PDA

View Full Version : Tank Mage Build?

Deathlyreaper
02-02-2018, 11:40 PM
I decided to post this here because I need a lot of opinions and feedback. So I noticed that quite a few mages go to Maus with full str and little damage. They just rely on their wildifre to proc and do damage for them. What are your thoughts on this? Is this good or bad? Is this actually beneficial?
I am wondering whether or not i should do this to help with my runs

Veenihiv
02-02-2018, 11:51 PM
U don't really need to sacrifice dmg and int and go for full str build when there is Voice Set.. 3/5 Voice Set with a few nature jewels with do the job

Suentous PO
02-03-2018, 12:09 AM
Only reason I don't openly make fun of them is that maybe they're new or too poor to spend on pots, ankhs, and gear.
Only reason to be str is to protect yourself at the expense of the pt, or a pvp build that won't respec for pve.
Live on the edge, be smexy go full int

Java
02-03-2018, 02:59 AM
Only reason I don't openly make fun of them is that maybe they're new or too poor to spend on pots, ankhs, and gear.
Only reason to be str is to protect yourself at the expense of the pt, or a pvp build that won't respec for pve.
Live on the edge, be smexy go full intI'd give you thanks but I think I used all my rep on every other thing you ever posted. [emoji8]

PsychoNuke
02-03-2018, 04:19 AM
This:

U don't really need to sacrifice dmg and int and go for full str build when there is Voice Set.. 3/5 Voice Set with a few nature jewels with do the job
And this:

Live on the edge, be smexy go full int
Sums it up.

Mage should develop their play style on full int build. I played gy and maus with level 61 Legendary Brut gear, slotted with only nature jewels [Reason: 1) I was new to the game and could only afford that. 2)I like to test and choose the best gear myself for my playstyle]. I died in the beginning but I kept playing, learning the mobs/boss mechanics to avoid death and it only made me stronger. It made me understand my class, when and how to time my skills, when to wait/when to strike, basically it improved my overall gameplay.
I personally like the excitement of full int, partially a reason why I try to solo most of the hard content. Now I have better gear, slotted with better gems, tuned to my playstyle. You don't spawn in "GOD Mode" in any game, you make your way to it. My Personal Conclusion: Level 66 Brut gear with mind/nature jewels is good enough for gy/maus and dreamscape.

Sure, you can go full Str, it will be very comfortable I guess: lots of health, low dmg will give you low threat, keeping enemies off you. What's next? Tanks without Taunts :p

At the end of the day its your game, you should play the way you want. Don't go full str or full int because others do it. Don't stop playing the content because you don't have OP gear. Get out there and experience your self to know what is better for you.

Xxkayakxx
02-03-2018, 08:28 AM
I used to be a full dex mage for maus runs before completing my set xD
Wasn’t bad at all, in my opinion better balance hp/dmg/dodge/crit than full str (comparing with same equip).
I got used to it and changed relatively recently in full int, that thanks to full voice set and full noble mind, is good :)

I quote psikonuke, people adapt to their gameplay and to gear they can afford. Sometimes you get used to things and don’t even try differently....that is my suggestion, as for me worked xD
Being a mage in mausoleum without good gear can be really stressfull, so mages that do that have all my understanding....
But obviusly running with equipped mages is better xD

Abuze
02-03-2018, 09:32 AM
People so eager to say nightmare set, buy voice set but the cost of those are a lot. Some people just rather keep on farming gold and not investing on anything else while they're saving up gold.
We all know how deadly the wildfire proc can be and without making fun of those who go full STR it is very understandable why they do.
Full STR isn't as bad at most post on this thread claim it is, I used it on mage too when I first tried out mau 5-6 and it obviously wasn't the fastest way to run mau but it has some stability in sense of surviving. My mage doesn't have the best gear hence my trying out a full STR build. The only reason a full INT mage with bad gear would do well in mau 5-6 is if the players in the map know what they're doing, which is not the case in random maps from my experience.
I could some up more reasons why full STR could be beneficial but you get the point I hope :)

Ucamaeben
02-03-2018, 09:37 AM
I personally don’t care what build people use, as long as the party stays alive and the run in fluid.

