PDA

View Full Version : Stop In-Game Harassment

serprus
11-02-2011, 12:17 AM
I have made notice that a lot of people in game are harassing others for lots of different reasons. I believe this is extremely immature and childish of people to do. We want this game to remain enjoyable for everyone and everyone needs to do there part in keeping that way. I am not going to point fingers or name names but you know who you are, and some things that are said to people can be taken the wrong way and hurt them. I have not been a victim of this but and just making this known for others to help prevent!

Lets continue to make this game enjoyable for everyone who plays :)

Skeletonlord
11-02-2011, 12:19 AM
I agree with you!

JaytB
11-02-2011, 12:22 AM
The easiest way to deal with it is called the 'mute button' :)

CanonicalKoi
11-02-2011, 12:30 AM
The easiest way to deal with it is called the 'mute button' :)

Or even the "Ignore" button. ;) But yes, it is the easiest way to deal with it and it prevents you from answering in kind. Of course, you can also report anything out of line, but the Ignore button is a great first line of defense.

JazzBlue
11-02-2011, 12:31 AM
screenshot & report if it is repeated.

If it's a constant issue from someone, the STS devs have ALL the chat logs to review and will clean out any undesirables.

wizardstarr
11-02-2011, 12:33 AM
Thank you for being a friend and helping me with the bad guy :) and my sister also says thanks :D

JaytB
11-02-2011, 12:34 AM
Or even the "Ignore" button. ;) But yes, it is the easiest way to deal with it and it prevents you from answering in kind. Of course, you can also report anything out of line, but the Ignore button is a great first line of defense.

Naa, I'm pretty sure I meant the 'mute' button ;)

Liathea
11-02-2011, 10:52 AM
Yeah, they changed the name in the last update. The functionality is the same, so who cares what it's called?

JaytB
11-02-2011, 10:54 AM
Yeah, they changed the name in the last update. The functionality is the same, so who cares what it's called?

Maybe the one who's searching for an 'ignore button' but can't find one?

The Royal Gaurd
11-02-2011, 10:59 AM
All i can say is, it's just a game, if you don't wanna play nice, don't play it at all!

Samhayne
11-02-2011, 11:01 AM
We take reports of harassment, or any activity that violates the game's Terms of Service: http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?27985-Star-Legends-Terms-of-Service, very seriously.

We recommend that you make use of the "Report" button and notify us about the offending user's behavior first and then use the "Mute" button so you don't have to be bothered by them any further. Then, get back to having fun! :)

The Royal Gaurd
11-02-2011, 11:03 AM
hmmm just say a guy with a vugarity as his name, how is this possible samhayne?

JaytB
11-02-2011, 11:06 AM

Same goes for vulgar names. Report them, devs can't catch all these names by themselves :)

Samhayne
11-02-2011, 11:07 AM

Our filters only catch so much. If we made them catch everything that could possible be offensive, it would be very hard to make a name :) If you see someone with a bad name, please report them using the Report button when you tap on their avatar. Thanks!

Yvonnel
ignore button and /report

Use them.

Tapatalk'd from my PowerWashed Fascinate

The Royal Gaurd
reported this guy a few days back but he's still running around blackstar today?!

Skeletonlord
11-02-2011, 11:27 AM
reported this guy a few days back but he's still running around blackstar today?!

It takes a few days for the devs to notice. You could pm samhayne, the community guy and tell him about your problem.

Valkax
11-02-2011, 11:52 AM
Our filters only catch so much. If we made them catch everything that could possible be offensive, it would be very hard to make a name :) If you see someone with a bad name, please report them using the Report button when you tap on their avatar. Thanks!

Speaking of chat filters, are there any plans to relax them a bit? I have to be careful how I phrase things or I can get muted/warned for completely normal conversations.

Example:

I need a good L35 weapon = I nee* * **od L35 weapon.
<response>
God that's expensive = God that* **expensive
<automatic 5 minute mute>

If people are being offensive that's why the mute/report buttons are there, and there's nothing stopping you from silently flagging conversation logs and checking for yourselves.

Typing on a touchscreen is hard enough without getting censored for no reason. If people really want to swear in game it's completely trivial to misspell words and pass the filters.

CanonicalKoi
11-02-2011, 12:07 PM
Naa, I'm pretty sure I meant the 'mute' button ;)

Hey! Who stole my Ignore button???!?? (looks for sneaky Op). Lol, Jay. I never even noticed the change. :)

roufus
11-02-2011, 12:11 PM
Yes I agree with the chat filter plus I keep getting muted for like the craziest things but I can see how people would take ot out of context but it is annoying like the other day I was doing runs and saw a raccoon on my porch and decided to share and got muted

The Royal Gaurd
11-02-2011, 12:49 PM
Speaking of chat filters, are there any plans to relax them a bit? I have to be careful how I phrase things or I can get muted/warned for completely normal conversations.

Example:

I need a good L35 weapon = I nee* * **od L35 weapon.
<response>
God that's expensive = God that* **expensive
<automatic 5 minute mute>

If people are being offensive that's why the mute/report buttons are there, and there's nothing stopping you from silently flagging conversation logs and checking for yourselves.

