PDA

View Full Version : So, there is necro posting. Is there also Necro Repping?

Zeus
11-01-2011, 07:53 PM
I've noticed lately that people are going back into year old posts and downrepping people? What is up with that? Isn't that just as bad as necro posting?

Opinions? Thoughts?

Note: I am not a victim of this except on an occasion or two. It has just been something that has been occurring on my mind when I see it done to others.

Silentarrow
11-01-2011, 07:55 PM
Agreed that it shouldn't be done. "It's a new day"

Otukura
11-01-2011, 07:58 PM
I don't consider it harmful to the community as a whole, like necro posting is. This just affects one person, posting actually puts a useless thread, and takes up space.

Zeus
11-01-2011, 07:59 PM
I don't consider it harmful to the community as a whole, like necro posting is. This just affects one person, posting actually puts a useless thread, and takes up space.

Good point. I was more worried about the impact on how people abuse it. Like I know some that will go into other's post history that they have a grudge on and down rep them.

Otukura
11-01-2011, 08:05 PM
Good point. I was more worried about the impact on how people abuse it. Like I know some that will go into other's post history that they have a grudge on and down rep them.

Down repping is spread out, remember. Can't do it without repping 10(I think?) other people first.

WoundedEagle
11-01-2011, 08:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wai6OM3YKTk
Had to.... But anyways, like necro-posting, it won't be stopped, just frowned upon. I agree though, it is a new thing. But the guy who made a guide and just got his reputation increased for his seven-month old thread isn't complaining. Yeah, there will be necro-repping, but that's just a trolls life.

-we

NECROREAPER
11-01-2011, 08:16 PM
I do a lot of Necro Reaping!!!

Oh wait....

WoundedEagle
11-01-2011, 08:18 PM

Oh wait....

When I saw you posted on this thread, I knew you'd have said something about that :highly_amused:

RedRyder
11-01-2011, 08:21 PM
It's happened to me a few times. Yes, it ticked me off.

Nourish
11-01-2011, 08:22 PM
What's necro posting :p?

WoundedEagle
11-01-2011, 08:23 PM
Posting on a thread that isn't on the first page to third page of a discussion basically. Just reviving an old thread.

Silentarrow
11-01-2011, 08:23 PM

When someone posts on a very old thread.

Ninja'd!

Battlelock
11-01-2011, 08:43 PM
I really don't care if I get negative repped or not. It has no affect on me in my real world.

Don't really see a problem of necro posting if it has relevance. Actually don't care if it has that either. Actually I find it highly amusing how irritated some people get over it.

But this is just me and all IMO :rolleyes:

WoundedEagle
11-01-2011, 08:47 PM
I really don't care if I get negative repped or not. It has no affect on me in my real world.

Don't really see a problem of necro posting if it has relevance. Actually don't care if it has that either. Actually I find it highly amusing how irritated some people get over it.

Most of the time, I agree. When I was new to forums, I used to necro threads not because I didn't look at the date, but because I did look at that date and was amused by the past.

13lacklegionz
11-01-2011, 09:01 PM
What the...

I just noticed this, but why is:

Woundedeagle = Doppelganger
Apollo = Luminary Poster
Silentarrow = Tournament & Ladder Leader?

O.o

Cytokinesis
11-01-2011, 09:05 PM
What the...

I just noticed this, but why is:

Woundedeagle = Doppelganger
Apollo = Luminary Poster
Silentarrow = Tournament & Ladder Leader?

O.o

I'm leaning toward keeping the titles somewhat minimum, to not encourage a lot of spam posting. What do you think about the following:

0 posts – New Member
30 posts – Junior Member
50 posts - Member
250 posts – Forum Adept
500 posts – Senior Member
1337 – ELITE
5000 posts – Luminary Poster
10000 posts - Forum Legend
....yw(:

Silentarrow
11-01-2011, 09:11 PM
Doppelganger-Awarded to WoundedEagle for winning a look alike contest.

Tournment & Ladder Leader- Title given for hosting a tournament.

I believe Cyto covered Apollo's.

Aikiebo
11-01-2011, 10:05 PM
Posting on a thread that isn't on the first page to third page of a discussion basically. Just reviving an old thread.

Right now the first three pages of General Discussion is only two days old. No offence intended, but members can post on threads more than two days old. People are CONSTANTLY being jumped for starting duplicate threads on the same topic. Members, especially new members, should be greeted warmly and encouraged to post. If someone is breaking an actual forum rule, unless they repeat offender or it is a very serious offence, then a bit iof patience, empathy and an effort to let the person know what is going on but in a way that is respectful. People should not have to be all stressed out before posting. Two days is way too short. The important thing is it's relavance (as long as an actual forum rule isn't being violated).