It bothers me when people get all up tight about how someone builds out their character. I’ll party with anyone provided it’s good company and people are friendly.

I would recommend playing the standard stats builds and tweaking based on weapon choice (proc) and jewel load out.

Kakashis
02-03-2018, 11:19 AM
It's fine with a full str build if that player is starting out and a little poor, I get it. What bothers me are the players with super expensive equips and vanities who still don't use ankhs at the expense of slowing down the party. So silly to see them stay dead even at a boss! You know who u are lol

Gouiwaa9000
02-03-2018, 02:11 PM
4 mages with flame staff and full str build , highest damage in our party was around 720 . We didint even notice the mobs , everything is just fire-starter XD Feel free to use that as long as :

1) you have flame staff for mobs and dragon staff for the bosses ( drag staff is optional , but have fun killing a boss with 600 dmg and nothing to stack your wildfire XD )
2) you can quickly stack the proc

Lolifee
02-03-2018, 02:47 PM
I used to go mainly Str and reached 10k HP without set.
I do not see anything bad with going full Str, you will stay alive way better.
I used Immo tho but I guess its the same with Wildfire. Only the proc matters so why dont put all in HP to survive longer?
I cant see why anybody would make fun of that.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G950F mit Tapatalk

Drone
02-03-2018, 02:49 PM
So full STR build is for poor/new people only?

Lolifee
02-03-2018, 03:30 PM
So full STR build is for poor/new people only?I use str build and i'm not too new.

Everybody who is making fun of full str is happylie invited to join me :)

Pm me on Forum or Ign Aluhut.

Suentous PO
02-03-2018, 03:54 PM
I'd give you thanks but I think I used all my rep on every other thing you ever posted. [emoji8]
:love_heart: backatcha

Eh, str is for anyone who enjoys it lel idrc. I will say it's usually less efficient, my goal is to see crippled enemies die quickly on an industrial scale for $
No trigger pls ;P

Drone
02-03-2018, 03:57 PM
I use str build and i'm not too new.

Everybody who is making fun of full str is happylie invited to join me :)

Pm me on Forum or Ign Aluhut.

Glad I'm not the only one lmao. Although I don't run maus anymore cuz I just found out people are making fun of my str build

YeaSheGamez
02-03-2018, 06:22 PM
I don't run much maus but when i do i perfer str mages over int mage. (Only if they have flame/drag) honestly as long as you stay alive and pull your weight idrc.

And the reason may not be that their "poor" maybe they are thinking "most cost efficient" why waste money on nightmare and voice when you can run it just fine with gear waaayyy cheaper?

Or maybe some are thinking long-term knowing sts is going to release new gear in the future so they wait for that.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

Paw
02-03-2018, 06:34 PM
When i first started i had both hex and immo staff and i used a str build. Mainly because i couldnt afford the voice sets at the time. Slowly upgraded to voice and now im using nightmare set and am full INT. The biggest problem i have with str build is that the weapon procs take a lot lot longer and happen less often.

As for mages who use str cos they cant afford the best gear. I fully agree with their decision. Afterall a dead mage does no damage.

PsychoNuke
02-03-2018, 09:34 PM

No, its a personal choice at the end of the day. The point is don't do it, unless you have a reason :)

I don't run much maus but when i do i perfer str mages over int mage. (Only if they have flame/drag) honestly as long as you stay alive and pull your weight idrc.

And the reason may not be that their "poor" maybe they are thinking "most cost efficient" why waste money on nightmare and voice when you can run it just fine with gear waaayyy cheaper?

Or maybe some are thinking long-term knowing sts is going to release new gear in the future so they wait for that.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

The Full Str built was introduced specifically because players felt underpowered at the beginning of Somber expansion (this is before mythic gear was released and dreamscape expansion came out). The mobs and bosses were balanced a lot after that, but the trend continued with maus 5 and 6 released, and it continues with level66 gears at hand. Point: Sts will keep releasing expansions and gears, I don't think that is affecting the trend.

