PDA

View Full Version : Keep It Real!

Battlelock
10-29-2011, 06:22 AM
I've been playing MMo's since the beta of UO. The true origin of MMO's. Played EQ & EQII since the betas. Always the same; eww ooh ahh, a dev is online!

They're people! Not gods. The phenomenon in the reactions of forum trollers, STILL amazes me, when they (devs) appear online or in game.

I'm seriously nauseas with all the fireworks over a dev posting or a sighting!

Yeah. Just me I guess.

nekrosstratia
10-29-2011, 06:36 AM
If you think UO is the "true origin of MMO's" you are sadly mistaken.

Necrobane
10-29-2011, 06:40 AM
If you think UO is the "true origin of MMO's" you are sadly mistaken. Really? That was all you got out of that? @Battlelock, you're not alone haha

Battlelock
10-29-2011, 06:44 AM
If you think UO is the "true origin of MMO's" you are sadly mistaken.

Well... that wasn't my rant origin but ... yes it was the first successful MMO. Opinions vary and thanks for yours. Not what I am wanting, or intending, to discuss. :)

nekrosstratia
10-29-2011, 06:45 AM
Did I need to post that I agree with him about everything else? Because that's human nature in the gaming community. And I would easily come to say that atleast a bare minimum of 50% of those "ooh ahh" teenagers are saying things like. Man I can make a better game then this, why can't they do this and that quickly I am better then them.

Anyway, everything else is pretty much how gaming works, I just laughed when I heard that UO was the origin of MMO's.

#1 You would have to define successful.
#2 You would have to define that your talking STRICTLY 3D MMO's (and then it still wouldn't be the first)

I don't mean to belittle or harrass, it's just a pet-peeve of mine from all sorts of WoW-Fanboism that people make statements about the gaming industry that they trully don't understand. So yes, sorry I jumped off topic, just one of those lil nerves people have to certain statements. I started waaaaaay back in MU* history and those are what created MMO's, table top created MU*, and even before. table top, fiction stories created the basis of table top rpg's

Battlelock
10-29-2011, 06:57 AM
Did I need to post that I agree with him about everything else? Because that's human nature in the gaming community. And I would easily come to say that atleast a bare minimum of 50% of those "ooh ahh" teenagers are saying things like. Man I can make a better game then this, why can't they do this and that quickly I am better then them.

Anyway, everything else is pretty much how gaming works, I just laughed when I heard that UO was the origin of MMO's.

#1 You would have to define successful.
#2 You would have to define that your talking STRICTLY 3D MMO's (and then it still wouldn't be the first)

I don't mean to belittle or harrass, it's just a pet-peeve of mine from all sorts of WoW-Fanboism that people make statements about the gaming industry that they trully don't understand. So yes, sorry I jumped off topic, just one of those lil nerves people have to certain statements. I started waaaaaay back in MU* history and those are what created MMO's, table top created MU*, and even before. table top, fiction stories created the basis of table top rpg's

Not sure what you're referring too with UA but yes, I was referring to 3D MMO's I guess. As I said "opinions vary".

Ya I played D&D back in the early 80's.

I do find it funny how all my OFF topic statements are being critiqued rather than the main one. It's all good.

nekrosstratia
10-29-2011, 06:58 AM
Except your original statement like I said is basically 100% correct and thats just the ways of the online gaming community.

Battlelock
10-29-2011, 07:02 AM
Except your original statement like I said is basically 100% correct and thats just the ways of the online gaming community.

Fair enough.

Good night. 5A.M. Here

Zeus
10-29-2011, 12:04 PM
You have to realize that on many occasions they are doing some sort of event or people are looking for antennas. Most of them are not worshipping the devs; they are kissing up because they have another agenda in mind.

Lowlyspy
10-29-2011, 12:17 PM
You have to realize that on many occasions they are doing some sort of event or people are looking for antennas. Most of them are not worshipping the devs; they are kissing up because they have another agenda in mind.
That and the devs are good conversation starters

Gaddy
10-29-2011, 01:56 PM
Gushing, hero worship, boot-licking and trying to ride on the coat tails of the powerful is, unfortunately, one of the less attractive sides of human nature. But human nature it is...

Best to just ignore it, instead of trying to fight against the impossible and getting angry over it. Might as well get angry at the rain or a passing cloud for what it's worth...

Battlelock
10-29-2011, 02:16 PM
Gushing, hero worship, boot-licking and trying to ride on the coat tails of the powerful is, unfortunately, one of the less attractive sides of human nature. But human nature it is...

Best to just ignore it, instead of trying to fight against the impossible and getting angry over it. Might as well get angry at the rain or a passing cloud for what it's worth...

Stupid Cloud!
:)

arqueroverde
10-29-2011, 04:16 PM
After playing two other games run by a German game studio for 18 months, I am thrilled to see how involved and how available the devs are here at PL. I was the co-leader of two successful orders/cohorts/clans and finally had to leave because I could not invest 2+ hours every day plus planning battles and hiring mercenaries. I enjoyed it while it lasted, but now I have a 7-month old son at home who has some special needs. To be able to log in at any time and to play for 10 minutes or two hours at a time is fantastic.

The devs here work their tails off and actually care about their customers - us. I know that my response is a bit off the main topic, but I greatly appreciate the devs here at PL.

arq

Zeus
10-29-2011, 04:26 PM
After playing two other games run by a German game studio for 18 months, I am thrilled to see how involved and how available the devs are here at PL. I was the co-leader of two successful orders/cohorts/clans and finally had to leave because I could not invest 2+ hours every day plus planning battles and hiring mercenaries. I enjoyed it while it lasted, but now I have a 7-month old son at home who has some special needs. To be able to log in at any time and to play for 10 minutes or two hours at a time is fantastic.

The devs here work their tails off and actually care about their customers - us. I know that my response is a bit off the main topic, but I greatly appreciate the devs here at PL.

arq

I concur, my explanation and the fact of simple appreciation is perhaps the reason of "comparing the devs to gods".

MoarPewPew
10-29-2011, 04:27 PM
I've been playing MMo's since the beta of UO. The true origin of MMO's. Played EQ & EQII since the betas. Always the same; eww ooh ahh, a dev is online!

They're people! Not gods. The phenomenon in the reactions of forum trollers, STILL amazes me, when they (devs) appear online or in game.

I'm seriously nauseas with all the fireworks over a dev posting or a sighting!

Yeah. Just me I guess.

And why does this matter? Not to be rude but some players marvel the world that the developers created. Sure I'm guilty of saying oo a dev is online if I just so happen to spot them. So what? They made there name Bold and Bright Red for a reason... If they wanted to be hidden they would use a ghost mode.

Im not saying you should bother them when there online, its just cool that they come online and interact with there fellow players.

Roc
10-29-2011, 04:28 PM
I think that it can said that people are also grateful too. Seeing a dev in-game and waving or shooting off fireworks is a show of appreciation :biggrin:. Yes, there are people who want antennas, yes, there are people who may see the devs in a different light. However, the attention the devs garner is not all negative and to say that every wave or firework is a symbol of worship would imply understanding people's intentions :ambivalence: I understand the origins of your nausea, but devs are indeed people and everyone likes being thanked for their work :eagerness: Exuberant thanks is not necessarily done with ill intentions :)

Piosidon
10-29-2011, 04:53 PM
Main reason I like having devs around is to ask questions. (I also wouldn't mind antennas too)

Fyrce
10-29-2011, 11:49 PM
Ever since there were games, people have worshipped devs/gamemasters, etc.

It's the way of worlds. We do the same for authors who have created a world we love.