PDA

View Full Version : Elixir-holics Anonymous

kiitz
11-03-2011, 06:29 PM
Welcome to the first meeting for Elixir-holics Anonymous!

Elixir-holics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from Elixir-holism. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop using Thrasher Elixirs.

Okay, just joking around.

I am an Elixir-holic, and honestly I like doing "thrasher" runs with fellow elixir-holics to maximize XP gain and increase the number of runs a group can per hour. I know there are many of you out there as well, so I was wondering if a list of individuals who use elixirs basically 24/7 would be of interest. Everyone can add each other and finding other people to do "thrasher" runs would be easier.

I am not sure how this post is going to go over on the forum. I can see some potential blow back from people who think people who use elixirs all the time are - wasting their money, or lazy, or any number of other negative things. The truth is, I went through a careful cost/benefit analysis and found that spending money on plat to buy 4x elixirs made sense for me. I have a full-time job which affords me disposable income. Playing with an elixir is quite enjoyable and the value I put on that is at least if not more than watching a movie in theaters or enjoying a cup of starbucks for 30 minutes or so. Since I work full-time, I have a limited amount of time after work and on weekends to play this game. Maximizing that play time, experience gain and overall enjoyment is worth the $89.99 in platinum every so often.

Anyway, enough of my rationalization for my elixir usage (denial - i'm not an elixir-holic). Let's start this list and see if it gets off the ground. If not, or there is no interest, then... we'll just let this post fall into the abyss that is old ignored posts. I'll update the list with anyone who posts. I should probably note that if you actually want to be added to the list... then write down your IGN.

Elixir-holics:
Kiitz
Kiitx
Kiittx
Dalinuel
Walkhardd

Fncrazy
11-03-2011, 06:47 PM
I think sts needs to add more elix options. 2x combo for an hr. , a 3x dmg,armor,and spd for a hr for those tht have already reached lvl cap. It is not right to charge us for the xp part of the elix when we have reached the cap.

Dalinuel
11-03-2011, 07:04 PM
I am a elixer-holic! I love the damage and run speed I get!

Moogerfooger
11-03-2011, 07:12 PM
I think sts needs to add more elix options. 2x combo for an hr. , a 3x dmg,armor,and spd for a hr for those tht have already reached lvl cap. It is not right to charge us for the xp part of the elix when we have reached the cap.

No one is forcing you to buy elixirs. So don't buy them, or buy the dmg/armor/luck ones instead of the combos ones.

-----

I have used elixirs a lot here and there, and they are a lot of fun, and I am a working professional as well so it helps leveling as my play time is limited. The issue with nonstop elixir usage is that you forget how to play without them, or that your skills needed to survive without them diminish. It is easy to blast through maps when all members are elixired up....and then hilarious to see the same players flounder about dying left and right without them because they have forgotten teamwork and tactics and are not nearly invincible. Heck, I did it myself for a bit after I hit 61 and started doing normal non-elixir runs :)

MoarPewPew
11-03-2011, 07:36 PM
Ill take my 5 min free elixir and I am happy. No need to spend. :P

kiitz
11-03-2011, 07:44 PM
No one is forcing you to buy elixirs. So don't buy them, or buy the dmg/armor/luck ones instead of the combos ones.

-----

I have used elixirs a lot here and there, and they are a lot of fun, and I am a working professional as well so it helps leveling as my play time is limited. The issue with nonstop elixir usage is that you forget how to play without them, or that your skills needed to survive without them diminish. It is easy to blast through maps when all members are elixired up....and then hilarious to see the same players flounder about dying left and right without them because they have forgotten teamwork and tactics and are not nearly invincible. Heck, I did it myself for a bit after I hit 61 and started doing normal non-elixir runs :)

True, but there will always be bad players on elixirs and bad players off elixirs. The only difference is that the bad players off elixirs will just stand behind the group the entire time not doing much, or just repeatedly die if they do go in. Bad players on elixirs don't suddenly become amazing either. Elixired baddies run around spamming random skills and though they now do more, its still not too great. Also, there are a lot of things that people do outside of damage - like healing when a team member is slowed, or timing mega combos. The worst thing for me is actually just the run speed decrease. I literally feel like I've come down off a high when the elixir runs out.

Moogerfooger
11-03-2011, 07:48 PM
True, but there will always be bad players on elixirs and bad players off elixirs. The only difference is that the bad players off elixirs will just stand behind the ground the entire time, or just repeatedly die if they do go in. Bad players on elixirs don't suddenly become amazing either, because there are a lot of things that people do outside of damage - like healing when a team member is slowed, or timing mega combos. The worst thing for me is actually just the run speed decrease. I literally feel like I've come down off a high when the elixir runs out.

