts they changed their in game names.. I do believe chrome has bug for easy heck .. Hope they ll get their acc back asap.. we already sended emails .

Kahlua
10-27-2011, 03:19 PM
Hate to say it but it sounds like 1 of 3 things:

1. He was really "hacked"...least possible really, as who would already be sending people keyloggers and stuff...

2. He shares his account and the other person did as Sam mentioned above.

3. He got tired of your guild and wanted to switch guilds. New name erases anything linking back to him. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up in a new guild in a few days, if he's not already.

3rd one might not be true, but I've seen it happen.

octavos
10-27-2011, 03:24 PM
Removing remember password from chrome for now would bee good....as a short term solution....just in-case

and maybe doing a computer wipe....to stay on the safe side

**im doing that tonight**

CanonicalKoi
10-27-2011, 03:26 PM
Deshx, looks like your friend's done the right thing in reporting it to Support. Any additional info, like about the name change, have him also forward that on to Support. And Mime's right, too--never hurts to run a check for a virus or malware. If it *was* a hacker, I have confidence the Devs'll track it down. :)

Deshx
10-27-2011, 03:52 PM
Hate to say it but it sounds like 1 of 3 things:

1. He was really "hacked"...least possible really, as who would already be sending people keyloggers and stuff...

2. He shares his account and the other person did as Sam mentioned above.

3. He got tired of your guild and wanted to switch guilds. New name erases anything linking back to him. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up in a new guild in a few days, if he's not already.

3rd one might not be true, but I've seen it happen.

Well hes one of our very good friend and wetalked with him on the phone. 3th one kinda not possible.. Well hope the best we r just waiting for now.

Tvis
10-27-2011, 04:11 PM
If in school, he may have downloaded it on the school computer. If he didn't log out, or used the "Save Password" feature, then a kid could have seen the browser's history and gone into it.

wackedout
10-27-2011, 04:40 PM
No I did not hack my self I had a level 36 and a guild I love being in hacking is a criminal ate its not a game I just need help

Slant
10-27-2011, 04:49 PM
hmmm its not so easy to hack, looks like something opportunistic, very likely that there was some carelessness with regards to the password (sorry), could be anything. Was it easy to guess? this is really unfortunate that his char got deleted, is recovering chars possible?

krazii
10-27-2011, 07:47 PM
I've been involved in supporting MMO's since being a Game Master on EverQuest back in 2000.

EQ or Evercrack as I knew it was a blast, it was the first real good MMO IMO. Still remember it taking hours just to recover bodies from the planes. Sam, what server you play on?

MrGoober
10-27-2011, 07:56 PM
I've been involved in supporting MMO's since being a Game Master on EverQuest back in 2000.

EQ or Evercrack as I knew it was a blast, it was the first real good MMO IMO. Still remember it taking hours just to recover bodies from the planes. Sam, what server you play on?

Your spirit shard! Hated that. Get 2 or 3 stuck out there.

vaffunculo
10-27-2011, 08:14 PM

I miss those days of naked corpse runs to the basement of KC! lol

javier995
10-28-2011, 12:05 AM
Same thing happened to my friend. Although he didn't say he was hacked, all he told me was it was saying his password was wrong. He emailed support already.

Kakatoa91
10-28-2011, 01:36 AM
Same thing happened to my friend. Although he didn't say he was hacked, all he told me was it was saying his password was wrong. He emailed support already.

This might b different, ur friend might have leave his account email user name on the login page of a device or chrome and someone failed several times to find the pass while tryin to log on.

In the past, for weeks had to reset my password nearly every day because i like to test PL and SL on new phones/tablets in different shops.
I didnt think to erase the email username...
Silly me.
I suppose someone else tried each time to log on and failed on all the devices i was on lol. :p

But then i hope we find answer soon for the possibly hacked account.
Really think is useless to hack a game -_-

javier995
10-28-2011, 08:32 AM

This might b different, ur friend might have leave his account email user name on the login page of a device or chrome and someone failed several times to find the pass while tryin to log on.

In the past, for weeks had to reset my password nearly every day because i like to test PL and SL on new phones/tablets in different shops.
I didnt think to erase the email username...
Silly me.
I suppose someone else tried each time to log on and failed on all the devices i was on lol. :p

But then i hope we find answer soon for the possibly hacked account.
Really think is useless to hack a game -_-

Lol actually he had unistalled SL for about a week or two. He does the forgot password thing, but he gets a new password for PL lol.

Deshx
10-28-2011, 03:06 PM
I want to TY for all space time studios management for their help.. We have our friend back right now his acc with all his 3 toons..

They were so helpfull with this problem and they solved it in a day. Im glad they spend their time our us and make it happen.

Once more TY.

CanonicalKoi
10-28-2011, 03:26 PM
Great news, Deshx! I'm glad your friend is back and in possession of his accounts. :) And yeah, gotta love our Devs. <3

wackedout
10-30-2011, 09:54 PM
Ty you all if I did not have a guild like is I don't no what ill do and to space time thank you a lot you work on this and got me back with my guild Ty a lot johnny

Rittik
10-31-2011, 04:54 AM
O nic...congrats frendbto get back with your guild....these hackers are always looking for oppurtunities....after reading all i just deleated all mallaciois atuffs from my Pc...and a very nic work Devs

Techquake
11-30-2011, 03:15 PM
I'm so sad for you my friend.:-( I HOPE THAT NASTY HACKER WILL BE FOUND OUT AND BE BANNED... FOREVER!!!...

ninjaduck
11-30-2011, 03:25 PM
Just like to give my input on this. Grats to the playa who got hakked for comin back! and also Grats independents you made it to the top!!!

wewt!!! :D

Hullukko
11-30-2011, 04:34 PM
Assuming a player is on cable internet like most of us, their IP address constantly (about weekly) changes.

Not quite so.
It doesn't change into something completely random. It'd still be inside the same network and outside access would be trivially detected. The odds of that other party being in the same network are next to nothing.

But I'm glad it got sorted out.

For the record, hacking is just rather untrivial. It doesn't happen like in the movies. Forceful penetrations are freakishly rare. They're virtually all random penetrations as a result of certain vulnerability having gotten targeted.

And those that get code inside, i.e. those that would have such capabilities as key logging and such needed to obtain access, would hardly be interested in some silly SL accounts. There's some real money to be made with that stuff and screwing around with some kid's game is just not it.

In this case my bet would have been those sharing the computer or those overlooking the password typing process (public terminals). In this day and age capturing the password as it's typed is simpler than most people realize (video camera in every freaking phone). So be careful with that.