My perspective: What are they going to do if tomorrow flame forged staff and drag staff is nerfed? Will mage continue to ignore their main stat just to stay alive in hard maps?

PS: @Other Posts: I do not see anyone making fun of Str build here.

Drone
02-03-2018, 09:49 PM
No, its a personal choice at the end of the day. The point is don't do it, unless you have a reason :)...

You said it yourself, eh...kinda...

Btw, I’m just curious, any of the people who are against immo/flame/drag staff/STR build have ever been in a party with a couple of mages with this particular built who know what they’re doing?

Motherless_Child
02-03-2018, 10:07 PM

Just curious......

If you are not "poor" or "new" (some "old players" fall in the poor category), what could possibly bring you to go full STR on a mage?

Seems to kind of defy logic.

Suentous PO
02-03-2018, 10:11 PM

Btw, I’m just curious, any of the people who are against immo/flame/drag staff/STR build have ever been in a party with a couple of mages with this particular built who know what they’re doing?

Yes, more often than I would like.
Str/hex are slower than my pure int geared up friends, and even slower when they heal because they are trying to stay alive and save me pots.

There are two camps:
Stay alive/help buff at the expense of killing faster
Vs
Do as much damage as posible as quickly as possible even if it's more dangerous

Not really a right or wrong. I am however personally more concerned with quickly being effective despite death.

Ps out of thx Psycho & M C ;)

Motherless_Child
02-03-2018, 10:32 PM

The issue with the flame staff is that it's a good "strictly secondary" weapon....... While it works well on mobs most of the time, it does no justice for boss fights (especially spawning boss mobs, the low damage proc makes boss mobs take longer to kill and spawns stack sometimes, dmg also bad vs. boss).... Same with the drag staff, a good secondary weapon.... The drag staff is wonderful vs. bosses but, worthless vs. mobs.......

Poorer people usually end up with the flame staff because it's primarily a mob weapon and your mob weapon is basically your primary weapon. Those that can afford the higher end weapons for their primary weapon will be least likely to mess around with the flame staff due to it's drastically low stats, though richer people will still use it at times.

Pro(s):
Good vs mobs.

Con(s):
Not good vs. boss fights

Best used as a secondary weapon.

And with the right "mob mechanics", and skill setup, having the flame staff's "proc" present isn't really all that vital/necessary........

Motherless_Child
02-03-2018, 10:51 PM
Yes, more often than I would like.
Str/hex are slower than my pure int geared up friends, and even slower when they heal because they are trying to stay alive and save me pots.

Ditto that.....

Those full strength mages do not realize that a "full STR mage" is a "personal" build..... Basically, the full strength will make the mage more "durable" but, the mage will do "epic low" damage which helps out the full strength mage but does not help the PT... It's like, a full strength mage will not be able to really get through any of the tougher maps "unless" there is a "good" PT that will do the slaying, hence my reference to it as a "personal" build (funny thing is the full strength mage probably uses heal too, also "non-PT essential")......

Mage = support class........... "Full STR build" and "heal" = "unsupportive".

PsychoNuke
02-03-2018, 11:07 PM

:) I think there are better takeaways from my post.
But anyway, to answer your question, I've been on both sides of the spectrum, because as I said: I try every build to choose best suited for me and tune it according to my playstyle. Full int always been my go to.

Also, here is something extra to get you going:
1Int = 3 health [+ Mana, Dmg and Bonus dmg]
1Dex = 5 health [+ Dodge (useless for mage) and Crit(increases dmg/dps value slightly)]
1Str = 10 health [+ Nothing]

Noble Mind gives 8 Int = 24 health. (If you buy it will cost you around 600k)
Noble Nature gives 96 health can be farmed very easily in kt4, so they are basically free. (If you buy it will cost you around 300k)

Best gears to choose from:
Full Level 61 Brutality set
Full Level 66 Brutality set
Mythic Balance set + Illu/Ellon mythic belt
Full Voice Set
Full Nightmare Set
[+Arc Ring/Deary Ring(others might curse you xD), Arc Pendent/Planar Pendent]