Agreed, but disagree...bad players with elixirs are of course bad without them, and good ones are still good ones....but average players who get used to playing with elixirs often - and I have seen it and I am sure others can attest to it as well - become worse players without. Suddenly they are not nuking mobs and struggle to deal with it. I am not talking about those that wander around aimlessly, or stand at the back on just auto, either. Have seen it repeatedly, and seen players I thought were alright before the mad 56 > 61 rush turn in some awful performances off of elixirs. Myself included on some occasions :D

Zeus
11-03-2011, 07:56 PM
Are mojitos allowed? You can't exclude the mango and mint ones. :)

blox
11-03-2011, 08:59 PM
just be glad we actually have combo elixir everyday instead of one time elixir for 15 min long ago, sts gave it to us cause they are nice, so use it wisely

LoveMadrid
11-04-2011, 02:15 AM
Me too...

I WAS a Elixirholic until i hit 61 couple months ago = /

zeusabe
11-04-2011, 05:29 AM
I would understand people using elixirs once in a while, but throughout? It's pointless. It's not about you affording it, it's about how you play the game. MMORPG's aren't supposed to be a race to level cap. Elixirs, in my opinion, are supposed to be treated as a bonus not as a necessity, if it were, then I'd drop PL in a heartbeat and get a pay-to-play game like WoW, Rift, Eve, Aion, City of Heroes, etc. You'd really get your money's worth in those games compared to PL if you want to talk about getting a money's worth. No time, little time, many time? So what? LOL, you're taking this game way too seriously if you feel the pressure to invest time, it's just a game my friend, a game. Anyway, good luck, hope to see you in-game..with your elixir on? LOL.

PS: I think I can afford all the in-game platinum required to reach 61 and buy all the gold to purchase the best items around...what's the point if I do that? ;)

kiitz
11-04-2011, 10:49 AM
Well, I guess the "blow back" thing is starting from some people, and thats fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion on what makes sense and doesn't make sense for them. "MMORPG's aren't supposed to be a race to level cap" Again, everyone plays MMORPGs differently. Some people are into the actual roleplaying, some people are in it to get the best gear so they can PvP at the end, and some people like to idly stroll along and smell the flowers on the journey. Each person will enjoy the game in their own way, so if I wanna level 3 characters to max and do it in the time I have available to me, why not? If you don't care about having max level characters, I'm not going to tell you that you are wrong for not getting to end game content or playing a certain way.

I used to play wow actually, but there are other constraints that lead me to PL, namely the portability of the game and the more casual nature of the game which allows you to pick up and play, as opposed to logging on at the same time 3-4x per week to attend a scheduled raid, or setting aside a few hours to push rating in arena.

If you purchased plat-> gold and bought all the best items and your only goal in the game were to obtain all the best items, then you would be finished with the game pretty quickly. However, if you PvPed at max level with the best items, then you wouldn't be too different than many of the max level players who elixired to get there and continue to play after they have all the best items.

Basically, you are taking too narrow a view of how to play this game.

Snakespeare
11-04-2011, 10:49 AM
Zeus, I have been playing FRPs for a very, very long time. In D&D they scale the XP needed to advance, and they scale the XP you get from high level monsters. Furthermore, as you advance and you armor improves, so do the monsters, and it is the DM's job to balance it so the challenge remains even as you advance. In this game, they scale the XP but they do not scale the XP you get. Furthermore, they make the high level monsters harder and harder to hit, and they get through your armor more easily no matter how good it is. Therefore, this game is designed to require elixirs at high levels.

I had an anti-elixir attitude based on playing for a year and a half here, and I even had to take a month long break because I could not stand the inequity of the mobs getting through our armor more easily as we advance. But then I understood it. The devs give it all away free except they make it so, if you want to be high level, you have to use elixirs.

Without elixirs, how can a casual player get three classes to level cap? He can't. Only a person who has no job, who doesn't do his homework or chores, or is retired can spend the amount of time it takes to level without elixirs.

So, support your devs. Buy elixirs.

Walkhardd
11-04-2011, 11:03 AM
You can add me to list...I work 50 + hours a week and I'm married with a kid..I'm far from lazy..just the only way I can keep up with the kids in this game lol :)

MimeRifle
11-04-2011, 11:10 AM
You can add me to list...I work 50 + hours a week and I'm married with a kid..I'm far from lazy..just the only way I can keep up with the kids in this game lol :)

Exactly!! Whippersnappers!