Typing on a touchscreen is hard enough without getting censored for no reason. If people really want to swear in game it's completely trivial to misspell words and pass the filters.

yeah and this as well:

Omigosh i finally got it! = omigosh i finally go* **!

CanonicalKoi
11-02-2011, 12:58 PM
For the stuff that won't get you muted, if you go into the Options menu and uncheck "Filter Chat", you won't see the Asterisks of Great Annoyance anymore. You'll go from seeing this:
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll81/Moorit/filter1.png

To seeing this:
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll81/Moorit/filter2.png

I keep mine turned off because, as much as I like puzzles, trying to parse what people were trying to say took too long. ;)

Dracula
11-02-2011, 01:02 PM
For the stuff that won't get you muted, if you go into the Options menu and uncheck "Filter Chat", you won't see the Asterisks of Great Annoyance anymore. You'll go from seeing this:

I keep mine turned off because, as much as I like puzzles, trying to parse what people were trying to say took too long. ;)

LOL @ ****ing below the belt.

mejslll
11-02-2011, 01:59 PM
i have a better ides for pl and sl, it can be a earned position (or a plat bought lol kidding) were a group of "police" monitor and report back on what is found and a person gets a number of times to make a mistake... then a hour suspention, then a day, then a week, then a month, then three months and so on...

here is the thing i see ppl who have been part of pl for along time at wits end... being taunted and insulted over and over... then when they lash out in frustration they get some sort of suspention, should they? shouldnt they? any how that is not for me to decided, it is for me to say or offer not just a complaint - but a soultion... you want to really make this a life like game - blow ppl minds? lets set up a court system... fair and just

i also want a salary 350k a month lol it really is a good idea

with respect mejslll

mejslll
11-02-2011, 02:01 PM
yeah and this as well:

Omigosh i finally got it! = omigosh i finally go* **!

ya this is not even close to being a fair way to treat players, spell check could easily change dex in to sex or duck in to some thing else...

need better ajustments

CanonicalKoi
11-02-2011, 02:39 PM
i have a better ides for pl and sl, it can be a earned position (or a plat bought lol kidding) were a group of "police" monitor and report back on what is found and a person gets a number of times to make a mistake... then a hour suspention, then a day, then a week, then a month, then three months and so on...

here is the thing i see ppl who have been part of pl for along time at wits end... being taunted and insulted over and over... then when they lash out in frustration they get some sort of suspention, should they? shouldnt they? any how that is not for me to decided, it is for me to say or offer not just a complaint - but a soultion... you want to really make this a life like game - blow ppl minds? lets set up a court system... fair and just

i also want a salary 350k a month lol it really is a good idea

with respect mejslll

Nah, we're a self-policing group--that's why *everybody* has a report button and the option of using it. No need to make that someone's "job" since it's all our "job". :)

As far as typos, they happen to everyone. Every single time I've been muted has been for the phrase, "just a sec" except "sec" was misspelled when I tried typing in too much of a hurry and didn't look at it before hitting return. Lol! I really need to put that as a pre-set phrase. :/ Nobody is going to get banned for the occasional typo and, even supposing they were, you can always send the Devs an email explaining what happened and let them investigate the chat logs. No worries.

mejslll
11-02-2011, 02:42 PM
Nah, we're a self-policing group--that's why *everybody* has a report button and the option of using it. No need to make that someone's "job" since it's all our "job". :)

As far as typos, they happen to everyone. Every single time I've been muted has been for the phrase, "just a sec" except "sec" was misspelled when I tried typing in too much of a hurry and didn't look at it before hitting return. Lol! I really need to put that as a pre-set phrase. :/ Nobody is going to get banned for the occasional typo and, even supposing they were, you can always send the Devs an email explaining what happened and let them investigate the chat logs. No worries.

is that working?

mejslll
11-02-2011, 02:45 PM
yes ppl have been banned for time periods for typos., so they say

Liathea
11-02-2011, 02:47 PM
Yeah, before I turned off filter, it could be interesting trying to figure out what was being said, or what I did wrong. I like word puzzles and all, but yeah. xD

CanonicalKoi
11-02-2011, 03:26 PM
yes ppl have been banned for time periods for typos., so they say

To answer both your posts (and you can always hit "Edit Post" and add to a post if you left something out ;) ): yes, it seems to be working and, as you say, people say they've been banned for typos but only they and the Devs know what they actually typed. Since I know I'm apt to mess up typing "sec", I now know to look at it before hitting enter--the first mute or two should give you a heads-up about proof-reading prior to sending. If it's a ban for an oops, all they have to do is send an email to support(at)spacetimestudios.com (replacing (at) with @), explain the situation and let the Devs sort it out. After all, it's pretty easy to tell from the context whether or not someone meant to type an "unallowed word" or not.

Yvonnel
11-02-2011, 03:38 PM
Never been muted. I don't understand how people keep saying they get muted for innocent things. My suggestion, pay attention to what you type, because you don't get muted if it doesn't flag the filter.

Tapatalk'd from my PowerWashed Fascinate

Hullukko
11-02-2011, 04:11 PM
Our filters only catch so much. If we made them catch everything that could possible be offensive, it would be very hard to make a name :)

True. Bu* ** seems to me that the current filters might benefit from a careful ****ysis, too. ;)