Whirlzap
11-01-2011, 11:23 PM
No, necro-posting is more often than necro-repping.
I think people only necro-rep if they have a grudge against someone.

Also, there is Necro Reap. Er.
Don't forget that one^.

NECROREAPER
11-01-2011, 11:52 PM
Aikiebo, while I don't always agree with your posts, I always look forward to reading them as the always offer a radical yet insightful opinion from the opposing point of view.

*Dos Equis Man*
"I don't always like disagreeing posts, but when I do, I like Aikiebo's.

Stay interesting my friend"

Gaddy
11-02-2011, 03:36 AM
Agreed that necro-posting is usually worthless and therefore should be discouraged, but some people get unreasonable bent out of shape about it...

If a post has merit and can bear further discussion, then why start a whole new post about it, especially because someone might have already said some insightful things about it!

"Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it..."

Uepauke
11-02-2011, 03:45 AM

THIS.

Particularly if the old thread WAS useful and still relevant. And then if someone starts a new thread because they don't have time to go through 100s of old posts, they get criticized for that.

Still, not fussed either way, I don't mind necroed posts and it's funny watching people stomping in on them too.

Battlelock
11-02-2011, 09:29 AM

THIS.

Particularly if the old thread WAS useful and still relevant. And then if someone starts a new thread because they don't have time to go through 100s of old posts, they get criticized for that.

Still, not fussed either way, I don't mind necroed posts and it's funny watching people stomping in on them too.

Here, here. Well said, well spoken! Because I, too, like pie. :eek:

Duped
11-02-2011, 11:38 AM
I know this only shows my total forumnoobness but getting onto people for posting on an old thread is amusing to me too. Sort of like worrying about what your rep is on a mmorpg forum. Should people go back and negative rep a guy for an old post, probably not. Should I really care? Probably not.

Skeletonlord
11-02-2011, 11:40 AM
did this before

Gluttony
11-02-2011, 11:46 AM
Sure it sucks when you find out that you got neg rep over something you said a year ago, but would you want to be thanked or receive +1 rep over some help you gave someone around the same time? There are plenty of threads that deserve a second look and some action. It's too bad that you seem to be focusing on the negative aspect of the rep system being able to affect older threads, try looking at the positive. Besides, what can you do to try to stop it? Make threads before the implementation of the rep system off limits?

Ladylove
11-02-2011, 12:31 PM
Someone been talkin bout my mama?

blox
11-02-2011, 06:11 PM
they do necro reppping to confuse people and play jokes

Battlelock
11-02-2011, 06:25 PM
Someone been talkin bout my mama?

Whhaaatttt? Who told you? I only said she makes the most delicious home made blueberry pies!

Scouts Honor :cool:

LINKERY(Link)
11-02-2011, 06:30 PM

Oh wait....

Lol I figured u post something like that! ^_^

dudetus
05-01-2013, 03:10 AM
I think it isn't an actual problem...

Ks_Leon
05-01-2013, 03:29 AM
^^^^ LOL Ninja...necro....

The Happiness
05-01-2013, 04:11 AM
I think it isn't an actual problem...

Dude??????

Psyche
05-01-2013, 04:31 AM
Which is worse: creating a new thread for a topic for which a thread (or multiple threads) already exists, or posting to a relevant thread that just happens to be an old one? I would prefer the latter, since it shows that at least the poster has the awareness to use the search function to find the appropriate thread for his/her topic. Ultimately, why does it matter when the thread was created anyway?

The Sadness
05-01-2013, 05:07 AM
I've noticed lately that people are going back into year old posts and downrepping people? What is up with that? Isn't that just as bad as necro posting?

Opinions? Thoughts?

Note: I am not a victim of this except on an occasion or two. It has just been something that has been occurring on my mind when I see it done to others.
Thanks for useful post.

tHelonestud
05-01-2013, 07:19 AM
I would agree with you, Otu, I have seen much damage done through this 'necro-posting'. It needs to be stopped.

Zeus
05-01-2013, 08:49 AM
I would agree with you, Otu, I have seen much damage done through this 'necro-posting'. It needs to be stopped.

-___- You made me remember that Chris used to post not too long ago. Ugh, I miss him! :/

Delphina
05-01-2013, 08:31 PM
Thread closed. Please do not necro threads.