View Full Version : needing new chat option

roufus
11-01-2011, 01:16 PM
I've been having issues with my friends scattering out amongst different guilds lately and now my chat box has changed from green to yellow because of all the pm's could you like add something in a chat option that would allow me to chat with my friends list?

drewcapu
11-01-2011, 01:44 PM
Once upon a time, i suggested Chat Channels in PL.

rodvik would know what I'm talking about when I say SubSpace had some great chat functionality. Part of the awesomeness of SubSpace was that it had great, simple tools for chatting and happened to have an awesome game built around it ;)

For PL/SL, it could work like this:

/chat
shows what chat channels you are a part of

/chat chn1,chn2,chn3
joins 3 chat channels with the names: chn1, chn2, ch3.
can have maybe a limit of 10 chat channels, for instance

To make chatting in chat channels easier, the ";" can be used to to chat in whatever you first channels is:

;hi
would broadcast "hi" to your primary chat channel

;chn1; hi
would broadcast "hi" to the "chn1" channel. less useful if you haven't joined the "chn1" channel, but useful if you forgot which channel number is "chan1"

;2; hi
shorthand, would broadcast "hi" to your second chat channel, etc

chat channels would be public, where anyone can join any channel. chat channels would be global, non-instance specific channels.
chat channel names would still have to follow TOS, of course

it can give people an opportunity to easily chat with one or more people who are in different guilds.

it can give guilds which are allies an easy method to converse with one another.

it can gives guilds a way to chat with recruits before having them invited.

it can give people a way to look for particular runs

AND MOAR!

roufus
11-01-2011, 01:45 PM
Haha you lost me how bout we do like a /f command

drewcapu
11-01-2011, 01:52 PM
/f would basically end up being a /spam command ;)

roufus
11-01-2011, 01:55 PM
Um ok

CanonicalKoi
11-01-2011, 02:00 PM
Um ok

Think of it this way--you and I are friends with 3 other people. You and friend 1 start a chat in your proposed friends channel. Then friends 2 and 3 get involved in another chat, same channel. I now have both of your discussions going on, popping up in my chat and distracting me ('cause someone in there might be talking to me) even though I'm not involved in either conversation. I would think that'd be a headache if you were part of a large guild where guild chat is in almost continuous use. Now...a way to opt out of the channel or put up a "do not disturb" or something like that and it wouldn't be quite as bad.

roufus
11-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Yeah I see where your coming from

Cahaun
11-01-2011, 02:29 PM
Wow I was just thinking of this lol. :D

SuperNas
11-01-2011, 02:41 PM
Um ok

Think of it this way--you and I are friends with 3 other people. You and friend 1 start a chat in your proposed friends channel. Then friends 2 and 3 get involved in another chat, same channel. I now have both of your discussions going on, popping up in my chat and distracting me ('cause someone in there might be talking to me) even though I'm not involved in either conversation. I would think that'd be a headache if you were part of a large guild where guild chat is in almost continuous use. Now...a way to opt out of the channel or put up a "do not disturb" or something like that and it wouldn't be quite as bad. yeah that would be so annoying