PDA

View Full Version : My Feedback on PLA

King Richie
11-05-2017, 06:15 AM
Hey Guys,

Some of you might remember me from Pocket Legends whilst most probably don't know who I am.

Either way at the moment I am but a humble beta tester similar to you!

I would like to provide my feedback on Space Time Studios most recent title Pocket Legends Adventures.

I went into this game expecting it to have the same feel as Pocket Legends, as I assumed with the game having the same name it would be a sequel of sorts however it took a day or two of playing to realize this is not the case.

The game is great, don't take anything of what I say to heavily as this is all just constructive criticism coming from someone who logged so many hours on Pocket Legends that it's almost embarrassing (Good Times!).

I will start with a simple Pros & Cons list and go into a little more detail after.

Pros

Great Visual Update
Runs and Plays Smoothly
Good Level of Content
More character development
More item types
More pets

Cons

The game is not nearly as social as PL
Grind Fest
Little to no reward for clearing a level
Pay to progress
No quests
No trading/ auction
Multiplayer aspect feels like it was benched

No need to go into detail on pros!

Here is my breakdown on my cons and once again, please take all of this constructively as trust me I am loving the game however I can see some aspects of the game as it stands will drive a lot of potential long term players away.

Social

I remember the day I downloaded Pocket Legends on my phone, my world changed, I didn't understand how it was possible to play with other real people, clearing dungeons, killing mobs and bosses, pulling off sick combos with spells and ultimately looting PINKS!

The social aspect of the game felt so seamless and easy.

New friends and relationships were being built with every cleared dungeon.

PLA however is a cold, silent fight where you must face your enemies alone.

No friendly banter, no team building or sick combos just jump in and kill enemies.

I understand the benefits to this and I understand that this makes the game so easy to pick up and play when the level of players is small so I don't have a huge problem with this style of game.

It was just a surprise to see STS make a choice to take the pocket legends franchise this way.

Grind, No Reward & Pay to progress

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE GRINDING, getting sick loot is my forté but grinding in PLA is not the acquirement of sick loot but instead the acquirement of shards, gold and useless junk to throw to the furnace with an unquenchable hunger.

The grind at first felt natural and I was loving it however it soon became apparent that STS has taken the game in the direction of most other app developers recently where you must sink either many hours of your life to acquire platinum or drop some cash to then purchase your loot.

In my opinion, loot should not and never should be a purchasable item.

This is my biggest turn off.

The game has just lost all it's allure if I can just drop €100 and be fully geared. Where's the reward in that?

No quests & No trading

This speaks for itself.

Multiplayer

Multiplayer feels like it took a back seat in this game, this feels like an amazingly social game for anti-social players.

The feeling of playing with others is there due to the shared home however little to no interaction takes place bar a few people asking for parties to do boom, gauntlet or the raid.

I don't know maybe I just miss the PL Days and how new everything was but PLA as it stands feels like it was made as a money grabber and not with the intention of the game being the grindy, fun & social game that PL once was.

*P.S this won't stop me from dropping €100 euro for plat, hurry up and open the purchase portal. :D

Love & Kisses,
King

Noobzilla
11-05-2017, 06:43 AM
I'll make a note on the grind fest and rewards for clearing levels. I believe it is intentionally like this. They have implemented a nice 4-hour cooldown chest which provides a good amount of gold and shards, from what I can tell this was implemented like this to prevent people from playing this game like a grindfest, although, the option is there for the more hardcore players.

If I were to add to what I think should be done in regards to pay to progress/rewards for clearing levels. I think they should add a very low chance of Epic/Legendary equipment, and perhaps a 1 day cooldown on opening a free epic chest, and a 3 day cooldown on opening a legendary chest.

Azerothraven
11-05-2017, 11:51 AM
I'll make a note on the grind fest and rewards for clearing levels. I believe it is intentionally like this. They have implemented a nice 4-hour cooldown chest which provides a good amount of gold and shards, from what I can tell this was implemented like this to prevent people from playing this game like a grindfest, although, the option is there for the more hardcore players.

Just because it is intended to be like this does not necessarily mean it is a good feature. Sure the 4h chests are a good reason to come back but there is not much reason to keep me hooked e.g. possibility to loot a pink. I bought plat to support STS and don't like to liquidate items worth less than 1k farming for 1-2 min. I already have a lot of gold and platinum. The issue I am facing is farming the shards. Which is a good thing in a way as it prevents people from being complete p2w.

STS has announced previously the game to have a emphasis on being social, yet there is a restriction on the number of friends you can have ( 50 i think).

As for king, the game is not fully launched therefore keep in mind they still have plans to work on more PvP aspect of PLA.

I decided to just level up tiers based on free chests and my VIP bonus.