Weapons:
Dusk Brut Gun/Staff
Balance Gun/Staff
Flame Forged staff
Immortal staff
Dragon staff

Now feel free to test with these to know what can be the best build for you in your budget;)

Drone
02-04-2018, 12:36 AM
When I used to run maus:

Immo staff
Balanced set
Lvl 58 belt
Speed set
Spooky artifact
FULL STR BUILD

11k hp
4.8k armor
10 dmg (unbuffed)

I did alright, never had problems getting invites for m5-6.
SELLING THIS SET MINUS DRAG STAFF BTW :chuncky:

Lolifee
02-04-2018, 03:59 AM
When I used to run maus:

Immo staff
Balanced set
Lvl 58 belt
Speed set
Spooky artifact
FULL STR BUILD

11k hp
4.8k armor
10 dmg (unbuffed)

SELLING THIS SET MINUS DRAG STAFF BTW :chuncky:Ur missing Ds :)

I was using simiular gear. Worked perfectly fine. Figured out that these runs with 1 Tank, 1 Immo mage and 2 dmg rogs are extremly quick.
I remember a short map m6 cleared in under 7 min. But that depends mostly on the map.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G950F mit Tapatalk

PsychoNuke
02-04-2018, 05:01 AM
When I used to run maus:

Immo staff
Balanced set
Lvl 58 belt
Speed set
Spooky artifact
FULL STR BUILD

11k hp
4.8k armor
10 dmg (unbuffed)

SELLING THIS SET MINUS DRAG STAFF BTW :chuncky:

That's a nice build, but IMO you can have 5/5 Voice set within the cost of that Artifact, and can pull better stats in Full Int. Unless you got it as a drop, then its alright.
Only 10dmg! You mean 1k? 1k is not bad unbuffed, considering immo and drag are low level staff.

Just curious to know, do you run Elite Underhul on same build?

QuaseT
02-04-2018, 05:04 AM
How i made the 1k boss aps in mauso:
immo staff, drag staff, hex for some bosses
avarice set
nightmare helm/armor
sns with lucky stats/glowstick
full str build
Banish is the key especially if u have a good tank with 66 arc sword in pt. 550% gold loot and quick runs.

Xxkayakxx
02-04-2018, 06:50 AM
:) I think there are better takeaways from my post.
But anyway, to answer your question, I've been on both sides of the spectrum, because as I said: I try every build to choose best suited for me and tune it according to my playstyle. Full int always been my go to.

Also, here is something extra to get you going:
1Int = 3 health [+ Mana, Dmg and Bonus dmg]
1Dex = 5 health [+ Dodge (useless for mage) and Crit(increases dmg/dps value slightly)]
1Str = 10 health [+ Nothing]

Noble Mind gives 8 Int = 24 health. (If you buy it will cost you around 900k)
Noble Nature gives 96 health can be farmed very easily in kt4, so they are basically free. (If you buy it will cost you around 300k)

Best gears to choose from:
Full Level 61 Brutality set
Full Level 66 Brutality set
Mythic Balance set + Illu/Ellon mythic belt
Full Voice Set
Full Nightmare Set
[+Arc Ring/Deary Ring(others might curse you xD), Arc Pendent/Planar Pendent]

Weapons:
Dusk Brut Gun/Staff
Balance Gun/Staff
Flame Forged staff
Immortal staff
Dragon staff

Now feel free to test with these to know what can be the best build for you in your budget;)

Just to say that dodge is not that useless for mage :) when I was a full dex mage, I had 46% dodge and especially when you approach a wave, you can dodge many of the normal attacks. As I already told before, to me and my playstyle was better full dex then full str. More dmg, little less health, more dodge and crit. And again, now that I was able to complete voice set, I’m full int and fine with ;)

Alwarez
02-04-2018, 08:29 AM
Seems like merchers are desperate to sell there voice/night sets before love event. Procs don't need int stat to work and majority of enemies in pve dies from procs

Drone
02-04-2018, 11:01 AM
Seems like merchers are desperate to sell there voice/night sets before love event. Procs don't need int stat to work and majority of enemies in pve dies from procs

Exact reason I don't craft/buy voice set, same principle with the nightmare set. I don't die unless I tank/pull, and that's only when I'm slow on spamming pots.