P.S. the keys price is ridiculous ( don't argue with me about this one thanks). Just consider the plat spent vs loot in tier 1-7 specially.

Oldcoot
11-05-2017, 02:44 PM
I completely agree with you king, I seriously miss grinding to the next level with other people and saying "grats" when someone else gets that level up.

Justg
11-06-2017, 03:39 PM
Hey Ritchie, thanks for the feedback. Some comments:

The decision to have people responsible for their own advancement may seem like it limits the social aspect, but we gain much more control over the economy by doing so. We need everyone to be running the same power curve, and face the same challenges, rather than have high level folks boost up younger players.

The dungeon loot is part of this economic control as well. Although you cannot loot the best things in the game, we do allow everyone to collect a trickle of plat through daily rewards, hourly chests, and daily quests. Players can use this to purchase better loot.

No Trading is a very conscious decision on our part. Trading items and gold leads to bad player behavior. Some folks (not any of you of course) cannot stop themselves from scamming others. Trade also leads to Merching, which means all conversation in town becomes merch spam, which is not the friendliest environment. We want this to be a nicer place.

Pay to progress is meant to be extremely gentle. We had folks in closed beta with no ability to purchase, and they were all able to level up just fine. Some people playing now have not spent a dime but they are at T10, 11, or even 12.

We agree that the game needs more multiplayer content, we're adding 3 more tomorrow, and Events will be completely multiplayer.

Good feedback, keep it coming!

- g

Avaree
11-06-2017, 06:13 PM
Justg, what tier will players have to be to enter these multi player dungeons? Can’t wait to run them (:

Justg
11-06-2017, 06:24 PM
I think the lower end one is T4.

King Richie
11-06-2017, 07:57 PM
The dungeon loot is part of this economic control as well. Although you cannot loot the best things in the game, we do allow everyone to collect a trickle of plat through daily rewards, hourly chests, and daily quests. Players can use this to purchase better loot.

- g

So is it the intention to not allow for "hardcore" play and to promote a more, drop by for a couple of minutes every four hours?

From what I have gathered it is far more advantageous to not sink an hour or two at a time but just a few minutes every 4 hours until you have completed your daily quests.

Will there be an avenue for both "hardcore" and "casual" play at some stage as hardcore play at the moment comes with to much cost involved in the sense of item repair costs.

I would love for you to add a small percentage chance to loot an Epic or Legendary Chest at the end of a dungeon or raid clear, this alone would cause me to overflow with the excitement of grinding for pinks!

As it stands I feel very little urge to play a multiplayer mode as I care very little for vanity items. I would much prefer to min/max my stats.

P.S - Any-word on when Plat purchase will be available on IOS?

P.P.S - Any Guardian of Alterra Shield for this game? ;)

Oldcoot
11-06-2017, 08:20 PM
I so look forward to more multiplayer options, I have yet to run a gauntlet and find it difficult to get in a team run.

Carapace
11-07-2017, 01:06 PM
So is it the intention to not allow for "hardcore" play and to promote a more, drop by for a couple of minutes every four hours?

From what I have gathered it is far more advantageous to not sink an hour or two at a time but just a few minutes every 4 hours until you have completed your daily quests.

Will there be an avenue for both "hardcore" and "casual" play at some stage as hardcore play at the moment comes with to much cost involved in the sense of item repair costs.

I would love for you to add a small percentage chance to loot an Epic or Legendary Chest at the end of a dungeon or raid clear, this alone would cause me to overflow with the excitement of grinding for pinks!

As it stands I feel very little urge to play a multiplayer mode as I care very little for vanity items. I would much prefer to min/max my stats.

P.S - Any-word on when Plat purchase will be available on IOS?

P.P.S - Any Guardian of Alterra Shield for this game? ;)

The type of game PLA is does not really lean on a typical "hardcore" grinding approach. This is definitely a more casual game than our MMO Legends games, and while grinding has its advantages it is designed not to propel players into a completely different tier of play over other players. Talents shards from Gauntlet Chests for min/max of particular stats, competitive leaderboards and raid content for late game, and multiplayer dungeons for social fun and vanities round out the content, but we are aiming to make a different style of game that undoubtedly will have a different audience of players.

Thanks for the feedback King Richie!

King Richie
11-07-2017, 02:40 PM
The type of game PLA is does not really lean on a typical "hardcore" grinding approach. This is definitely a more casual game than our MMO Legends games, and while grinding has its advantages it is designed not to propel players into a completely different tier of play over other players. Talents shards from Gauntlet Chests for min/max of particular stats, competitive leaderboards and raid content for late game, and multiplayer dungeons for social fun and vanities round out the content, but we are aiming to make a different style of game that undoubtedly will have a different audience of players.

Thanks for the feedback King Richie!

Okay, Thanks for the info!