@Lolifee can't run maus with no DS :)

PsychoNuke
02-04-2018, 12:00 PM
Just to say that dodge is not that useless for mage :) when I was a full dex mage, I had 46% dodge and especially when you approach a wave, you can dodge many of the normal attacks. As I already told before, to me and my playstyle was better full dex then full str. More dmg, little less health, more dodge and crit. And again, now that I was able to complete voice set, I’m full int and fine with ;)

Oh well that was my personal opinion based on my analysis and testing, just to give you perspective: Str give double health than Dex, and 1Dex gives around 0.05% Dodge. In your case 46% Dodge means the enemy will have 46% chance of missing the hit. But wait a min, A full Dex Build! :eek: why?
Sure you will see higher DMG/DPS value in theory, but Full dex can never beat the Bonus Damage % given by Full Int build. So its Less dmg, half the health and [dodge and crit (both only %chance)].

I did not test this build but now I am curious to know more about it...

PsychoNuke
02-04-2018, 12:06 PM
How i made the 1k boss aps in mauso:
immo staff, drag staff, hex for some bosses
avarice set
nightmare helm/armor
sns with lucky stats/glowstick
full str build
Banish is the key especially if u have a good tank with 66 arc sword in pt. 550% gold loot and quick runs.

This is a nice build, expensive but logical. I like how you compensated the stat loss from Avarise with Nightmare set. What were your stats on this build? if you can share.

Abuze
02-04-2018, 12:39 PM

Speaking from a rogue's perspective dodge is one of the most useless stats in game :)

Xxkayakxx
02-04-2018, 01:15 PM
Not THAT useless xD
Try 5% dodge and let me know ;)

Paw
02-04-2018, 06:16 PM
Anyone who has an immo and a nightmare set go and try it out solo or duo. Full int vs full str. U will notice the proc difference immediately. Same for drag blade rogues. Try full str and full dex and see how often ur weapon procs on both builds.

PsychoNuke
02-04-2018, 08:54 PM
Anyone who has an immo and a nightmare set go and try it out solo or duo. Full int vs full str. U will notice the proc difference immediately. Same for drag blade rogues. Try full str and full dex and see how often ur weapon procs on both builds.

Yes, it has been mentioned earlier in many threads how DPS attribute affects procs, and I have tested them as well. Higher dps gives higher chance on proc, though its pure RNG.

PsychoNuke
02-05-2018, 03:41 AM
Not THAT useless xD
Try 5% dodge and let me know ;)

I currently have 6% dodge in my Int build, with pet summoned. I dont feel its doing anything. Can you elaborate how it works?

Xxkayakxx
02-05-2018, 04:19 AM
I currently have 6% dodge in my Int build, with pet summoned. I dont feel its doing anything. Can you elaborate how it works?

My point was for a rogue to try a no-dodge % XD
Guess rogues doesn’t know mages hard life xD
Psiko if you like experiments, try full dex on your mage and let me know your thinking :) I don’t have many feedback on this. I used to run maus with decent gear (no set) and full dex (all mind jewels). My feeling compared to full str was less hits and generally speaking higher surival chances. Difference in hp wasn’t that high and better dmg, with good crit helping. So faster killing.
I was fine with my build but I was pretty unique in my choice xD
Let me know if you will give it a chance :)

PsychoNuke
02-05-2018, 07:59 AM
My point was for a rogue to try a no-dodge % XD
Guess rogues doesn’t know mages hard life xD
Psiko if you like experiments, try full dex on your mage and let me know your thinking :) I don’t have many feedback on this. I used to run maus with decent gear (no set) and full dex (all mind jewels). My feeling compared to full str was less hits and generally speaking higher surival chances. Difference in hp wasn’t that high and better dmg, with good crit helping. So faster killing.
I was fine with my build but I was pretty unique in my choice xD
Let me know if you will give it a chance :)

Cool, I will test it possibly after event, will post you in pm. Ty.

Bluehazee
02-05-2018, 08:39 AM
I started running maus with flame staff, balanced helm & armor, mythic belt, arc ring & pp, with 50%str 50%int build. This works ok if you can't afford better gear. Later i crafted voice set (5/5),bought immo staff and full int build. Runs were much better, mostly because immo staff needs grouped mobs to proc faster so i made big pulls with better armor from set. Actually im using full nm set, immo staff(also I have dragon, flame and balanced staffs), full int build and 99% of my deaths are because of curse(swapped from glowstik to nilbog when i bought nm set). I run with mages with different builds and gears and some of them die no matter gear. I've been always using same skills: Fireball(3/10 mastery), Time shift(10/10),Gale force(10/10) and Shield(10/10). From my experience, the most important thing to survive in maus is good skills choice and timing, and i found those good for my playstyle

Paw
02-05-2018, 08:58 AM
Totaly agree and i also use the same skill build. Excellent advice from the best mage ive run with in maus by far IMO :)

Earlingstad
02-05-2018, 09:18 AM
I would run with anybody and wouldnt judge their build or playstyle as long as its working for them. Dying less, using ankhs if dying, not staying dead until boss dies, atleast using speed set to get to team faster- these things matter more to me. The player should be wanting to contribute to teamplay. I would not like to run with a maxed/fantastic/creme de la creme player if his attitude isnt right. Ofcourse its faster with certain weapons but not everyone can afford or enjoy one particular thing.

Actually smart tanky mages are more fun to have in team when they know what they are doing. I expect crowd control from them. From rogues I expect the damage dealing.

Paw
02-05-2018, 10:19 AM
On this occasion i disagree. If ur relying on rogues to do the killing in maus ur doing something seriously wrong. Rogues with their dragon blades and traps are the crowd control in maus and mages do the killing/banishing

Abuze
02-05-2018, 10:22 AM
On this occasion i disagree. If ur relying on rogues to do the killing in maus ur doing something seriously wrong. Rogues with their dragon blades and traps are the crowd control in maus and mages do the killing/banishing

2 mage 2 rogue is actually a thing now, a faster way of clearing mau actually. But ofcourse rogue has to be maxed out basically so not for everyone :)

Paw
02-05-2018, 12:25 PM
2 mage 2 rogue is actually a thing now, a faster way of clearing mau actually. But ofcourse rogue has to be maxed out basically so not for everyone :)

Yes ive recently switched back to rogue from mage to get the 1k maus ap. Rogues are a lot better now than they were but as you have already mentioned, a mage can run with cheap gear on STR build with a 300k hex and still be decent, rogue needs full set or very good friends to be concidered in any serious pt

Xxkayakxx
02-05-2018, 01:09 PM

Is nice when rogues kills curse mages on spot :)
Btw with some Nilbog/Glow AA in pt is not that important....
I quote Earlingstad when he say the important thing is to run with people that knows what to do :)
I run with mages rogues tanks and is always good when they are experienced :) I’m not the one that looks at the fastest run ever xD I’m not pro enough xD

Ucamaeben
02-06-2018, 12:19 AM
I enjoy having rogues in maus party. I think the ideal party (well geared players) is 1 warrior with dragon sword, guard, or terror blade. 1 bow rogue, 1 dagger rogue, and a mage with immortal/dragon staff or flame/dragon.

Either that or 1 warrior, 1 rogue, and 2 mages.

2 warriors and two mages is a pretty easy run as well.

Jarelv
02-06-2018, 09:21 PM
Next a discussion on "Tanks". Many players you see use their tank as a substitute for rogue minus the crit%. Just being "tanky" would make solo runs slow but technically tanks aren't built for soloing. They are a support character. Taunting, buffing, and healing to help make sure their party doesn't go down along with themselves. My tank would piss you off with how little of dmg he puts out [emoji23] buuttttt you will appreciate not dieing, cowering, and boss respawning. It makes runs faster do to rogues and mages being able to concentrate on doing their part instead of running away. On another note, I wouldnt mind if STS buffed our Atk and DPS.... especially since I like to solo. [emoji23][emoji88]

Sent from my Alcatel 6055U using Tapatalk